Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2014 MLB Thread

Offline Svengarlic

The Giants are the cream of the NL. They will cakewalk to the playoffs as KC is moon walking out of it. Not to slam the Royals, but the Tigers will prevail. They're just too strong.

The 2 team NL East may not be decided 'till the last day of the season. The Nats/Braves are becoming quite the rivals and are evenly matched. St. Louis will be waiting to see which of the rivals they get to squash. (the Cards feast on the East)

The in-fighting in the NL Central is always fun to watch. The boss Brewers have returned in spite of the decline of the "Artist". But I think they are just an injury away from disaster, while the Cards are DEEP in starting pitching, the only thing keeping them afloat as Wainwright and Kelly are both on the mend. The .340 team RISP days ended in last year's playoffs.

The Pirates have hot rookie Greg Polanco sparking the team, while the Reds have Votto and Chapman back. I just cant't see the Brewers holding off all three teams very much longer.

I hate to admit it, but the AL East just ain't the same without the Yanks/Sawx leading the chase. But I won't be surprised if the Sox make a serious surge and overtake overachieving Toronto.

I don't pay much attention to the AL West. They never make it to the WS in spite of drowning in cash.

Offline Lefty

The Phillies have just completed a sweep of the former first-place team known as the Atlanta Braves, in Atlanta no less.  Now the Phillies are only 4.5 games out of first in the N.L. Least, pending the results of the Gnats and Marlenes tonight. 

In other news, senile president Dave ".300 Monty" Montgomery celebrated by giving GM Ruin Tomorrow Jr. a 5-year contract extension with 2 years of mutual options to follow.  In 2019, citing the 10-and-5 rule, Rube the Boob will refuse to step down when he is fired by the man who will have taken over .300 Monty's job.

Offline metaldams

I don't think Boston will make a surge, as their offense is incredibly anemic this year.  They did just manage to sweep Minnesota in a three game series by scoring five runs, including today's 10 inning game.  Rumors that Babe Ruth will be pitching for them this weekend and Tris Speaker will be manning centerfield are just that, rumors.

They have a few young kids that are fun to watch, and after last season, not to mention '04 and '07, I can live with a rebuilding year.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

I think any time you sweep a statistically equal or better team you're on an upswing. That they did it on 5 runs is, well....a wrinkle?

May I predict that if they get out to a lead tonight they will win the series? It's time for the Jays to come down.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Tim Lincecum does it again. Another no-hitter against the Padres, but unlike last year, he didn't need to throw 200 pitches to do it.   :D
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Svengarlic

What a difference a month makes. Seems like it was a month ago, I was ready to anoint the Tigers and put them in the World Series--now they trail the Royals by a half game in the Central.

And for all the money they spent, will the Dodgers be happy if they have to get into the playoffs via the Wild Card? Of course, the division race is not over yet, but it's hard for me to imagine the Giants giving it up...
What a difference a WEEK makes. Tigers back in front. And over in the NL the Brews are holding tough on 1st. But I expect the Reds will make a push real soon. They got Votto and "Baron" Latos back and the Hamilton kid is running ape-sit over the league.

Offline metaldams

Tim Lincecum does it again. Another no-hitter against the Padres, but unlike last year, he didn't need to throw 200 pitches to do it.   :D

Funny, the guy is one of the most dominant pitchers in baseball for a few years and never gets a no-no.  Then, amidst two or three seasons of mediocrity, he throws two no-nos.  Life is strange.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

The last Giant to have 2 no hitters was........hold on to your butts.........Christey Mathewson.  :o

Offline metaldams

The last Giant to have 2 no hitters was........hold on to your butts.........Christey Mathewson.  :o

Christy Mathewson predates The Three Stooges, so that is pretty old.

Hey, good for Lincecum, though.  Homer Bailey's another guy, kind of a mid rotation guy, two no hitters.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

Yep. Bailey is a TOTAL mystery to me. He looks like hell most of the time, but one in about every 5 starts he's damn near un-hittable. Must drive his team crazy.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Dodgers and Tigers tonight--a possible World Series preview?
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Svengarlic

Dodgers and Tigers tonight--a possible World Series preview?
That's very possible, but the div, races are so close it's damn near impossible to call now.

I posted this on the 2013 thread by mistake:

Just happened on this checking the standings. Prince Fielder doing a tastefully nude photo spread for ESPN The Magazine, highlighting his tatoos. He's going to get some serious heat from Peter Gamons on this one.  :)

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24610987/pictured-prince-fielder-not-pictured-prince-fielders-clothes

On the real baseball scene the A's, already the best AL team may land Price, and over in the NL the Brewers are finally showing signs of normality as the yapping curs that are Pittsburg, Cincy and St. Louis are finally beginning to nip at those cheesy heels.

Offline metaldams

On the real baseball scene the A's, already the best AL team may land Price, and over in the NL the Brewers are finally showing signs of normality as the yapping curs that are Pittsburg, Cincy and St. Louis are finally beginning to nip at those cheesy heels.

I think the A's are tired of being a great regular season team only to lose in the ALDS every year.  I would not be surprised if they landed Price, as I really think they are in all or nothing mode.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

I think the A's are tired of being a great regular season team only to lose in the ALDS every year.  I would not be surprised if they landed Price, as I really think they are in all or nothing mode.
After watching them beat the Giants last night I'm becoming a believer. But then, what the Tigers did to the Dodgers, a team I dislike was pretty impressive as well. If I had any, I would bet money that they will meet in the ALCS this time.

Offline metaldams

...and as for my Red Sox - from a 69 win 2012 to winning a championship in 2013 to starting five rookies in a July game in 2014, I say they are the most bi polar team in baseball.  Under the circumstances, I say throw Pawtucket out there every night.  Let's see what the kids have for the remainder of the schedule.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

After being swept 3 games by the Brewers in Philly in April, the Phillies returned the favor by winning all 4 games in Milwaukee.  The Brewers wore four different jerseys and still couldn't get a win.  One would figure that baseball should have the biggest home advantage in sports, what with weather, ballpark dimensions (hitters' or pitchers' parks), and long ago, Astroturf vs. grass.  It just doesn't seem to work that way anymore, with the Phillies and the Dodgers proving that point this season.

Of course, with the Phillies having won 5 straight, it is expected that Ruin Tomorrow Jr. will make even dumber trades than he would have done had they kept losing.  Then again, after that 5-game winning streak last month, the team went 3-13 until this week.

Offline Svengarlic

Lefty, that sweep of the Brewers gave a lift to the entire NL Central. Talk about a free-fall...the Brewers have lost 10 of their last 11 games and now have a precarious one game lead. The Phils look revitalized. Same goes for the Mets. Both are pulling off a great mid-season spoiler show.

I wouldn't mind if the Phils or Nats usurped the Braves. They are a complete waste of a playoff spot.  >:(

On a sobering note, the Brewers received very sad news during last night's game where they had a 6-0 lead on the rampaging Cardinals who ended up winning 7-6.

From Milwaukee's morning paper: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/266875641.html

Offline Svengarlic

Purist's insist that the All Star Game is a joke. And it IS compared to it's former format, popularity and mid-season impact. Only the WS trumped it.

But this winner takes home field thing is good. Very good. I'm an NL guy but I don't like our chances this year. It helps that Tanaka is sidelined, but I'm afraid it won't be enough...thoughts?.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I think that the fact a mid-season exhibition game decides who gets home field in the World Series is the real joke. That being said, I like the AL's chances, especially if King Felix is going to start for the American league squad.

Offline Lefty

Once Chase Utley has his first plate appearance (he's due to bat 7th), I will call it a night at the end of that half-inning.

And the whole idea of basing home (ice) advantage for the World Series on a game that so many players opt out of is ridiculous.  But then, Bud Selig and Fox aren't exactly the brightest bulbs in the closet.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Just heard that Mike Matheny is going with Wainwright over Kershaw to start for the National League. Don't know if I necessarily agree with that move...

Offline Svengarlic

You are probably right, but the difference between the two pitchers is negligible, and Matheny has to face the St. Louis media and go home to face his wife and kids to explain why Kershaw got the pick because of some tiny percentage points. As they both do 3 innings what does it matter which 3?

Of course the home game thing is wrong, but it's the best thing they could come up with to repair the damage of that ASG debacle a few years back and the general irrelevance of the game itself done by the managers that try to get every guy on the roster in the game instead of trying to win.

It used to be a HUGE honor for the players back in the Williams/Musial days, and the game meant a lot. I don't know WHAT it means now, but I still want to see the NL prevail.  ;)

BTW, is Jeter the best SS in the AL?

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Heh, Jeter is hardly the best SS, but this is his farewell tour, so I don't have a problem with him starting. I won't say I like Jete, but I do respect what he's done for the game.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

So, I guess the American League will win the Series again--unless Detroit makes it, then it's anybody's ballgame...   :D