The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Three Stooges Collection Vol. 8, June 1

BeAStooge · 548 · 114783

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Collection Vol 8 DVD: June 01, 2010 - June 07, 2010

Offline Seamus

I thought over-analyzing things was the whole point of a message board!  :P

Offline metaldams

Food for thought about all of the Columbia shorts:  Some of them are so bad that they're GREAT!  That might be the best way to think of (and enjoy) the later Stooges work.

I

Exactly how I view SWEET AND HOT.  So terrible it's enjoyable.  The only stooge short I throw in Ed Wood territory, though not even Mr. Wood made a montage as awesomely awful as that barnyard sequence in the beginning.

I'm still going through the set.  Besser has his occasional good moments (I quite enjoyed RUSTY ROMEOS), but overall they are the weakest shorts.  Throw in the Shemp remakes, and yeah, we're entering diehard only territory.  Like I said in a previous post, I do find the '55 - '56 remakes better thought out than the '53 - '54 ones.  The baby stuff and guillotine in CREEPS are great as is the devil dance in BEDLAM IN PARADISE.  It's also a damn shame HUSBANDS BEWARE couldn't be an all original because those first 5 or 6 minutes are great.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline moglia

Plainly and simply put, anybody who would buy/collect the first seven volumes, but then not want Volume 8 is a real moron and a much bigger stooge than Moe, Larry, Curly, Shemp, and Joe ever thought about being!!!!!!!!

Not my opinion.... just fact.

Good day  -  Paul Allen

Most harsh even with your later retraction.

If I wasn't a completest I would have skipped it.  My guess is at least 3/4 of those who purchased the previous 7 will buy it. I guarantee you Sony had that factored in their sales projections.

Offline Lefty

I had every intention of buying all 8 volumes, which I did of course, not because I'm a fan of Joe Besser, but because I wanted to be able to view all 190 episodes complete, uncut, and commercial-free.  I have already watched the first three episodes of the last volume.  The Flyers lasted a month longer than expected, and Match Game is on twice a day, and I also have all 6 DVDs of Hogan's Heroes, all 4 DVDs of McHale's Navy, and the complete "Are You Being Served" thing, so I vary my viewing among my favorites.  Also, today is the 6th anniversary of the last time I saw "Horsing Around," which was shown on our local CW channel because the Phillies were in a rain delay at Comiskey Park (the game never got started that night), and I just happened to turn the channel back on at the right time.  I don't even remember if the short was uncut.

Offline Paul Allen

moglia, Please forgive me. I was having a harsh day (sort of like Moe had most of the time).

I was finally able to watch Husbands Beware last night and I must say that the soundtrack being off-set from the video was irritating. My 14 yr. old niece didn't notice it at first, but when I brought it to her attention she said, "Oh yeah! The sound is ahead of the picture! That's not good!".
I basically introduced the Stooges to her over a year ago with these new "Collection" volumes (Curly is her favorite, but she also likes Shemp and of course Larry).
She had never heard of Joe Besser before last night. After watching 2 or 3 of his episodes with me, I asked her what she thought of Joe. She smiled and told me that she thought he was funny because of his exciteable expressions and mannerisms. She even laughed when the "Hello, Helloo, Hellooo.... Hello!" introduction started.

There was something I realized for the first time last night about the stock footage used for the Shemp remakes.
I noticed that Columbia had added additional sound effects to some of the reused stock footage!
HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED OR DISCUSSED THIS BEFORE?

In some instances the effects sounded louder than normal and/or exaggerated instead of the sound effects volume being more subtle.

Thanks,  Paul Allen

Offline Curly4444

I was finally able to watch Husbands Beware last night and I must say that the soundtrack being off-set from the video was irritating. My 14 yr. old niece didn't notice it at first, but when I brought it to her attention she said, "Oh yeah! The sound is ahead of the picture! That's not good!".

I didn't notice it that bad. I don't know if i actually saw it for sure. Maybe my dvd player handles the disc better. Maybe some DVD players magnify the problem? If it weren't for this thread, i would have been none for the wiser.

xraffle

I didn't notice it that bad. I don't know if i actually saw it for sure. Maybe my dvd player handles the disc better. Maybe some DVD players magnify the problem? If it weren't for this thread, i would have been none for the wiser.

I saw it, but didn't really think much of it until people started making a big thing about it here.

Offline Curly4444

I saw it, but didn't really think much of it until people started making a big thing about it here.

It didnt really affect the viewing of the episode to me. You sure you guys weren't drinking??  ;D

Offline Paul Allen

Curly4444, The only thing I drink this time of year is water and/or FUZE drinks. So yes, I was drinking. :laugh:

Concerning the stock footage used for the Shemp remakes:
I noticed that Columbia had added additional sound effects to the reused stock footage in some of the shorts!

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks, Paul Allen

Offline JazzBill

On Tuesday I received an email from amazon.com timed at about 4:30 stating that my order had been shipped.  On Thursday, Volume 8 arrived, the earliest any of my Stooges' DVDs had ever made it to my humble abode.  So to celebrate I watched the last 2 episodes of Volume 3 (can't totally not watch the Stooges while waiting for each volume).  With our beloved Flyers in the Stanley Cup Finals (possibly until next Friday), and the bowling season not yet concluded (it will next Friday), which makes it hard to believe we're actually in the month of June now, I may try to watch some of Volume 8 tonight (from the beginning).  That is, unless last night's Flyers' victory is rebroadcast tonight.

Greetings from Chicago Lefty. Now that your beloved Flyers have received the fate they so rightfully deserved, you should have plenty of time to catch up on Volume 8.  ;D

[youtube=425,350]nB_5hNPG0no[/youtube]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Curly4444

Greetings from Chicago Lefty. Now that your beloved Flyers have received the fate they so rightfully deserved, you should have plenty of time to catch up on Volume 8.

Offline Lefty

Greetings from Chicago Lefty. Now that your beloved Flyers have received the fate they so rightfully deserved, you should have plenty of time to catch up on Volume 8.  ;D

[youtube=425,350]nB_5hNPG0no[/youtube]

Before that, can I borrow 20 cents, Kaner?

Offline 12Medbe

I love the DVD, even though there are a couple weak shorts, especially a bunch of Besser Shorts. One of my favorite Shemp shorts on there would have to be Scheming Schemers or Blunder Boys, Flagpole Jitters is fairly decent too. Now the Joe Besser Shorts, It wasn't easy to pick, Sweet & Hot just bombed, Let's see I would have to say Quiz Whizz and A Merry Mix Up were great Besser shorts.

Offline joshferrell

Curly4444, The only thing I drink this time of year is water and/or FUZE drinks. So yes, I was drinking. :laugh:

Concerning the stock footage used for the Shemp remakes:
I noticed that Columbia had added additional sound effects to the reused stock footage in some of the shorts!

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks, Paul Allen

I noticed that as well...I also noticed that they used less sound effects on the Besser shorts than normal...

Offline Stooge-Adam

I have yet to watch Volume 8. I started with Volume 1 and am watching them in order. Stupid me had to start the day before Volume 8 came out, so it's been hard. Because I REALLY want to watch the Besser shorts.

My Favorite Besser short that I remember watching years and years ago is "Rusty Romeos."

For the record, I'll start Volume 8 tonight, but I won't get to the Bessers until, I'd say tomorrow. I'm excited!

Offline Moe Hailstone

• Chucklehead
  • "I am Mattie Herring. Ah, my favorite dish!"
First, I'd like to say how awesome it is to have every short for the "Three Stooges".  I never thought that I would have them on DVD, and in such high quality.  :)

On TV, I had seen four Joe shorts...and two of them were about UFO's.  After watching all 16 of Joe's shorts in order...I actually like him more as a Stooge.  I DO hate Columbia more though, since they REALLY went cheap with the shorts involving Joe.  Reusing older stories, and even using other footage that easily could have been shot on site...but Columbia saves money by using older stuff, and the short suffers.

It's funny how I liked the UFO shorts early on, since they have NO reused footage in them...making their shorts the most original.  I was finally able to watch "Sweet and Hot", and boy did it stink!  I'll never watch it again, since once is enough.

So, in conclusion...I have more respect for Joe Besser as a Stooge.  He did give it his all, which is WAY more than what Columbia gave to any Stooge fan back in the day.  I was able to laugh quite a bit at Joe's lines.  I love it when he calls someone a snitch.  lol  I also loved it when he broke the fourth wall.  :D  Also, he took a LOT of abuse for just 16 shorts...so the claims that he didn't want to get hit are pure B.S. in my book.

I think that I'll have a marathon soon and watch them from beginning to end.  Something that I only dreamed of, but will soon become a reality.

P.S.  As for the sound not matching up in "Husbands Beware"...I can barely notice it, and I have to really look at the mouths, which no one really does on their own.  I have a good eye for when the voices don't match up, so either my DVD player (which it's a Sony) can do it almost perfectly, or my disk isn't as defective as others.

Thank you Sony for giving us the Three Stooges in 8 wonderful volumes.   [cool]
"Moronica must expand! We shall lend our neighbors a helping hand, we shall lend them two helping hands... and help ourselves to our neighbors!"  Moe Hailstone

Offline Paul Allen

Moe Hailstone, I agree with you. Joe deserves more respect as a third Stooge.

It's my sincere belief that if Joe Besser had remained the third Stooge all the way through the 1960's, his legacy would be much, much brighter as a member of The Three Stooges. There's no doubt that he would've been funnier than Joe DeRita in the full-length movies! To me, DeRita just never really seemed completely comfortable in his role, therefore not adding much at all to the act.

As a matter of fact, it's too bad there were four "Fake Shemp" shorts made. That could've been four more shorts with Besser giving us a total of 20 shorts with him!

I haven't watched "Sweet And Hot", yet. Too bad it's a stinker.

Thanks - Paul Allen

xraffle

P.S.  As for the sound not matching up in "Husbands Beware"...I can barely notice it, and I have to really look at the mouths, which no one really does on their own.  I have a good eye for when the voices don't match up, so either my DVD player (which it's a Sony) can do it almost perfectly, or my disk isn't as defective as others.

There is no such think as a defective DVD causing a lip-sync problem. We are not in the VHS era anymore. DVDs either work or they don’t. The only time one DVD may be perfectly in sync while another isn’t is if Sony went through the trouble of creating two different batches of discs. And I highly doubt that is the case. A defective DVD will skip, freeze or not work at all.

The reason why some people say their DVD has a lip sync problems while another doesn’t could be one of two things—

1- They just don’t notice it. Some people are more sensitive to lip sync issues than others.
2- The DVD player is delaying the audio. Not all DVD players play DVDs the way they’re supposed to. Some DVD players play the audio ahead of the picture while some other players delay the audio. So, if your DVD player plays the audio slightly ahead of the picture, then watching “Husbands Beware” can be a problem as it will only exaggerate the lip sync problem. If your DVD player delays the audio, then the problem on that short will not be so bad and may be unnoticeable.

Offline Curly4444

xraffle

Offline stooge1029

One Joe episode really bugged me with the reused footage. It was Fifi Blows her top. The plot of the episode has nothing to do with Moe or Larry meeting girls yet they still do flashbacks to Love at First Bite, with an obviously younger Moe and Christine McIntire. Why not just make the episode about Joes old flame and throw in some NEW gags? I hate when they just reuse footage for the sake of reusing footage.

Offline Paul Allen

The "Husbands Beware" debate is officially here to stay for the next 50 years!!!  It'll never go away (you know, sort of like the oil in the Gulf of Mexico!) [pie]

stooge1029, It was very ridiculous to see how Columbia used/reused/abused stock footage to save a few bucks. Columbia knew that the days of their shorts were numbered.
Let's just try to view the poorly done shorts as "so bad, they're great"! ....(and let's be thankful for the truly good ones).

Paul Allen

Offline JazzBill

Oh god, not the "Husbands Beware: Debate again!! :(

If you drink enough alcohol eventually everything gets back into sync.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Paul Allen

Well, I'm 51 and I've never been drunk in my life. In order for me to correct "Husbands Beware", I suppose I'll have to end my 51 year streak! BRING ON THE BOOZE!! (not)

Heck, I think I'll go watch Beer Barrel Polecats now!