Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

On this day in History: Halloween

Offline Svengarlic

Halloween has been a busy day in history. Most notably of course, is that my hero Houdini died in 1926. It was 25 years from the day that the man that would become his friend, and later enemy, Conan Doyle, published his first Sherlock Holmes novel.

Indira Ghandi met the great cow in the sky when she was murdered by her own bodyguards in '84.

From a visit to the U.S. in the fifties.

River Phoenix chose Halloween to O.D. in '93. They buried him in a Tee shirt.

My Man, Martin Luther, posted his scourge to the Catholics, the 99 Thesis in 1517 that kicked off the reformation. They haven't learned a fucking thing, still.

The Jackie Robinson of basketball, Earl Lloyd, made his first start for the Washington Capitols in 1950.

Last, but certainly not least was Ed Sullivan's trip to Heathrow Airport in 1963 on his way back to New York after CBS paid for a vacation for him that he disguised as a "talent search". He was pissed, then later curious of the huge crowd that made it impossible for him to board the plane. The rest, as they say, was history.

To this day I've yet to meet anyone that does not remember where they were on this Sunday night in February, 1964

Offline stoogerascalfan62

I'm sure you mean February 9th. The 7th was on a Friday.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Ah, yes, Sven's hero, Erich Weiss.   :)  What a sad death he had, and a needless one, too.  There are so many "if only" points at which he needn't have died, especially the first one where the student punched him (and not once but four times).

Also on this day some years ago:  curmudgeonly Signor Spumoni quit giving Halloween treats at all because so many adults showed up annually.  The comic strip, "Drabble" had a couple of good ones on this topic on Wednesday and Thursday of this week. 

Offline Svengarlic

Ah, yes, Sven's hero, Erich Weiss.   :)  What a sad death he had, and a needless one, too.  There are so many "if only" points at which he needn't have died, especially the first one where the student punched him (and not once but four times).

Also on this day some years ago:  curmudgeonly Signor Spumoni quit giving Halloween treats at all because so many adults showed up annually.  The comic strip, "Drabble" had a couple of good ones on this topic on Wednesday and Thursday of this week.
I went to the trouble of getting candy and not one kid knocked on my door last night! It's gonna take 6 months for me to eat all this shit

Offline Signor Spumoni

I went to the trouble of getting candy and not one kid knocked on my door last night! It's gonna take 6 months for me to eat all this shit

Give us your address, Sven; we'll all be over to help you polish it off this weekend.  :D

Offline Lefty

Last year, a number of small ones came to our house twice.  Maybe they knew that no one would be home last night, as it was bowling night.  In our league, 42 of 75 bowlers showed up, including my entire team, while the vast majority of the others pre-bowled, including our opponents.  "The other league," as I say with disdain, took the night off and will make it up at 0830 hours tomorrow.  Yes, that's 8:30 a.m. on a Sunday, even with the extra hour from overnight.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Last year, a number of small ones came to our house twice.  Maybe they knew that no one would be home last night, as it was bowling night.  In our league, 42 of 75 bowlers showed up, including my entire team, while the vast majority of the others pre-bowled, including our opponents.  "The other league," as I say with disdain, took the night off and will make it up at 0830 hours tomorrow.  Yes, that's 8:30 a.m. on a Sunday, even with the extra hour from overnight.

I learned a new word, thanks to you, Lefty:  pre-bowled.  :)  I hope your team and league do well. 

I began giving out Halloween candy in high school.  For the first time since then, there was not one child to be seen on the street last night.  Considering that one year children came to our block on a school bus from a city about fifteen miles away, this is unusual. 

Offline Signor Spumoni

Where did you find this Halloween costume, MiddleNameWayne?