Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ask Team Stooge **NEWBIES**

shemps#1 · 1290 · 336490

Offline alex1

Grazie, Signor Spumoni. I will go ahead and ask over there as I am really desperate for an answer to this question. I wish I could post in the main discussion board here, as there might be someone knowledgeable enough to answer but the 10 post requirement prevents me from doing it. Perhaps a moderator can help., in any way to spread my word.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Grazie, Signor Spumoni. I will go ahead and ask over there as I am really desperate for an answer to this question. I wish I could post in the main discussion board here, as there might be someone knowledgeable enough to answer but the 10 post requirement prevents me from doing it. Perhaps a moderator can help., in any way to spread my word.

This fellow is very knowledgeable about old-time cinema and about Vaudeville.  In fact, he wrote a book about V'ville, which he pitches at the end of this post on Donna Damerel.  I visit this blog because I am a fan of old-time cinema and also V'ville.  You might find his book in the library, but - - if I were you - - I'd try posting a comment on his blog and asking him.  Caution:  he says he doesn't always answer posts because his blog is for the purpose of promoting his own works.

https://travsd.wordpress.com/2014/01/07/stars-of-vaudeville-854-myrtle-vail/

Good luck on finding your answer.  I'm afraid I'm out of suggestions for you.

Offline alex1

Thank you for putting in the time to help. I think that this film is too obscure for anyone to know anything I'm afraid.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Thank you for putting in the time to help. I think that this film is too obscure for anyone to know anything I'm afraid.

I'm sorry I couldn't answer your question.  You already know how it was with movie records, sometimes - - not everyone was credited for the work he did, even skilled work such as dancing for an actress.  So maybe there is no record of who performed that dance in "Myrt and Marge."  I was surprised, when reading cast lists of old movies, to see that names were sometimes omitted or that wrong names were sometimes included.  I would have guessed that flawless records were kept - - but I'd have been wrong.

I was hoping that Nitrateville was going to work out for you.  There must be other blogs and fan sites.  Perhaps there's a yahoo group which would know.  The only one I'm aware of is called Studio Backlots, and they concentrate on the studio lots and sets. 

Good luck, Alex 1.  I hope you can find the answer, or find a way to write about it so that it's obvious that you tried.

Offline alex1

Indeed, not crediting all actors was common back than and it is common now, especially for minor parts. There are a few actors that were not credited in Myrt and Marge, and I noticed that during my first viewing. Nevertheless, I am not saying that the actress herself did not perform in the scene. I am merely trying to confirm, so I'll keep looking. I am trying to get in touch with other researchers in academia who might know anything. Research can be tremendously frustrating at times, especially when faced with dead-ends. Thank you for your time.

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

Do not know if you guys could help me with this, but could somebody please tell me how to log in to your account through the home page of thethreestooges.net and typing fan reviews? I want to do some of those, but I can't really do them because I don't know how to.
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Do not know if you guys could help me with this, but could somebody please tell me how to log in to your account through the home page of thethreestooges.net and typing fan reviews? I want to do some of those, but I can't really do them because I don't know how to.

Maybe Dunrobin could explain this better, but I believe the "log-in" function for the main site was disabled after someone hacked the site...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

Maybe Dunrobin could explain this better, but I believe the "log-in" function for the main site was disabled after someone hacked the site...
Oh..
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline seven2nds

Hi.  This is a great jumping off point for new members.  I have a question regarding locations.  Is there a thread or site that has Stooges shooting locations? Even better would be then and now shots.  Any assistance would be appreciated. Love the Stooges!  Thanks.
.g.
Niagara Falls

Offline Squirrelbait

Hi.  This is a great jumping off point for new members.  I have a question regarding locations.  Is there a thread or site that has Stooges shooting locations? Even better would be then and now shots.  Any assistance would be appreciated. Love the Stooges!  Thanks.

Not 100% sure if you'll be able to find it on the internet or not, but there is an excellent book out there called 'The Three Stooges: Hollywood Filming Locations' that gives info on the shooting locations for all the shorts. Here's a link to the book through Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1595800700/ref%3Dasc_df_15958007002439788/%3Ftag%3Daskcom05el-20%26creative%3D394997%26creativeASIN%3D1595800700%26linkCode%3Dasn

Hope this helps!
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline Squirrelbait

Not 100% sure if you'll be able to find it on the internet or not, but there is an excellent book out there called 'The Three Stooges: Hollywood Filming Locations' that gives info on the shooting locations for all the shorts. Here's a link to the book through Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1595800700/ref%3Dasc_df_15958007002439788/%3Ftag%3Daskcom05el-20%26creative%3D394997%26creativeASIN%3D1595800700%26linkCode%3Dasn

Hope this helps!

One more thing...just for the heck of it, I typed this into Ask.com, and up came a Youtube video featuring the filming location of False Alarms, now, and as it was in the short.

Here it is:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_fFHFZWrEY#t=26
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline seven2nds

One more thing...just for the heck of it, I typed this into Ask.com, and up came a Youtube video featuring the filming location of False Alarms, now, and as it was in the short.

Here it is:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_fFHFZWrEY#t=26

Thanks!! I ordered the book.  Very much appreciate the help.
.g.
Niagara Falls

Offline Squirrelbait

Thanks!! I ordered the book.  Very much appreciate the help.

My pleasure!

Offline grousehunter

I was just watching "Ants in the Pantry".  Moe has a line - "You have a head like Napoleon".  That line or variants are used in other shorts.

Is there some significance to that I'm missing?  When Moe delivers the line it seems "showcased", like it's expected to get a big laugh.  Was there some reason it would have been funnier at that time?  When I hear it, I feel like I'm missing something.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
A Napoleon is a creamy desert made out of puff pastry.  It's not so popular stateside anymore, but it used to be a popular dessert food.  There are variants in most every European country.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline steelcityspin

Hi, guys.  I'm fairly young and new to the Three Stooges... but from what I've seen I love them!  With the holidays coming up, do you happen to know if there are any Thanksgiving or Christmas related shorts / episodes?  I was interested in football, too, but I've seen Three Little Pigskins already.  I'm assuming there's no others.  Anyways, please let me know.  Thanks!

Offline metaldams

Hi, guys.  I'm fairly young and new to the Three Stooges... but from what I've seen I love them!  With the holidays coming up, do you happen to know if there are any Thanksgiving or Christmas related shorts / episodes?  I was interested in football, too, but I've seen Three Little Pigskins already.  I'm assuming there's no others.  Anyways, please let me know.  Thanks!

BACK TO THE WOODS is a good Thanksgiving themed short.

http://moronika.com/forums/index.php/topic,5132.0.html

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
With the holidays coming up, do you happen to know if there are any Thanksgiving or Christmas related shorts / episodes?  I was interested in football, too, but I've seen Three Little Pigskins already.  I'm assuming there's no others. 

Football
THREE LITTLE PIGSKINS (1934)
NO CENSUS, NO FEELING (1940)

Christmas connections
WEE WEE MONSIEUR (1938)
MALICE IN THE PALACE (1949) / RUMPUS IN THE HAREM (1956)
HE COOKED HIS GOOSE (1952) / TRIPLE CROSSED (1959)

Offline Signor Spumoni

I was just watching "Ants in the Pantry".  Moe has a line - "You have a head like Napoleon".  That line or variants are used in other shorts.

Is there some significance to that I'm missing?  When Moe delivers the line it seems "showcased", like it's expected to get a big laugh.  Was there some reason it would have been funnier at that time?  When I hear it, I feel like I'm missing something.

I respect Paul Pain's interpretation of this joke.  I never thought of the dessert connection, and it's interesting.

I don't remember exactly how the joke in this short goes, but I thought it seemed similar to other jokes which are usually made by Moe.  He says, "You have a head like Napoleon."  Larry (or Curly, etc.) says, "I thought Napoleon was dead."  Moe says, "I know it."  But if this joke finishes with just the line, "You have a head like Napoleon," then Paul Pain's idea seems a better fit.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Can anyone tell me where the studio gate location was shot in "Movie Maniacs?"  Thank you.

Offline Bruce

The Dean at my University is a huge Stooges fan. He also comes from Chicago. I mentioned to him that Gary Deeb had written an article on Curly Howard for one of the Chicago newspapers back in the 1980s. I believe that the article appeared in one of the Three Stooges Journals as well. Does anyone know how I can get a copy of the article? I like to keep my Dean happy.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The Dean at my University is a huge Stooges fan. He also comes from Chicago. I mentioned to him that Gary Deeb had written an article on Curly Howard for one of the Chicago newspapers back in the 1980s. I believe that the article appeared in one of the Three Stooges Journals as well. Does anyone know how I can get a copy of the article? I like to keep my Dean happy.

Three Stooges Journal # 10 (Feb. 1981)
(from the ol' Moe Feinberg's Underwood typewriter days)

• "Stooge Fever Is Spreading With Channel 32 Help -  Chicago Sun Times  11/26/80
  • "Three Stooges:  A Trio Con Brio -  Chicago Sun Times  10/3/80

Offline Bruce

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I can see the cover, but is there a way to get the articles?

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
That's exactly what I'm looking for. I can see the cover, but is there a way to get the articles?

You have to purchase a copy.
#1 fire kibitzer