Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Three Stooges Collection Vol. 8, June 1

BeAStooge · 548 · 116141

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Collection Vol 8 DVD: June 01, 2010 - June 07, 2010

Offline Mike Lipincranz

Stooge-A-Holics.....I am not complaining maybe I should.  I just watched Wham-Bam-Slam on Vol.8.  In my copy---there were 2 deleted scenes that pissed me off.......1. When the boys are changing the tire and it rolls away to chase it and get into a fight with the repairman at the garage.......2. when Emil Sitka comes out from behind the tree to buy the car from Claude..........My copy has those scenes missing........I hope SONY knows this,,,,I wonder what happened, maybe it is my copy?????  Anyone view this short and see the same thing I did?????

Mike

Offline FineBari3

Stooge-A-Holics.....I am not complaining maybe I should.  I just watched Wham-Bam-Slam on Vol.8.  In my copy---there were 2 deleted scenes that pissed me off.......1. When the boys are changing the tire and it rolls away to chase it and get into a fight with the repairman at the garage.......2. when Emil Sitka comes out from behind the tree to buy the car from Claude..........My copy has those scenes missing........I hope SONY knows this,,,,I wonder what happened, maybe it is my copy?????  Anyone view this short and see the same thing I did?????

Mike

Are you are getting that mixed up with it's evil twin short "Pardon My Backfire"?
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

xraffle

Mike

Are you are getting that mixed up with it's evil twin short "Pardon My Backfire"?

That's actually "Pardon My Clutch."

Anyways, I'm almost done watching Disc 1 and I have to say, this is very depressing seeing all these reused footage. And I just realized that there are only 2 original Shemp shorts here: "Blunder Boys" and "Gypped In The Penthouse." Like metaldams said, it's a total shame.

Offline Mike Lipincranz

I don't think so.........But I will watch that one too.....I am almost positive that these scenes were deleted.... :-\

xraffle

I don't think so.........But I will watch that one too.....I am almost positive that these scenes were deleted.... :-\

No, they are not. I'm 100% positive. Wham-Bam-Slam is completely uncut. I just watched it an hour ago. It's fine. Those scenes are supposed to be edited out because they're just reused footage. The whole scenes are shown in "Pardon My Clutch." Did you not buy Vol. 5?

Offline Mike Lipincranz

By golly you're right you imbecile.......I screwed this one up royally......must be something wrong with my DVD player though-it keeps stopping and starting toward the last 3/4 of that short.........Anyway thanks for straightening me out raffle man.... [pie]

Offline jjknap

By golly you're right you imbecile.......I screwed this one up royally......must be something wrong with my DVD player though-it keeps stopping and starting toward the last 3/4 of that short.........Anyway thanks for straightening me out raffle man.... [pie]

I had that same problem with disc 2 (stopping and starting in certain shorts).  I assumed I had dirtied the disk...

Offline Stooges#1

I just checked my package status and its arrived in my city. But being a saturday and having no way to get to the airport to pick it up I have to wait 'til monday for it.  [pie]

Offline Benno1979

I finally opened the set (got it Monday at the local Wal Mart) and watched Husbands Beware this afternoon and noticed that the mouths are not synched up with the talking.  Does anyone else have this issue?  (I have not watched any other shorts so I cannot comment on the others, but curious if it is just mine or all are like that.)  Also right in the beginning of the short in the new footage when Moe and Larry get married, when the new brides punch them the sound effects happen before the hit, and then the gals make contact with their faces. 

xraffle

must be something wrong with my DVD player though-it keeps stopping and starting toward the last 3/4 of that short.........Anyway thanks for straightening me out raffle man.... [pie]

I had that same problem with disc 2 (stopping and starting in certain shorts).  I assumed I had dirtied the disk...

Oh no! What's this? I just finished watching Disc 1 and just watched the first short on Disc 2 (For Crimin' Out Loud). No problems so far. It's playing fine on my 10 year old Sony player.

xraffle

I finally opened the set (got it Monday at the local Wal Mart) and watched Husbands Beware this afternoon and noticed that the mouths are not synched up with the talking.  Does anyone else have this issue?  

Yeah I noticed that too.

Offline Benno1979

Yeah I noticed that too.

Whew, as much as I hate to say "Good, I'm not the only one" I am happy to know that I don't need to take anything back and exchange for another copy.  Though that stinks that this happens on the last release of the series. 

Offline Paul Allen

Benno1979,  Please let us know if you notice this on any of the other shorts in Volume 8.

Could it possibly be the fault of your player?

If this turns out to be a common problem with everyone's disc or set, then there is a legitimate problem that Sony should address and correct by making corrected replacement discs!
A huge part of the Stooges appeal has always been the sound effects mixed in with the physical comedy. In comedy, especially concerning The Three Stooges, timing is everything (in more ways than one)!  [pie]

Offline FineBari3

That's actually "Pardon My Clutch."

DUH!

Oh, my....pardon my faux paus!!!   [doh]
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Benno1979

Benno1979,  Please let us know if you notice this on any of the other shorts in Volume 8.

Could it possibly be the fault of your player?

If this turns out to be a common problem with everyone's disc or set, then there is a legitimate problem that Sony should address and correct by making corrected replacement discs!
A huge part of the Stooges appeal has always been the sound effects mixed in with the physical comedy. In comedy, especially concerning The Three Stooges, timing is everything (in more ways than one)!  [pie]

Will do, Paul ... I'm going to run some errands this morning and then take a break and watch a few and see if it's just the one short or others.  I'll report back once I have a better idea.  I just started the set with Husbands because I've always enjoyed that one, plus being a remake of one of my favorites adds specialness to it for me! 

Offline Lefty

On Tuesday I received an email from amazon.com timed at about 4:30 stating that my order had been shipped.  On Thursday, Volume 8 arrived, the earliest any of my Stooges' DVDs had ever made it to my humble abode.  So to celebrate I watched the last 2 episodes of Volume 3 (can't totally not watch the Stooges while waiting for each volume).  With our beloved Flyers in the Stanley Cup Finals (possibly until next Friday), and the bowling season not yet concluded (it will next Friday), which makes it hard to believe we're actually in the month of June now, I may try to watch some of Volume 8 tonight (from the beginning).  That is, unless last night's Flyers' victory is rebroadcast tonight.

Offline moglia

I finally opened the set (got it Monday at the local Wal Mart) and watched Husbands Beware this afternoon and noticed that the mouths are not synched up with the talking.   Also right in the beginning of the short in the new footage when Moe and Larry get married, when the new brides punch them the sound effects happen before the hit, and then the gals make contact with their faces. 

Yeah I noticed that too.

Mine is same - they all will be. This type of issue will not be isolated as it's not in the pressing but in what was pressed.

Sony will not issue a replacement. They have no reason since all they seem to get is Thank You's from most folk for taking our money in the first place. I never thank anyone for taking my money mindboggling that many do. Sony should only thank us not vise-versa.

I rate the overall effort on the 8 volumes as a B. Tough to give anymore than a middle of the road grade  given all the annoying problems. Most of which could have been corrected with modicum of quality control. Please people don't confuse the fact they issued all 190 shorts with the actual result the 2 have no bearing on each other. Also remember Sony in no way did this as charity or a favor to anyone, they did it to make money plain and simple! Even the sales of the last 3 volume were more than decent.  There was zero altruism involved.

Offline Bud_Jamison

My copy of Volume 8 and specifically "Husbands Beware" does not show any of these problems on my Panasonic BD-55 player.  I think what has happened here is that Sony has pushed up the bit-rate on the video stream to give us maximum quality.  Some older, perhaps cheaper dvd players can not process the HQ video and audio streams.  I author and produce dvd's for a living and have to be careful not to max the picture quality when encoding for users that play the discs back in old PC's and cheap $60 set top machines.  Volume 8 of the Stooges is a good benchmark for wether or not a particular DVD player is up to snuff.  Hope this helps, I am not intending any insult over anyone's choice of equipment.

Offline Stooge-Adam

Only Best Buy and Wal-Mart had all the previous volumes as they were released. However, all the stores I go to have Volume 8 in stock. I went to Best Buy thinking they may not have it because it's Besser, but I was completely wrong.

ThumpTheShoes

I think what has happened here is that Sony has pushed up the bit-rate on the video stream to give us maximum quality.

Good spin, but software analysis of the video stream shows the variable bitrate for this short averages out to about 6Kbps, with an AC3 stream running at 192 Kbps.

The soundtrack is out of sync with the video. Not by much. Using Mpeg Video Wizard software to sync the sound on a test clip, the audio track originally ran 8 "frames" ahead of the video. This equates to a scant few milliseconds, but enough to be noticeable.

Offline moglia

My copy of Volume 8 and specifically "Husbands Beware" does not show any of these problems on my Panasonic BD-55 player.  I think what has happened here is that Sony has pushed up the bit-rate on the video stream to give us maximum quality.  Some older, perhaps cheaper dvd players can not process the HQ video and audio streams.  I author and produce dvd's for a living and have to be careful not to max the picture quality when encoding for users that play the discs back in old PC's and cheap $60 set top machines.  Volume 8 of the Stooges is a good benchmark for wether or not a particular DVD player is up to snuff.  Hope this helps, I am not intending any insult over anyone's choice of equipment.

My OPPO  Blu-Ray/DVD player has the issue. Have not tried on a PC DVD drive as I don't watch stuff that way.
You probably did not notice as the sync is only about a half second off - if you just watch for a minute might not see/hear it.  Watch for a few minutes and it becomes annoying and you don't even have to look closely as it becomes unnatural very quickly. All the discs would have the issue as it's a mastering not a pressing issue. I'm sure I could compensate using the delay option on my receiver but then I'd have to adjust back after the short ends. Worth the effort for a long move but not so much for an under 20 minute short.

Nice Lack of Quality Control Sony! How about a refund? Please folks don't tell me how lucky I am to have the DVD's to begin with. Sony takes our money for the product, we have the right to expect something simple like the audio matching the video. Anything less is unprofessional even if unintended on their part.

What's interesting is that in another topic on this forum I was chastised for having a "rich man's" Oppo which I paid $450, and saved for 6 months to get.  So I figured this was a paupers forum - but now you say $60 is cheapo. So what is the appropriate arbitrary price on this forum for a DVD capable transport that is not cheapo and is not a rich man's toy?

Offline Benno1979

The other shorts look fine on my Pioneer system, it's just Husbands Beware.  If I notice anything else I will report back, but it's just the one short that I notice anything wrong with.

Offline Curly4444

Ive seen this issue before. I borrowed the complete Farscape TV series from a friend, and it had the same issue(It was barley off, thought i was loosing it). It was only one episode(1 out of 88), which ain't that big of a deal. So this stuff happens.

xraffle

I rate the overall effort on the 8 volumes as a B. Tough to give anymore than a middle of the road grade  given all the annoying problems. Most of which could have been corrected with modicum of quality control. Please people don't confuse the fact they issued all 190 shorts with the actual result the 2 have no bearing on each other. Also remember Sony in no way did this as charity or a favor to anyone, they did it to make money plain and simple! Even the sales of the last 3 volume were more than decent.  There was zero altruism involved.

Agreed. As a person who works his butt off converting my VHS videos to DVD, I can safely say that with good quality control, lip sync issues can be spotted and corrected. Because I've done it A LOT. Sometimes when I edit videos together, they become out of sync and I have to reposition the audio track so it becomes in sync. If I can do it with my crappy editing software, Sony could've done the same.

And yes, Sony did not release these out of charity. They did it to screw those people selling the bootleg sets. They know they were making big bucks by selling them and they couldn't stop them. So, they released these sets so those bootleg sets become worthless and people won't be able to sell them anymore.

Offline moglia

Agreed. As a person who works his butt off converting my VHS videos to DVD, I can safely say that with good quality control, lip sync issues can be spotted and corrected. Because I've done it A LOT. Sometimes when I edit videos together, they become out of sync and I have to reposition the audio track so it becomes in sync. If I can do it with my crappy editing software, Sony could've done the same.

And yes, Sony did not release these out of charity. They did it to screw those people selling the bootleg sets. They know they were making big bucks by selling them and they couldn't stop them. So, they released these sets so those bootleg sets become worthless and people won't be able to sell them anymore.

Agreed as well. Regardless of how major or minor some believe the issue is the fact remains it wreaks of  laziness and unprofessional-ism on the part of:

1) whoever the hack was who mastered Husband's Beware
 2) Sony Quality's Control or lack thereof
 3) Ultimately Sony Corp in general since they have taken money for flawed product and will not offer a replacement or remuneration

OT - What software do you use for syncing?