Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2014 MLB Thread

Offline Svengarlic

O's got 'em loaded again! Only one out. Getting good!

Offline metaldams

They're giving Britton an out and he still can't throw a strike.  Wow!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

12 straight balls, can't believe he's still in there.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

I have a sick feeling that this game will go extras. I can't hang.

Offline metaldams

They better get this game over with soon.  They need to realize the Weekly Episode Discussion is as important as the ALCS, and I have to go somewhere early tomorrow morning!  [pie]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

I see that KC got it done. This team must be stopped!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Just goes to show you, when it comes to the NFL or MLB--nobody knows nothing; at least, I don't...

[pie]
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Lefty

Could there be anyone outside of residents or natives of eastern Missouri, northern California, along with the umpires, rooting for the National League to win the World Series?

Offline Svengarlic

Could there be anyone outside of residents or natives of eastern Missouri, northern California, along with the umpires, rooting for the National League to win the World Series?
Of course. Tennessee, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Iowa, most of Illinois and Missouri. KMOX radio's been sending it's powerful signal to these states since the '30s. The Cardinal fan base is the largest in baseball, certainly in terms of area.

Offline Lefty

Of course. Tennessee, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Iowa, most of Illinois and Missouri. KMOX radio's been sending it's powerful signal to these states since the '30s. The Cardinal fan base is the largest in baseball, certainly in terms of area.

In the 1970s when I used to listen to a lot of other NHL teams' games on the radio, with Boston's WBZ and Bob Wilson coming in clearest, KMOX actually came in very well many nights, with Dan Kelly prefacing commercial breaks with "THIS is St. Louis Blues' hockey."

And as for largest fan base, the Yankees would be up there -- for and against -- not enough against.

Offline Svengarlic

KC and O's are tied up again in the 6th, 5-5. Could this be yet another extra inning job? Hasn't KC been in 4 strait now? Whats the record???

Offline Lefty

KC and O's are tied up again in the 6th, 5-5. Could this be yet another extra inning job? Hasn't KC been in 4 strait now? Whats the record???

If it is not the record I would be a bit surprised, but the 1980 NLCS featured 4 straight "overtime" games after the Phillies won 3-1 in the first game:

10/8:   Astros 7, Phillies 4 (10 innings)
10/10: Astros 1, Phillies 0 (11 innings)
10/11: Phillies 5, Astros 3 (10 innings)
10/12: Phillies 8, Astros 7 (10 innings)

Offline Svengarlic

If it is not the record I would be a bit surprised, but the 1980 NLCS featured 4 straight "overtime" games after the Phillies won 3-1 in the first game:

10/8:   Astros 7, Phillies 4 (10 innings)
10/10: Astros 1, Phillies 0 (11 innings)
10/11: Phillies 5, Astros 3 (10 innings)
10/12: Phillies 8, Astros 7 (10 innings)
    Aha! The reason that I didn't remember that is because I hit the road for my first cross country motorcycle trek that week. When I settled down in California I was just in time for the World Series. I was rooting for the Phils to beat the Royals. I felt bad for you guys because of the fucking Gene Mauch gave 'ya in that bizarre '64 season.  ;)

Offline Svengarlic

The Cards are in bad shape right now. The Ace is shot, the closer is shot and Molina is shot, out for the season. The pixie dust bag is leaking like a sieve. The Giants WILL take advantage.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I've learned never to count out the Cards, no matter what the odds say--I am rooting for the Giants, but I wouldn't bet any green on them taking this series...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Svengarlic

I've learned never to count out the Cards, no matter what the odds say--I am rooting for the Giants, but I wouldn't bet any green on them taking this series...
I know what you mean, but the last time they pulled a rabbit out of a hat, in 2011, they had Lance Berkman, Pujols, Molina, a red hot David Freese AND Chris Carpenter at the top of his game. This team is a lesser version of Larry's Whiz Kids. Far less.  [cry]

Offline Lefty

Aha! The reason that I didn't remember that is because I hit the road for my first cross country motorcycle trek that week. When I settled down in California I was just in time for the World Series. I was rooting for the Phils to beat the Royals. I felt bad for you guys because of the fucking Gene Mauch gave 'ya in that bizarre '64 season.  ;)

It is difficult to tell who is despised more overall in Philly -- Gene Mauch or Ruben Amaro Jr.

Speaking of California, ask Angels' fans how they feel about Mauch, who managed to blow the 1982 and 1986 ALCS needing 1 out of 3 wins to clinch it.  Of course, he did not do as bad a job with them as he did in the last 2 weeks of the 1964 season -- because he did not have enough time to use just 2 pitchers.

Offline Svengarlic

It is difficult to tell who is despised more overall in Philly -- Gene Mauch or Ruben Amaro Jr.

Speaking of California, ask Angels' fans how they feel about Mauch, who managed to blow the 1982 and 1986 ALCS needing 1 out of 3 wins to clinch it.  Of course, he did not do as bad a job with them as he did in the last 2 weeks of the 1964 season -- because he did not have enough time to use just 2 pitchers.
That's right! I forgot he was the Angels' skipper too. What's the 411 on Ruben?

Offline metaldams

I did a bad pun in a Curly voice worthy of Curly.

Moe: It's Gregor Blanco up at bat.

Curly:  Well, who is it, Greg, or Blanco?

Moe: Pick out two....

Well, my brother appreciated it, anyway!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The thing that would worry me if I was a Royals fan--if they complete the sweep, how many days off would that give them before the World Series? Everyone thinks the NLCS will go 6 or 7, so KC might be sitting around for awhile and we've seen how that can affect teams in the past.

I always think back to those 2007 Rockies--who, if I remember right--had to wait over a week before the Series with Boston and we know what happened. And, of course, the Tigers in their 2 trips to the series.

Offline Svengarlic

In the 1970s when I used to listen to a lot of other NHL teams' games on the radio, with Boston's WBZ and Bob Wilson coming in clearest, KMOX actually came in very well many nights, with Dan Kelly prefacing commercial breaks with "THIS is St. Louis Blues' hockey."

Offline Lefty

That's right! I forgot he was the Angels' skipper too. What's the 411 on Ruben?

The 411?  He turned the Phillies into wanting to call 911!

Trust me -- you check out any article on philly.com about "Ruin Tomorrow Jr." and you will see that 99.9999% of Phillies' fans revile Ruben and abhor Amaro, who turned the Phillies upside down in the standings with monumental mistakes, enormous errors, and behemothic blunders -- all with the blessing of Dave ".300 Monty" Montgomery, President, who will not fire him because of his friendship with Ruben Amaro Sr.

Offline Svengarlic

Now that you mention it Larry, I do recall hearing "Ruin Tomorrow Jr." BTW...behemothic blunders is one fine phrase!   :)

Yikes! As I type the O's are blowing it in the freaking first inning! :o These KC's are gonna set some king of record for consecutive wins in a post-season. (they gotta be close)

Edit: The Royals of Kansas City, MO are 3 outs away from a World Series!  :o

Offline metaldams

Every AL Series is a sweep!

Congrats to the Royals!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Congrats to the Royals--now I hope their momentum doesn't get shot as they wait around for the NLCS to finish...