Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The 2009 Baseball Thread

metaldams · 146 · 33859

Offline metaldams

The Yanks got C.C. Sabbathia, well fuck me running.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The Yanks got C.C. Sabbathia, well fuck me running.

I expected it, their offer was just too much to turn down. Notice the opt-out clause after two years though, that tells me he did not want to sign with them but he had no choice. He'd much rather play in Cali but their offers were too small by comparison. I'm going to predict he opts out in 2011.

With CC signed that makes Boston the clear front runners for Teixeira. There's no way the NYY are still in the mix. Let's hope this ends up biting them in the ass down the road.  ;D
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

With CC signed that makes Boston the clear front runners for Teixeira. There's no way the NYY are still in the mix. Let's hope this ends up biting them in the ass down the road.  ;D

I just hope it doesn't feel like your signature........not that there's anything wrong with that.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

I'm not suprised, I know CC probably would have prefered to stay on the West Coast
but no team over there could come close to matching the Yankees offer.

I hope this works out for us, wonder who else the Yankess will be picking up now
that CC is just about in the bag here. Don't know if they can get Teixeira but
perhaps another pitcher?
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm not suprised, I know CC probably would have prefered to stay on the West Coast
but no team over there could come close to matching the Yankees offer.

I hope this works out for us, wonder who else the Yankess will be picking up now
that CC is just about in the bag here. Don't know if they can get Teixeira but
perhaps another pitcher?

They'll need another pitcher if they plan on trying to be competitive. CC and Wang will not be enough to keep pace with Sox and Rays. It seems to me they are ignoring their glaring bullpen needs as well. Hitting should be a low priority since they are pretty well stacked. The Swisher deal puzzles the shit out of me. I wonder if they'll overpay to try to get Lowe; as much as I love D-Lowe he is definitely not worth what he's asking for and what people think he will get. Also I think two sinker ballers on the same rotation is counter-productive because it helps the opposing lineups wait on that pitch and time it better.

I fully expect them to be out of the running for Teixeira. Two multi-year nine figure contracts in the same season is too much for any team to take on, even the Yankees: not to mention that bringing such high profile talent all at once will most likely destroy any shot at creating team chemistry. I think Tex will either go with Boston, Baltimore or Washington, with Boston being the front runner.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

They'll need another pitcher if they plan on trying to be competitive. CC and Wang will not be enough to keep pace with Sox and Rays. It seems to me they are ignoring their glaring bullpen needs as well. Hitting should be a low priority since they are pretty well stacked. The Swisher deal puzzles the shit out of me. I wonder if they'll overpay to try to get Lowe; as much as I love D-Lowe he is definitely not worth what he's asking for and what people think he will get. Also I think two sinker ballers on the same rotation is counter-productive because it helps the opposing lineups wait on that pitch and time it better.

I fully expect them to be out of the running for Teixeira. Two multi-year nine figure contracts in the same season is too much for any team to take on, even the Yankees: not to mention that bringing such high profile talent all at once will most likely destroy any shot at creating team chemistry. I think Tex will either go with Boston, Baltimore or Washington, with Boston being the front runner.

I read a poster on a Red Sox board say Sabbathia can give the Yanks no more than what Mussina gave last year, and I agree.  You could consider this a wash, HOWEVER, that doesn't take into account Wang was hurt last year, so a healthy Wang should also help the rotation.  I agree the Yanks need another strong starter in case the young guys don't work out, but if the below rotation is firing on all cylanders, they could be nasty.

Sabbathia
Wang
Free Agent
Chamberlain
Hughes/Aceves

Get another free agent and have a few guys duke it out for the fifth spot in spring training.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Chamberlain is not cut out to be starter...he practically had to retire after his few starts last year. I fully expect Hughes to continue to shit the bed and was not too impressed with Aceves either. You have to remember this is an organization that has systematically destroyed their own farm system over the past near decade in order to field a list of self-absorbed superstars. With that rotation and the fact that their bullpen is the shits I can see the Yanks doing what the Brewers did last year and ride CC until he drops if they are anywhere near a playoff spot. I really think the best thing for the Yankees would have been to accept the downtime and rebuild their farm system thereby creating their own superstars (then keep them afterwards). At this  rate they will be in this continuous limbo of pissing away $200 million plus a year on payroll to win 90-93 games a year.

Apparently looking up at teams like the Red Sox and Rays the past couple of years has taught them nothing. The only ones that get hurt in all this are Yankees fans.

Offline metaldams

Chamberlain is not cut out to be starter...he practically had to retire after his few starts last year. I fully expect Hughes to continue to shit the bed and was not too impressed with Aceves either. You have to remember this is an organization that has systematically destroyed their own farm system over the past near decade in order to field a list of self-absorbed superstars. With that rotation and the fact that their bullpen is the shits I can see the Yanks doing what the Brewers did last year and ride CC until he drops if they are anywhere near a playoff spot. I really think the best thing for the Yankees would have been to accept the downtime and rebuild their farm system thereby creating their own superstars (then keep them afterwards). At this  rate they will be in this continuous limbo of pissing away $200 million plus a year on payroll to win 90-93 games a year.

Apparently looking up at teams like the Red Sox and Rays the past couple of years has taught them nothing. The only ones that get hurt in all this are Yankees fans.

You may be right, heck, I hope you are, but I think making a prediction like that on Hughes, or any 22 year old kid, is premature.  Joba just needs to be put in one place, and then we'll see how his health holds up. 

I've heard D-Lowe has a huge offer from the Yanks as well and may take it.  I admit this all does smack of desperation, but to this organization, 2000 was eons ago. I agree a year or two to rebuild would be smart, but I think Hank wants the new stadium to open better than the old one closed.

Just a rumor, I'm hearing that Boston is eyeing a deal on JOHN SMOLTZ.  Supposedly similar to what Colon had last season, we shall see.  Just a rumor.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
There was absolutely nothing about Phillip Hughes that impressed me at all. I think the whole Hughes/Kennedy slathering reeks of the "Yankees boost", meaning that they will be viewed as better than they are just because they are wearing the gaudy pinstripes. I may be wrong but I'm standing by my prediction: it's been years since the Yankees farm system has churned out a half-way decent player (and Cano does not count). Many people I knew thought I was insane when I said Lester would turn out to be a great pitcher.

Yeah, I heard about Smoltz too...Theo loves the low/no risks gambles. Right now I'm going to put as much stock in the Smoltz rumor as I am in the Pettitte rumor (which is none at all).

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well to get this thread up to date, the Mets acquired JJ Putz from the Seattle Mariners in a blockbuster three team trade that included the Indians. The 1-2 punch of Putz and K-Rod is absolutely lethal and should make for an exciting NL East. Now if they can get some starting pitching they might be the preseason favorites to win the division.

The Peavy to Cubs deal appears to be dead.

Teixeira has apparently four finalists vying for his services: Boston, LA Angels, Baltimore and Washington. I would think Boston would be the front runners here because they are on the east coast which the Angels aren't and are immediate contenders for the near (and likely distant) future, unlike the Nationals and Orioles. I wonder if the Nats and O's would be able to afford to build around him, though a marquee name like Tex would definitely help drum up interest in the Beltway. There are mild Yankees rumors but the consensus seems to be that they are only in it because they don't want Tex in Boston (thus the pissing contest continues...yawn).

Speaking of the Bronx Bitches, there are talks of a Mike Cameron for Melky Cabrera trade with the Brewers. While Cameron is vastly overrated Melky is an overhyped scrub who should in AA so I would hope the Brewers would get more in such a trade.

In non-baseball related site news I wanted to give a quick plug to the new feature The Master Debates, where you can win a one-year subscription to the Three Stooges Journal, as well as let people know that I'll be finishing my countdown of the lamest wrestling characters that got over: which features  a #1 that is in my opinion one of the "all time greats".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
What do you think of the new Red Sox unis Doug? The hanging socks caps I think are ok for an alternative cap for fans to wear but I still think they should stick with the red B on the uniforms.

While the alternate blue away jerseys look shitty, the new road grays look awesome.

Offline Justin T

Well, the Yankees have struck again, now word has leaked that free agent pitcher A.J. Burnett 
has also agreed to a contract with the Yankees.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3765754

5 years, 82 million is what he's agreed to.

I may be a Yankee fan, but this throwing money around does bother me a bit. Now, I wonder
if their going to try and get Derek Lowe as well. I know Cashman has been trying to get
Pettite to resign but honestly, as much as I used to love Andy, I dont want him back.

So now we got Sabathia and Burnett added to the rotation, not bad at all.

I think Boston is going to nab Teixeira unless the Angles make him an offer he can't refuse, I doubt
the Yankees have really tried to get him or there would have been more news about it.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

Well, the Yankees have struck again, now word has leaked that free agent pitcher A.J. Burnett 

I may be a Yankee fan, but this throwing money around does bother me a bit. Now, I wonder
if their going to try and get Derek Lowe as well. I know Cashman has been trying to get
Pettite to resign but honestly, as much as I used to love Andy, I dont want him back.

I think Boston is going to nab Teixeira unless the Angles make him an offer he can't refuse, I doubt
the Yankees have really tried to get him or there would have been more news about it.

Those late 90's teams had home grown guys like Jeter, Pettite, Bernie, Posada and Mo to go along with the Strawberrys, Rockets, Cones, and Wells of the world.

The Red Sox have Pedroia, Paps, Youk, Ellsbury and Lester to go with the Dice-K's, Lowells, Drews, and Becketts.

This 2009 Yankee team?  A bunch of paid mercenaries.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

What do you think of the new Red Sox unis Doug? The hanging socks caps I think are ok for an alternative cap for fans to wear but I still think they should stick with the red B on the uniforms.

While the alternate blue away jerseys look shitty, the new road grays look awesome.

Eh, kind of disinterested, frankly.  I'm sure my opinion will grow more intense once I actually watch games with these uniforms.

That said, ticket prices will remain the same as last year, so they gotta find some way to raise revenue.  I'll stick with my old Papelbon and Ortiz shirts myself.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

They still aren't going to make the playoffs.

Offline JazzBill

They still aren't going to make the playoffs.
I guess we'll  C.C. about that.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I guess we'll  C.C. about that.

Think about it: Sabathia and Burnett give the Yankees the third best rotation in the Al East on paper. That's not factoring in team synergy, of which they have none. The Yankees ownership is all sorts of retarded and not only does it hurt the Yankees and their fans but all of baseball. In the current sports world tradition sells and teams with tradition are more popular than ever, so it makes sense that if those teams (like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, etc) then baseball prospers as well.

Grabbing headlines in December does equal rings in October.

Offline JazzBill

That's not factoring in team synergy, of which they have none.

So true. I believe the Phillies of last year had a ton of this synergy that you speak of.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Speaking of the Phils, they resigned Jamie Moyer to a 2 year contract. I hope both he and Wakefield pitch until they are 50.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Apparently the Braves look to be the front runners for Rafael Furcal, with a 3-year $30 million offer with a vesting option for a fourth. Oakland has a 4 year $40 million offer but it looks like Furcal doesn't want to go there. Furcal's agent said he told him to "sleep on it" and not rush to an emotional decision and seems to hope the Dodgers will increase their offer to retain him.

There are also rumors that Boston has made an 8 year $200 million offer to Mark Teixeira, which would be by far the largest offer this ownership group has made. It appears to be between the Sox and Halos, with the O's and Nats as also-rans. The Yankees aren't considered serious contenders for Tex, but could pursue Manny Ramirez, who has allegedly been very disappointed with the lack of movement on his front. He should realize that maybe, just MAYBE, being a block of dick cheese might effect him in a negative way.

There are still rumors of a Melky Cabrera/Mike Cameron trade that would also involve the Yankees unloading Kei Igawa on the Brewers. Don't do it Milwaukee.

Offline metaldams

The Yankees aren't considered serious contenders for Tex, but could pursue Manny Ramirez, who has allegedly been very disappointed with the lack of movement on his front. He should realize that maybe, just MAYBE, being a block of dick cheese might effect him in a negative way.

Hey, watch it, I just launched two home runs with Manny in one game against Kazmir.  He's been a good citizen in my video game season, no doubt something Boras should include in his media spiel.

I agree though, 36 years old, demanding tons of money, and the maturity of 14 year old, he'll get a deal, but only the Yanks would be dumb enough to give him what he wants....maybe.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Hey, watch it, I just launched two home runs with Manny in one game against Kazmir.  He's been a good citizen in my video game season, no doubt something Boras should include in his media spiel.

I agree though, 36 years old, demanding tons of money, and the maturity of 14 year old, he'll get a deal, but only the Yanks would be dumb enough to give him what he wants....maybe.

I am absolutely hooked on MLB 2K8 and am already well into the 09 season. I try to keep the rosters as close to the real rosters as well, so Manny is no longer on the Red Sox. Funny thing happened shortly after I put CC on the Brewers: they traded him to the Yankees. That game is psychic I tells ya!

Offline metaldams

I am absolutely hooked on MLB 2K8 and am already well into the 09 season. I try to keep the rosters as close to the real rosters as well, so Manny is no longer on the Red Sox. Funny thing happened shortly after I put CC on the Brewers: they traded him to the Yankees. That game is psychic I tells ya!

The game's getting too easy.  I play HOF difficulty, no pitch guide when I pitch, no pitch guessing when I hit, and I'm 30 - 6. 

Sad real life coincidence: Beckett Vs. Joba, I lose 1 - 0.

Happy real life coincidence:  Pavano and Joba both on DL.

I stick with the roster that was initially in the game, so I even have Schilling in my rotation.  I desperately need a real back up 1B and don't feel like getting Casey on the FA market.  I have Mirabelli as mt back up 1B (!), but I'm trying to trade Brandon Moss for one.  The computer would actually allow me to trade Moss for either Giambi or Aubrey Huff!  Since i don't care about future seasons, that's too unfair, so I'm waiting for a more "realistic' trade option.  Y'know, perhaps I should just try Bailey and put Moss in the minors. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yeah, it is too easy. I went 159-3 and swept Cleveland, the Yankees and Milwaukee to win the World Series in 08 and am thus far undefeated in 09. You're going to have to toggle with the controls yourself, lower your hitting attributes and increase those of the CPU. You could also lower the pitcher's stamina so he's blown up after two innings but I found that to be unsatisfying and nowhere near realistic.

In 09 both A-Rod and Cano are on the 60 day DL and the Yankees are in last place.

Offline metaldams

Yeah, it is too easy. I went 159-3 and swept Cleveland, the Yankees and Milwaukee to win the World Series in 08 and am thus far undefeated in 09. You're going to have to toggle with the controls yourself, lower your hitting attributes and increase those of the CPU. You could also lower the pitcher's stamina so he's blown up after two innings but I found that to be unsatisfying and nowhere near realistic.

In 09 both A-Rod and Cano are on the 60 day DL and the Yankees are in last place.

Yeah, perhaps I should just mess with the "sliders," as they're called.  I leave everything neutral.  I also notice the way relievers are set up they could go 2 or 3 innings regularly, and the computer does the same.  It's ridiculous when looking at the league leaders, guys like Al Reyes, Scott Downs, and Alan Embree on pace to pitch more than 120 innings a season!
- Doug Sarnecky