Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2014 MLB Thread

Offline Lefty

I have seen the Brewers' version of Cargo swing and fall down a few times.

The Phillies are back within 1/2 game of the all-important 4th spot in the division.  Too bad they let the second coming of Brian Schneider, now known as Anthony Recker (should have a "W" to start the last name) do them in again on Sunday.

That was the first-ever no-hitter by (1) more than one Phillies' pitcher and (B) the Phillies in the month of September.  Now they have no-nos in every month from April to October.  Tonight it will likely end in the first inning when "The" Kyle Kendrick gives up 2-5 runs.

Congrats to the Phils for their combo no hitter yesterday to squash the Braves and put them a game and a half off the WC pace!

After 130 games in first, the "new look" Cubbies knocked the Brewers out of it. The Cardinals were the benefactors as they assumed 1st place in the Central, which they had shared twice for only a matter of hours. This is most likely Milwaukee's death knell as their team MVP this year, torrid hitting Carlos Gomez, is sitting out due to a hand injury incurred on a vicious swing the previous day.

Have you ever seen this guy swing? The guy sometimes falls down from swinging so hard!

_

Offline Svengarlic

The Phils are starting to look like they're going to be big time NL spoilers this September, along with the Cubs and Rockies, who are pure-D Kryptonite to the Giants.

I hazard to guess that if the Cubs get the sweep of the Brewers tonight they (Brews) won't even salvage a Wild Card spot. And what's up with ESPN showing the Yanks/Sox game tonight instead of one that means something? This bias is never ending!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The Brewers collapse--some might say it was inevitable, that eventually the Cards were going to take control of the Central division and they have. The Cardinals are a lot like the Spurs in basketball--you just can't kill 'em....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Svengarlic

That Brewers team is a fairly wild and undisciplined bunch. I really feel sorry for Ron Roenicke. They were projected to be an 80-82 win type team, and that's about how they'll end up. But because of that great start....well, you know.

I don't feel sorry for Braun, the artist.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Cowboy Joe West laid down the law the other day--it will be interesting to see how MLB handles this situation as far as whether or not Joe gets some kind of discipline for actually putting his hands on Papelbon--not that Pap didn't make an ass out of himself, but Joe West seemed to only exacerbate the situation....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Lefty

Cowboy Joe West laid down the law the other day--it will be interesting to see how MLB handles this situation as far as whether or not Joe gets some kind of discipline for actually putting his hands on Papelbon--not that Pap didn't make an ass out of himself, but Joe West seemed to only exacerbate the situation....

Jonathan Papelbon, whose last name has been "adjusted" by commenters on philly.com, looks a lot like The Miz -- and acts like him sometimes.  His suspension is deserved, but he should have laid out Cowchip Joe West once that fat slob touched Paps.  It is so obvious that West has pictures of baseball big shots; there is no way that @$$-clown should have been allowed to keep his job after bodyslamming Dennis Cook in 1990, or been given his job back after he and other imbeciles quit in 1999.  He is the white, bad-tempered version of C.B. Bucknor -- totally incompetent.  And just how did West, who we all know has poor eyesight, know that Papelbon thought he was one of the Crotch Brothers, being far away and behind him?

If I were the commissioner of baseball, I would fire both their candy @$$e$, with a warning to all other umpires that incompetency and belligerence (Hello, Angel, Danny, and Balking Bob) would result in termination, after which I would make all teams have their players wear their last names on the back of their uniforms.

Offline Svengarlic

They gave Joe West 1 game. He's a complete "look at me" asshole. He runs all the way in from behind 2B to take over the situation. The 1B ump should have grabbed his arm and said "Come on Joe...it's Chinatown", or Philadelphia in this case.

Offline Svengarlic

And as I type the spoiling machine that is the Phillies are shutting out the A's. Man! Nothing has went right for them since those trades. They may not even hold on to the 2nd WC spot.

And the Brewers, after 150 days in 1st place are all but out of the playoff picture. The Pirates are on a mission.

Offline Lefty

And as I type the spoiling machine that is the Phillies are shutting out the A's. Man! Nothing has went right for them since those trades. They may not even hold on to the 2nd WC spot.

Tradition has it that whenever the Phillies and the wrong team that left Philly face each other, the home team wins 2 out of 3.  So that guarantees an A's win today.

Yesterday, Jerome Williams became the first pitcher in MLB history to beat a team three times while pitching for three different teams in the same year (the two Texas teams plus the Phillies).

Offline metaldams

Was at the game in Baltimore today and had a good time.  I hear there are Cardinal fans who are upset with the Lackey/Kelly trade, and I can see why.  Joe Kelly looks like he'll be a solid mid rotation guy for a while.  Both teams trotted out spring training line-ups today, but that's to be expected under the circumstances.  No Ortiz, Napoli, Markakis, and Adam Jones was used as a pinch hitter.  Since Pedroia is out for the rest of the season and in 2013 I was at the only game he did not play pre winning the division (he played 160 games overall), this would be my second year in a row not seeing my favorite player.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Yesterday, Jerome Williams became the first pitcher in MLB history to beat a team three times while pitching for three different teams in the same year (the two Texas teams plus the Phillies).

Yes, I heard about that, definitely a crazy feat!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

Tradition has it that whenever the Phillies and the wrong team that left Philly face each other, the home team wins 2 out of 3. So that guarantees an A's win today.

You know your team(s)....Phils out hit 'em 13 to 9 and still lost.  :-\

Offline Lefty

You know your team(s)....Phils out hit 'em 13 to 9 and still lost.  :-\

I know them all too well, having seen 50 years of mostly inefficiency or their part.  No more spoiler role this year, as Miami and Atlanta are their last two opponents.  But it all begins anew in Philly on 4/6/15 against the Red Sox.

Offline Svengarlic

I'm predicting that the Dodgers will go all the way. The Cards won't stop them this year. On top of Kershaw and Grenke, Matt Kemp is looking like his old self, Gonzales is raking like a fiend. ARam is hitting as well, and Puig is a ticking time bomb.

Their complimentary players are pretty impressive as well, and of course, there's Dee Gordon, who can steal a base seemingly at will. I can't speak on who they will face in the WS. I'm familiar with the Angels and Detroit, not so much with the O's, KC and Oakland.

Who's going to win the AL pennant?

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I think most of the major sports have proven over the last decade or so--just get into the tournament and you have a shot; not so much in the NBA, but still, just get in and you can take the whole thing.

Which is why I would not count out the A's if they got in--but given they way they've looked the last few weeks, another Oakland "one and done" would not surprise me at all.

If I had to put money on it, I would go with an Orioles/Dodgers series--although I know there are some (maybe many) who want to see a Beltway series....

Offline Svengarlic

I think most of the major sports have proven over the last decade or so--just get into the tournament and you have a shot; not so much in the NBA, but still, just get in and you can take the whole thing.

Which is why I would not count out the A's if they got in--but given they way they've looked the last few weeks, another Oakland "one and done" would not surprise me at all.

If I had to put money on it, I would go with an Orioles/Dodgers series--although I know there are some (maybe many) who want to see a Beltway series....

Brother, that would be a politician's dream. Know what I mean?  ;)

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, as of today, the Yankees are officially eliminated from playoff contention...   

[whoo]

The only thing that would possibly be better is if somehow, the National League could finagle the rules to keep the Cardinals out of the playoffs--but I guess you can't have everything...   ;)

Offline metaldams

Well, as of today, the Yankees are officially eliminated from playoff contention...   

[whoo]

[headbang] [hello2] [whoo] [thumbsup2] [salame]

....and to quote Michael Kaye.........   [cya]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

[whoo]

The only thing that would possibly be better is if somehow, the National League could finagle the rules to keep the Cardinals out of the playoffs--but I guess you can't have everything...   ;)   
Have no fear, they won't get past the Dodgers. The Cards can't hit baseballs.

Offline Svengarlic

[whoo]

I'm so goddam sick of this freaking love fest for Jeter, and Olbermann agrees!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Yeah, I had a feeling today was going to be a day for people slurping Jeter, which is why I haven't tuned into MLB Network all day....   ::)

Offline Svengarlic

Heard this morn that Jeter got a walk-off hit last night in his final AB at home. Pretty cool.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Don't know if we have any Royals fans here--but congrats to them and the fanbase in Kansas City. After 29 long years, finally some late September/Early October baseball...

Offline metaldams

Don't know if we have any Royals fans here--but congrats to them and the fanbase in Kansas City. After 29 long years, finally some late September/Early October baseball...

I started following baseball in 1986, the year after their last championship, so this is literally the first time I'm seeing a post season Kansas City team.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

Pennant Winner predictions

AL....Orioles

NL....Natinals

This is how I'm betting: NL: Giants beat Pirates for the WC. The Dodgers will beat my Cards handily, then the Nats beat the WC winning Giants. The Nats beat the Dodgers for the pennant.

AL: The Royals beat the A's and upset #1 seed Angels and lose ALCS to the Orioles (that beat Detroit) for the pennant, setting up a Beltway series.

How about it?