The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The 2009 Baseball Thread

metaldams · 146 · 33863

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
With the pitching sliders it's more difficult to get a realistic setting than the batting sliders. You've got to hit it just right or else the starters won't last more than 3 innings max (on a good outing).
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Here's a hypothetical for you Doug (and any other baseball fan that cares to chime in with their own thoughts) concerning this whole Teixeira drama.

Let's say your Mark Teixeira and are in line for a monster (too much for any player, in my opinion) payday. The Red Sox and Angels are each offering somewhere around 8ys/175MM while the Nationals and Orioles are offering somewhere in the neighborhood of 8yrs/200MM with an option for 25MM 9th year. Which do you take?

Pros for the Halos:
* They will most likely remain competitive for most of or the entire run partly because both have a great, loaded farm system and partly because they have the money to build around you (not to mention being in a weak division with teams that cannot keep up financially).
* The great SoCal weather.
* Less pressure than Boston.

Cons for the Halos:
* They are offering less than Baltimore and Washington are.
* They are out west, and apparently you'd prefer to play on the East Coast, closer to home if possible.
* You will take a backseat to the Yankees/Red Sox as far as the national spotlight is concerned.

Pros for the BoSox:
* Like the Halos, they will most likely remain competitive for most of, if not your entire run due to their farm system and the financial resources to build around you.
* You will be in the national spotlight.
* Awesome fan base that extends beyond the New England borders.
* They are on the East Coast.

Cons for the BoSox:
* They are offering less than Baltimore and Washington.
* The local sports media can be a bunch of intolerable dickholes (ex: CHB).
* The pressure of playing in the AL East, the toughest division in baseball.
* The spotlight can be blinding, especially during Sox/Yankees games.

Pros for the O's:
* They are offering more than Boston or LA.
* They are your home town team, and you were a fan growing up.
* Oriole Park is the most beautiful baseball stadium in MLB.

Cons for the O's:
* Asshole ownership.
* A weak farm system and not enough funds to financially compete, especially in AL East: your mega contract will most likely handcuff them from building around you.
* When the Red Sox and Yankees are in town home games feel more like away games.
* You're in Baltimore, a shitty city (my apologies to anyone from Baltimore but let's face it, that place is a fucking dump).

Pros for the Nats:
* A chance to become the franchise's first hero in the new city.
* The NL East is weaker than the AL East, so you have a better change of eventually competing than Baltimore.
* Close to home.

Cons for the Nats:
* No real fan base to speak of, you'll be expected to create one by your mere presence.
* Just like Baltimore, the farm system is weak and your contract will handcuff the team from building around you: so you will mostly not be competitive.
* Having to suffer through the obligatory "President throws out the first pitch" every year, all the while trying not to vomit.
* Ugh, they're the fucking Nats, what more needs to be said?
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Here's a hypothetical for you Doug (and any other baseball fan that cares to chime in with their own thoughts) concerning this whole Teixeira drama.

Let's say your Mark Teixeira and are in line for a monster (too much for any player, in my opinion) payday. The Red Sox and Angels are each offering somewhere around 8ys/175MM while the Nationals and Orioles are offering somewhere in the neighborhood of 8yrs/200MM with an option for 25MM 9th year. Which do you take?

Pros for the Halos:
* They will most likely remain competitive for most of or the entire run partly because both have a great, loaded farm system and partly because they have the money to build around you (not to mention being in a weak division with teams that cannot keep up financially).
* The great SoCal weather.

Cons for the Halos:
* They are offering less than Baltimore and Washington are.
* They are out west, and apparently you'd prefer to play on the East Coast, closer to home if possible.
* You will take a backseat to the Yankees/Red Sox as far as the national spotlight is concerned.

Pros for the BoSox:
* Like the Halos, they will most likely remain competitive for most of, if not your entire run due to their farm system and the financial resources to build around you.
* You will be in the national spotlight.
* Awesome fan base that extends beyond the New England borders.
* They are on the East Coast.

Cons for the BoSox:
* They are offering less than Baltimore and Washington.
* The local sports media can be a bunch of intolerable dickholes (ex: CHB).
* The pressure of playing in the AL East, the toughest division in baseball.
* The spotlight can be blinding, especially during Sox/Yankees games.

Pros for the O's:
* They are your home town team, and you were a fan growing up.
* Oriole Park is the most beautiful baseball stadium in MLB.

Cons for the O's:
* Asshole ownership.
* A weak farm system and not enough funds to financially compete, especially in AL East: your mega contract will most likely handcuff them from building around you.
* When the Red Sox and Yankees are in town home games feel more like away games.
* You're in Baltimore, a shitty city (my apologies to anyone from Baltimore but let's face it, that place is a fucking dump).

Pros for the Nats:
* A chance to become the franchise's first hero in the new city.
* The NL East is weaker than the AL East, so you have a better change of eventually competing than Baltimore.
* Close to home.

Cons for the Nats:
* No real fan base to speak of, you'll be expected to create one by your mere presence.
* Just like Baltimore, the farm system is weak and your contract will handcuff the team from building around you: so you will mostly not be competitive.
* Having to suffer through the obligatory "President throws out the first pitch" every year, all the while trying not to vomit.
* Ugh, they're the fucking Nats, what more needs to be said?

Well thought out post Jim, and I agree with most of your points about the pros and cons.  The only problem is I can't think in Mark Teixeira's position because I'm simply not him.  For one, I don't think I could ever hire a snake like Boras, so I KNOW I'm not him.  Personally, I guess I'd go to Boston because I'd be filthy rich, on the east coast, unlike the Angels, and on a competitive team year after year, unlike Baltimore and Washngton.

My thinking, personally, is that once you're talking the kind of money these players make, what difference is a few million dollars?  That's why I don't get people like Boras.  Capitalism's OK, to an extent.

As for Baltimore the city, I've only been to the inner harbor portion, but I love that area.  Good food, by the water, and lots of Red Sox fans floating around before the games.  Like the Hard Rock Cafe, ESPN place, Hooters, etc.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'd hire Boras because whether he's a snake or not doesn't matter; he's the best snake in a business of snakes. Also, in the very end it's the player's decision and not the agent's. The Inner Harbor (where Camden Yards/Oriole Park is located) is the only decent part of Baltimore, venturing outside of the IH is downright depressing. Orioles DH Aubrey Huff got in trouble for going on the Bubba the Love Sponge radio show and calling Baltimore a "horse shit town". The only problem was that he was right.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Apparently Teixeira is supposed to announce which team he going to grace with the honor of severely overpaying for his services today. This shit has dragged on for long enough. The consensus seems to be Boston at the moment despite Henry's "not a factor" statement to the press a while back, but it also looks like the Nationals have kicked up their offer. The Angels have withdrawn publicly, the Orioles' offer is substantially less than those of Boston and Washington and the Yankees seem to only be popping up to pester the Red Sox much like Boston did with Sabathia.

Offline metaldams

Apparently Teixeira is supposed to announce which team he going to grace with the honor of severely overpaying for his services today. This shit has dragged on for long enough. The consensus seems to be Boston at the moment despite Henry's "not a factor" statement to the press a while back, but it also looks like the Nationals have kicked up their offer. The Angels have withdrawn publicly, the Orioles' offer is substantially less than those of Boston and Washington and the Yankees seem to only be popping up to pester the Red Sox much like Boston did with Sabathia.

Looks like the Yankees got Teixeira too!  8 years, $180 million, I hear.  This is getting BEYOND ridiculous.  I hope Lars Anderson comes on over and produces the same numbers before he's arbitration eligible.

I actually support the Red Sox on this decision if only because two championships in six seasons have made me confident in the front office.  They have their price for players and they stick with it, and it has seemed to work so far.  I'm hoping this is no exception. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I couldn't stop laughing when I found out. I'm relieved, this ownership group has never signed such a massive contract (Manny was the Yawkee Trust) and I thought that trading away Lowell just to bring Teixeira in could disrupt the clubhouse chemistry in a negative way. The Yankees have committed well over $400 million for Teixeira, Sabathia and Burnett this offseason, and we all know how well their vast overspending has worked out in the past. It does make more sense for the Yankees to sign him because their farm system is an absolute joke and I didn't think they'd settle with Swisher at 1st, while the Sox do have Lars Anderson (who's name came up immediately when it was announced they were in pursuit of Teixeira) who is almost major league ready.

The Yankees seem to be content with making big splashes in the winter instead of winning in the fall, and that's fine by me.  Along with A-Rod they now have the three biggest contracts in baseball and I've still got them penciled in 3rd place in the AL East. The Rays and Red Sox are actual baseball teams while the Yankees are conglomerate of overpriced free agents.

Can everybody else now stop referring to Boston as the second Evil Empire? The biggest free agent signings the Henry group has made are Drew and Dice-K, and those are pocket change by comparison.

Offline metaldams

I couldn't stop laughing when I found out. I'm relieved, this ownership group has never signed such a massive contract (Manny was the Yawkee Trust) and I thought that trading away Lowell just to bring Teixeira in could disrupt the clubhouse chemistry in a negative way. The Yankees have committed well over $400 million for Teixeira, Sabathia and Burnett this offseason, and we all know how well their vast overspending has worked out in the past. It does make more sense for the Yankees to sign him because their farm system is an absolute joke and I didn't think they'd settle with Swisher at 1st, while the Sox do have Lars Anderson (who's name came up immediately when it was announced they were in pursuit of Teixeira) who is almost major league ready.

The Yankees seem to be content with making big splashes in the winter instead of winning in the fall, and that's fine by me.  Along with A-Rod they now have the three biggest contracts in baseball and I've still got them penciled in 3rd place in the AL East. The Rays and Red Sox are actual baseball teams while the Yankees are conglomerate of overpriced free agents.

Can everybody else now stop referring to Boston as the second Evil Empire? The biggest free agent signings the Henry group has made are Drew and Dice-K, and those are pocket change by comparison.

Well, I wanted Teixeira, but the askin price was ridiculous and I'm hoping plan B works out.  All I know is I hate the Yankees even more , and this is a good thing!

By the way, though it's not talked about quite as much, the Yankees officially clinched the division yesterday by signing Kevin Cash to a $700,000, one year deal.  Two things disturb me about this.  One, I have no clue how Cash will be able to survive on such a low income, and two, I think he'll be a huge threat to the Red Sox this spring during our annual Grapefruit League showdown.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

If there is any poetic justice to this, the Yankee's won't make the playoffs. I can't see how they will have any type of team chemistry with this group.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Hell I'm pumped!  I know it's only a video game, but after the family leaves, I decide to get a game in my MLB '08 season and I throw a perfect game with Jon Lester against the O's (on Hall of Fame difficulty).  Nothing but cutters, sliders, and a change painting the corners.  Happy friggin' birthday to me, a perfect game's hard to throw.   
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Hell yeah it is, I have only thrown one perfect game (Dice-K against the Indians) and one no-no (Beckett against the Royals).

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
If there is any poetic justice to this, the Yankee's won't make the playoffs. I can't see how they will have any type of team chemistry with this group.

I honestly don't think they will Bill, for the very reason you mentioned. Like I said, they are not a team but a conglomerate.

Let's say they somehow win the World Series (which I doubt), would it be at all fulfilling? Of course not, because in building your team this way you're not building true team members...no true Yankees that came up through the system. Jeter, Rivera and Posada are the last of a dying breed (don't even mention Melky and Cano, they suck): true Yankee greats.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The Red Sox might have lost out on overpaying Teixeira, but they added a fourth outfielder and another starter today with the signings of Rocco Baldelli and John Smoltz. If I am an opposing batter and looking at facing a rotation that includes Josh Beckett, Jon Lester, Daisuke Matsuzaka, John Smoltz and Brad Penny I'd toss my bat in the air and walk away shaking my head (let's not forget Tim Wakefield should Smoltz or Penny not pan out). If Smoltz and Penny return from injuries to their normal forms this will be beyond a shadow of a doubt THE greatest pitching rotation in MLB.

Smoltz, Penny and Baldelli are low risk/high reward signings and very smart on the part of Theo Epstein. Anybody who thinks the Yankees overspending was going to send the Sox to third place has another think coming.

Offline metaldams

The Red Sox might have lost out on overpaying Teixeira, but they added a fourth outfielder and another starter today with the signings of Rocco Baldelli and John Smoltz. If I am an opposing batter and looking at facing a rotation that includes Josh Beckett, Jon Lester, Daisuke Matsuzaka, John Smoltz and Brad Penny I'd toss my bat in the air and walk away shaking my head (let's not forget Tim Wakefield should Smoltz or Penny not pan out). If Smoltz and Penny return from injuries to their normal forms this will be beyond a shadow of a doubt THE greatest pitching rotation in MLB.

Smoltz, Penny and Baldelli are low risk/high reward signings and very smart on the part of Theo Epstein. Anybody who thinks the Yankees overspending was going to send the Sox to third place has another think coming.

Smoltz won't be ready to pitch until late May or early June the earliest.  He's 41 and coming off surgery, so he's not a lock.  I still like picking him up because he's great insurance, and it would be awesome if he can contribute like his normal self down the stretch.  Smoltz is also a GREAT postseason pitcher, and my Aunt, who's a die hard Braves fan, should have plenty to say to me next time we speak.  He's also versatile, as he can start or work out of the pen.  At one year, this sounds like a risk worth taking, and the same can be said with Brad Penny, except he should be ready right away.  Even without Penny and Smoltz, Boston has plenty of starting pitching depth, so we should be fine as far as that goes.

As for Rocco, I hope whatever strange disease is bugging him is under control and if so, he should be great off the bench.  I sort of became a Rocco fan this post season when he wasn't kicking Boston's ass.  Let's also not forget Josh Bard, no doubt ready for a second round of knuckle sandwiches.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

The board has been dead the past couple of days and spring training is starting, so I kind of put two and two together and thought I should revive this thread.  Things'll be busy here over the next six - eight months.

Anybody wanna talk A-Rod?  Manny?  the A. L. East?  Dodgers?

My opinion on A-Rod - not surprised one bit.  The Arroyo bitch slap in '04 told me all I need to know about A-Rod playing the game fairly, and I hate to say this, but Canseco said A-Rod's on the juice and he's been pretty accurate so far.  I hope Cashman enjoys his "asset" over the next nine years.  No matter the uniform, A-Rod's so easy to dislike. 

As a baseball fan, I'm still disappointed to hear about him juicing because he's one of the best and I hoped he was doing it all clean. I'm sure there are plenty of other players out there who've done it or are doing so, even players I really admire.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Am I the only US Citizen that is actually following the WBC? Two great games yesterday including the US barely hanging on to beat Canada (Pedroia and Youk had great games for the US while Bay had one for Canada) and the Netherlands beating the Dominican Republic in a huge upset. While the DR lost a game they should have won easily Pedro Martinez looked great in 3 innings of relief.

China and Chinese Taipei (Taiwan) were both easily eliminated, the only time either team won was when they played against each other in the Pool A losers bracket.

Pool A:
Japan 4, China 0
Korea 9, TPE 0
China 4, TPE 1 (TPE eliminated)
Japan 14, Korea 2 F/7 (mercy rule, JPN advances to Pool winner match)
Korea 14, China 0 F/7 (mercy rule, CHN eliminated)
Japan vs Korea (determines Pool A winner)

Pool B
South Africa vs Cuba (2pm today)
Australia vs Mexica (9pm today)
Losers Bracket (loser is eliminated)
Winners Bracket (winner qualfies rd 2)
Winner of Losers Bracket vs Loser of Winner's Bracket (winner qualifies rd 2, loser eliminated)
Pool Winner game

Pool C
USA 6, Canada 5
Venezuela 7, Italy 0
Canada vs Italy (loser is eliminated)
USA va Venezuela (winner advances rd 2)
CN/IT winner vs US/VN loser (loser is eliminated, winner advances rd 2)
Pool Winner game

Pool D
Netherlands 3, Dominican Republic 2
Puerto Rico 7, Panama 0
Dominican Republic vs Panama (loser is eliminated)
Netherlands vs Puerto Rico (winner advances to rd 2)
DR/PN winner vs PR/NED loser (winner advances to rd 2, loser is eliminated)
Pool Winner game

Offline metaldams

Am I the only US Citizen that is actually following the WBC? Two great games yesterday including the US barely hanging on to beat Canada (Pedroia and Youk had great games for the US while Bay had one for Canada) and the Netherlands beating the Dominican Republic in a huge upset. While the DR lost a game they should have won easily Pedro Martinez looked great in 3 innings of relief.

China and Chinese Taipei (Taiwan) were both easily eliminated, the only time either team won was when they played against each other in the Pool A losers bracket.

Pool A:
Japan 4, China 0
Korea 9, TPE 0
China 4, TPE 1 (TPE eliminated)
Japan 14, Korea 2 F/7 (mercy rule, JPN advances to Pool winner match)
Korea 14, China 0 F/7 (mercy rule, CHN eliminated)
Japan vs Korea (determines Pool A winner)

Pool B
South Africa vs Cuba (2pm today)
Australia vs Mexica (9pm today)
Losers Bracket (loser is eliminated)
Winners Bracket (winner qualfies rd 2)
Winner of Losers Bracket vs Loser of Winner's Bracket (winner qualifies rd 2, loser eliminated)
Pool Winner game

Pool C
USA 6, Canada 5
Venezuela 7, Italy 0
Canada vs Italy (loser is eliminated)
USA va Venezuela (winner advances rd 2)
CN/IT winner vs US/VN loser (loser is eliminated, winner advances rd 2)
Pool Winner game

Pool D
Netherlands 3, Dominican Republic 2
Puerto Rico 7, Panama 0
Dominican Republic vs Panama (loser is eliminated)
Netherlands vs Puerto Rico (winner advances to rd 2)
DR/PN winner vs PR/NED loser (winner advances to rd 2, loser is eliminated)
Pool Winner game

I caught the last few innings of U.S.A. Vs. Canada.  Kind of strange cheering for Putz to get Bay out.  My day's kind of full today and I'm starting a new job tomorrow, so I can't follow it as much as I'd like.  That said, I did hear Pedro pitched well.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Holy shit, I'm hooked on this thing now.  I watched that Netherlands Vs. Dominican Republic game, one of the greatest ball games I ever watched, and a HUGE upset!  The fucking NETHERLANDS beats the D.R.?!  Wow, awesome, since I always love the underdog.

Now Big Papi can go back to camp with Jason Bay.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Julian Tavarez just joined The Nationals.  Big deal, right?  Here's his quote about it.

"Why did I sign with the Nationals? When you go to a club at 4 in the morning, and you're just waiting, waiting, a 600-pounder looks like J-Lo. And to me this is Jennifer Lopez right here. It's 4 in the morning. Too much to drink. So, Nationals: Jennifer Lopez to me."
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Damn, how wrong is that? How TRUE is that?

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Anyone else catch USA vs Puerto Rico last night? What a great game and a great comeback win for the US, which eliminates PR and puts USA in the semifinals. Youk hit a moonshot and David Wright had a game-winning single. We beat those Puerto Ricans like we own them...oh yeah, we do!

So far USA, Venezuela and Korea are in the semis, with Japan and Cuba (2006 winner and runner-up, respectively) playing later tonight for the last semifinal spot.

Offline Justin T

Anyone else catch USA vs Puerto Rico last night? What a great game and a great comeback win for the US, which eliminates PR and puts USA in the semifinals. Youk hit a moonshot and David Wright had a game-winning single. We beat those Puerto Ricans like we own them...oh yeah, we do!

So far USA, Venezuela and Korea are in the semis, with Japan and Cuba (2006 winner and runner-up, respectively) playing later tonight for the last semifinal spot.

I wish I could have seen it, that was one hell of a game. Great comeback win for Team USA.

Hopefully they can do well in the Semi's.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

For a combination of great ball playing and entertainment value, Dustin Pedroia is my favorite player right now.  Check out this quote about him not being able to face Japan in the WBC.

"Daisuke is lucky I'm not there," quipped Pedroia. "I'd hit a line drive right off his back, and you guys can put that in your paper. I would hit him right in his back. He better hope the Red Sox don't trade him."

Friggin' hysterical, the most entertaining Napoleon complex in the world.  I also love the story how in '07, when the Red Sox were playing the Giants, Pedroia went up to Barry Bonds and said, "I'm sorry for breaking all your records at ASU."

[youtube=425,350]F5b9YdMbG1I[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]7QGqQIlRibY[/youtube]

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Congrats to Japan on winning the WBC again. If the US had this countries best players (and gave a shit) I'm sure the outcome would have been different.

Offline metaldams

Amazing we've gone into May without any baseball discussion.

Anybody else following Zack Greinke?  As somebody who also has bouts with depression and social anxiety, I find his story totally inspiring. 

6 - 0 0.40 ERA

WOW!

I think I'm going to make it a point to watch his next start on Saturday night.
- Doug Sarnecky