Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The 2009 Baseball Thread

metaldams · 146 · 34613

Offline metaldams

Congratulations to the Phillies!  Lidge striking out Hinske closes the book on the 2008 season, so from this point on, any off-season trades and free agent signings effect the 2009 season, therefore, it's time for a new thread.  Hot stove discussion begins here, and this thread ends with the 2009 World Series.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
ESPN is reporting that former Oakland manager Ken Macha will be the new manager of the Milwaukee Brewers. A smart choice in my opinion, although I wouldn't have gotten rid of Ned Yost in the first place. Now let's see how many of their key players they can keep.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Royals get Mike Jacobs from the Marlins for Leo Nunez.  The Marlins have plenty of young power hitters and the Royals could use some help in that department.  I don't know much about the Marlins bullpen, but it sounds like Nunez should be a good pick up as well.

In the most important baseball news of the past week, the Red Sox have claimed Virgil Vasquez from the Tigers.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I thought the Jacobs move was shitty on the Marlins part. They have prospects that aren't ready for the majors, not someone who can step in for Jacobs right away. It was a classic case of "this guy got to be too good of a player and we're cheap so let's get rid of him". On top of that he gets traded to the Royals, who will need a lot more to even think of competing. Good move for Kansas City, bad move for Jacobs and the Fish.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Lefty

If it helps the Phillies, that's fine with me.  :)  That was a great championship parade to watch yesterday on TV, and I was nowhere near that mob scene.  With so many people absent from the bowling alley, I wonder how much of a percentage was out because of Halloween or for the parade.  I can hardly wait till 2036 for the Phillies' next championship -- that's based on them only winning during my lifetime when Leap Year Day is a Friday.  Yeah, I think it's time to try another calendar pattern.

Son of Afa Dollah

Hi guys!

Okay, I need some help; I guess I'll post here since I can't start new topics. I was unable to login under Afa Dollah with my old password, and I'm not receiving the emails about my password, I keep getting an "invalid activation code" when I tried to change it. Anyway, I had to re-register so I was wondering why the old password and user ID aren't usable. I'd sort of like to be just Afa Dollah, is there a way to reopen that account? Oh, and that's not the avatar I selected. I seem to be having a bunch of problems....sorry about that.....

xraffle

Hi guys!

Okay, I need some help; I guess I'll post here since I can't start new topics. I was unable to login under Afa Dollah with my old password, and I'm not receiving the emails about my password, I keep getting an "invalid activation code" when I tried to change it. Anyway, I had to re-register so I was wondering why the old password and user ID aren't usable. I'd sort of like to be just Afa Dollah, is there a way to reopen that account? Oh, and that's not the avatar I selected. I seem to be having a bunch of problems....sorry about that.....

Post that here: http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=778.0

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Hi guys!

I'm on it...

Offline metaldams

I'm offline a few days and I come back to Afa!  'Bout time, welcome back.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

rotoworld.com

"According to the Boston Herald, agent Scott Boras said Tuesday that Jorge Posada's four-year, $52.4 million contract "will serve as a benchmark for any team looking to land" Jason Varitek."

Just sayin'.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Tek will not get that kind of money after having a down offensive year. What I'm wondering is will any other team be stupid enough to top the Dodgers' offer to Manny?

Offline metaldams

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081110&content_id=3673065&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

The Oakland A's are close to acquiring left fielder Matt Holliday from the Colorado Rockies, a baseball source told MLB.com.
Though the source said the "talks are fluid," the Rockies would net three players in the deal: closer Huston Street, outfielder Carlos Gonzalez and left-handed pitcher Greg Smith.

Gonzalez and Smith were obtained from Arizona last offseason in the deal that sent Dan Haren to the Diamondbacks. The Rockies needed the right-handed Street because of the inevitability of losing left-handed reliever Brian Fuentes on the free-agent market this offseason.

Holliday, a National League MVP candidate on the 2007 pennant-winning Rockies, is slated to earn $13.5 million this season and can become a free agent after the 2009 World Series. Prior to the start of this past season, the Rockies offered Holliday an $85 million deal over five years that included four years guaranteed at $65 million.

But Holliday, who is a client of agent Scott Boras, turned down the offer.

Holliday was in Dana Point, Calif., last week at the General Managers Meetings to visit with Boras, whose current free-agent clients include Manny Ramirez, Derek Lowe, Jason Varitek and Oliver Perez.

Holliday had a banner year in 2007 when the Rockies were swept by the Red Sox in their first trip to the World Series. He batted .340 with 36 homers and 137 RBIs in 158 games and scored the winning run in the 13th inning of the one-game playoff for the NL's Wild Card berth that sent Colorado into the playoffs for only the second time.

Last season, the Rockies slumped to a third-place finish behind the NL West-winning Dodgers, and Holliday, nursing a left hamstring injury, played in only 139 games, hitting .321 with 25 homers and 88 RBIs.

Holliday's high salary would be a departure for the economically conscious A's, but renting a player for one year prior to free agency would fit right into their philosophy.

Street was the American League's Rookie of the Year in 2005 and has saved 98 games in his four seasons, including a career high of 37 in 2006. But he fell out of favor last season in Oakland and was replaced in the closer's role by Brad Ziegler, who was 3-0 with a 1.06 ERA and 11 saves in 13 opportunities after he was called up in late May. Ziegler set a Major League Baseball record by opening his career with 39 1/3 scoreless innings.

Smith was 7-16 with a 4.16 ERA in 32 starts. Gonzalez, considered to be one of the top prospects in the Arizona organization at the time he was traded for Haren, bounced back and forth from Oakland to Triple-A Sacramento. He hit .242 with four homers and 26 RBIs in 85 games for the A‚s and .283 with fours homers and 28 RBIs in 46 games for Sacramento
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Stooges#1

This is my first (apart from a few posts in the 08 thread to find a team to support) venture on a Baseball topic. I hope my Cubs (can i call them "my" yet?) do well in the upcoming season.

I hope to chat to you all about the season and i'll promise not to intrude too much or i'll try not look foolish doing it.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081110&content_id=3673065&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

The Oakland A's are close to acquiring left fielder Matt Holliday from the Colorado Rockies, a baseball source told MLB.com.
Though the source said the "talks are fluid," the Rockies would net three players in the deal: closer Huston Street, outfielder Carlos Gonzalez and left-handed pitcher Greg Smith.

Gonzalez and Smith were obtained from Arizona last offseason in the deal that sent Dan Haren to the Diamondbacks. The Rockies needed the right-handed Street because of the inevitability of losing left-handed reliever Brian Fuentes on the free-agent market this offseason.

Holliday, a National League MVP candidate on the 2007 pennant-winning Rockies, is slated to earn $13.5 million this season and can become a free agent after the 2009 World Series. Prior to the start of this past season, the Rockies offered Holliday an $85 million deal over five years that included four years guaranteed at $65 million.

But Holliday, who is a client of agent Scott Boras, turned down the offer.

Holliday was in Dana Point, Calif., last week at the General Managers Meetings to visit with Boras, whose current free-agent clients include Manny Ramirez, Derek Lowe, Jason Varitek and Oliver Perez.

Holliday had a banner year in 2007 when the Rockies were swept by the Red Sox in their first trip to the World Series. He batted .340 with 36 homers and 137 RBIs in 158 games and scored the winning run in the 13th inning of the one-game playoff for the NL's Wild Card berth that sent Colorado into the playoffs for only the second time.

Last season, the Rockies slumped to a third-place finish behind the NL West-winning Dodgers, and Holliday, nursing a left hamstring injury, played in only 139 games, hitting .321 with 25 homers and 88 RBIs.

Holliday's high salary would be a departure for the economically conscious A's, but renting a player for one year prior to free agency would fit right into their philosophy.

Street was the American League's Rookie of the Year in 2005 and has saved 98 games in his four seasons, including a career high of 37 in 2006. But he fell out of favor last season in Oakland and was replaced in the closer's role by Brad Ziegler, who was 3-0 with a 1.06 ERA and 11 saves in 13 opportunities after he was called up in late May. Ziegler set a Major League Baseball record by opening his career with 39 1/3 scoreless innings.

Smith was 7-16 with a 4.16 ERA in 32 starts. Gonzalez, considered to be one of the top prospects in the Arizona organization at the time he was traded for Haren, bounced back and forth from Oakland to Triple-A Sacramento. He hit .242 with four homers and 26 RBIs in 85 games for the A‚s and .283 with fours homers and 28 RBIs in 46 games for Sacramento

Can we say "rental"? If this goes through there is no way in hell Oakland resigns him.

Offline Lefty

As long as the Phillies don't trade for Holliday, that will be good.  You know he won't sign with anyone until he becomes a free agent, so why would the Phillies want to give up any decent player for him?  After what Snot Bore-ass did to the Phillies with J.D. Screw, and Kyle Lose, 'nuff said, even though Holliday hits well in two parks -- ours and the Rockies'.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
As long as the Phillies don't trade for Holliday, that will be good.  You know he won't sign with anyone until he becomes a free agent, so why would the Phillies want to give up any decent player for him?  After what Snot Bore-ass did to the Phillies with J.D. Screw, and Kyle Lose, 'nuff said, even though Holliday hits well in two parks -- ours and the Rockies'.

I have to reiterate that the Phillies were told not to draft JD Drew because they most likely wouldn't be able to match his price. They did draft him, and wouldn't match his price so he didn't sign. The Phillies were told this beforehand so they screwed themselves on that deal.

Offline metaldams

Holliday's definitely a rental, I agree.  I can't picture a long-term deal for him in Oakland, and it seems like they gave up a lot to get him.  Makes no sense.

As far as J.D. Drew and the Phillies, I think Red Sox fans have gotten over Johnny Damon quicker, and that situation was both more recent and worse.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

True, the Phillies should not have drafted Drew.  But the difference between him and Damon is that Damon was a legitimate free agent who could go anywhere.  Unfortunately, it was to the Yankees.  But Drew was to be Phillies' property.  I'm sure he would not have signed with any team that picked him except for the big spenders.  What baseball needs for the draft is that the team drafting a player gets to keep his rights until he's 21, or 2 years after graduating from college, whichever is later, "except February, which has 28."  Or at least whatever is best for the Phillies.   ::)

Offline JazzBill

Can someone explain this to me ? How the hell did Lou Piniella win manager of year in the NL this year ? He took a team that was picked to go to the World Series and and got swept in three games in the first round of the play-offs. I guess Charlie Manuel would of had to come out of nowhere and win the World Series in order to win manager of the year. Oh wait a minute, he did.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Lefty

The awards (Manager of the year, Rookie, Cy Young, etc.) are voted on following the regular season, so the writers can't base things on the playoffs.  I do agree that Piniella managed a team that was already good, and as a Phillies' fan, my vote would have been for Manuel (and Lidge for Cy Young), but that's the way the ice cube crumbles.  And how did Dale Sveum get 3rd-place votes for being on the job only 2 weeks?  As the late Richie Ashburn said so many times to Harry Kalas, "Hard to believe, Harry!"

Offline JazzBill

The awards (Manager of the year, Rookie, Cy Young, etc.) are voted on following the regular season, so the writers can't base things on the playoffs. 

Thats right, I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I would be remiss if I didn't mention Dustin Pedroia winning the 2008 AL MVP award. I always find it refreshing when someone other than slugger wins the award...and seeing as though slugging was down all around this past season it was a prime time for it. Also congrats to fellow Red Sox infielder Kevin Youkilis for finishing third in the voting.

Offline metaldams

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Dustin Pedroia winning the 2008 AL MVP award. I always find it refreshing when someone other than slugger wins the award...and seeing as though slugging was down all around this past season it was a prime time for it. Also congrats to fellow Red Sox infielder Kevin Youkilis for finishing third in the voting.

His ego will go through the roof now, bless his heart.  Can't wait to read the new quotes!

Well dererved too, he's a hell of a ball player.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Per Rotoworld

"Sports Radio 810 WHB in Kansas City reports that the Red Sox have traded Coco Crisp to the Royals in exchange for Ramon Ramirez.
Former Royals outfielder Brian McRae broke the story, which hasn't been confirmed elsewhere. Ramirez had an excellent rookie year for the Rockies in 2006 before struggling in 2007, but bounced back following a trade to the Royals last season, posting a 2.64 ERA and 70/31 K/BB ratio in 71 2/3 innings. Dealing for Crisp would leave the Royals with a very crowded outfield and could indicate that the team is on the verge of dealing Mark Teahen or David DeJesus."

If true, Coco was a good fourth outfielder last season, and I'll miss the guy's glove.  With the bat, he'd have the occasional hot streak, but was more often than not one of the reasons why we couldn't depend on the bottom of the order to drive in a run these past few years.  Supposed to be the successor to Johnny Damon, he turned out to be merely a good utility guy.  I wish him all the luck in KC.

Favorite Coco moments:  Too many great catches to name, and the game tying triple against Mariano, after which he "hulks up."

As for Ramon Ramirez, it sounds like he could be good when on, but like most relievers, are very hard to predict.  He's right handed, so perhaps he'll take over the Timlin role?  Or maybe Masterson role if Masterson is in the rotation?  Who knows?  Depends on how good this guys is and what they plan for Masterson, obviously.

Coco PS:  Like I said in a previous post, he came up gold whenever I was at the park.  Game winning 8th inning hit against Baltimore in '07 and a two run blast off Jamie Moyer in '08.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The Red Sox website is reporting it too so it's legit. I'd give a slight edge to the Sox as far as this deal is concerned because they addressed a need while KC doesn't really "need" another OF but getting Coco on your team is always nice. As you said it looks like KC is going to deal one of their OFs anyway.

A couple of interesting tidbits from MLB.com indicate that the Sox and Yanks could be in a bidding war AJ Burnett and/or Derek Lowe and that the Washington Nationals of all teams could be major player in the Mark Teixeira sweepstakes. No that wasn't a typo, I said the Washington Nationals.