My Predictions:

NL Wild Card: Pirates

NLDS: Nats over Pirates in 5 -- Dodgers over Cards in 5

NLCS: Dodgers over Nats in 6

AL Wild Card: Royals

ALDS: Angels over Royals in 4 -- Baltimore over Detroit in 5

ALCS: O's over Angels in 6

World Series: O's over Dodgers in 7

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Svengarlic

Diesel....go out on a limb much? Not only the winners but how many games they DO it in? We agree that the Angels won't make it. It'll be fun to see how it plays out.  :)

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I'm just happy that the playoffs are finally here. Should be a great tournament no matter what happens & I expect all my picks to blow up in my face...

[pie]
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Svengarlic

Tell me about it! Since division play began I have NEVER picked the the WS contenders correctly.

Offline metaldams

What I'm about say say comes from a Red Sox fan....Jon Lester owns the Royals.

Career 9 - 3 1.84 ERA, one no hitter.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

4 cross state possibles
Cards-Royals for I-70 II
Dodgers-Angels for the All LA Series
Giants-Athletics for the All Bay Area II Series (these teams also met a couple of times as NY and Philly)
Orioles-Nationals for the All Beltway Series

Other interesting matchups
Tigers-Pirates for the All-Rust Belt Series (last time these two teams met in the Series was 1909, Cobb vs Wagner)
Pirates-Orioles for Round 3 (Bucs won rounds 1 and 2 in '71 and '79)
Cards-Orioles for a rematch of the 1944 Streetcar Series, only the Browns are now  Baltimore

An interesting ALCS would be Royals/Athletics. There has to be some old KC Athletics fans still around.

FWI In over 100 years of baseball for the Dodgers and Tigers, including quite a few pennants between them, there has never been a Dodger/Tiger World Series

Gotta love the catagories in this "Hateability" chart of the playoff contenders!

Offline Lefty

An interesting ALCS would be Royals/Athletics. There has to be some old KC Athletics fans still around.

Well, not the ALCS, but it is tonight's Wild Card game.  It would really be interesting if the A's were able to scrounge up some old KC outfits to rile up the crowd.

I am not making any predictions, but I will be happy if St. Louis does not win it all, and if Jayson Werthless or Bryce Harper strikes out to end a series.  Or even Luke Harper.  Or Erick Rowan.  Or Bray Wyatt.   :-\

Offline Svengarlic

Well, not the ALCS, but it is tonight's Wild Card game.  It would really be interesting if the A's were able to scrounge up some old KC outfits to rile up the crowd.

I am not making any predictions, but I will be happy if St. Louis does not win it all, and if Jayson Werthless or Bryce Harper strikes out to end a series.  Or even Luke Harper.  Or Erick Rowan.  Or Bray Wyatt.   :-\
Yeah, I meant Wild Card of course. The Cards can't get past Kershaw and Grenke in a 5 game series. There's not enough *Pixie Dust* in Never-Neverland for that to happen. But if Wainwright can out pitch CK in game one, they could make it interesting.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Baserunning blunder by the Royals in the bottom of the 1st--had the potential for putting up more than 1 run on Lester; we'll see if that comes back to haunt KC....

Offline Shemp_Diesel

If this 5-3 score holds up, I'm guessing Ned Yost will be getting raked over the coals come tomorrow...

Offline metaldams

If this 5-3 score holds up, I'm guessing Ned Yost will be getting raked over the coals come tomorrow...

The announcers said it right.  Putting some rookie starter, no matter how talented, in a sixth inning tight relief situation in the playoffs when he hasn't done that all year is not a smart move.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

The announcers said it right.  Putting some rookie starter, no matter how talented, in a sixth inning tight relief situation in the playoffs when he hasn't done that all year is not a smart move.

PS:  Ventura threw 73 pitches on Sunday.

Lester, Gomes, Moss, Crisp, Reddick, Lowrie - I have no choice but to root for Oakland.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Going into extras!  If the A's lose this game it would be the perfect microcosm of their season - far ahead and then completely collapsing.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

I'm still watching too...it's been an amazing game. BIG story if the Royals prevail.

Offline metaldams

It's the bottom of the 12th as I type this.  Thank God tomorrow's my short day and I don't start work until 2:30.  I'm staying until the end!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

.....and it's over!  One of the greatest ball games I've seen, if not the best (that still goes to game 6 of the 2011 WS).
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

Offline metaldams

What a fucking game! Huh, Metal? Just WOW!

Yeah, seriously! Good night to be a KC fan, I imagine.  God knows they deserve it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

I was reading a Royals forum that usually gets about 3 or 4 pages in their game thread. Last night they had 46. Grown men were crying and telling little stories about their childhood fandom, and the like. I got a kick out of their joy. It went on 'till after 3 AM.

If they manage to beat the Angels there will be much "team of destiny" talk.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Orioles def Tigers
Angels def Royals

Cardinals over Dodgers
Nationals over Giants

Orioles over Angels
Cardinals over Nationals

Baltimore wins World Series 4-2.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Svengarlic

AL tonight. I picked the O's and Angels, but I'm rooting for Detroit and KC. Since the Angels are my least favorite ML team I'm going to have to stay up late. Please, no extra's!

If KC somehow manages to win that series I've no doubt they go all the way. It's not the Missouri team I'd prefer, but I'll take it. A few random thoughts: Ned Yost was one lucky sonovabitch for his team to take his dumb ass off the hook....What a beat-down by the Giants last night! The Pirates tease Pittsburgh again. I never saw a crowd go so quiet, like a light switch turned them off when Crawford hit the slam.

That Royals crowd was amazing. Great noise, well timed outbursts, no freaking waves or wagging of those silly ass snot rags that LA and St. Louis love so much, and in the 12th inning all asses were still in the seats. (Dodger fans start exodus in the 8th)

I'll get my first look at Scherzer tonite. I hope he's not on. I hate pitching duels.

Did you guys see this?

The Batter’s Box Rule: “The batter shall keep at least one foot in the batter’s box throughout his at-bat, unless one of a series of established exceptions occurs, in which case the batter may leave the batter’s box but not the dirt area surrounding home plate. (Exceptions include a foul ball or a foul tip; a pitch forcing the batter out of the batter’s box; “time” being requested and granted; a wild pitch or a passed ball; and several others.)

No-Pitch Intentional Walks: In the event a team decides to intentionally walk a batter, no pitches shall be thrown. Instead, the manager shall signal to the home plate umpire with four fingers, and the batter should proceed to first base to become a runner.

20-Second Rule [AT 17 SALT RIVER FIELDS HOME GAMES ONLY]: A modified version of Rule 8.04, which discourages unnecessary delays by the pitcher, shall apply. Rule 8.04 requires the pitcher to deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball with the bases unoccupied. The penalty prescribed by Rule 8.04 for a pitcher’s violation of the Rule is that the umpire shall call “Ball.”

2:05 Inning Break Clock: There shall be a maximum 2:05 break between innings. Hitters must enter the batter’s box by the 1:45 mark. When batters violate this rule, the Umpire may call an automatic strike. When batters are set by the appropriate time and pitchers fail to throw a pitch before the conclusion of the 2:05 period, the Umpire shall call a ball.

2:30 Pitching Change Break Clock: There shall be a maximum 2:30 break for pitching changes, including pitching changes that occur during an inning break. The first pitch must be thrown before the conclusion of the 2:30 period or the umpire shall call a ball. The clock shall start when the new pitcher enters the playing field (i.e., crosses the warning track, or foul line).

Three “Time Out” Limit: Each team shall be permitted only three “Time Out” conferences per game (including extra innings). Such conferences shall include player conferences with the pitcher (including the catcher), manager or coach conferences with the pitcher, and coach conferences with a batter. Conferences during pitching changes, and time outs called as a result of an injury or other emergency, shall not be counted towards this limit. A manager, coach or player will not be permitted to call a fourth time out in violation of this Rule. In such cases, the game will continue uninterrupted, and offenders may be subject to discipline.

That's the AZ league's new guidelines, many of which were already adopted, but never really observed. I don't believe that ANY of them will be followed in the Major's either. If the sponsors had their way the games would last 4 hours.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Back and forth slugfest developing between the Birds and Tigers--no shock there....

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I'm more of a pitcher's duel kind of guy, but a slugfest can be entertaining as well...

Offline Svengarlic

OMG! I just don't have the patience to watch a no scoring contest. I need action, and plenty of it! So far so good  ;)