Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2014 MLB Thread

Offline Svengarlic

The Braves have re-surged, knocking the Pirates damn near out of the WC picture. The Giants getting closer to LA, KC still rolling. The Reds knocked out. The Evil Empire all but knocked out. Best month of the season coming up.  :)

Offline Shemp_Diesel

This is shaping up to be one of the best MLB regular seasons I can remember...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

This is shaping up to be one of the best MLB regular seasons I can remember...

Better than 1903, 1912, 1915, 1916, 1918, 2004, 2007, and last year?  Pfft!

Nothing beats 1903.  What fond memories!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Heh, fond memories, indeed.   :P  I wonder what Bela Lugosi was doing in 1903? Had he immigrated to America yet; it's been awhile since I read any of his bios...

And for something baseball related...  I'm really hoping the Mariners get that 2nd Wild Card. It would be nice for the whole country to get a chance to see King Felix on a national stage. I think he would acquit himself quite well in the postseason...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Watching the Angels, looks like their ace, Garrett Richards, just went down trying to cover first on a double play.  It looks like it's his knee, and he appears in agony.  Poor guy, and a blow to the Angels.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Heh, fond memories, indeed.   :P  I wonder what Bela Lugosi was doing in 1903? Had he immigrated to America yet; it's been awhile since I read any of his bios...

It's a little known fact, but in 1903, Bela was a huge star in Hungarian baseball's undead ball era.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Just saw on MLB Network, Garrett Richards getting carted off the field. It looks bad; but hopefully it's nothing too serious. This would be terrible for the Angels if he goes down for any length of time....

Offline metaldams

Just saw on MLB Network, Garrett Richards getting carted off the field. It looks bad; but hopefully it's nothing too serious. This would be terrible for the Angels if he goes down for any length of time....

I saw it happen live, the pained look on his face and the time it took to get him off the field was disturbing.  I hope he's OK, but I don't think it looks good.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

I saw it happen live, the pained look on his face and the time it took to get him off the field was disturbing.  I hope he's OK, but I don't think it looks good.
I agree. It's a disaster for the Halos.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Watching the highlights--it's not everyday you see Uehara blow a save; he's a lot like Kimbrel as far as being almost automatic. It happens sometimes...

Offline Shemp_Diesel

And I almost forgot--how about them Tigers. Oh, to be a Tigers fan right now--I can only imagine....

:-\

Offline metaldams

Watching the highlights--it's not everyday you see Uehara blow a save; he's a lot like Kimbrel as far as being almost automatic. It happens sometimes...

Uehara gave up five runs with two outs.  He has been struggling lately, but unlike Kimbrel he's 39 years old.  His workload these past two years has been a lot for him, so I thought he would break down much sooner than he has.  Even if he never comes back, what he did for Boston in 2013 was incredible.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

What's up with this new Sox aquisition? I hear they paid a lot for him and he's not a young man. Must be some kind of player!

As to Oakland and Detroit: For all their big dealing they are 9-11 and 10-11 in August. Both have lost their division leads.   

Offline metaldams

What's up with this new Sox aquisition? I hear they paid a lot for him and he's not a young man. Must be some kind of player!

As to Oakland and Detroit: For all their big dealing they are 9-11 and 10-11 in August. Both have lost their division leads.

Castillo is 27 (so he claims), so he's just about to enter his prime.  Boston is in desperate need of offense, and this guy supposedly could be a lead off type hitter and good defender for years.  We'll wait and see.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

How about those Cubs sweeping the mighty Orioles? And the Phillies came a hair from sweeping the Cards as the Pirates came a hair from sweeping the Brewers! The spoilers are starting early this year.

Offline JazzBill

How about those Cubs sweeping the mighty Orioles?
While being in complete rebuilding mode the Cubs are starting to show some form of life. I think in a year or two they could be a force to be reckoned with.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The Yankees appear to be the talk of the town today. The fact that they are still in the playoff hunt is remarkable, given their offensive woes and their pitching troubles. This week could be make or break for the Yanks as far as their shot at getting back into the Wild Card race or dare I say, chasing down the Orioles. At KC, Detroit and Toronto... play ball!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Apparently, that 3 game sweep by the Cubbies pissed Baltimore off and they are taking it out on the Rays tonight...

Offline Svengarlic

The Yankees appear to be the talk of the town today. The fact that they are still in the playoff hunt is remarkable, given their offensive woes and their pitching troubles. This week could be make or break for the Yanks as far as their shot at getting back into the Wild Card race or dare I say, chasing down the Orioles. At KC, Detroit and Toronto... play ball!
They really do have a chance. Tanaka is returning soon.

The Cubs brought up one of their uber Cuban rookies today, a hard hitting Jose Soler. Most likely will start tonight in Cincy vs. Cueto. Good luck Kid!

Offline Lefty

Today is the last day any trades can be made (through waivers), and in theory, to qualify for the playoffs, one must be on the roster today.

Of course, the big news today is the Phillies vs. the Mets, where the loser (which is really both teams) moves into the N.L. East basement.   [pie]

Offline JazzBill

Adam Dunn to Oakland, I'm sure glad to see the Sox get rid of him.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Shemp_Diesel

How about them Angels--looking at a possible 4 game drubbing of the A's. How long ago was it that many pundits were putting Oakland in the World Series? I guess it could still happen--after all, all you have to do is get in the tournament and you have a chance, but right now, Oakland looks to me like they may be another "one and done" come October...

Offline Svengarlic

How about them Angels--looking at a possible 4 game drubbing of the A's. How long ago was it that many pundits were putting Oakland in the World Series? I guess it could still happen--after all, all you have to do is get in the tournament and you have a chance, but right now, Oakland looks to me like they may be another "one and done" come October...
And they did it! Oaktown fans have got to be sick right now. Over in the NL... SF is hanging tough behind LA and the Cards caught the Brewers. Tied on September 1st kind of makes the previous 5 months feel like an extended spring training, and it all starts now.
   But the Pirates are playing better ball than both right now as Josh Harrison is emerging as that teams MVP. It seems he's on "Plays of the Day" every night.

Offline Svengarlic

Today is the last day any trades can be made (through waivers), and in theory, to qualify for the playoffs, one must be on the roster today.

Of course, the big news today is the Phillies vs. the Mets, where the loser (which is really both teams) moves into the N.L. East basement.   [pie]
Congrats to the Phils for their combo no hitter yesterday to squash the Braves and put them a game and a half off the WC pace!

After 130 games in first, the "new look" Cubbies knocked the Brewers out of it. The Cardinals were the benefactors as they assumed 1st place in the Central, which they had shared twice for only a matter of hours. This is most likely Milwaukee's death knell as their team MVP this year, torrid hitting Carlos Gomez, is sitting out due to a hand injury incurred on a vicious swing the previous day.

Have you ever seen this guy swing? The guy sometimes falls down from swinging so hard!

_