Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2014 MLB Thread

Offline Svengarlic

Congrats to the Royals--now I hope their momentum doesn't get shot as they wait around for the NLCS to finish...
Cards have their backs to the wall. If they don't win tonite, Bumgarner will beat Wainwright's dog ass like he stole something tomorrow and it's ALL over.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I think it's going to be a short World Series--Giants in 5...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Svengarlic

I think it's going to be a short World Series--Giants in 5...
I don't think so. KC has a pen. I look for an epic 7 game job. On the other hand, it would be cool if the Royasl ran the table.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Oh, don't get me wrong--I would like to see a 7 game classic; I'm not pulling for either team, but the Giants have the World Series pedigree and Bochy is maybe the best manager in the game come this time of year. And having said all that, the Royals probably will sweep...   :D
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Svengarlic

Oh, don't get me wrong--I would like to see a 7 game classic; I'm not pulling for either team, but the Giants have the World Series pedigree and Bochy is maybe the best manager in the game come this time of year. And having said all that, the Royals probably will sweep...   :D
Well, Diesel, I'm going to root for KC if they win the first game. When they lose a game I'll switch to the NL team. Umm....can I do that?  :o

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I know this may sound screwy--but is it possible that Bruce Bochy is still one of the more underrated managers in the big leagues? Or maybe the Giants are just underrated, period...

Offline Svengarlic

I know this may sound screwy--but is it possible that Bruce Bochy is still one of the more underrated managers in the big leagues? Or maybe the Giants are just underrated, period...
He WAS underrated, but he's getting his props now. What I find puzzling is that neither KC or SF displayed this degree of excellence during the regular season. I think it's the 1st time that two sub 90 win teams are in the WS.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I think baseball more than any other sport is proof that the playoffs are a complete crapshoot. Just get into the tournament and you have a puncher's chance....

Offline Svengarlic

I think baseball more than any other sport is proof that the playoffs are a complete crapshoot. Just get into the tournament and you have a puncher's chance....
Exactly. I have an idea to improve the playoff system. It's flawed right now, making it too easy for a WC team to win it all, and stretching into November. Of course, I think every fan has that idea of a "better way".

Offline Shemp_Diesel

And not to beat this point to death--but if my math is right, the Royals will have 6 days off before the start of the series. Hmmm....   ::)

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
And not to beat this point to death--but if my math is right, the Royals will have 6 days off before the start of the series. Hmmm....   ::)

And the Giants will have 5 days off before the start of the series  [pie]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Svengarlic

And the Giants will have 5 days off before the start of the series  [pie]
LOL...that's a big touche'!  ;D

Offline Lefty

Maybe in the last few years, but overall, hockey is the sport where the top teams rarely take home the championship.  Basketball on the other hand, why even bother -- just put all 30 teams together, we know who will win.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
My World Series/playoff picks went to hell in a handbasket.

I think baseball, more-so than football, baseball, and basketball, require a team to win it all.  Look at the Miami Heat: throw 3 superstars together and even though there was 0 teamwork they went to four straight NBA Finals (although I still say it's BS that LeBron got either MVP).  Same thing won the 2008 Finals for the Celtics.  Stress management comes in handy, and in baseball the teams already play multi-game series all season long, unlike the other three.  The Royals and Giants have the best teamwork, and that's why they're facing each other in the World Series.

Off topic, but I still think it's BS that Eli Manning won either of those Super Bowl MVPs.  Both times he put up sucky play except for two or three lucky "big" plays that only succeeded because his receivers were that darned good, and the defense bailed him out of chokes both times.  The MVP's should have been Osi Umeniyora and Justin Tuck in 2008 and 2012.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I have a feeling this will be a quick series whichever way it goes--but I like the G-Men in 5. And why the heck didn't Posey slide. He would have been dead meat either way--but I thought he would try something to get around the catcher....

Offline Svengarlic

I have a feeling this will be a quick series whichever way it goes--but I like the G-Men in 5. And why the heck didn't Posey slide. He would have been dead meat either way--but I thought he would try something to get around the catcher....
My, my. Hunter Pence is a fucking monster, crazy eyes and all!

Funny thing is, after not having home field for the entire playoffs, KC could finally lose when they got it. Oh, the irony. But of course, it's too early to prognosticate.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I was just thinking how nice it would be if we could get the World Series to be alternated between networks the same as the Super Bowl. I'm not a Joe Buck hater, but it would be nice to hear a different voice--an Al Michaels comes to mind--calling the Fall Classic....

Offline Svengarlic

I was just thinking how nice it would be if we could get the World Series to be alternated between networks the same as the Super Bowl. I'm not a Joe Buck hater, but it would be nice to hear a different voice--an Al Michaels comes to mind--calling the Fall Classic....
I feel 'ya, Deez....Al is good, but he's not really a baseball man.

Offline Lefty

Whenever Joe "Fill in the Blank That Rhymes with Buck" is on, I mute the sound and let the closed-captioning do the deed, just like last night when I watched just the top of the 1st inning.

Offline Svengarlic

Whenever Joe "Fill in the Blank That Rhymes with Buck" is on, I mute the sound and let the closed-captioning do the deed, just like last night when I watched just the top of the 1st inning.
Most of America agee's with you on Jack's Buck. He doesn't bother me. The TV voice I least want to hear is Scully. I've had to listen to that nasal, sing-song voice my entire life. Vin does have one thing going for him though: he knows when to shut up at the right times. NOBODY else knows when to STFU.

Offline metaldams

Good game 3 going on right now.

Yes, very good!  Hell of a play by Perez there!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Wade Davis is nasty tonight.  I remember him as a starter for Tampa Bay, and he had his good moments.  However, some of these guys make a better one inning guy.  Andrew Miller is another good example of a starter turning into a more successful reliever.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Hell yes, great game, great result!
- Doug Sarnecky