Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Who's the Mystery Actor?

Svengarlic · 361 · 82620

Offline metaldams

OMG...I was thinking between the 20's and the 30's. Of course, this guy must be familiar to us. Hmmm.....is he from Europe?

Yes, he's from Europe.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

Yes, he's from Europe.
OK. He reminds me of that actor that played the bad guy in Die Hard, so would this guy be German? I'm thinking that this guy may have become horror related when he moved to the states. (knowing your interest in the genre)

Am I getting warm?

Offline metaldams

OK. He reminds me of that actor that played the bad guy in Die Hard, so would this guy be German? I'm thinking that this guy may have become horror related when he moved to the states. (knowing your interest in the genre)

Am I getting warm?

German, no.  Horror, yes.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

Offline metaldams

This couldn't possibly be Bela Lugosi, could it?

Yes, it's Bela.  He played Jesus on stage in a passion play in Hungary.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

:o  WOW!  What a shocker.  You chose well, Metaldams.  You also chose a good picture.  The one with Jesus wearing the crown of thorns is much more easily recognizable than the one you picked.

Sven, you laid all the groundwork for my wild guess.  :)

Offline metaldams

:o  WOW!  What a shocker.  You chose well, Metaldams.  You also chose a good picture.  The one with Jesus wearing the crown of thorns is much more easily recognizable than the one you picked.

Sven, you laid all the groundwork for my wild guess.  :)

Oh trust me, the crown of thorns picture, I thought the same thing.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

Bela looks narrower through the shoulders than I would have guessed. 

Offline Svengarlic

Nice one, Signor. I don't think I would have got that one w/o a bunch more clues.  [cry]

Offline hiramhorwitz

My chapter in Stooges Among Us is the narrative portion of my multi-media presentation entitled Searching Out the Stooges.  I've given the presentation several times at the Stoogeum, various educational institutions, historical clubs, and miscellaneous local events.  On November 8th, I'll be giving the presentation at the St. Louis Three Stooges Convention.  As you might guess, the big difference between the narrative in Stooges Among Us and the multi-media presentation is the audio clips, video coverage, and large number of photographs that complement the oral presentation.  I only wish there were an effective way of integrating everything into the hard copy book.   
Update:  I just received word of a family matter that will prevent me from attending the St Louis convention on November 8th.  Obviously, that means I won't be giving my presentation.  As such, if any of you attend the convention, would you please post a summary of the festivities?  Thanks! 

Offline metaldams

Not as hard as Bela Jesus, and easy if you're a fan, but give it a shot.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

Kiss.

I am not a fan.  In fact, I quit listening to pop music before the Kiss era, shall we say. Yet somehow they still look like themselves.

Offline metaldams

Kiss.

I am not a fan.  In fact, I quit listening to pop music before the Kiss era, shall we say. Yet somehow they still look like themselves.

How soon before?  We talking pre rock 'n' roll?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

How soon before?  We talking pre rock 'n' roll?

No, I enjoy rock and roll.  Come to think of it, I don't remember/know when Kiss came on the musical scene.  I was aware of them to an extent, but - - for some reason - - I was under the impression they were like The Monkees, not real.  I was wrong, obviously.

For the record, what really did me in was...disco.  Had to turn off the radio around then.

So, you're a fan, tell me a little Kiss history.

Offline Svengarlic

I would have gotten this one as I recognize the one with the star on his platforms as the guy that looked like a kitty. I guess I'm like the Signor as I couldn't name one Kiss song if my life depended on it. I did, however, know who Gene Simmons was, and liked him for hooking up with one of my fave Playboy Playmates whose name escapes me at the moment.

When he started a reality show I stopped paying attention to him, but can't help catching him on Letterman from time to time.

Edit: Shannon Tweed

Offline metaldams

No, I enjoy rock and roll.  Come to think of it, I don't remember/know when Kiss came on the musical scene.  I was aware of them to an extent, but - - for some reason - - I was under the impression they were like The Monkees, not real.  I was wrong, obviously.

For the record, what really did me in was...disco.  Had to turn off the radio around then.

So, you're a fan, tell me a little Kiss history.

A little history?  Well, first off, the proper terminology is KISSTORY.  ;D

That would be like asking me to sum up The Three Stooges.  You'd need a novel.  Let's just say they've been around for 40 years.  They wear make up, took it off in the mid 80's - mid 90's, have had two consistent main members with revolving lead guitarists and drummers, and they divide rocks fans.  Some people view them strictly as a marketing gimmick with awful music.  While nobody denies the former, the latter is up for debate.  I happen to like their music, I literally have every studio album and their classic live albums on CD, even THE ELDER!  That said, a ton of hard rock and metal bands claim them as an influence.

As for disco, their debut came out in 1974 just when disco was starting, but they're a rock band who had one big disco themed hit in 1979, "I Was Made For Loving You," the same way the Stones and Rod Stewart had their token disco hit.  Ironically, they were on Casablanca Records in the 70's, a rock band on a, wait for it......disco label.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

A little history?  Well, first off, the proper terminology is KISSTORY.  ;D

That would be like asking me to sum up The Three Stooges.  You'd need a novel.  Let's just say they've been around for 40 years.  They wear make up, took it off in the mid 80's - mid 90's, have had two consistent main members with revolving lead guitarists and drummers, and they divide rocks fans.  Some people view them strictly as a marketing gimmick with awful music.  While nobody denies the former, the latter is up for debate.  I happen to like their music, I literally have every studio album and their classic live albums on CD, even THE ELDER!  That said, a ton of hard rock and metal bands claim them as an influence.

As for disco, their debut came out in 1974 just when disco was starting, but they're a rock band who had one big disco themed hit in 1979, "I Was Made For Loving You," the same way the Stones and Rod Stewart had their token disco hit.  Ironically, they were on Casablanca Records in the 70's, a rock band on a, wait for it......disco label.

Thank you for the Kisstory!  I understand there's much more to this, but this puts things into order in a way I didn't know before now.  I knew of someone who was a tremendous Kiss fan, too.  He even had the dolls, or perhaps they're called collector's items.  That was in the late '90s, and I think that was when I had the first inkling that Kiss was a real band.  The person of whom I knew was a big headbanger.  He didn't seem the type to be a fan of a Monkees/Archies group.

You're right about the "token disco hits."  Even Ethel Merman had a disco record, among other unlikely performers.

Offline Areo

Kiss was best in the 70's.  That's when I grew up on them.  I would put on some platform shoes, put on one of my older brother's Kiss albums, and play air guitar.  But when you're a little kid and Kiss is your older brother's favorite band, and you share a bedroom with him, he puts up Kiss posters on the wall.  And, it's hard to get to sleep when you're staring at those damn posters!  Creepy!   
[headbang]

Offline Signor Spumoni

Kiss was best in the 70's.  That's when I grew up on them.  I would put on some platform shoes, put on one of my older brother's Kiss albums, and play air guitar.  But when you're a little kid and Kiss is your older brother's favorite band, and you share a bedroom with him, he puts up Kiss posters on the wall.  And, it's hard to get to sleep when you're staring at those damn posters!  Creepy!   
[headbang]

...and to this day you have a fear of cats?  Or long tongues?  Or Samurai hair?   ;)

Offline Areo

...and to this day you have a fear of cats?  Or long tongues?  Or Samurai hair?   ;)

And Gene STILL creeps me out every time I watch Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park.   >:D

Offline metaldams

And Gene STILL creeps me out every time I watch Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park.   >:D

Ack!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

Is that a full-length feature movie, the kind which was released to cinemas?

Offline Svengarlic

This Baby Boomer made it big on stage, screen and TV.

Offline Areo

Is that a full-length feature movie, the kind which was released to cinemas?

I don't believe it was released in theaters. I think it was strictly a made-for-tv movie.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Sven, I would say it's Butch Patrick, but I know only of his TV work.  So...one of the Corcoran children?

Areo, thank you for the link!