Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Three Stooges Collection Vol. 8, June 1

BeAStooge · 548 · 116325

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Collection Vol 8 DVD: June 01, 2010 - June 07, 2010

Offline Lefty

On Thursday, I ordered Volume 8 from Amazon, and to make sure the shipping would be free, I also ordered the complete set of "Are You Being Served" episodes on DVD.  "Mr. Howard, are you freeeeeeeeeeeee?"  Amazon will be shipping AYBS and the non-DVD item we ordered this Tuesday, while the Stooges are listed as being shipped on June 7th, but we usually get their DVDs around the Friday following the release date.  "I can hardly wait!"   [3stooges]

Offline Paul Allen

Just 2 more weeks, boys and girls! Just 2 more weeks!!

Think about all the great things we have to look forward to in Volume 8 -
 1. More widescreen versions!
 2. Pristine picture and sound quality!
 3. Moe with 2 different hair styles!
 4. Larry with 2 different hair styles!
 5. Larry name-dropping Elvis Presley!
 6. More of Shemp!
 7. More of Emil Sitka!
 8. Fake Shemp!
 9. Joey Besser!
10. Hello, Helloo, Hellooo.... Hello!
11. More remakes which are always fun to compare to the originals!
12. Three discs for the price of two!

Did I leave anything out?  Oh, yeah! The bags under Moe's eyes!!  [pie]

Offline dimelives

I don't know if it's because this is the completing set, or if it's because it's filled with shorts that I'm largely unfamiliar with, or WHAT, but I am so anxious for this set to release... Even though I'm not a huge fan of Besser's, I'm really looking forward to this set! :) These next two weeks are gonna feel like foreeeeeverrrrr [pie]

Offline Stooges#1

I don't know if it's because this is the completing set, or if it's because it's filled with shorts that I'm largely unfamiliar with, or WHAT, but I am so anxious for this set to release... Even though I'm not a huge fan of Besser's, I'm really looking forward to this set! :) These next two weeks are gonna feel like foreeeeeverrrrr [pie]

Absolutely right.  ;D

This is the set I have looked forward to out of them all because of the sheer amount of never released films. Joe Besser might not be the funniest comedian, but its still the Stooges so it will hold a special place in my dvd collection.

Offline Paul Allen

dimelives, Who knows.... you might become a "Joey fan" after you view this new set in its entirety! 

50,000,000 Joey Fans Can't Be Wrong!!

While we're all waiting for Volume 8 to be released, check out this fantastic website!
Click - http://www.freewebs.com/theshortsdepartment/index.htm/  I recently purchased the Stooge "solo" shorts from this gentleman and I'm glad I did!

Offline mankey8284

I can't wait for this DVD either! Ever since I heard they were releasing it, I have been anxious to buy it. I'm not a huge Besser fan but I LOVE Larry, and the fact that Sitka is in alot of the last few shorts makes it even better. "I can hardly wait!"
"I'm trying to think and nothing happens!" ~Curly
"I lost my ba-lance." ~Larry
"I'll knock your head right through your socks" ~Moe
"There I am pretty as a picture. Yeah, of an ape" ~Shemp and Moe
"Is that the sun up there? I don't know I'm new in town" ~Larry and Curly
"You'll never know just what tears are, till you've cried, like you've made me cry"
"What stupid, imbecilic fool put that u--I did! Oh, am I dumb" ~Larry
"What a day." ~Curly
"Who is it?" ~Larry
"Do you know what that paper was? Hot?" ~Moe & Curly

Offline Larry Larry

Thrilled that Sony is following through on this set.  Thanks Sony.   I've said all along this set will sell very well.  Stooge fans are buying all the sets - this one, in particular, is full of rare episodes the diehards like us are longing for!!

Thanks Sony.  Bring on Volume 9 - the feature film collection!   
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline falsealarms

I can't to see BLUNDER BOYS in widescreen. That short was on AMC last weekend and it's a terrific Shemp entry. Always has been one of my favorite Shemp efforts.

Offline archiezappa

Just 2 more weeks, boys and girls! Just 2 more weeks!!

Think about all the great things we have to look forward to in Volume 8 -
 1. More widescreen versions!
 2. Pristine picture and sound quality!
 3. Moe with 2 different hair styles!
 4. Larry with 2 different hair styles!
 5. Larry name-dropping Elvis Presley!
 6. More of Shemp!
 7. More of Emil Sitka!
 8. Fake Shemp!
 9. Joey Besser!
10. Hello, Helloo, Hellooo.... Hello!
11. More remakes which are always fun to compare to the originals!
12. Three discs for the price of two!

Did I leave anything out?  Oh, yeah! The bags under Moe's eyes!!  [pie]

13.  The Heat Is On!
14.  I'm Holiday!
15.  I'm Terraday!
16.  I'm St. Patrick's Day!
17.  The following routine:

Moe:  Where you was born?

Tiny:  In bed.

Moe:  No, I mean what state?

Tiny:  Kansas.

Moe:  And what part?

Tiny:  All of me.

Moe:  Good thing it's a big state!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

This month is going by too slowly. June 1st needs to get here already before I start bouncing off the walls with delirium.

[banghead]   

[cussing]
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Paul Allen

Shemp_Diesel,  I feel your pain, brother, but don't rush time. Heck, between now and June 1 you might find a leather bag along the highway with $1,989,897 in it!!  Even though Volume 8 is more important than that, the money could still come in handy. I'm jus' sayin'.

There's no doubt that Fake Shemp and Joe Besser are iconic gods of comedy, but please try to hang in there! Be patient, my friend.

xraffle

If anyone gets their hands on an early copy, please let us know how the packaging is (i.e. two or three slim cases?).

Offline Larry Larry

If anyone gets their hands on an early copy, please let us know how the packaging is (i.e. two or three slim cases?).

It's 3.

Confirmed in an excellent review over at HTF:  http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/300840/htf-dvd-review-the-three-stooges-collection-volume-eight-1955-1959

Really nice comments about the final years including these Joe Besser films.  Can't wait to see this next week.  : )

Offline falsealarms

Thanks for the heads up about that review.

BTW -- Has anyone here watched these DVDs on a Blu Ray player? I have made the switch to Blu and wonder if these look any better when upconverted.

xraffle

It's 3.

Confirmed in an excellent review over at HTF:  http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/300840/htf-dvd-review-the-three-stooges-collection-volume-eight-1955-1959

Really nice comments about the final years including these Joe Besser films.  Can't wait to see this next week.  : )

Thanks. Looks like we’re going to get a thick box this time.

BTW -- Has anyone here watched these DVDs on a Blu Ray player? I have made the switch to Blu and wonder if these look any better when upconverted.

I have. A Blu-ray player just upconverts the image, so if you’ve tried playing these on an upconverting DVD player before, it will look like that. There’s only so much detail these upconverters can add mathematically. In my opinion, I like watching these on a regular SD tube TV. The main reason is because LCDs don’t have as good of a contrast as CRTs and so the whites in the B&W image tend to look overbright sometimes. CRTs don’t have that kind of issue. This may not be the case with Plasmas, though. But as far as sharpness is concerned, it does look better on an LCD HDTV.

In my opinion, these shorts can only looks so good. Many people will disagree with me on this, but classic movies will not have as big of a difference on Blu-ray as current movies. I’ve upgraded my Wizard of Oz DVD to Blu-ray and while there IS a difference, it wasn’t that big. But when I upgraded my Spider-Man DVDs, the difference was night and day. Spider-Man 2 & 3 has a huge difference, while Spider-Man 1 was only slight.

Offline falsealarms

My standard DVD player is 7 years old and not one that upconverts, so I've never had that experience.

I have a strange HDTV -- it's a bulky CRT. I bought it in 2004, before the big HD movement. CRT based HDTVs didn't stay around long.

Offline Larry Larry

Yes.  Standard Def DVDs will look a bit better when played on a Blu-ray player.  They still are not HD, but do look better than most standard definition DVD players make them look.

Offline dimelives

Looks like we’re going to get a thick box this time.

Lame! >< All volumes but one all the same size... My OCD for DVD conformity isn't gonna be happy =P Ah well, whatcha gonna do?

Offline Paul Allen

dimelives,  C'mon now. Not "lame".

I bet that once you finally get your hands on this "3 for-the-price-of 2" set, you'll be satisfied and you'll love it!

Offline dimelives

I'm happy it's 3 DISCS, just wish they had used one double-disc slim case, so we'd have two slim cases like normal, to match the other sets. Just me being picky =P

Offline Paul Allen

dimelives,  I was also being a little picky about something (how the shorts should be divided on the 3 discs). I was hoping for this:

DISC 1 - 12 shorts (the final 12 "real" Shemp shorts all together on one disc)
DISC 2 - 10 shorts (4 "Fake" Shemp shorts and 6 Joe Besser shorts)
DISC 3 - 10 shorts (10 Joe Besser)

....but Sony went with: 11-11-10.  [pie]

I can live with that!  :laugh:

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Stooges In Hand,

Went to the store today and they had  copies of volume 8 for sale.   I grabbed it and have it now.  More details after watching a few episodes.   It is 3 cases  Disc one starts with Fling in the Ring and ends with Flagpole Jitters, Disc Two Starts with For Crimin' out Loud and ends with Horsing Around.  Disc Three starts with Rusty Romeos and you know what it ends with.  Disc One has a picture of Moe, Larry And Shemp From "Wham-Bam-
Slam"  Disc Two has Moe Larry And Joe from "Guns A Poppin" and Disc Three has "Flying Saucer Daffy" or Outer Space Jitters" can't remember which one has them camping and the picture with the paper plate spaceship.

More after I absorb the volume further.

Offline mankey8284

One more week I can't wait!  ;D
"I'm trying to think and nothing happens!" ~Curly
"I lost my ba-lance." ~Larry
"I'll knock your head right through your socks" ~Moe
"There I am pretty as a picture. Yeah, of an ape" ~Shemp and Moe
"Is that the sun up there? I don't know I'm new in town" ~Larry and Curly
"You'll never know just what tears are, till you've cried, like you've made me cry"
"What stupid, imbecilic fool put that u--I did! Oh, am I dumb" ~Larry
"What a day." ~Curly
"Who is it?" ~Larry
"Do you know what that paper was? Hot?" ~Moe & Curly