Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2014 MLB Thread

Offline Svengarlic

I see that the Bosox gave AJ Pierzynski his unconditional release and that the Cardinals have him starting today. I don't get it. I thought he was a solid ballplayer. What's the 411?

Offline metaldams

I see that the Bosox gave AJ Pierzynski his unconditional release and that the Cardinals have him starting today. I don't get it. I thought he was a solid ballplayer. What's the 411?

The 411 is he's 37 years old, was signed on a one year deal, was on a losing team that's going nowhere and the playing time would be better served for a young prospect (Christian Vasquez).
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

BoSox doing some more house cleaning--Jake Peavy traded to the Giants. I guess the towel has been thrown in on the 2014 season for Boston?
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

BoSox doing some more house cleaning--Jake Peavy traded to the Giants. I guess the towel has been thrown in on the 2014 season for Boston?

Yeah, it appears so.  I'd be fine watching the kids play at this point for the rest of the season, but will be very upset if Lester is not the opening day starter in 2015.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

There's a lot of talk about Lester leaving at the end of the season. Just talk.

Offline Lefty

And by Thursday, Ruin Tomorrow Jr. will trade Cole Hamels and the or-guh-nye-zay-shun's three top prospects to (fill in the team) for these magic beans!   [pie]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I'm curious Lefty, what do you think the Phillies should do with Ryan Howard?
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Svengarlic

I'm curious Lefty, what do you think the Phillies should do with Ryan Howard?
I was thinking of asking him the same question. I think he will be picked up by one of the LA teams. What have they got to lose? Not money.

Offline Lefty

Now that Ryan Howard hat that tip-top performance yesterday, the Phillies will probably keep him for the duration of his contract.   :o

Actually, I have heard that not even an American League team is interested in him as a DH, unless the Phillies pay his entire salary.

Personally, as a masochist -- uh, a Phillies' fan -- I don't like to say this, but the Big Piece is never going to be of much value to the Phillies anymore.  He is way overweight, his Achilles probably will never be 100% again, his play at first base leaves something to be desired to say the least, and he refuses to adjust at the plate.  All of his hits now are either home runs on down-the-middle fastballs or check-swing bloopers to left field.

Offline Svengarlic

The 411 is he's 37 years old, was signed on a one year deal, was on a losing team that's going nowhere and the playing time would be better served for a young prospect (Christian Vasquez).
I see. In the last few days I have learned that he's also some kind of team pariah. But the Cards are desperate for a catcher right now.

I don't get the Giants signing Jake Peavy and especially Dan Uggla. That man is melba.... as in TOAST. Smacks of desperation. I don't see them making the post season now.

BTW, there's a story going around that the former masher, LA's Matt Kemp is Boston bound. Probably true as the Dodgers have a glut of OF'ers.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Jon Lester has been traded to the Athletics, perhaps sewing up the Western division for Oakland....

Offline Svengarlic

Jon Lester has been traded to the Athletics, perhaps sewing up the Western division for Oakland....
They will cakewalk now! Hamel is staying with the Phils I see. As I type, Price is still a RAY. He was knocked around for the 1st time in a while yesterday.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The Red Sox firesale continues--Lackey traded to St. Louis. I wonder how Red Sox nation is feeling right about now?

Offline Svengarlic

Wow! Redsox trade Lacky for Allen Craig and SP Joe Kelly from the Cardinals. May be an excellent trade for the Sox if Craig bounces back from the ankle issue. You may remember Craig as the limping pinch hitter that was bouncing all those doubles off the Green Monster and getting tangled up with the 3rd baseman in the World Series.

Offline Svengarlic

Take a read at the Talk Sox forum. Real baseball fans there.

http://www.talksox.com/forum/
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:06:32 PM by metaldams »

Offline Shemp_Diesel

David Price headed to Detroit--Scherzer,  Verlander and Price as your big three in October; that seems pretty damn scary, even with all the moves Oakland made to strengthen their rotation. This might be one hell of an October postseason coming up...

Offline Svengarlic

David Price headed to Detroit--Scherzer,  Verlander and Price as your big three in October; that seems pretty damn scary, even with all the moves Oakland made to strengthen their rotation. This might be one hell of an October postseason coming up...
You beat me to the punch Diesel! I was going to say the exact thing. Poor Oakland goes all in for the ammo to beat the Tigers and now this. Just wow!

Offline metaldams

Take a read at the Talk Sox forum. Real baseball fans there.

http://www.talksox.com/forum/

I read that forum all the time, but do not post there.  I posted for a few weeks a few years back under the handle Boggs Chicken Dinner, but honestly, I can't keep up with all the number crunching those guys do.  Still like to read the posts, though.

As far as this one Red Sox fan's opinion, I'm still letting this all sink in, but under the circumstances, I think it's good they are trying to get some value and evaluate for next year and beyond.  There are going to be a lot of rookies pitching these next few months, so it will be nice to see what they have now so they can figure out what to go after in the off season.  Anthony Ranaudo, for example, pitches his MLB debut tomorrow night.  I'm looking forward to it.

I will miss the hell out of Lester if Boston doesn't resign him.  That said this trade only prevents him from pitching in a Boston uniform the next two months, and I'm happy about Cespedes.  Boston desperately needs power, and he's the right guy.

I think Lackey will do well down the stretch for St. Louis.  He's a good number two pitcher, and will eat a lot of innings.  Looking forward to seeing how Craig and Kelly do.

This all said, along with a Price going to Detroit, the AL East won't be the same.  Shit, Boston and New Uork were trading partners today, the '03 - '07 glory days of the rivalry are done.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

I think Lackey will do well down the stretch for St. Louis.  He's a good number two pitcher, and will eat a lot of innings.  Looking forward to seeing how Craig and Kelly do.

This all said, along with a Price going to Detroit, the AL East won't be the same.  Shit, Boston and New Uork were trading partners today, the '03 - '07 glory days of the rivalry are done.
Do you really think that trade will effect the rivalry? I don't think anything could change that in our lifetime. As to Lackey returning to Boston, I agree that it's very likely. The Cardinals are a no fun type of team and losing the all fun Kelly can't help.

On the mound he's no fun for batters when he's locating his fastball. He routinely gets in trouble and pitches himself out of it. It HAS to unnerve his manager. But by the 6th his pitch count is usually closing in on 100. If the Sox have a good set-up man he will be great #3 arm. He won't win 20 but he won't lose 10.

Craig is a mystery. Many believe that his ankle is still  unsound, though he shows no limp. PED deprivation is likely but can't explain his BA dip from a career minor and major league .300 hitter to .230 this year. A terrific opposite field hitter that can turn on a pitch middle in and pull for power. The shots that are dying on the track now will be careening off of that Green Monster.

Not known for his defense, he is in fact a good outfielder with a knack for cutting off potential doubles and triples. He rarely leaves his feet diving for a ball, but catches it every time when he does. In the 4 years that he's played the outfield he has NEVER made an error. He's good at 1B as well, where his average arm is no issue.

If Kelly rises to his potential and Craig returns to his clutch ways the Bosox will have made monster trade.  ;)

Offline Lefty

Three best jobs in the world:

1.  Politician:  Steal zillions of dollars, work (if one could call it that) a combined ten days a year, retire with six-figure pension and free health care for life, and never pay taxes at that level of government or below.

2.  Supreme Court "Justice":  Lifetime tenure, big bucks, cannot be canned no matter how many unconstitutional/harmful rulings are made.

3.  Baseball umpire:  Lifetime tenure, can yell and curse at anyone and toss anyone from a game because everyone came to see the umpire, not the players.  (I'm talking to you, Joe West, C.B. Bucknor, Chris Guccione, Bob Davidson, Dan Iassogna, etc.)

Offline Svengarlic

I see that Allen Craig has re-injured that ankle. Hell, the Sox are out of it anyway, so why not just sit him now? Give him 9 months to get get it healed for good.

Offline Svengarlic

I just can't believe that Detroit has let the ROYALS take over 1st place. How did they get so good all of a sudden? I can't name a single KC player.  :o

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Yeah, I was ready to put Detroit in the World Series after the David Price deal and now look at them. Even if the Tigers somehow win this Central division, I don't think the other teams in the AL are quaking in their boots at the thought of facing Detroit....

Offline Shemp_Diesel

It's funny how this game of baseball works. Detroit in 2nd place and they made a big trade deadline splash--and now, Oakland, who also did some wheeling and dealing at the trade deadline, trail the Angels by percentage points. Aye carumba....

Offline Svengarlic

Yep. The Brewers did nothing and continues to quietly be one of the top teams in the game. Beat Grenke AND Kershaw to slow down the Dodgers a bit.