Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Farrellys Talk About Their Stooges Movie..

Offline Larrington

Brent, this film will be a footnote when the smoke clears.  Anybody at this point in time who is open-minded enough to critically examine a comedy team who died before they were born is probably smart enough to realize the difference between Will Sasso and Curly Howard.  The general populace could care less about critically examining old comedy teams.

Exactly.  I couldn't have said it better even if I were smart.
Bravo.

Offline ThunderStooge

Just watched the trailer.  I hate to say it, but I actually chuckled a couple times.  I thought "Moe's" voice was fairly accurate. And Sasso, apart from being so much taller than Chris and Sean, didn't seem too bad as Curly.  It's a bit better than what I expected, but I'm still skeptical on the movie.  The slapstick feels forced sometimes.
"Wake up and Go ta sleep!"

Offline Larry Larry

The trailer is here: 

As of right now, the thumbs downs votes are equal to the thumbs ups.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline Bum

This movie is going to force me to stop using an analogy I've been employing for years: As I've mentioned here before, I'm also a fan of the vintage Warner Brothers cartoons, a film series which, in an amazing coincidence, started in 1930 and ended in 1969! For thirty years now, I've watched Warner struggle to recapture the magic of those films in their numerous attempts to revive the classic characters in TV shows, commercials, theatrical movies, and even theatrical shorts [their original format]. It NEVER ONCE has come close to working, and when people would ask me why I thought these new cartoons weren't as good as the old ones, this is what I would answer:

"Because those films were made decades ago by a particular group of people, most of whom are dead now. Because they're dead, the magic can NEVER EVER be recreated. You can gather together the finest animators, directors, and writers in the world today, and find someone who can precisely duplicate Mel Blanc's voices and Carl Stalling's musical scores, and you will STILL never produce a cartoon that captures the spirit of the originals. It's physically impossible. To attempt to do so would be as pointless as SOMEONE GATHERING TOGETHER THREE GUYS WHO LOOK AND SOUND LIKE MOE LARRY AND CURLY AND ATTEMPTING TO MAKE A NEW THREE STOOGES MOVIE".

And now I can no longer make that statement because someone was stupid enough to go and do it......

Offline Stooges#1

Some people deserve to have their Internet privileges revoked. I'm all for the whole free speech thing, but this is just ridiculous. It's from an Amazon.com discussion topic.

"I was not hankering for a Three Stooges movie. But I think if you had to do it, the Farrelly Brothers are the guys you'd want to do it. The preview indicates that at the very least, they found three actors who flawlessly embody Moe, Larry and Curly. And you know, maybe it'll be good silly fun. Or at least silly. I'm trying to keep an open mind."

Oh wow, that couldn't be further from the truth. The Farrelly brothers are way below average and those three actors don't resemble or sound like the Originals in the slightest.

Then again the next comment following that was:

"the ad and movie is what the old 3 stooges always were about---dumb comedy for kids."

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
I watched it and I thought it was pretty funny.  I laughed out loud a few times.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline metaldams

My brother saw the trailer, and I predicted what his first response would be, and I was right.  He said, "That nun was ridiculously hot."  Brothers know each other.

He liked the trailer, but then again, he's a more casual fan. 

If anybody wants to see Will Sasso at his absolute career peak........

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Faeriegirl

• Shemp's Darling Dilly
  • Grapehead
  • Dreaming of Shemp
    • I Surf for the Freedom!!
Oh my gosh, based on the reactions from my nephews when we saw the trailer before The Muppets, They all want to see it, it cracked us up. Personally I think the part, at leastpersonality wise, is spot on for Moe and Curly, Larry needs work, but otherwise I cannpt see the differeance. I think I will wait until it is on DVD to rent it, possibly buy it.

The "AyePhone" scene My gosh, That had us ALL laughing like crazy

"What's this ?"
"Its an iPhone"
"*Curly looks into it* Hello.... HELLO!!... *gives it back* Nobody there"

Just Curly acting right there, It is something I'd easily see him doing
Shemp: Moe! Larry! Wait for me!! *hits himself with shovel*
~ Who Done It?

Offline Signor Spumoni

Perhaps one standard for this movie's quality might be:  is it worse than the two full-length real Three Stooges' movies?
I saw the trailer last night.  It had some chuckles, especially (for me) at the end when Moe gave that eye-poke "gift" to what's-her-name.   
I see many true fans are saying the same thing I thought, that they might watch this movie so long as they don't have to pay for it.   Wouldn't the producers, et al, just faint if they knew how widespread that idea is?

Offline Larrington

...I see many true fans are saying the same thing I thought, that they might watch this movie so long as they don't have to pay for it.   Wouldn't the producers, et al, just faint if they knew how widespread that idea is?

I think it's a pretty safe bet that the producers, the directors, and the folks at Fox are all well aware of the chatter on the interwebs with regard to the film.  You can be certain that they're reading every word of it.

Looks to me like the comments and reactions overall are split about 50/50 pro vs. con.

I'll restate that in my opinion (as a 50+ year Stooges fan) that the trailer looks pretty good to me and that the creative team has probably come as close as anyone ever will to evoking the original characters.  That won't be good enough for hard core fans who can't be objective and will reject the effort out of hand no matter what.  But it really remains to be seen whether this kind of humor will fly with the rest of the moviegoing public.

This was a risky project from the start (and that's likely one of the reasons it took so long to get funded and remained in 'development hell'). 
It remains to be seen how it does when April 2012 finally rolls around.  It's probably safe to say we're not talking blockbuster here, but it will still be interesting to see how it all plays out.   I'm not ready to dismiss it as a failure just yet.

I understand the feelings of other hardcore fans (other than myself)  and the cries of "sacrilege!"...but to be honest, part of me secretly hopes that the naysayers are proved wrong.
The Farelly's are hardcore fans themselves, and it's not as if no effort went into trying to 'get it right'.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I think it's a pretty safe bet that the producers, the directors, and the folks at Fox are all well aware of the chatter on the interwebs with regard to the film.  You can be certain that they're reading every word of it.

Looks to me like the comments and reactions overall are split about 50/50 pro vs. con.

I'll restate that in my opinion (as a 50+ year Stooges fan) that the trailer looks pretty good to me and that the creative team has probably come as close as anyone ever will to evoking the original characters.  That won't be good enough for hard core fans who can't be objective and will reject the effort out of hand no matter what.  But it really remains to be seen whether this kind of humor will fly with the rest of the moviegoing public.

This was a risky project from the start (and that's likely one of the reasons it took so long to get funded and remained in 'development hell'). 
It remains to be seen how it does when April 2012 finally rolls around.  It's probably safe to say we're not talking blockbuster here, but it will still be interesting to see how it all plays out.   I'm not ready to dismiss it as a failure just yet.

I understand the feelings of other hardcore fans (other than myself)  and the cries of "sacrilege!"...but to be honest, part of me secretly hopes that the naysayers are proved wrong.
The Farelly's are hardcore fans themselves, and it's not as if no effort went into trying to 'get it right'.

Blah blah, you can talk about folks like me "rejecting it out hand" all you want; from the looks of things you already "like it out of hand".

The Farrelly's are fucking joke. They are supposedly big Red Sox fans too and look what they did with Fever Pitch.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Larrington

Blah blah, you can talk about folks like me "rejecting it out hand" all you want; from the looks of things you already "like it out of hand".

Fine. ;D   So,  blah blah right back at ya. [pie]
I said I liked the trailer. 
I'm hoping I like the movie. 
But I won't know about that until April.
(Like, after I've actually  seen it. )

So...whatever.  I get what this is about...you don't like the Farellys. 
You made your point.  I've made mine.
Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

Besides...it's only a movie...    ::)

Offline locoboymakesgood

The Farrelly's are fucking joke. They are supposedly big Red Sox fans too and look what they did with Fever Pitch.
Was that a Farrelly movie? Fever Pitch was terrible but then again so is Jimmy Fallon.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline metaldams

For the record, I believe the Hitler genre has one masterpiece, and this ain't it, but in case anyone's interested, here's Hitler's Stooge trailer reaction.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larrington

For the record, I believe the Hitler genre has one masterpiece, and this ain't it, but in case anyone's interested, here's Hitler's Stooge trailer reaction.

Now that's pretty funny.
 I can certainly relate to the Snooki hate. 

Offline stooge1029

I used to love the Farrelly movies...back in the 90s they made some of the best comedies of the decade...but then i saw Stuck on You and Say it isnt so and Heartbreak kid and the endless line of crap they have produced in the last decade or so and now someone is saying on here that they were connected to that god-awful Fever Pitch? Oh god!! I couldnt think of a worse team to direct the new Stooges. Red Sox suck...Patriots suck....Go Jays Go Bills! Fuck the Farrelllys and their New England based comedies. It will be a miracle if this movie gets anything above one * in my book.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Fine. ;D   So,  blah blah right back at ya. [pie]
I said I liked the trailer. 
I'm hoping I like the movie. 
But I won't know about that until April.
(Like, after I've actually  seen it. )

So...whatever.  I get what this is about...you don't like the Farellys. 
You made your point.  I've made mine.
Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

Besides...it's only a movie...    ::)

You gotta love the Internets. It's the only place where a grown man who is at least in his 50's can "roll his eyes condescendingly" without being pimp slapped.

So you don't like that I disregarded your opinion in the same way you disregard my opinion and that of other "hardcore" fans by stating that we will "reject it out of hand". It's not the movie itself that I reject, the movie hasn't been released. What has been released is the movie's concept and I think that concept blows. The trailer did nothing to change my mind; if I want to watch a bunch of impersonators I can go to the Convention. Perhaps I will be surprised and amazed by this movie. I highly doubt it, but it could very well happen. If that were to happen I would come right on here and say "you know what? I was wrong, the Farrelly Stooges movie is actually very funny and great tribute to the originals", contrary to your beliefs that I am "rejecting it out of hand". The question is, would you do the same? Would you be able to say "I was wrong, the movie is terrible" if that ends up being the case?

Now my statement that you "like the movie out of hand" is not just to counter your opposing statement. That is what I took from your posts; especially the part about how you hope it succeeds and is good just to "prove the naysayers wrong". The "hardcore fans" seem to annoy you and you would feel that the movie being good or successful would be a victory against the "hardcores". I truly believe, based on your 8 posts (which have all been in relation to the movie) that you will like this movie no matter what.

As for the Farrellys and how you "get it" that I don't like them...I don't care if you "get it" or not. If I want to I will end each and every one of my posts with "the Farrelly Brothers suck".
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I used to love the Farrelly movies...back in the 90s they made some of the best comedies of the decade...but then i saw Stuck on You and Say it isnt so and Heartbreak kid and the endless line of crap they have produced in the last decade or so and now someone is saying on here that they were connected to that god-awful Fever Pitch? Oh god!! I couldnt think of a worse team to direct the new Stooges. Red Sox suck...Patriots suck....Go Jays Go Bills! Fuck the Farrelllys and their New England based comedies. It will be a miracle if this movie gets anything above one * in my book.

Yes, the Farrelly's directed Fever Pitch. It is funny though how you speak of the Red Sox and Patriots sucking when the Blue Jays haven't been any good since Joe Carter and the Bills haven't been any good since Doug Flutie.

Offline Larrington

...The question is, would you do the same? Would you be able to say "I was wrong, the movie is terrible" if that ends up being the case?

Of course I would.
That was my whole point.
And I'll make that judgement, thumbs up or thumbs down,  when I see the movie.

Why is it such a big deal anyway??
 [pie]

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Of course I would.
That was my whole point.
And I'll make that judgement, thumbs up or thumbs down,  when I see the movie.

Why is it such a big deal anyway??
 [pie]

OK, can we please stop with the pie throwing emote?

I can ask you the same question: why is it such a big deal to you?

Offline Larrington

OK, can we please stop with the pie throwing emote?
I can ask you the same question: why is it such a big deal to you?

Sorry...I liked the pie-con. I just thought it would help keep things in the proper spirit (that basically, none of this really maters at all in the big cosmic picture).  So here's a towel, with my apologies... ;D   I can be opinionated, as much as anyone, but it certainly was never my intention to be dismissive. 

Actually, it's really not that big a deal to me.  I only started out by offering an opinion, like everyone here (and maybe playing 'devil's advocate' on some level).   
But you know what?  None of the opinions--pro or con-- are wrong  because it all boils down to personal taste, artistic perception, and clearly a dedication to the memory of the Stooges themselves (dedication from both those for the movie and against it).

Frankly, I'm as shocked as you that this film ever got made.  But I'm not really outraged about it because whether it winds up being good or bad, it will certainly disappear rather quickly and public attention for the Stooges (waning though it is) will return to the classic shorts.

I think what we all have in common here (at least I hope) is an affection for the Stooges. I know I do.   (I've been in show-bizzzz all of my adult life and the Stooges are at least a part of what influenced me to pursue that muddy and slippery path).

Can't we just agree to disagree on the rest?
Life's too short, bro...

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Sorry...I liked the pie-con. I just thought it would help keep things in the proper spirit (that basically, none of this really maters at all in the big cosmic picture).  So here's a towel, with my apologies... ;D   I can be opinionated, as much as anyone, but it certainly was never my intention to be dismissive. 

Actually, it's really not that big a deal to me.  I only started out by offering an opinion, like everyone here (and maybe playing 'devil's advocate' on some level).   
But you know what?  None of the opinions--pro or con-- are wrong  because it all boils down to personal taste, artistic perception, and clearly a dedication to the memory of the Stooges themselves (dedication from both those for the movie and against it).

Frankly, I'm as shocked as you that this film ever got made.  But I'm not really outraged about it because whether it winds up being good or bad, it will certainly disappear rather quickly and public attention for the Stooges (waning though it is) will return to the classic shorts.

I think what we all have in common here (at least I hope) is an affection for the Stooges. I know I do.   (I've been in show-bizzzz all of my adult life and the Stooges are at least a part of what influenced me to pursue that muddy and slippery path).

Can't we just agree to disagree on the rest?
Life's too short, bro...

Well Devil's Advocate I can certainly understand. More likely than not you are right; good or bad this movie will most likely become quickly forgotten in the annals of Stoogedom. Let me present a hypothetical situation though:

This movie comes out and it does well: a couple hundred million box office. This turns on a whole new generation to the Three Stooges and they actively seek out the originals. Something goes awry and they become disappointed. When they watch the shorts they find them to be too "old". Maybe it's the black and white, maybe it's the dated references...perhaps a combination of the two and other factors. When these kids grow up and wax nostalgic about the film they say something like "Will Sasso will always be Curly to me".

It may seem far fetched, but it is entirely plausible in this day and age. Shit, I know folks who are not children who won't give the Stooges a chance because they are in Black and White. This is one reason why I am so adamantly against the making of this movie (along with the Farrelly's poor track record, people like the Jersey Shore cast and Jane Lynch getting more work, etc).

Offline Curly4444

What has been released is the movie's concept and I think that concept blows.

What concept wouldn't blow? Is there a way to make a good three stooges movie? Could there be any actors capable of playing the roles right?

Just dont say none, no, no. Explain.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
What concept wouldn't blow? Is there a way to make a good three stooges movie? Could there be any actors capable of playing the roles right?

Just dont say none, no, no. Explain.

In the same vein as this movie? None, no and no. :p

To elaborate further, I believe the Three Stooges were a product of the time. That time was a long time, spanning two decades: but even as they were still alive and in their old age still running about they got stale. The Stooges' time has long since passed, the men who made those roles iconic have passed and their is no way anyone else can just assume those roles without looking like pale imitations at best. If I were an actor of any name value or stroke I would not take the job, which is why you see lesser talents like Will Sasso taking the role. I'm pretty sure there was a lot more to Jim Carrey rejecting the Curly role than "health concerns" over gaining weight.

What could work in my opinion is a legit biopic. I'm not talking about that Mel Gibson produced shitstain that made Derita look like a messiah, Shemp look like he was afraid of oxygen and Joe Besser look like he had left the Royal Shakespeare Company to join the Stooges. Maybe you focus on one of the Stooges, like Moe was there until the bitter end, and give them the biographical treatment they so richly deserve. One thing you don't do is try to recreate the shorts with new actors like they did in the Gibson film. I think an honest, beyond the camera portrayal of the men who were the Three Stooges would be much better than a bunch of hacks doing impersonations and poking Snooki in the eyes.

Offline Curly4444

What could work in my opinion is a legit biopic. I'm not talking about that Mel Gibson produced shitstain that made Derita look like a messiah, Shemp look like he was afraid of oxygen and Joe Besser look like he had left the Royal Shakespeare Company to join the Stooges. Maybe you focus on one of the Stooges, like Moe was there until the bitter end, and give them the biographical treatment they so richly deserve. One thing you don't do is try to recreate the shorts with new actors like they did in the Gibson film. I think an honest, beyond the camera portrayal of the men who were the Three Stooges would be much better than a bunch of hacks doing impersonations and poking Snooki in the eyes.

Do you mean a movie where it opened with the stooges births, and then followed them around. Showing the stuff that happened in their lives?