Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Three Stooges Collection Vol. 8, June 1

BeAStooge · 548 · 116340

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges Collection Vol 8 DVD: June 01, 2010 - June 07, 2010

Offline Rhinosaurus

Approximately 35.5 hours, assuming that Best Buy opens at 9-10 am central. 

let the countdown continue

;D

Offline Bum

The DVDTalk review mentions this:

However...I did notice in Commotion on the Ocean, at 2:19, a fade-out to black, and fade-up, that seemed out of character with the editing of the rest of the shorts here. It looked new. Is footage missing there? I don't know; I'll leave that to the experts out there on the Stooges.

Can anyone confirm?

Don't forget, that fade is a "new" fade added to stock footage ["Crime on their hands"]. Originally that scene continued on with more dialogue and action, but to end the scene early [before Shemp grabs his hat and start talking] for re-use it in this film, an abtupt fade had to be utilized. I'm guessing there might be other examples of "fake" fade-ins or fade-outs on the stock footage used in the remakes- I'll have to start paying more attention when I watch the films.

Offline RICO987

So you're not going to watch the last 32 shorts first and then have a marathon?  :o

Unless you've already watched them in the past? But me, since I have never watched any of those 32 shorts it would be torture if I did that.  ;D

I am tempted to watch the last 32 first.  But I want to start at the beginning, and so I will.  Although I must admit I did cheat a little – I watched Rusty Romeos, and Blunder Boys.   I always liked watching Joe “nail” Connie Cezan at the end of “RR”, and Blunder Boys is one of my favorites on this set.  Well, I had to ensure the discs were not defective in case I had to return them!

Offline Stooges#1

That's good to hear Rico, I hope you enjoy the set as I am sure you will.

Just checked Amazon.com and my set is now "Shipping Soon".  [cool]

Offline dimelives

That's good to hear Rico, I hope you enjoy the set as I am sure you will.

Just checked Amazon.com and my set is now "Shipping Soon".  [cool]

Same here :) Would've probably happened sooner if it hadn't been for the screwy Memorial weekend, but ah well, whatya gonna do? Mine is set to arrive either late this week or early next week. Here's hopin' for early as possible!

Offline jjknap

I do not know how they get it in stock before the June 1 release date, but I picked up Volume 8 today at an independent shop here in Sacramento, California. 

All 190 Columbia Shorts!  A lifelong dream is finally here!  Pinch me!  Ow!!!  Not so hard!!!!

What an experience!….  I am about to have.  The marathon starting from Woman Haters starts tomorrow!

I ordered from Best Buy a month ago, and my store had it in stock (although I can't pick it up until tomorrow).  I think stores get movies and games in a month ahead of time and just hold them until release date.  Maybe it is to insure enough stock is available to place them in an ad.

xraffle

Same here :) Would've probably happened sooner if it hadn't been for the screwy Memorial weekend, but ah well, whatya gonna do? Mine is set to arrive either late this week or early next week. Here's hopin' for early as possible!

Well, would ya look at that! Mine is "shipping soon" also. While I may not get it tomorrow, at least I know I'll be getting it before mid-June. Or will I?  [cool]

Offline Stooge-Adam

I've only seen a handful of Joe Besser shorts. So even though his period is not the best for the series, it's the one I'm looking forward to the most.

I must also say that I'm currently watching all the shorts in chronological order. I began last night and I've just finished "Disorder in the Court." I won't be able to watch Volume 8 tomorrow, but I'm enjoying this experience. I have always wanted to watch all the shorts in order. Now, thanks to DVDs and Sony, I am able to.

Offline Stooge-Adam

I should take this time to point out what getting Volume 8 means to me.

As a kid, I collected The Three Stooges shorts on VHS. I started out with "Simply Hilarious", which had the four public domain shorts (Disorder in the Court, Brideless Groom, Sing a Song of Six Pants and Malice in the Palace). I remember when that was all i had, but being a kid, I was happy with it. Then I got a couple more tapes. One of them contained: Three Little Pirates, Uncivil Warbirds and Back to the Woods. I also rented and copy-taped a tape with: Dizzy Detectives, Sock-A-Bye Baby and one other, I can't remember. Good Times began releasing Shemps (though that company always seemed to be poor quality, recording on SLP instead of SP). But again, I was a kid, so I was just happy to add onto my collection. At one time I had more Shemps than Curlys.

Eventually, Sony started a new line a Stooge tapes, around 1993-96. This is when my collection really got cooking. With all these tapes I had, I still didn't have a single Joe Besser on tape. When AMC started airing the Stooges, I recorded them in SP mode. Back then, AMC aired the shorts without commercials, so these copies were as good as buying them, with the exception of the AMC bug in the corner. It was then that I had my first Joe. In fact, I had about six Joe's altogether.

Because of AMC and the official tapes, I had all 97 Curly shorts and about 40 to 50 something Shemp shorts and around 6 Joe shorts. I was in the process of copy-taping these in chronological order (I don't know what i would have done once I got up to the Shemps, but for that time I was happy to put all the Curlys in order) when DVDs came out. I decided to start all over again. But Sony was doing the same format as they did on VHS, just transferring them to DVD. Anyways, I was starting over again, but getting nowhere. I figured I may never have Joe Besser on DVD.

Then I heard about The Three Stooges Collection and was thrilled. At first I was a little upset, because I thought all 190 would be released at once. But I was still happy to be getting them in order. And after the third set, i was pretty sure I'd at least get all the Curlys again. Then as the Shemps continued to come out I was figuring I would have Joe Besser. Then the announcement came out for volume 8. Tomorrow is the day. A historical day in my Three Stooges collection. I was just a kid when i started the collection (in middle school) and now i'm 28-years-old and finally finishing my Stooges shorts collection. I've also collected the other Stooge oddities, such as "Meet the Baron/Gold Raiders" two-pack, different documentaries, the 'Jerks of All Trades' TV pilot, Kook's Tour, some of the cartoon episodes and whatnot. Plus a very poor quality release of "The Early Years." Along with all but Have Gun, Will Travel of the Curly-Joe DeRita Stooge films.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
finally finishing my Stooges shorts collection. I've also collected the other Stooge oddities, such as "Meet the Baron/Gold Raiders" two-pack, different documentaries, the 'Jerks of All Trades' TV pilot, Kook's Tour, some of the cartoon episodes and whatnot. Plus a very poor quality release of "The Early Years." Along with all but Have Gun, Will Travel of the Curly-Joe DeRita Stooge films.

FYI -
Three Stooges Videography, 1980 - present

Offline Myren

Just picked up my set. Now it is just sitting on my desk looking at me till I get home to watch it. This is going to be a long day. ;D

xraffle

Offline stooge1029

Ugh Its supposed to be here today I ordered rush delivery since my local stores never seem to have these sets on time. No sign of it. I was really looking forward to it coming today.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Finally, the UPS man has arrived on my doorstep. To quote Curly, "What a day!"

[pie]
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline falsealarms

To have these final entries on DVD is amazing. Even a few years ago, I don't think many here had much hope that we'd get these on DVD.

So far all looks good with this volume, though I haven't delved too deeply into yet.

Offline Stooge-Adam

I went to my Best Buy today and there it was. i quickly picked it up from the shelf and hugged it. The joy I had knowing I now own all 190 Three Stooges shorts. Simply put, it's a dream come true.

Offline falsealarms

I went to my Best Buy today and there it was. i quickly picked it up from the shelf and hugged it. The joy I had knowing I now own all 190 Three Stooges shorts. Simply put, it's a dream come true.

It kinda is, isn't it? It's what some of us have been chasing for years with those 3 short VHS tapes, those 4-7 short "themed" DVDs and the like.

Offline metaldams

Went to Target on my lunch break there it was.  I shall watch over the next few nights, each short in chronological order, eagerly awaiting the back of Palma's head and Ms. Landers turning the heat on for us all.  Never mind it's humid as Hell where I am these past few days, Ms. Landers shall be allowed to make it ever so hotter (and sweeter).

Oooooh, glory days are here-ah, alleluia!  If I don't stop now, I'll start typing in tongues.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline dimelives

Agghh, I can't wait any longer! >< The Amazon shipping won't get it here until next tuesday. I've set that order to refund, and I'm gonna go pickup another copy at Best Buy as soon as they email me the confirmation. Gotta have it!! lol [pie]

Offline HELLOLARRY

While watching "Space Ship Sappy" on the new volume, during the beginning title sequence just as it ends to start the short  it bounces back for half a second to ML&J from the beginning.

I didn't notice this on my copy. One thing I did notice was that in Flying Saucer Daffy and Triple Crossed, those 'preview' tags are missing at the beginning.  Were those only tacked on for the television broadcasts or are those supposed to be on the DVDs?  It's not a deal breaker for me but I was wondering.

Offline QuinceHead

My order from amazon.com (pre-ordered back in March) was waiting for me when I got home from work today!   ;D

Cheers,
JohnH
aka QuinceHead

Offline Stooges#1

Mine has shipped.  ;D

Its been picked-up from Phoenix so hopefully it leaves from LA or New York in the next few hours on its long journey to Australia so I can get it by friday.

Offline dimelives

Ok, picked mine up :) *sigh* How great to finally have the entire Stooge series... Just... amazing  ;D

Thank you very, very much Sony. Well done.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Fry's didn't order any copies so I was SOL after work. I'll have to go out later to Best Buy or Target. Can't wait!
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)