Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ask Team Stooge **NEWBIES**

shemps#1 · 1290 · 339192

Offline DougGorius

Does anybody know where I can find two tracks used in the Stooge shorts, "I Thought I Wanted You" by Archie Gottler and "Frederic March" by Howard Jackson and Raphael Penso?

Offline Rich Finegan

Does anybody know where I can find two tracks used in the Stooge shorts, "I Thought I Wanted You" by Archie Gottler and "Frederic March" by Howard Jackson and Raphael Penso?

If you mean recordings other than what's in the films, unfortunately I don't believe there ever were any. I've done extensive research on these tunes as well as many others used in The Three Stooges and other Columbia shorts and have found no evidence that these songs were ever released on records by any singers or bands back in the 1930's or at any time later. But, what a missed opportunity! They're both quality compositions and could have been popular hits. Certainly "I Though I Wanted You" has what it takes to have been a success as a hit record. And I always thought "Frederic March", although apparently written only for use as a "generic" march to be used incidentally in Columbia films, was every bit as good as many of the standard marches everyone knows by the classic composers.   

So the only way to get recordings of these two songs would be to figure out which version you like the most from a Stooges or other Columbia film in which they are heard, and record them from the film soundtrack (or of course, video or DVD, whatever you may have).

There is a Columbia short that includes the complete version of "I Thought I Wanted You" with lyrics (never heard in its three usages in Stooges shorts) but unfortunately it's a rare one and not available commercially on video, DVD or shown on TV. It's the short that the song was written for and introduced in, a "Musical Novelty" short entitled LOVE DETECTIVES (2-28-34). Betty Grable sings it in the film. The short does exist in a beautiful restored 35mm print and as of now the only way to see it is at a theatrical screening. I have been hoping and requesting for years for Columbia to release the full series of eight "Musical Novelties" shorts on DVD. As we know, only WOMAN HATERS has been available since the series was released in 1934. With The Stooges appearing in WOMAN HATERS (although already available on Stooges DVD's) and Betty Grable starring in two of them and in a co-starring role in a third I believe there would be enough commercial potential for a set of these fun musical shorts to do relatively well if Columbia/SONY would release them. And then you and other fans of the song can finally get to hear the complete original version of "I Thought I Wanted You".

Offline Moesying along

I'm  not  sure  if  anyone  ever  asked  this  before,  but  what  color  eyes  did  each  of  The  Stooges  have?

[3stooges]
Curly:  "Nyuk,  nyuk,  nyuk!"
Larry:  "I'm  sorry  Moe,  it  was  an  accident!"
Moe:  "I'll  moida  ya!  Spread  out!"
Shemp:  "Hee-beeb-beeb-beeb-beeb!"

Offline FineBari3

I'm  not  sure  if  anyone  ever  asked  this  before,  but  what  color  eyes  did  each  of  The  Stooges  have?

[3stooges]

They all had blue eyes, except for Curly Joe, who had brown. 
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Mark The Shark

Still a "newbie," so this question will go here.

I don't think I have ever seen this question addressed anywhere (or if I have, I don't remember): who actually coined the nickname "Curly-Joe" for Joe DeRita? I remember in Moe Howard's autobiography he mentions how he contemplated asking DeRita to join the Stooges, and thought with his head shaved "he would look a great deal like my brother Curly." Later, photos surfaced from some of DeRita's first appearances with the Stooges, and his head is not shaved. So I just wonder whose idea it actually was to shave DeRita's head and christen him "Curly-Joe." Or for that matter, just when that happened -- i.e. how long had he been with the Stooges at that point?

Just curious...

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I believe it was Moe who coined him Curly-Joe, but I could be wrong. You might wanna wait for Brent or someone more knowledgeable to either back me up or correct me.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
who actually coined the nickname "Curly-Joe" for Joe DeRita?

I doubt that DeRita proposed the idea... I can't see him asking to adopt the name/look of Moe's deceased brother.  Moe was the final decision maker, but in my opinion, my money is on Norman Maurer proposing the idea, and convincing Moe to ask Joe to do it.  It was a marketing decision, and that was Maurer's forte.

I don't know the timeline of DeRita's haircut.  When they began touring in late summer 1958, he had his normal hairstyle.  By the time they did the Holiday House gig in December he was shaving his head.  The Stoogeum's ongoing public appearances project may have publicity material that can assign dates to DeRita's locks (or, lack of); maybe Gary can shed some light.

ThumpTheShoes

I never quite got that joke about the salad dressing in Income Tax Sappy. Crumpet saud? Vinegar? Was Crumpanilla a joke name based on an actual product name or brand?

--Later that day--
Okay, so it's a bottle of pepper sauce. But what about that name? Faux-foreign double-talk? A play on the word "capsaicinoids"?

Offline Jake Howard

Newbie here....sort of.
I have roamed around ThreeStooges.net for years.
I have always felt that it's the best place on the net to gain knowledge of the boys.
I am 32 and have been a life long fan of the Stooges...
My Father would watch the Stooges with my Grandpa when my Dad was a kid...
I watched them with him when I was a kid and
It warms my heart to say that my 12 year old Daughter loves the Stooges MORE than Spongebob or iCarly.

I look foreward to being a long time member and talking Stooges with all of you....and like it or not-
It looks like this new Movie is going to create a lot of new Stooge fans.

One question I have just off the top of my head ....
The Song "My life My love My All" (Woman Haters)
Was that a real song or just written for the short?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The Song "My life My love My All" (Woman Haters)
Was that a real song or just written for the short?

From ThreeStooges.net's filmography entry for WOMAN HATERS (1934)...

WOMAN HATERS was the 5th entry in the "Musical Novelties" short subject series, and all music in the short comes from the first four films. "My Life, My Love, My All" has new lyrics written for WOMAN HATERS by Archie Gottler, but the music was originally titled "At Last" in a 1933 release called UMPA, music and lyrics by Gottler, Sydney Mitchell and Con Conrad. Edward Eliscu also contributed to other tunes heard in WOMAN HATERS.

See The Three Stooges Journal # 86 (Summer 1998) and # 87 (Fall 1998) for detailed background of all the music titles, origins, and composers.

Offline Signor Spumoni

I have a question about the goofs section in the reviews of the shorts.  Is one allowed to give a contrary opinion as to whether something is  genuine goof?  For example, I see where wearing overalls backward is listed as a goof when it appears to me to be merely part of the comedy, an illustration of "stoogeness."  [Or is that "stooge-ositude?"]  :)

Offline Mark The Shark

I have a question about the goofs section in the reviews of the shorts.  Is one allowed to give a contrary opinion

If not, that's not a country where I want to live!

Offline FineBari3

I have a question about the goofs section in the reviews of the shorts.  Is one allowed to give a contrary opinion as to whether something is  genuine goof?  For example, I see where wearing overalls backward is listed as a goof when it appears to me to be merely part of the comedy, an illustration of "stoogeness."  [Or is that "stooge-ositude?"]  :)

I seem to recall that goofs have to be approved.  I found a lot of them that were wrong and I think I suggested approving all goofs.  I would not call that a goofe ither.
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline CurlyShuffle

I hope this doesn't come across as disrespectful, but I'm interested in the last known pictures or video of Curly before he died.  I've seen the photos in Joan Howard's book, but it seems those are still a few years before he passed.  Does anyone know if later photos or videos exist?

Offline Jake Howard

The last video footage of Curly that I know of is in "The Family Album" DVD....

Offline Bum

I hope this doesn't come across as disrespectful, but I'm interested in the last known pictures or video of Curly before he died.  I've seen the photos in Joan Howard's book, but it seems those are still a few years before he passed.  Does anyone know if later photos or videos exist?

I remember reading years ago [on the Stooges Usenet discussion board] a posting from someone who said he knew of the existence of pictures of Curly very late in life [when he was very sick] which have never been published. If they DO exist, I'd have mixed feelings about wanting to look at them; part of me would, and part of me wouldn't. In '82 when I bought the "Three Stooges Scrapbook" book, I can remember being slightly disturbed by the pic of Curly at Joan Howard's wedding [for those who haven't seen it, he's seated and is giving the camera a strange look, like he was confused or something]. That was the first photo I had seen of Curly post-1946 [believe it or not, back then I had absolutely no idea it was Curly on the train in HOLD THAT LION]. Later, when some further photos of Curly were published in subsequent books, I realized that he didn't really look as bad as he appeared in the wedding photo. I think the latest published photo of Curly is dated 1949, which would be just before he had the stroke that started his final decline.

Actually, I'm glad this topic was brought up, because I had been wondering about it ever since I read that post from long ago. Can any of the historians confirm that these photos exist?

Offline archiezappa

I wonder if anything along these lines have ever been in the Three Stooges Journal?

Offline CurlyShuffle

Thanks Jake!  I'll see if I can get my hands on the Family Album.  I see Amazon has a VHS copy listed...  Do you know if the DVD was ever released commercially? 

I'm not sure why I have such a fascination with seeking material around Curly's decline.  When I started really getting into the stooges as a kid, I think the biographies and pictures taught me a lot about life and death in general.  Here you had a group of guys that you could literally see pictures of them as children, growing up, in their prime, having families of their own, and eventually passing on.  I'm sure all of us on this forum have felt one or more of the stooges as being close to us, even if we have never met them.

I have particular interest in Curly.  It intrigues me somehow to know more about his personal life, and how someone with so much going for him could go downhill the way he did at such a young age.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I'll see if I can get my hands on the Family Album.  I see Amazon has a VHS copy listed...  Do you know if the DVD was ever released commercially? 

Home video details can be found on each film's page in this site's main Filmography... THREE STOOGES FAMILY ALBUM (1998).

Or, you can use the site's Videography.

Offline Jake Howard

Thanks Jake!  -  Do you know if the DVD was ever released commercially? 

No problem ;)  The DVD is titled "All Time Favorites" and includes
1998's Family Album (All 6 Stooges)
1970's Kooks Tour(Curly Joe) &
1949's Jerks of All Trades"(Shemp)

Just follow the link from BeAStooge  [cool]

Offline CurlyShuffle

No problem ;)  The DVD is titled "All Time Favorites" and includes
1998's Family Album (All 6 Stooges)
1970's Kooks Tour(Curly Joe) &
1949's Jerks of All Trades"(Shemp)

Just follow the link from BeAStooge  [cool]

Thanks again guys!  I did not realize the family album was contained within other Three Stooges collections.  I actually already have it.  Although brief, it's a very good documentary.  The home movies make it a gem! 

The photos of Curly in his latter years look to be the same or similar to the ones in Joan Howard's book.  The brief clip during the end credits where Curly has his pants down is interesting.  It provides a brief glimpse into the "inside humor" stuff the boys may have done when around each other.  I wonder who was filming at that particular moment? 

Offline Mark The Shark

Still a "newbie," so this question will go here.

I don't think I have ever seen this question addressed anywhere (or if I have, I don't remember): who actually coined the nickname "Curly-Joe" for Joe DeRita? I remember in Moe Howard's autobiography he mentions how he contemplated asking DeRita to join the Stooges, and thought with his head shaved "he would look a great deal like my brother Curly." Later, photos surfaced from some of DeRita's first appearances with the Stooges, and his head is not shaved. So I just wonder whose idea it actually was to shave DeRita's head and christen him "Curly-Joe." Or for that matter, just when that happened -- i.e. how long had he been with the Stooges at that point?

Just curious...

Just recently I happened to see a copy of the new revised version of The Three Stooges Scrapbook and much to my surprise, they address this question in there. From what I recall (I haven't bought the book yet, just thumbed through it), audiences weren't responding favorably to the Stooges' new configuration with Joe DeRita and DeRita suggested he shave his head, though he said he would not imitate Curly. Then it was indeed Norman Maurer who suggested the name "Curly-Joe." (I thought Maurer wasn't their manager yet by then.) There also is some more stuff in there about the contracts signed during the period when Shemp first returned (initially as a "temporary" replacement for Curly) and different quotes from those found in the Amalgamated Morons book. I'll have to get this.

Offline FineBari3

Actually, I'm glad this topic was brought up, because I had been wondering about it ever since I read that post from long ago. Can any of the historians confirm that these photos exist?

There is a photo of Curly holding his daughter Janie, and he is wearing a captain's hat (like Skipper on Giligan's Island).  He is quite thin, but looks healthy and extremely happy!  I love that picture...
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline Mark The Shark

I remember reading years ago [on the Stooges Usenet discussion board] a posting from someone who said he knew of the existence of pictures of Curly very late in life [when he was very sick] which have never been published. If they DO exist, I'd have mixed feelings about wanting to look at them; part of me would, and part of me wouldn't.

Well, I wonder if they could be any worse than the pic of Joe DeRita in his final days which appears in One Fine Stooge.

Or the death photos of Ted Healy, now that I think about it.

I share the sentiments about tending to view the Stooges as family, even though in reality they were actors who I never met. For me, a lot of that came from reading Moe's autobiography at a young age, where he talked about his youth and his brothers. In a way I felt like I knew them, even though I really didn't.

I guess at this point in time, stuff like that would be of historical interest. I bet there's all kinds of stuff no one's talked about "officially." A story I have read a couple times on the internet (but never in a book or documentary) about the events leading up to Larry's stroke comes to mind.

Offline msupd206

Thought I could come here and maybe someone would have a answer or could tell me where to find it.  I purchased a box of 8mm movies and one of them was The 3 stooges in " All Hashed Up "  There is no record of this ever being made.  This movie is a silent film.  As good as we could figure is that it was remade into "Hash for Cash" with sound.  Anybody have any thoughts about this.  Trying find info and if I can find a value for it.  Thanks for your help and Shemp was the best stooge!!