Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Farrellys Talk About Their Stooges Movie..

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Do you mean a movie where it opened with the stooges births, and then followed them around. Showing the stuff that happened in their lives?

That's the definition of a biopic, yes. Something that was honest, but allowing for "Hollywood leeway". Not like the Gibson film at all, and naturally the Benjamin Bros. would have to be left out of all creative processes.

I always thought F. Murray Abraham would have made a good Shemp.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

This movie comes out and it does well: a couple hundred million box office. This turns on a whole new generation to the Three Stooges and they actively seek out the originals. Something goes awry and they become disappointed. When they watch the shorts they find them to be too "old". Maybe it's the black and white, maybe it's the dated references...perhaps a combination of the two and other factors. When these kids grow up and wax nostalgic about the film they say something like "Will Sasso will always be Curly to me".

"Will Sasso will always be Curly to me."  Now there's a signature waiting to happen.

This scenario won't happen on a mass basis Jim, but if it does, it's a good barometer on where our culture stands.  I'm a cynic, and even I have more faith in humanity than that.  I'm so confident this film won't usurp the long term reputation of the originals, both culturally and critically, that if it does, why, I'll reinstate ISLIPP, that's what I'll do I reckon.

..and by the way, I agree with you on the biopic idea.  Something like CHAPLIN with Robert Downey, Jr.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline horwitz-halfwits

• Team Howard
  • Grapehead
  • Stooge it to the man!
I just got my Three Stooges fan club membership on the official site through the mail today! I was so excited when I opened it and looked at all the neato stuff inside! I printed out my free movie ticket as well, but I'm only going for the experience, to see if this new movie lives up to the stooges' reputation. My lil bro wants to go w/ me to see it. He just informed me. Haha what should I do?  ;) I feel so awesome right now...like...I'm above the rest of them in the clouds. [cool]
<3 Green Day~Jeff Dunham~King of the Hill <3

"When I want your advice I'll ask for it!" - Moe Howard
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking til you do succeed." - Curly Howard

Offline ILMM

Offline middlenamewayne

Lest anyone think the Three Stooges are the only gents to be blasphemed for (dollars and) cents, here's the trailer for "The All-New Laurel & Hardy" in their feature film For Love Or Mummy (1999):

And for The Little Rascals (1994):

And Popeye (1980):

And here's a clip or 3 from the 1992 Marx-ist comedy Lame Ducks (aka Brain Donors):

Finally, as a bonus, watch as The Terminator ("I'll be back!") meets Emil Sitka ("Hold hands, you Love Birds"!) in this scene from 1992's The Nutty Nut:

- mnw

"That'll teach the Walking Dead to fool with Oliver Thaddeus Hardy!"

Offline Bum

Critical and box-office response to all of the above proves one thing: Hollywood never learns.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Brain Donors is an homage to the comedy teams of yester-year, and a very underrated comedy at that. I don't think you can throw that in to the mix with those other ones.

The others are just remaking old properties. I was 8 or so when The Little Rascals came out and I remember a lot of kids in school had seen it. That was weird to me because until that point, I was the only one who knew anything about the Our Gang shorts.

"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Bum

Brain Donors is an homage to the comedy teams of yester-year, and a very underrated comedy at that. I don't think you can throw that in to the mix with those other ones.

The others are just remaking old properties. I was 8 or so when The Little Rascals came out and I remember a lot of kids in school had seen it. That was weird to me because until that point, I was the only one who knew anything about the Our Gang shorts.

Shortly after "The Little Rascals" movie came out, I took some of the original Our Gang VHS tapes to watch at my friend's house. It was strange because to my friend's kids, the "Little Rascals" was the REAL group of kids, and the black and white Our Gang kids were the inferior impostors!

Offline middlenamewayne

Brain Donors is an homage to the comedy teams of yester-year, and a very underrated comedy at that. I don't think you can throw that in to the mix with those other ones. The others are just remaking old properties.

According to the film's credits, Brain Donors' script was "suggested by" A Night At The Opera. You'd have to call it a semi-remake, at least... It is underrated, though.

- mnw

Offline luke795

You forgot about the Honeymooners remake.  With Black people instead of the White people.

Offline Larry Larry

Agreed.  An homage to not just the Marx Brothers, but Stooges too, and the entire comedy style in these old films. 

While I myself ranted (on this forum) about the Farrellys movie, now that it is nearly here, what does everyone plan to do?  See it?  Skip it?

Whatever the merit of the film, I'm sure it is an opportunity to capture new Stooge fans.     

The film has the potential to bring new fans to this site.  Is this site planning on capitalizing on potential new foot traffic?
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline metaldams

While I myself ranted (on this forum) about the Farrellys movie, now that it is nearly here, what does everyone plan to do?  See it?  Skip it?

The more I see the trailers the less I enjoy what I see, but i also know for a fact curiosity will get the better of me and I will see this.  In what manner hasn't been determined, but what I think will happen is my brother, who will probably want to see this, will ask me to go, and I can't see myself saying no to him.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larry Larry

The more I see the trailers the less I enjoy what I see, but i also know for a fact curiosity will get the better of me and I will see this.  In what manner hasn't been determined, but what I think will happen is my brother, who will probably want to see this, will ask me to go, and I can't see myself saying no to him.

That's exactly what is happening w/ me.  My brother & his 2 kids, already want to see it and want me to go.  How can I say no to family, especially those 2 great kids.  My hope at this point is that it isn't a fart, poop and bathroom humor movie.  Knowing the Farrelys though, that's all they can seem to make.

Looking forward to what the critics say.  Reviews will start showing up soon.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline Larrington

The more I see the trailers the less I enjoy what I see, but i also know for a fact curiosity will get the better of me and I will see this ...

That's interesting.  I had the opposite reaction when I saw the second trailer and the interview piece (with the actors in character) that popped up on YouTube recently.  The additional footage made me think more that they've nailed the characterizations pretty well, and that the movie may wind up being a bit of a pleasant surprise. 

I mean JEEEEZ...they're not looking to replace the real Stooges with this thing (that, I agree, can never happen.  It simply isn't possible). 

But have so many people really lost sight of the fact that it's just an homage by two guys who love the original shorts as much as we all do?  I admit that I had my doubts about this enterprise ever since I first read about the idea almost 20 years ago, long before the Farelly brothers were involved   (before he died, even Norman Maurer talked about doing a project very much like this).

I don't foresee this film doing any kind of blockbuster business, but I still hope that it's good and most importantly, that it does the legacy of the boys some justice.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
I'm giving it a shot next Saturday.  I'm all for giving things a chance, even though they may be a disappointment (and in this case, an embarrassment).
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline Larrington

I'm giving it a shot next Saturday.  I'm all for giving things a chance, even though they may be a disappointment (and in this case, an embarrassment).

That's sensible.
As a very wise man once said, "You'll never know until you check it out."

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I've softened my stance on this movie a tad. Don't get me wrong, I still think this movie shouldn't have been made and cannot see this being any good (especially with the over-hyped Farrelly Bros. involved and Will "Artie Lange's MAD TV leftovers" Sasso as Curly) but it could range anywhere to "meh" to "terrible" to "so bad it's good" in a B movie way.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I've softened my stance on this movie a tad. Don't get me wrong, I still think this movie shouldn't have been made and cannot see this being any good (especially with the over-hyped Farrelly Bros. involved and Will "Artie Lange's MAD TV leftovers" Sasso as Curly) but it could range anywhere to "meh" to "terrible" to "so bad it's good" in a B movie way.

After seeing several different commercials for the movie, I too have "softened my stance" somewhat.  I still doubt that it will be all that good (fart jokes, lobster-in-the-crotch, sexy nuns and Jersey Shore cameos aren't my idea of Three Stooges comedy, but just lame old Farrelly "humor"), and I suspect that they will only break even at best, but I have see a few brief clips where it looked as though they did a fair bit of Stooging.  I'm not going to waste hard-earned money on it at the theater, but depending on the reviews of those of you who do go see it I may take a look when it turns up on Netflix.   ;)

Offline archiezappa

Well, we're gonna go see it.  My kids are Stooges fans, as am I.  Whether I regret this or not, remains to be seen.

I've watched the trailers.  The movie is rated PG.  I'm thinking it will be all right. 

Offline metaldams

My brother is hellbent on seeing this movie, and surprisingly, my Dad wants to see it too. I would be a total jerk, being the Stooge fan I am, to say no to family time just to make a "stance" on something that in the long run, is really one of the least important things in the world to make a stance on right now.

I'm still not a fan of the idea of the film being made in principle, but it is made, I have family who wants to see it, and I of course am curious.  I'm keeping an open mind, but being a bit nerdier on things Stooge than the rest of my family, I of course will be more critical than they will.  If that's a good or bad thing is open to interpretation, but when I see the movie, I will try my best to post an honest review.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I hope that everyone who does see it will take in a weekday matinee if at all possible. Around these parts Mon-Thu before 4 pm or so is $5, then before 7 or so $7.50 before maxing out at $10.50 during the peak hours. That is fuckin' crazy! If you want 3D that's $4 more, and I think IMAX 3D is another $5 added to the original price of the ticket.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I seem to be more like others here in terms of "softening my stance" on the film itself. My main gripe before anything that the movie would almost be disrespectful to the legacy of the Stooges, with more gross-out humor and other things the Farrally's are known for rather than the Stooge material that the trailers show.

The movie looks far from a masterpiece but I guess it could have been a lot worse than it looks to have turned out. I was just watching the red carpet premiere of the movie on Yahoo from the other day and the three principal guys arrived in character. It was cute. The movie almost definitely is gearing towards a children's audience, and I can respect that. If this movie opens up a new generation to appreciate the shorts the same way I do, then I'm for it.

The red carpet walk seemed kind of disorganized. Jane Lynch uttered "this is a mess" since people were all over the place and there was no orderly fashion. Almost in Stooge form itself.

If I'm bored on a Tuesday I'll catch this. That's when movies are $5 around here. I wouldn't pay more than that, though.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Larrington

I seem to be more like others here in terms of "softening my stance" on the film itself. My main gripe before anything that the movie would almost be disrespectful to the legacy of the Stooges, with more gross-out humor and other things the Farrally's are known for rather than the Stooge material that the trailers show...

You make good points and there are certainly folks that agree with you.
One thing people seem to be losing sight of is that the original shorts were "of another time" and the comic sensibilities of the shorts (such as they are) are of that time.    Times change, the industry has changed, and for better or for worse the public's taste in comedy has changed.

I don't know the Farelly brothers and have no connection with them or with the studio that finally greenlit the project,  but I tend to believe what they have said in interviews...that they wanted to stay true to the spirit of the characters but bring them into the 21st century.   It's a formidable challenge;  other than the comedy, part of the current day appeal of the original shorts is the "quaintness" of the 30's/40's/50's period setting.

But really, if the original Stooges were in their prime and making films today, I'd be willing to bet that their humor would be every bit as "out there" as that of the Farellys.  While the Farellys have had a few misses in recent years,  I think that ultimately they were a good fit for this project and seem to be 'coming from the right place' in their approach. 

Again...whether they've actually pulled it off remains to be seen.   This was a risky venture from the git-go (for all of the reasons voiced throughout this thread) and they knew the risks.   After all...the bottom line is that they were making a Three Stooges movie, without the Three Stooges. 

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
You make good points and there are certainly folks that agree with you.
One thing people seem to be losing sight of is that the original shorts were "of another time" and the comic sensibilities of the shorts (such as they are) are of that time.    Times change, the industry has changed, and for better or for worse the public's taste in comedy has changed.

I don't know the Farelly brothers and have no connection with them or with the studio that finally greenlit the project,  but I tend to believe what they have said in interviews...that they wanted to stay true to the spirit of the characters but bring them into the 21st century.   It's a formidable challenge;  other than the comedy, part of the current day appeal of the original shorts is the "quaintness" of the 30's/40's/50's period setting.

But really, if the original Stooges were in their prime and making films today, I'd be willing to bet that their humor would be every bit as "out there" as that of the Farellys.  While the Farellys have had a few misses in recent years,  I think that ultimately they were a good fit for this project and seem to be 'coming from the right place' in their approach. 

Again...whether they've actually pulled it off remains to be seen.   This was a risky venture from the git-go (for all of the reasons voiced throughout this thread) and they knew the risks.   After all...the bottom line is that they were making a Three Stooges movie, without the Three Stooges. 

You sound like a Farrelly shill.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
For anyone interested in getting a look at the Faux Farrelly Stooges in action they will be "guests" on Monday Night Raw tonight 9-11 pm EST on the USA Network.