Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ask Team Stooge **NEWBIES**

shemps#1 · 1290 · 332598

ShempThePimp

Thanks for the info on Gold Raiders xraffle ,I found a copy of it on on ebay  ,But I just found out that there was another Three Stooges cartoon called The Robonic                 Stooges ,dose any one have any info on this ,or know if I get these cartoons any were thanks
 Please watch your typing, spelling, and grammar (they're all very poor). We care about those things here!

xraffle

Thanks for the info on Gold Raiders xraffle ,I found a copy of it on on ebay  ,But I just found out that there was another Three Stooges cartoon called The Robonic                 Stooges ,dose any one have any info on this ,or know if I get these cartoons any were thanks

Yeah, there are bootleg copies of 'Gold Raiders' being sold on ebay.

Offline FineBari3

DUNROBIN.

I'm officially in, thanx for your aid, in time, I"m sure my "Newbie" status will disipate.
I would like to add my apreciation on finding the most well run STOOGE site
so far, very professional and well kept/run, good work.

Yeah, but just WAIT!!!!! LOL :D
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline kfdodgerfan

Hi,

I was wondering if "Hold that Lion" was on DVD?

Thanks. I'd like to see Curly in that episode.

KF

xraffle

No, "Hold That Lion" is not on DVD. If you want to know if an episode is on DVD, click on the pulldown menu above that says 'Jump To Episode.' Click on the desired episode and there will be a link if that episode is on DVD or VHS. You can also visit the 'Videography' section and there is a list of all the VHS and DVDs of the stooges.

Offline kfdodgerfan

There's a famous "Curly dropping the cracker in the clam chowder bowl of soup" scene. Can you please tell me what episode that is?

Thanks.

KF

Offline kfdodgerfan

I remember back in about 1976 or so...Moe did an interview that aired on PBS. He was shade of his former self and had completely gray hair and was slow to speak. I was only 9 at the time but remember the interview very well. He died very shortly after that.

Does anyone know of this interview and if it can be viewed anywhere?

Thanks.

KF

xraffle

There's a famous "Curly dropping the cracker in the clam chowder bowl of soup" scene. Can you please tell me what episode that is?

Thanks.

KF

That episode was "Dutiful But Dumb" and it was actually Oyster Stew, not Clam Chowder.

Offline kfdodgerfan

There's a funny sound effect when Curly snaps all five fingers under his chin. It sounds like marbles dropping into water. But does anyone know what sound FX this is?

Thanks.

KF

Pilsner Panther

Thanks.

KF

That episode was "Dutiful But Dumb" and it was actually Oyster Stew, not Clam Chowder.

A bit of film history trivia: this routine first appeared on film in the 1926 silent comedy "Wandering Willies," starring Billy Bevan and Andy Clyde. I'm sure it's no coincidence that this two-reeler was directed by Del Lord!

It's Billy Bevan (a Charlie Chaplin lookalike) who does battle with the oyster here, and the routine is almost exactly the same— except that at the end, he smashes the soup bowl with a cane, instead of shooting it like Curly does.

xraffle

There's a funny sound effect when Curly snaps all five fingers under his chin. It sounds like marbles dropping into water. But does anyone know what sound FX this is?

Thanks.

KF

If you're asking for the name of it, I don't know. I don't think there were any names of their sound effects.

Offline Billybagobagels

• Porcupine
  • Grapehead
  • "Dr. Windbag, I presume?"
    • Welcome To Baby Champ!
I remember back in about 1976 or so...Moe did an interview that aired on PBS. He was shade of his former self and had completely gray hair and was slow to speak. I was only 9 at the time but remember the interview very well. He died very shortly after that.

Thanks.

KF

Don't remember this one, but I could be wrong.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Mike Douglas shows he was a guest on around the same time?

Pilsner Panther

Thanks.

KF

If you're asking for the name of it, I don't know. I don't think there were any names of their sound effects.

I don't know how Columbia classified their sound effects, whether by name or by number, but here's a little background on how sound effects were preserved and employed in the era before magnetic tape (which came in just after World War II).

Frequently-used sound effects were recorded on small reels of 35 or 16mm film, by the same optical method that was used for the main film soundtracks. The illustration here shows a piece of 35mm film, with a closeup of the soundtrack. A sound effects reel would have only the soundtrack on it, and no pictures. So, in the case of a sound effect that was used often— like, let's say, the Stooges eye-poke or head-bonk— all the sound editor had to do was take this short length of film (maybe only one or two feet) and mix it into the final production track.

I'm not going to go into how optical sound recording worked, because it's way too complicated to explain, and besides, it's ancient, outmoded technology.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 03:31:27 PM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline kfdodgerfan

Perhaps that was it. All I know is that before the time of VCRs we specifically remembered to watch the interview. I remember the picture being not so clear and that's why I think it was PBS. Any chance that Mike Douglas interview is around anywhere?

Thanks.

KF

Thanks.

KF

Don't remember this one, but I could be wrong.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Mike Douglas shows he was a guest on around the same time?

Offline Billybagobagels

• Porcupine
  • Grapehead
    • Welcome To Baby Champ!
Check out the website:  http://web2.airmail.net/willdogs/

There's a photo down the page. Is this the interview you're thinking of?

Offline kfdodgerfan

Yeah. I do think that was it. I remember the glasses now. I wonder if there's a place where I can see that again.

Offline kfdodgerfan

I can't remember the episode but my favorite Moe clip where I think Larry has a shovel and and he's digging up, I think, lost gold.

Anyway, in classic stooge fashion, Moe gets poked and does the "follow with the eyes" routine with the handle of the shovel as Larry digs for the gold.

I am sorry for the lame description but I was wonder if anyone knew of this clip/episode.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I can't remember the episode but my favorite Moe clip where I think Larry has a shovel and and he's digging up, I think, lost gold.

Anyway, in classic stooge fashion, Moe gets poked and does the "follow with the eyes" routine with the handle of the shovel as Larry digs for the gold.

I am sorry for the lame description but I was wonder if anyone knew of this clip/episode.

We're they outdoors or indoors?  First thing that came to mind was Cash and Carry, but I'm not positive that's the episode you're thinking of.

xraffle

We're they outdoors or indoors?  First thing that came to mind was Cash and Carry, but I'm not positive that's the episode you're thinking of.

He could also be talking about "Cactus Makes Perfect."

Offline kfdodgerfan

I will check both out. The funniest part of that bit was the look of frustration Moe gave to Larry. His eyes looked like evil opals.

He could also be talking about "Cactus Makes Perfect."

Offline kfdodgerfan

Shemp has a great line in one episode.

Shemp: "Those are fighting words in my country"

Thug: "OK Lets fight"

Shemp: "Well it's not my country."

Anyone know what episode this is?

Thanks.
KF

xraffle

That episode is "Hold That Lion." Shemp says that to Mr. Slipp.

Offline Billybagobagels

• Porcupine
  • Grapehead
    • Welcome To Baby Champ!
Yeah. I do think that was it. I remember the glasses now. I wonder if there's a place where I can see that again.

There's two ways I know of, although there may be more:

1. Check out the Complete Stooges DVD set thread on these boards. The last volume of the set contains the Moe Howard spots on the Mike Douglas show.

2. Go to www.mikedouglasshow.com and order the Moe Howard tapes. They're might think you are a filmmaker doing a documentary and want to talk about royalties, but I think you can just order the tapes. No idea of the cost, though.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 05:30:49 PM by Billybagobagels »

xraffle

There's two ways I know of, although there may be more:

1. Check out the Complete Stooges DVD set thread on these boards. The last volume of the set contains the Moe Howard spots on the Mike Douglas show.

2. Go to www.mikedouglasshow.com and order the Moe Howard tapes. They're might think you are a filmmaker doing a documentary and want to talk about royalties, but I think you can just order the tapes. No idea of the cost, though.

That's too bad that I can't see that Mike Douglas show with Moe Howard. I would've been interesting to see it. I didn't get that last volume on the Complete Stooges DVD set. I only got the 40 DVDs with shorts.

Offline Billybagobagels

• Porcupine
  • Grapehead
    • Welcome To Baby Champ!
Yeah.

I received a 41st DVD that contained the original A and E Stooges biography as well as the Mike Douglas Show spots with Moe Howard.