Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The 2009 Baseball Thread

metaldams · 146 · 34005

Offline metaldams

I'm surprised the Red Sox and Cardnials got swept out of the playoffs like that, I thought
both series would be close affairs.

Hopfully the Yankees can finish a sweep of the Twins tonight, winning Game 2 like they did
was mindblowing. Twins are playing their hearts out though, I have to hand it to em. They
have alot of talent and I respect them.

Mind blowing?  You had 15, count 'em, FIFTEEN walk off wins this year in the regular season and just pulled off another walk off against a team who has won a grand total of two games in Yankee Stadium since 2002.  You already posted three regular season walk off wins against the Twins this season.  That wasn't mind blowing, that was about as predictable as they come.  Blown umpire call aside, the question wasn't IF the Yankees would pull that off, it was what inning and who would deliver the final blow.

The Angels are the only team I think capable of beating New York.  Whoever wins the ALCS wins the World Series.  I just hope Carl Pavano throws a gem tonight, at least that would be funny.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

Mind blowing?  You had 15, count 'em, FIFTEEN walk off wins this year in the regular season and just pulled off another walk off against a team who has won a grand total of two games in Yankee Stadium since 2002.  You already posted three regular season walk off wins against the Twins this season.  That wasn't mind blowing, that was about as predictable as they come.  Blown umpire call aside, the question wasn't IF the Yankees would pull that off, it was what inning and who would deliver the final blow.

The Angels are the only team I think capable of beating New York.  Whoever wins the ALCS wins the World Series.  I just hope Carl Pavano throws a gem tonight, at least that would be funny.

It would be funny and ironic after the injury-riddled years he spent in NY.

I know what you mean, after all the walkoff and come from behind wins this season its easy to look at it and say "Well they did it again".
For me, I have never seen a Yankee team play so well, fight so hard, and come from behind when they need it since the 90's. It's just
amazing to me how they just keep doing it.

If we can get past the Twins, facing the Angles in the ALCS is going to be a dogfight. Thankfully we would have homefield. They have
been a pain the ass for the Yankees this decade, but we finished the regular season strong against them winning 3 of the last 4.
I know we can beat them, but it's not going to be easy.

And I agree, whoever comes out of the AL is probably going to win the World Series, the Yankees or the Angels could beat
any of the NL teams left easily
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

It would be funny and ironic after the injury-riddled years he spent in NY.

I know what you mean, after all the walkoff and come from behind wins this season its easy to look at it and say "Well they did it again".
For me, I have never seen a Yankee team play so well, fight so hard, and come from behind when they need it since the 90's. It's just
amazing to me how they just keep doing it.

If we can get past the Twins, facing the Angles in the ALCS is going to be a dogfight. Thankfully we would have homefield. They have
been a pain the ass for the Yankees this decade, but we finished the regular season strong against them winning 3 of the last 4.
I know we can beat them, but it's not going to be easy.

And I agree, whoever comes out of the AL is probably going to win the World Series, the Yankees or the Angels could beat
any of the NL teams left easily

The Red Sox had an absolutely disappointing 2006, but there was one shining light named David Ortiz.  Whenever the game was on the line in Fenway, he just about ALWAYS hit a walk off that year.  It was ridiculous.  Whenever he stepped up to the plate with the game on the line, Fenway went apeshit because they knew something big was about to happen, and it usually did.  These days we really don't want to see Ortiz up there with the game on the line, but back then he was an automatic victory.  It literally got to the point where the shock wore off and an Ortiz walk off was predictable, an expectation.  I imagine it must feel the same way for a Yankee fan this year, except with their entire line-up. 

On paper this year Boston looked fine but there was a spark missing from this team whenever they were outside of Fenway or Camden Yards.  I can't even logically say what it was, which makes for terrible conversation, but there was some killer instinct missing.  Just a gut feeling I had which proved to be true.  Perhaps starting the season 8 - 0 against the Yankees and failing to win the season series was it, or maybe that meltdown against Baltimore - I don't know.  All I know is there's something missing from this team, something intangible, and I hope they regain it next year.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

Well, Yankees came from behind...again, to beat the Twins 4-1 to complete the
3 game sweep. A-Rod came up with another big home run, so did Posada. Pettitte
pitched a gem and the bullpen put the final nails in the coffin, great game.

Next up, the Angles in the ALCS starting Friday. That's going to be one hell of a series.

Meanwhile in Denver, the Rockies are up 2-1 on the Phillies. Only 2nd inning
so that game is far from over.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline Lefty

Meanwhile in Denver, the Rockies are up 2-1 on the Phillies. Only 2nd inning
so that game is far from over.

When I first read this, I thought that you meant that the Rockies were up 2-1 in the SERIES.  :)  This morning I watched the 9th inning and thoroughly enjoyed the end result.  I taped the game from 12:30 to 2:30, and that was only because I figured long delays by commercials (and possibly snow).  I made it with 10 minutes to spare.  At least tonight I can hopefully watch the hopeful clinching.  Tomorrow begins the work week, meaning "Sunday night bedtime" for my wife and me, so I'll probably have to tape the end of the game again. 

Dog Hambone

I taped the game from 12:30 to 2:30, and that was only because I figured long delays by commercials (and possibly snow).  I made it with 10 minutes to spare. 

The game went on until 12:30 am local time, on a Sunday night no less. I can't even imagine it lasting until 2:30 am; I feel sorry for the Phillies fans. On Saturday, when the game was postponed, it never got out of the 20s & snowed most of the day (although it had been too warm the week before for much of it to stick). The weather here in Denver isn't usually like that in early October, although we have had a few Rockies games snowed out in September & April. On Sunday, it was partially sunny & the temperature got up to about 40. But by game time, it was back down below freezing again. It cools down fast after the sun sets in this semi-arid climate, even in summertime. Whoever at TBS or MLB who scheduled that Sunday game ought to have their heads examined.

Huston Street is a terrific closer, & I'm still a big fan of his, but he just didn't have it in the 9th inning of either game 3 or game 4. Not to take anything away from the Phillies; their players are among the best. 

Offline metaldams

Huston Street is a terrific closer, & I'm still a big fan of his, but he just didn't have it in the 9th inning of either game 3 or game 4. Not to take anything away from the Phillies; their players are among the best. 

This has been an awful post season for closers in general.  Street, Nathan, Papelbon and Franklin all blew leads.  Street also gave up the walk off shot to Magglio Ordonez in '06 that sent the Tigers to the World Series.  Papelbon, on the other hand, pitched 27 scoreless post-season innings until his meltdown on Sunday.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

Well, one half of the World Series is set. The Phillies will be defending the championship after a 10-4 beatdown
of the Dodgers in Game 5 of the NLCS to win the series 4-1. They are a hell of a team.

Meanwhile, the Yankees are up 3 games to 1 on the Angles going into Game 5 Thursday night. Thanks to the
awesome pitching of CC and A-Rod's dominance at the plate were almost there. Hopefully they can put them
away ASAP and prepare to welcome the Phillies to town next week in Game 1 of the World Series.

First, we have to win one more game.

Oh, and the 3 blown calls in Game 4 of the ALCS were beyond horrible. Baseball needs to do something before
a bad call costs someone a World Series game.
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yawn. This year the playoffs have been incredibly dull and uncompetitive. Hopefully the Yankees will lose because their fans are absolutely intolerable, but I can really care less. Snore.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Yawn. This year the playoffs have been incredibly dull and uncompetitive. Hopefully the Yankees will lose because their fans are absolutely intolerable, but I can really care less. Snore.

The only "positive" I can gather out of this is this will give me a chance to legitimately "cheer" for the Phillies with the locals if the Yanks don't blow it against the Angels. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Oh, and Jim, with the exception of the past two ALCS's, the playoffs have been boring and uncompetitive for the last few years.  Sometimes the results make it seem otherwise ('07), but there have been very few good series as of late.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Well, the Angels have gotta win two in a row in Yankee Stadium.  Good luck with that.  At least we're getting a game six.

Do you realize there hasn't been a game six in the World Series, nevermind seven, since 2003?  2002 was the last seven game series.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

Well, the Angels have gotta win two in a row in Yankee Stadium.  Good luck with that.  At least we're getting a game six.

Do you realize there hasn't been a game six in the World Series, nevermind seven, since 2003?  2002 was the last seven game series.

Yeah, its been awhile since a WS went 6 or 7 games, shows you how dominating the World Series winners have been the
last several years.
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Tell me about it: the last time we had a DS go 5 was in 2005 when the Angels beat the Yankees. Baseball needs more competitive playoff series', and the World Series in particular.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline FineBari3

Tell me about it: the last time we had a DS go 5 was in 2005 when the Angels beat the Yankees. Baseball needs more competitive playoff series', and the World Series in particular.

I would love to see some other teams in the playoffs someday. Call it jealousy or envy (I live in Pittsburgh), but I am really, really sick of the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox.

It was fun to cheer for the Rays last year!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Lefty

Whether the World Series goes 4 games or 7, I'd be happy to see the Phillies have as many world championships as the Yankees.  So it's only fair that the Phillies win this year and the next 25.  LOL

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I would love to see some other teams in the playoffs someday. Call it jealousy or envy (I live in Pittsburgh), but I am really, really sick of the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox.

It was fun to cheer for the Rays last year!

The Pirates will make the playoffs when 12 of the 16 National League teams all die in plane crashes, and even then they'll probably get swept in the DS.

Don't hate because those teams actually have owners who are willing to spend money and supportive fan bases. :P

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Whether the World Series goes 4 games or 7, I'd be happy to see the Phillies have as many world championships as the Yankees.  So it's only fair that the Phillies win this year and the next 25.  LOL

Damn dude, even I know that having the Red Sox win every year would be horrible for baseball. MLB needs more competitive playoffs and different franchises building winners, not the same team winning over and over. With that said I will be pulling for the Phillies no matter who wins the ALCS because it would be nice to see one back-to-back this decade.

Offline FineBari3

It's called revenue sharing, and MLB should support the other small-market teams. You never see small market teams on ESPN or other national broadcasts. Its always the same teams.

If your team was shit, and continued to be shit because of no money to spend on good players, you wouldn't support them either. Pittsburgh is one helluva sports town, as the Sporting News named us this year, and also the best major-league farm team for the Red Sox, Yankees, and Braves.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Revenue sharing is bullshit. Why should the Yankees/Red Sox/etc. give away the money they earn to the Pirates/Royals/etc.? The reason you don't see those small market teams on ESPN is because no one watches them. If they brought in good ratings ESPN would have them on.

PS: I would support the Red Sox no matter what.

Offline metaldams

It's not always the money teams that win it all, though it may very well be the Yankees this year in no small part to the bloated contracts of A-Rod, Sabbathia, and Texiera (I don't know if I spelled his name right and I don't care).

The Yankees are # 1 in payroll and the Red Sox #4.  I believe the 2 and 3 teams are the Mets and Cubs, and they both were awful this year.  On the other hand, Tampa Bay last year had a relatively low payroll and made the World Series.  The reason, which a lot of people tend to forget, is because after years of suck, they were rewarded with high draft picks and able to develop players like Evan Longoria.  The problem is their idiotic cowbell waving fanbase STILL doesn't care.

The Pirates, year in and year out, get high draft picks and still haven't had a team worth a damn since '92.  Trading players like Jason Bay for Brandon Moss (a decent ball player, but not Jason Bay), and Craig Hansen (a total disappointment) doesn't help either.  I would LOVE to see Pittsburgh put up a good team, it would make baseball more interesting.  Unfortunately, their ownership doesn't know how.

Oh, and pet peeve of mine, I HATE it when people say the Red Sox (who are cutting back payroll), owe all their success to big spending.  Yeah, that's part of it, but a lot of the big spending is geared towards keeping players they've already developed.  Ellsbury, Pedroia, Lester, Papelbon, Youkilis, Bard and Buchholz have all been developed in the Red Sox farm system.  Victor Martinez? They had to give up Justin Masterson.  Beckett and Lowell?  They had to give up Hanley friggin' Ramirez. 
- Doug Sarnecky