Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Three Stooges Collection Vol. 8, June 1

BeAStooge · 548 · 116123

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Collection Vol 8 DVD: June 01, 2010 - June 07, 2010

Offline ProfessorStooge

Bought Volume 8 today. Now the Three Stooges' greatest body of work is on DVD and all the fans are happy. I'll be starting my Stooge marathon tonight.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Offline Paul Allen

HELLOLARRY,  What are preview tags?  What exactly are you refering to?

Thanks,  Paul Allen

Offline HELLOLARRY

In Flying Saucer Daffy and Triple Crossed, before the credits play there is a little 30 second clip from the short.  It is unique only to these two films.  Not sure why they were put there in the first place, doesn't really make sense and they don't seem to be there to pad the time out for any reason.

Offline Rich Finegan

In Flying Saucer Daffy and Triple Crossed, before the credits play there is a little 30 second clip from the short.  It is unique only to these two films.  Not sure why they were put there in the first place, doesn't really make sense and they don't seem to be there to pad the time out for any reason.
I remember seeing those preview clips on TV prints years ago. I had always thought they were added just to pad out the running time of some of the shorter shorts, although according to the running times given in the filmography on this site, those two shorts are not really significantly shorter than most of the others.

The same practice was done with some of the shorter "Blondie" features when King Features prepared the TV package of Blondie movies in 1966. Preview clips were added to some to make them all a uniform 75 minutes.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Yes.

My earlier reply is incorrect. According to Bob Furmanek...

Actually, those previews were on the original 35mm prints sent to theaters. I've had several (including Triple Crossed) and it has the preview at the beginning.

The shorts were usually shown between features (most theaters booking the Stooge shorts had a double-feature policy) and this was a way to give the audience a reason to stay in their seats and watch the short. I'm not sure if it worked, but it was an interesting idea!

Offline HELLOLARRY

If so, maybe they used the previews for the wrong ones.  I'd probably sit through those two Bessers before some of the others.

The one thing I noticed about the Bessers is that there is a feeling that it is Moe and Larry with another guy and not really a team in the true sense of the word as they were with Shemp or Curly.  The first one filmed was Muscle Up a Little Closer right?  Well when they first get to their girls house, the girls point out how they like the guys new hair styles. It's like it is a new season of a television show (if anyone is familiar with MASH, the first episode they filmed for the 7th season had BJ with the mustache.  In several scenes other characters had to point out that he had the mustache as if we didn't know).  In addition, Moe refers to Joe as 'this guy' a few times.  The by-play between Moe and Joe in that short when Moe is yelling at him to wrap the package up is funny but doesn't have a 'team' feel to if I'm making any sense here. I think it would've played differently if it were Moe or Curly.  It's almost as if Moe and Larry are still the 'two' Stooges and this new guy just showed up and they can't really figure him out yet.  It's kind of a reverse of the Curly years where Moe and Larry are the stronger players (for what it is worth) in these shorts and Joe is there to remind you that they are still a trio. He is a stronger personality and just happens to be in the same film with the other two.

Also...does anyone wonder what the next seasons slate of Shemps would've looked like had he not died?  I mean by the end of his tenure, they had reworked every short from 1947-1949 with the exception of Mummies Dummies.  Would they have started to remake or rework the ones in 1950 had they continued with Shemp? Would they have had just as many original stories as they did with Joe if Shemp had continued with them?  Just speculating...

Offline Larry Larry

Also...does anyone wonder what the next seasons slate of Shemps would've looked like had he not died?  I mean by the end of his tenure, they had reworked every short from 1947-1949 with the exception of Mummies Dummies.  Would they have started to remake or rework the ones in 1950 had they continued with Shemp? Would they have had just as many original stories as they did with Joe if Shemp had continued with them?  Just speculating...

Don't really have an answer for you, but your question reminded me of a hilarious thread on this forum. 

Speculation on the "worst" shorts that were never made.  "Fan fiction" & parodies about what remakes could have been made.  Check it out for some good fun & laughs:

http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=1764.0    :laugh:

These pretzels are making me thirsty!

xraffle

I tracked my package and it's already at my post office. So, it should get delivered today or tomorrow the latest if my mailman is lazy. Though, I kind of hope it doesn't come today because I won't have time to watch it since I'll be out tonight. Friday will be the best time to get it since I'll have the whole weekend to watch it.

Offline Curly4444

Mines in-transit also. I'll probably get it tomorrow? So a weekend marathon is possible.  :D

Offline Paul Allen

JLNeibaur,  Thanks for the nice review on the Rogue Cinema site!

Next?.... you asked.

1. "Have Rocket, Will Travel" on DVD of course.
2. Sony could do a career-spanning documentary DVD of The Three Stooges. They could include the footage from their 1930's and 40's Columbia full-length films!
3. A 3-DVD set of all the Columbia solo shorts of Shemp Howard, Joe Besser, and Joe DeRita.

Paul Allen

Offline Bud_Jamison

I have been having a Besser fest all week, these film kill me!  My wife thinks there is something wrong with me... ;D ;D
My daughter, in disbelief at the opening credits said "WHO IS JOE!"  Thanks Sony, for doing these 8 volumes right!  These shorts viewed in perspective are such a treat.  Don't compare, just enjoy them.

Offline Rich Finegan

JLNeibaur,  Thanks for the nice review on the Rogue Cinema site!

Next?.... you asked.

1. "Have Rocket, Will Travel" on DVD of course.
2. Sony could do a career-spanning documentary DVD of The Three Stooges. They could include the footage from their 1930's and 40's Columbia full-length films!
3. A 3-DVD set of all the Columbia solo shorts of Shemp Howard, Joe Besser, and Joe DeRita.

Paul Allen
And the Columbia Charley Chase shorts! We're STILL waiting...
Please, SONY!

xraffle

Mines in-transit also. I'll probably get it tomorrow? So a weekend marathon is possible.  :D

I beat you! I got mine yesterday. See? No need to upgrade the shipping. Only 2 days after release date. ;D

But like I said, I was out last night, so I only watched "Fling In The Ring" before I went to bed. I'll watch the remaining 31 shorts over the weekend. Everytime I hold this set in my hand, I can't help but be amazed. I just still can't bellieve the Besser shorts made it to DVD. I still think I'm dreaming!

Offline Curly4444

Yeah, I got the free shipping also. Its stupid to to upgrade the shipping. The quality of the packaging of the item is the same, just takes a day or two longer.

Offline metaldams

Observation so far (and I've watch the first 2 DVD's)

It's really a shame the boys could not make more original shorts with Shemp.  When watching a quality short like BLUNDER BOYS or the first 5 minutes of HUSBANDS BEWARE, it's obvious budget set backs gypped us of possible quality new material with Shemp.  I gotta say as a whole, the remakes of the '55 - '56 variety are better than the '53 - '54, and if someone watches these not knowing any better about the stock footage, these are completely enjoyable shorts.  But for those of us who do know better and think what could've been....a total shame.  I guess we should be thankful for all we do have, but also realizing we could've had more.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larry Larry

Observation so far (and I've watch the first 2 DVD's)

It's really a shame the boys could not make more original shorts with Shemp.  When watching a quality short like BLUNDER BOYS or the first 5 minutes of HUSBANDS BEWARE, it's obvious budget set backs gypped us of possible quality new material with Shemp.  I gotta say as a whole, the remakes of the '55 - '56 variety are better than the '53 - '54, and if someone watches these not knowing any better about the stock footage, these are completely enjoyable shorts.  But for those of us who do know better and think what could've been....a total shame.  I guess we should be thankful for all we do have, but also realizing we could've had more.

Great point.

Haven't watched Volume 8 yet.  I'm watching in order and am at the tail end of Volume 6. 

Many on Volume 6 were new to me & they are excellent films.  I think the Shemp films are as good as the Curly films.  There just aren't as many of them.

Looking forward to getting to Volume 8 though.  I'm dying to see these remakes & especially the Joe films.   I actually kinda like Joe Besser. 

Thanks SONY!!!   
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline Myren

I can now say I have seen every Three Stooge short! ;D
And in order!

Offline Justin T

I've been so pre-occupied this week that I haven't bought Volume 8 yet!

I'll have to grab a copy this weekend. It's been so long since I watched the
Besser era shorts I'm actually looking foward to watching them at least once
.....even the ones I know are bad.  [pie]
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline dimelives

Yeah, I got the free shipping also. Its stupid to to upgrade the shipping. The quality of the packaging of the item is the same, just takes a day or two longer.

Not stupid for someone like me who lives in a west coast suburb. The difference between the super saver shipping and upgraded standard means the difference between getting it 10 days or 1 day after release date.

Offline Curly4444

Ok, I see.

Where i live is close to one of amazons distribution centers. So i get it pretty quick.

Offline Stooge-Adam

I, too amy watching them in order from the beginning. However, I'm only at the end of Volume Three. So I still have a ways to go before getting to Volume 8. At least I own it and know that when I'm ready for it, it'll be there waiting for me.

I have a question. How can I start a thread around here? I don't see anything that says "Start a Thread" or whatever it should say. I'd start a thread about this, but I can't. ;)

Offline Stooges#1

I have a question. How can I start a thread around here? I don't see anything that says "Start a Thread" or whatever it should say. I'd start a thread about this, but I can't. ;)

If I am not mistaken I think you need to have 10 posts before starting a thread. I could be wrong though.

Offline Curly4444

If I am not mistaken I think you need to have 10 posts before starting a thread. I could be wrong though.

Your correct. I couldn't post until i hit 10 posts.