Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ask Team Stooge **NEWBIES**

shemps#1 · 1290 · 332722

Offline Stoop

Don’t be mad StoogeHube, my dad does the same thing as you, he always calls the shorts  something other than the actual name.Which is fine by me. And the only reason that my friends seem to know the name of that short (and a few others) is because I slap them upside the head every time they say “that doctor one”. . . Which makes me wonder why they still put up with me.  ???
It takes an estimated 2,893 licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop.

Pilsner Panther

xraffle: Yeesh. I'm 40 yrs. old and married w/children, FWIW. I'm definitely not a "newbie." I've been watching the Stooges probably longer than any of you. Sorry if I haven't memorized all the episode names. My friends and I usually refer to the episodes as the "golfing one," "the icemen," "the plumbers," or in this case, "Brighto." Still, considering how long I've been watching the Stooges, I could probably recite more dialogue and note more episode nuances than most of you, too.

But if this is gonna be a typical geekish, arrogant fanboy-type hang-out, I'll be sure not to post here anymore.

No, that's exactly what we don't want it to be. You'll notice that a couple of the senior members (FineBari 3 and yours truly), stepped right in when things seemed to be going in that direction. This is a quality board (a dozen or so people have worked on that), everyone is welcome, and I'm sorry you got some replies that put you off.

We're trying to increase the appreciation of the Stooges, not drive people away— and you've got my personal word on that.

xraffle

xraffle: Yeesh. I'm 40 yrs. old and married w/children, FWIW. I'm definitely not a "newbie." I've been watching the Stooges probably longer than any of you. Sorry if I haven't memorized all the episode names. My friends and I usually refer to the episodes as the "golfing one," "the icemen," "the plumbers," or in this case, "Brighto." Still, considering how long I've been watching the Stooges, I could probably recite more dialogue and note more episode nuances than most of you, too.

But if this is gonna be a typical geekish, arrogant fanboy-type hang-out, I'll be sure not to post here anymore.

I apologize if my statement offended you. I never meant for it to chase you away. It was just a comment that was never meant to be taken personally. Relax, I never try to be a bad person. If you want, I can edit out that comment if it really bothers you. And again, my sincerest apology.

Offline FineBari3

I can certainly understand what you you mean by the arrogance and geeky behavior. If one has ever visited many newsboards, you certainly know what its like.  [nuts]

One of my other passions is drum and bugle corps. I really dont go on the usenet anymore, but that group got really bad, but I started in that group in 1991!  Lots of geeks there.....

Oh, thanks for the nice mention of me in the above post, Pils!   :angel4:
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Pilsner Panther

I can certainly understand what you you mean by the arrogance and geeky behavior. If one has ever visited many newsboards, you certainly know what its like.  [nuts]

One of my other passions is drum and bugle corps. I really dont go on the usenet anymore, but that group got really bad, but I started in that group in 1991!  Lots of geeks there.....

Oh, thanks for the nice mention of me in the above post, Pils!   :angel4:

You're welcome, MJ... but "I'm no angel," to quote Mae West. Here's what happens to posters who misbehave:

[attachment deleted by admin]

StoogeHube

I apologize if my statement offended you. I never meant for it to chase you away. It was just a comment that was never meant to be taken personally. Relax, I never try to be a bad person. If you want, I can edit out that comment if it really bothers you. And again, my sincerest apology.

No need, xraffle. I'm not that thin-skinned. I just got a bad first impression, that's all. Thanks for the apology, and thanks, too, Pilsner, for the explanatory post!   8)

(I write this, BTW, while the "rocket fuel one with Shemp" -- "There's no mistaking that magnificent head of hair!" -- is on the tube. What's the title of this one?   ;)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
(I write this, BTW, while the "rocket fuel one with Shemp" -- "There's no mistaking that magnificent head of hair!" -- is on the tube. What's the title of this one?   ;)

That's either "Fuelin' Around" (1949) or its remake, "Hot Stuff" (1956).

Offline onescotty

Hi I'm a knucklehead here in Scotland, and I want to get a DVD of the stooges as a present for myself. It's hard to get a hold of DVD's of them here, so if I was going to get ONE what one should I buy?

I'm a big fan of curly's films.

Thanks

billy

Offline Baggie

There aren't many DVDs on sale over here. You will have to get a multi-region DVD player and buy Region 1 DVDs. The only Region 2 Stooge DVDs are the Early Years series with Ted Healy shorts, and a couple of Shemp shorts. If you look on E-Bay you can get DVDs from Australia with about 12 shorts on each, they play on UK players. That's how I started out. I also recommend you buy videos from the US.
 As it happens I am selling off all my Stooges stuff, including 4 Aussie DVDs and loads of videos. I'll post you the links when I've put them on E-Bay if you want. (I'm selling my stuff because I now have a multi-region DVD player and am buying all 190 shorts from someone else - therefore I don't need all my old collection any more.)
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline onescotty

Yeah I might be interested in buying a dvd, thanks a lot. I'll look for the link.

billy

Offline Baggie

OK, no worries, I'll post the links when I put them on later today.

P.S - Whereabouts in Scotland are you from? Hows the weather up there cos it's boiling down here at minute!
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline Hogeboom

We were getting so many trolls here (including the one who kept coming back over and over again under different names) that we had to put a restriction on new members posting new topics. After some discussion about it, Dunrobin, shemps#1 and I finally settled on ten posts before a member can submit a new topic.

This gives us a chance to understand what a person's motives are— whether they're all right and they're real Stooges fans, or whether they're just here to make trouble and disrupt the boards. It's a reasonable rule, don't you think? Stay with us; I'm sure you'll be okay to post new topics soon enough (you've only got eight more posts to go).

Ah, okay.  I'm not a troll and I'm not looking to cause trouble.  I'm just a curious Stooges fan, that's all.  :)

Offline McSnuff20

I am disappointed that my book, Moe Howard and the 3 Stooges could be printed with so many goofs.  They show many stills from some of their great shorts and they are named wrongly.  For a still from "Saved by the Belle"  with the horse that slept under a lumber pile they list as Playing the Ponies.  When they are all in a bathtub from "Gents without Cents" they say it's A Plumbing We Will Go.  Another is a shot in the apartment in Paris from Wee, Wee Monsieur and they call it "Pop Goes the Easel." There is another still from Half-Shot Shooters looking at Vernon Dent's chicken dinner and they say it's from Slippery Silks.  So who can you trust? Everyone knows in Slippery Silks they were employed as furniture designers at the start, they weren't down and out as in Half-Shot Shooters.

Offline pianolady

Get Busy, I don't know if this is true, and it isn't an answer to your question, but I read in Gene Kelly's bio that Donald O'Connor asked for Curly's permission to spin on the floor for "Make 'Em Laugh" number in "Singin' in the Rain".

Offline ZEKE

Hello STOOGE fans!!
I'm newbie ZEKE from the G.T.A. in CANADA.
1. How do I get on the Member Map???
2. Am I right saying CURLY'S last STOOGE spisode was
    'Half-Wits Holiday'??
ZEKE---in AJAX-(G.T.A.), Canada.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Hello STOOGE fans!!
I'm newbie ZEKE from the G.T.A. in CANADA.
1. How do I get on the Member Map???
2. Am I right saying CURLY'S last STOOGE spisode was
    'Half-Wits Holiday'??

Welcome Zeke.

(1) First, you need to be a member and logged in.  Then click on the Member Map button, and when the page loads click on "Place Your Pin".  When that page loads, you can use the pulldown menu in the center of the page to navigate to the regiional map that's most appropriate (in your case, obviously, "Canada.")

When you move your mouse over the map, the cursor should change to a "cross-hairs" style.  Just click on your location on the map to place your pin, then click on the "Save My Pin" button.  (You can enter your city, province and country in the form fields, if you choose, before clicking on "Save My Pin."

(2) Yes, it was.  Curly had a stroke on the set of Half-Wits' Holiday, and that ended his career (outside of a cameo appearance in the Shemp short, Hold That Lion.)

I thought I was fairly well informed on Canada, but I've got to admit that you've got me stumped.  What is "the G.T.A. in Canada"?

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
My educated guess would be "Greater Toronto Area".
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
My educated guess would be "Greater Toronto Area".

Well, that makes sense.  Oh sure - be logical!  LOL
  ;D

Spud

Nice forum!  I stumbled upon it while looking for graphics and sound clips of the stooges to use in a project I'm working on.  Hope you don't mind that I snitched a few of your avatars to use in it.

I notice that the software used in this forum appears to support Flash movies in it's messages (there's a Flash button in the control panel), so you might be interested in the current project I'm working on...I call them "Audio Smiles" , they work similar to regular smiles, but they play a sound when you click on them.  They can also be used as mini-banners on web pages.  Check out my download page at www.algraff.com to see what's currently available.  I've got a lot of generic ones with sound effects plus some with specific themes such as Barney Fife, Valley Girls, Star Wars, etc.  Oh, yeah, they're free, so download as many as you like.

Anyway, I'm planning to make up a few using sound clips of the stooges.  I'll probably have them ready for download in a week or two.

Couldn't figure out how to incorporate a flash movie in this message...not familiar with the SMF software, but if you click on the link below you should be able to try out one of my latest audio smiles from Charlie and The Chocolate Factory.  It normally displays in a message at around 100 x 100 pixels, not full screen...don't know what's going on with that ???  Oh, you need the Flash plugin to view Flash movies...but you probably knew that already.

http://www.algraff.com/smiles/InTheFridge.swf

Offline ZEKE

DUNROBIN,
 Your guess is correct, G.T.A. does stand for GREATER TORONTO AREA.
I actually live in the town of Ajax on the east side of the G.T.A.
Thanks for the bit of membership (map) info.
   Talk at ya later,

ZEKE in CANADA   ;D

Offline ZEKE

DUNROBIN.

I'm officially in, thanx for your aid, in time, I"m sure my "Newbie" status will disipate.
I would like to add my apreciation on finding the most well run STOOGE site
so far, very professional and well kept/run, good work.

Spud

Just an update on the stooges "Audio Smiles" I mentioned in an earlier message.  Here's a link to a sample of what I'm doing...this one is a remix using a lot of the sound effects from several different films. It's about 27 seconds or so in length and includes sounds from all of the stooges except Joe...I think. The rest of the pack will probably be individual sound bytes instead of mixes.  I'd be interested in hearing any comments... :)

http://www.sunshine-church.org/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b=CS,m=1088371253,s=53,#num52

ShempThePimp

Hi iam new to the message board and i have a quection about  The Three Stooges movie Gold Raiders has Been released on VHS or DVD ,or dose any one know were I can get a copy of it thanks

xraffle

Hi iam new to the message board and i have a quection about  The Three Stooges movie Gold Raiders has Been released on VHS or DVD ,or dose any one know were I can get a copy of it thanks

'Gold Raiders' has never been released on VHS/DVD. I wish it was released so I can see it. The movie is very rare.