Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Farrellys Talk About Their Stooges Movie..

Offline ILMM

First official photo:  http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/first-look-sasso-hayes-diamantopoulos-as-the-three-stooges/
The other two don't look too bad, But Sean Hayes looks really weird as Larry.
"That must be Nick Barker.... he's disguised as a black banana."-Shemp

Offline metaldams

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Sasso looks like Sasso, the guy who plays Moe looks like Rich Little dressed up as Moe and the guy who plays Larry looks somewhat like post-stroke Larry with makeup on.`

Jane Lynch in the supporting cast? Yet another reason not to contribute one penny to this catastrophy. Fuck you, Farrelly Bros.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
This is ridiculous. How long are they going to be discussing this movie? It's been going on for too long now that most of us stooge fans could care less about it. And to be honest, I do not see how this movie is going to be a success. Look at the remakes that were done for "Bewitched" and "The Honeymooners." They were a disgrace. These remakes are a terrible idea, in my opinion.

I GOT IT!! ...

Think of the last several years talking and griping and hand wringing and Farrelly's yapping and finally the casting mournings as the Gemini and Mercury precursors to the Apollo Missions ...
(wait ..) the Apollo Missions had a goal, landing a man on the Moon before the end of the 60's decade.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Hammond Eggar

Is it just me, or does Sasso look more like Curly-Joe DeRita than Curly Howard in that photo? 

Actually, the casting could be worse.  Check this out.

&feature=related
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline ILMM

"That must be Nick Barker.... he's disguised as a black banana."-Shemp

Offline vomit

The trailer has been released: http://screenrant.com/three-stooges-trailer-sandy-142635/ .

Hmmm...not as bad as I presumed.  Still wondering whether I will go or not.....what do you all think?
Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

Still wondering whether I will go or not.....what do you all think?

I say you'll go.

Man, gotta watch that trailer tonight.  The words "morbid" and "curious" sound as good together right now as peanut butter and jelly.

So, to those of you who have seen the trailer, how does it compare to say.........FOR THE LOVE OF MUMMY?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
That looks fucking terrible. The Farrelly's are Yankee fans and NOT from the New England region. Consider them disowned.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

That looks fucking terrible. The Farrelly's are Yankee fans and NOT from the New England region. Consider them disowned.

I can see you temper has reached a fever pitch.   [pie] 

Don't worry folks, I'll be here all day.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline ProfessorStooge

Got to see the trailer earlier today. Honestly, it doesn't look too bad. It's got all the great sound effects, and some of the classic gags. Chris Diamantopoulos's Moe voice sounds close to accurate. Will Sasso nailed Curly's mannerisms. Sean Hayes as Larry looks average.

Offline Larrington

I just watched the trailer.   
And I thought it was pretty good...so sue me!   [pie]
Seems like most folks here decided long ago that they hate this film...and decided that they decided long before a single frame of film was shot  (kinda reminds me of the ridiculous brouhaha over THE PASSION OF CHRIST)

Well I've been a Stooges fan for 50 years and it looks to me that the Farrelly Bros. may have actually pulled off the impossible.  Whether the longtime fans like it or not is irrelevant.  This will introduce the characters to a new audience (which is what the creative team probably had in mind anyway). And if it revives interest in the originals, that's not a bad thing at all.

I guess it remains to be seen if the finished can sustain what the trailer managed to capture.  I, for one, hope it does.  And even though it does seem like a longshot, I hope it's a hit.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I just watched the trailer.   
And I thought it was pretty good...so sue me!   [pie]
Seems like most folks here decided long ago that they hate this film...and decided that they decided long before a single frame of film was shot  (kinda reminds me of the ridiculous brouhaha over THE PASSION OF CHRIST)

Well I've been a Stooges fan for 50 years and it looks to me that the Farrelly Bros. may have actually pulled off the impossible.  Whether the longtime fans like it or not is irrelevant.  This will introduce the characters to a new audience (which is what the creative team probably had in mind anyway). And if it revives interest in the originals, that's not a bad thing at all.

I guess it remains to be seen if the finished can sustain what the trailer managed to capture.  I, for one, hope it does.  And even though it does seem like a longshot, I hope it's a hit.

So this Three Stooges film is comparable to Passion of the Christ? Well I do remember remember when Moe said in an interview that the Stooges were more popular than Jesus.

Offline locoboymakesgood

God forgive me for saying this but I actually laughed at the trailer. That's not to say this will be any good but those guys can do some pretty good impersonations. I'm more impressed by that.

Can someone explain how Fox/MGM is putting this movie out though? How is it not Sony?
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline metaldams

OK, better than I was expecting, but something tells me this will be the kind of thing I watch once and never want to watch again, or maybe just watch once every ten years, you know, to "remind myself."

I'll give props to Snooky getting eye gouged, just because it's well, Snooky getting eye gouged.  It was really hard to get a feel for the timing because this is a fast paced trailer, but the eye poke/slap scene they showed seemed to be done well.  The Larry singing in falsetto when a lobster was gnawing his nuts was a bit overblown and the whole "i-phone/eye phone" thing was bad.  Yes, Stooge films have plenty of groaners like that, but they're usually delivered with charm, this just felt forced. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

...gotta say, after three viewings, it's not holding up well.  the first viewing had some novelty and fascination, but now, not so much.  I'll see the movie, the question is in what manner?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I might go see this if for nothing besides morbid curiosity. But I'm expecting trash.

Offline Myren

Well the trail is out...

:(
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:22:44 AM by BeAStooge »

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Based on the trailer, I can see fun in the movie...
 -  I hope to have fun seeing it bomb next April
 -  I hope to have fun watching the DVDs collecting dust in Wal-Mart bargain bins later in 2012

The Three Stooges ARE Moe, Larry, Shemp, Curly, and yes, even Joe B. and Joe D.  All I see in this trailer are the Farrellys capitalizing on the physical punishment angles, particularly an abundance of eyepoking, and [naturally] none of originals' interactive chemistry which is what really defined the comedy team.  The Farrelly/Cerone script does not have the class of an Elwood Ullman, Felix Adler, Ed Bernds, Charley Chase, Clyde Bruckman, et al, attached to it.  The Farrellys are borrowing an already proven commodity, and a lifetime of others' hard work, in their attempt for something they haven't had in years... a hit... and, this will not be it.  This is nothing more than a Farrelly vanity project.  In my opinion, C3 senior management has betrayed the obligation it has to its corporate asset.

Regenerate interest?  The originals have generated perpetual, growing interest over the past 50+ years, and this movie is unnecessary to that.  The 8 volumes of DVDs released by Sony from 2007 – 2010 far exceeded sales estimates... originally planned as a series from Sony's classic film home video division, the volume of pre-orders on the first volume had the DVDs reassigned to Sony's mass-market division whose retail distribution channels were better equipped to handle the volume.  Since the late 1990s, the boys' films have been a continued presence on national cable TV, and for all of 2011 have been shown on THREE national TV outlets, AntennaTV, AMC and IFC.  This movie is not responsible for any of that.

Over the past 40 years, a lot of progress was made in elevating the Stooges' reputation in film history, thanks to historians and fans like Leonard Maltin, Ted Okuda, Ed Watz, the Lenburgs, Gary Lassin, etc., and particularly family like Joan Howard Maurer.  The Stooges may not be everybody's cup of tea, but time has earned them a deserved critical reputation that stands alongside their popular reputation.  The trailer demonstrates what was long suspected... overdone, gratuitous physical gags for cheap laughs, poorly done by impersonators with no chemistry.  Some of the general populace will now perceive the Three Stooges as this movie.  Any new fans reached will be more than offset by negatives.  So much for progress.

I will not support this 2012 abomination, and I will continue to strongly advise family, friends and whoever not to waste their time and money.

What I will continue to do is support Sony's marketing of the Columbia films, and look forward to new releases, whether retail, MOD channels, new tech formats, what-have-you.  I will continue to support Warner Archive's recent releases, and their future plans for Shemp's Vitaphone shorts and additional features with Healy appearances.  I hope that Universal's rumored MOD program expansion is true and products with the Stooges (MYRT & MARGE) and more features with Shemp in supporting roles are in the future.

On a related note, maybe Justin Bieber and the Jonas Brothers can form a quartet and tour as The Beatles.  Hey, if it generates interest in the originals, it must be good, right?

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yeah, what he said!

I can't really add to that because it is was so eloquently and passionately stated (as is the norm with Brent) except to say I fully expect a C3/Farrelly plant to post about how Moe died for the sins of the Farrellys so that they may make this film and they along with Curly-Joe's step children can turn a profit. I'm not going to spend my good money to watch the unfunny Will Sasso do a Curly impression or the other unfunny actors do their unfunny impressions.

This film does have something in common with Passion: they are both terrible (don't even have to see it, it sucks already). Let's hope that unlike Passion this one doesn't make an assload of cash.

Offline Larrington

Based on the trailer, I can see fun in the movie...
 -  I hope to have fun seeing it bomb next April
 -  I hope to have fun watching the DVDs collecting dust in Wal-Mart bargain bins later in 2012etc., etc., etc....
...I will not support this 2012 abomination, and I will continue to strongly advise family, friends and whoever not to waste their time and money...etc., etc., etc

But how do your really feel about it? >:D
Besides...the original shorts with the original cast(s) are all still out there to enjoy, so what's the big deal?  
Comedy is serious business.    But some of y'all seem to be taking it a bit too seriously  ???

Offline Myren

Aside from what has been said, what gets me is that "Curly" is so much taller then "Moe" & "Larry". It just seems so off. And the movements seem so planned and unnatural. Where the Real stooges poke to the eyes just seemed to happen and was not forced. Maybe I am off with that...

Offline Larrington

Aside from what has been said, what gets me is that "Curly" is so much taller then "Moe" & "Larry". It just seems so off. And the movements seem so planned and unnatural. Where the Real stooges poke to the eyes just seemed to happen and was not forced. Maybe I am off with that...

LOL.  I did notice that. 
"Curly" is so much bigger than "Moe" in the film, that all he'd really have to do would be to sit on him.

It brings to mind the SNL sketch from 10 or so years ago with The Four Stooges and "Ribeye", the fourth stooge, beating the shit out of Moe instead of taking his abuse.  LOL.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

That just shows how talented the Stooges were and the chemistry that they had as a performance group. Naturally the Stooges are not just going about life poking each other in the eyes; but they had the ability to make you believe that they did. These guys are just lowly impersonators.

Offline metaldams

Over the past 40 years, a lot of progress was made in elevating the Stooges' reputation in film history, thanks to historians and fans like Leonard Maltin, Ted Okuda, Ed Watz, the Lenburgs, Gary Lassin, etc., and particularly family like Joan Howard Maurer.  The Stooges may not be everybody's cup of tea, but time has earned them a deserved critical reputation that stands alongside their popular reputation.  The trailer demonstrates what was long suspected... overdone, gratuitous physical gags for cheap laughs, poorly done by impersonators with no chemistry.  Some of the general populace will now perceive the Three Stooges as this movie.  Any new fans reached will be more than offset by negatives.  So much for progress.

Brent, this film will be a footnote when the smoke clears.  Anybody at this point in time who is open-minded enough to critically examine a comedy team who died before they were born is probably smart enough to realize the difference between Will Sasso and Curly Howard.  The general populace could care less about critically examining old comedy teams.
- Doug Sarnecky