Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ask Team Stooge **NEWBIES**

shemps#1 · 1290 · 339498

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Thought I could come here and maybe someone would have a answer or could tell me where to find it.  I purchased a box of 8mm movies and one of them was The 3 stooges in " All Hashed Up "  There is no record of this ever being made.  This movie is a silent film.  As good as we could figure is that it was remade into "Hash for Cash" with sound.  Anybody have any thoughts about this.  Trying find info and if I can find a value for it.  Thanks for your help and Shemp was the best stooge!!

In the late 1940s, toy company Excel released a hand-cranked, silent 16mm projector.  It licensed some Columbia titles with the Stooges, Scrappy cartoons, etc., which were silent, cut-down, and retitled versions of the original films.  Some of the films were also released in 8mm silent format.

I don't have a list of the Excel titles (w/ a Columbia "source" cross-reference) handy, but I'm guessing that "All Hashed Up" is an excerpt of BUSY BUDDIES (1944) featuring the diner scenes.

An overview of the Excel projector and films was published in The Three Stooges Journal # 46 (Summer 1988) and # 47 (Fall 1988).

Offline Signor Spumoni

I have a question about something Moe said in a short.  I can't think of the name of the short, and I apologize for that.  He was referring to something and said it was, "Made from a little piece of steel."  He gestured to show how small the piece was, and it seemed as though he was either quoting from or referring to a pop culture source.  Does anyone know anything about this?  Was it an advertising slogan from something such as a razor blade?  I watch WCIU's "Stooge-A-Palooza," and Rich Koz, the host, can't nail it down, either. 

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I have a question about something Moe said in a short.  I can't think of the name of the short, and I apologize for that.  He was referring to something and said it was, "Made from a little piece of steel." 

FIFI BLOWS HER TOP (1958)

Offline Signor Spumoni

That's it, BeAStooge, it's "Fifi Blows Her Top."  Thank you!  Now, can anyone tell me about Moe's statement, "Made from a little piece of steel?"  Was it an advertising slogan, perhaps?

Offline FineBari3

That's it, BeAStooge, it's "Fifi Blows Her Top."  Thank you!  Now, can anyone tell me about Moe's statement, "Made from a little piece of steel?"  Was it an advertising slogan, perhaps?

Wow, that's a good one!  Unfortunately, I can't think of it.  I bet you are right, that it is some advertising slogan or other pop-culture reference!  That's what I enjoy about the Stooges, the pop-culture stuff.  They were filled with sayings and song lyrics of that exact moment in time!

Unfortunately, if people don't remember what those things are, they get lost to later generations.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Signor Spumoni

I have a question about Stooges music.  In "Dutiful But Dumb," [1941] Curly sits inside a radio and "plays" music on the tubes, a harmonica, etc., trying to fool the soldiers who are looking for him.  I *thought* the music was titled, "The Stooge March," but now I'm unsure.  I just saw a Columbia comedy made in 1940 ("The Doctor Takes a Wife"), and that music was used in it.  Does anyone happen to know when "The Stooge March" (if that *is* its name) was first used in a Stooges short?  Or if I have the wrong music title, can anyone tell me the correct one?  Thank you.

Offline Larrys#1

I have a question about Stooges music.  In "Dutiful But Dumb," [1941] Curly sits inside a radio and "plays" music on the tubes, a harmonica, etc., trying to fool the soldiers who are looking for him.  I *thought* the music was titled, "The Stooge March," but now I'm unsure.  I just saw a Columbia comedy made in 1940 ("The Doctor Takes a Wife"), and that music was used in it.  Does anyone happen to know when "The Stooge March" (if that *is* its name) was first used in a Stooges short?  Or if I have the wrong music title, can anyone tell me the correct one?  Thank you.

I think, Termites of 1938

Offline Signor Spumoni

Ah, thank you, Larrys#1 - - and you were so speedy, too! 

Does anyone know the name of a particular movie in which Phil Van Zandt appeared?  It was set during World War II, and he played one of a number of Nazi soldiers being held by the Allies.  One of them was the officer in charge, but they were determined not to let the Allies know who it was.  I seem to recall they were all in a bombed-out basement.
I got to see only that much of this movie, then something interrupted me.  I'd like to catch it when it's shown again, but I can't remember which movie title to look for.  I enjoy seeing PVZ, and I was guessing he was the officer (though logic tells me it was probably a bigger "name" who had that role).
Thank you.

Offline Rich Finegan

That tune is actually entitled "Frederic March" and was composed by Howard Jackson and Raphael Penso for the 1936 Columbia movie PENNIES FROM HEAVEN starring Bing Crosby. There was a parade scene in the movie and my theory is that because Columbia hadn't had much of a music department up until that time (many Columbia films before that had no music scores at all aside from the main & end titles) they decided they wanted a march tune for the parade scene but without paying for the use of an established march from any of the classic composers. So they had staff composers Jackson and Penso come up with something they could use, not just for PENNIES FROM HEAVEN but from then on in any film where a march was called for - it was to be added to their stock music library. And I must say that in my opinon those two guys really came through! I know a lot of the marches by the famous composers such as Sousa, Pryor, Bagley, Herbert, etc. and I think "Frederic March" can stand up with the classics.

The title "Frederic March" obviously had to be a little private joke referring to the popular actor Fredric March, who probably never even was aware that a piece of music was named after him (because the kinds of incidental film music composed by staff writers like Jackson & Penso were not like hit songs written for musicals where a singer performs them, the titles of their tunes were unknown to the general movie-watching public). And because the titles of these incidental compositions were generally unknown outside the in-studio documentation level, staff composers occasionally would have their fun by naming tunes for co-workers or supervisors, knowing that the public would never know anyway.

As posted by Larry#1 the first Three Stooges short to use the march was TERMITES OF 1938. It was used in six more Stooges shorts through 1953.
As you noted, it was also heard in the 1940 Columbia movie THE DOCTOR TAKES A WIFE. Over many years I have been logging all film appearances of the march and so far I have 30 different Columbia films listed in which we can march along with Frederic. The final (newest) film I have found it in is from 1959. (I can list them all if anyone is interested!)

Offline Signor Spumoni

My goodness, Rich Finegan, you excelled in answering this question on the Fredric March!  Thank you.  I am interested in reading your list of all the movies in which this music was used.  Although I knew about the in-house composers, I never knew the in-depth information you provided.  I'm sure that march was named after the actor, Fredric March, as you said.  The temptation would have been too great to resist! 
Does your list of films include those in which this piece was used at a tempo and/or arrangement other than a march?  Sometimes changing the tempo for example, fools me, but sometimes not.  I noticed how often old folk hymns were used in this way as incidental music on "The Beverly Hillbillies," for example, including as a character's theme music for an episode or two. 
Now, to open a different can of worms ("woims") - - can anyone direct me to a discussion of a single-word line in "We Want Our Mummy?"  It's where Curly says, "Smote!"

Offline Rich Finegan

My goodness, Rich Finegan, you excelled in answering this question on the Fredric March!  Thank you.  I am interested in reading your list of all the movies in which this music was used.  Although I knew about the in-house composers, I never knew the in-depth information you provided.  I'm sure that march was named after the actor, Fredric March, as you said.  The temptation would have been too great to resist! 
Does your list of films include those in which this piece was used at a tempo and/or arrangement other than a march?  Sometimes changing the tempo for example, fools me, but sometimes not.  I noticed how often old folk hymns were used in this way as incidental music on "The Beverly Hillbillies," for example, including as a character's theme music for an episode or two. 

From what I've heard the tune always seems to be played as a march, in fact the same recording is often re-used. The one in the Stooges' short DUTIFUL BUT DUMB is probably the most unique version I've heard (as for the way it's played).

Okay, here are 30 different Columbia films whose musical scores include"Frederic March" by Howard Jackson & Raphael Penso:
PENNIES FROM HEAVEN (11-25-36) - feature.
SPEED TO SPARE (5-4-37) - feature.
GIRLS CAN PLAY (Trailer only) (6-21-37).
THE GAME THAT KILLS (9-21-37) - feature.
TERMITES OF 1938 (1-7-38) - Three Stooges short.
THE MAIN EVENT (5-5-38) - feature.
MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON (10-19-39) - feature.
THE DOCTOR TAKES A WIFE (4-25-40) - feature.
MEET BOSTON BLACKIE (2-20-41) - feature.
DUTIFUL BUT DUMB (3-21-41) - Three Stooges short.
TILLIE THE TOILER (8-7-41) - feature.
HARMON OF MICHIGAN (9-11-41) - feature.
HARMON OF MICHIGAN (Trailer) (9-11-41).
SHOW DOGS ("World of Sports" series) (9-12-41) - short.
SKI SOLDIERS (3-26-43) - short.
THREE LITTLE TWIRPS (7-9-43) - Three Stooges short.
COWBOY CANTEEN (2-8-44) - feature.
IDLE ROOMERS (7-16-44) - Three Stooges short.
SWING IN THE SADDLE (8-31-44) - feature.
GENTS WITHOUT CENTS (9-22-44) - Three Stooges short.
SAGEBRUSH HEROES (2-1-45) - feature.
ALL THE KING'S MEN (11-5-49) - feature.
SCREEN SNAPSHOTS Series 29, No. 3 - HOLLYWOOD RODEO (11-17-49) - short.
GENTS IN A JAM (9-4-52) - Three Stooges short.
PARDON MY BACKFIRE (8-15-53) - Three Stooges short.
SCREEN SNAPSHOTS Series 33, No. 2 - MEN OF THE WEST (11-19-53) - short.
SCREEN SNAPSHOTS Series 34, No. 3 - HOLLYWOOD COWBOY STARS (11-18-54) - short.
THE GUN THAT WON THE WEST (9-1-55) - feature.
JEANNE EAGELS (8-2-57) - feature.
THE FLYING FONTAINES (12-14-59) - feature.

Can anyone think of any I missed?

Offline Mark The Shark

It's also a handy tune to play in the event you need to calm down a werewolf!

Offline Signor Spumoni

Yes, Mark the Shark, especially if you have a "boogie-woogie box" handy.  :)

Rich Finegan, thank you for that list.  It's obvious you put some time in on that!  I never saw most of those films on the list; no wonder I didn't know that catchy little tune had such wide use. 
Are there other pieces of music for which you have lists where they're used?

Now my only problem is that I can't get it out of my head! 

Offline Rich Finegan

...I never saw most of those films on the list; no wonder I didn't know that catchy little tune had such wide use. 
Are there other pieces of music for which you have lists where they're used?

You must not have been receiving the Three Stooges Journals, the official publication of The Three Stooges Fan Club. Over several years I wrote articles in The Journal identifying every piece of music used in the Stooges shorts from 1934 through 1959, then covered the features through 1965. I listed the titles of the tunes, the writers, the sources (if they came from earlier films, etc.), and listed all the other non-Stooges films each tune was also used (just like the list I posted above for "Frederic March").

If there are any particular pieces of music you'd like to know more about, I can give you the info here.

Offline Signor Spumoni

I'm a relative newcomer to the journal, having subscribed for a little over a year (or so; I can't recall when I began subscribing).  Funny you mention the journal because I was just wondering if the current [winter] issue came out.  I have an issue with information on music, but I can't put my hands on it just now.  My housemate also loves the Stooges, and may have some of the issues.  Among the things I would do if I suddenly inherited a fortune would be to inquire about purchasing *all* back issues of the Stooges journal.  I wish I'd known aboutthe journal when it began.

There is some background music I'd like to know about.  It's heard when the Stooges are at posh parties; I think it's used in "Hoi Polloi."  I heard it in another movie, made in the early '30s, when it was used to set the tone for a posh party in a mansion.  It was a serious movie - - forget the title - - but I laughed when I heard that music.  I'm sorry to be vague.  I'm sure there isn't enough information here for you to know what I mean. 

Offline Rich Finegan

I'm a relative newcomer to the journal, having subscribed for a little over a year (or so; I can't recall when I began subscribing).  Funny you mention the journal because I was just wondering if the current [winter] issue came out.  I have an issue with information on music, but I can't put my hands on it just now.  My housemate also loves the Stooges, and may have some of the issues.  Among the things I would do if I suddenly inherited a fortune would be to inquire about purchasing *all* back issues of the Stooges journal.  I wish I'd known about the journal when it began.

The Winter 2012 issue already came out. Subscribers received their copies in mid-December 2012. The next issue should arrive in mid-March 2013.

My articles covering the music in the Stooges films started with complete coverage of the 1934 short WOMAN HATERS in issue 86 (Summer 1998).
Then from issue 87 through 98 I covered all the music used in all the Stooges' Columbia shorts through 1959.
In issue 99 I told the complete story of the song "You'll Never Know" (What Tears Are...)
Then from issue 100 through 108 I covered the Stooges' feature films (1959 - 1965).
In issue 116 (Winter 2005) I revealed the true title, composer and story behind the song popularly known as "Swingin' the Alphabet".
I kept hearing from people with music questions who had never seen my original music articles so I decided to do updates and summarize the original series. I did that from issues 136 through 140.

Offline Rich Finegan

There is some background music I'd like to know about.  It's heard when the Stooges are at posh parties; I think it's used in "Hoi Polloi."  I heard it in another movie, made in the early '30s, when it was used to set the tone for a posh party in a mansion.  It was a serious movie - - forget the title - - but I laughed when I heard that music.  I'm sorry to be vague.  I'm sure there isn't enough information here for you to know what I mean.

You're probably thinking of the tune "Jealousy" (sometimes given as "Jalousy" or "Jalousie") composed by Louis Silvers. It is also used as the fashion show music in the 1936 Stooges short SLIPPERY SILKS. The feature you recall hearing it in was probably BROADWAY BILL (1934).
Louis Silvers was Musical Director at Columbia in the mid-1930's and was responsible for much of the music heard in Columbia feaures and shorts during that time. He had just spent about a year at MGM, a few years at Warner Bros. before that, and after leaving Columbia around 1937 took over musical direction at 20th Century-Fox, where he worked on many of their top productions.
He's the guy who had the talent and imagination to turn the old standard "Listen to the Mockingbird" into the unique and wonderful Three Stooges theme music used between 1935 and 1938.

Here is a listing of all the other Columbia films in which I have found the tune "Jealousy":
BROADWAY BILL (12-27-34) - feature.
ONE TOO MANY (12-28-34) - short.
THE BEST MAN WINS (1-15-35) - feature.
HOI POLLOI (8-29-35) - Three Stooges short.
A FEATHER IN HER HAT (10-17-35) - feature.
THE LONE WOLF RETURNS (Trailer only) (12-31-35).
THE FINAL HOUR (7-7-36) - feature.
THEY MET IN A TAXI (9-1-36) - feature.
SLIPPERY SILKS (12-27-36) - Three Stooges short. 

Offline Signor Spumoni

Here's a quick thank you, Rich Finegan, for letting me know about the Stooges Journal's winter issue.  I do subscribe, but I never received that issue.  I'll have to find an old issue so I can contact the right person to find out what to do next.  Either it was lost in the mail or it was found in the mail (by a Stooges fan who didn't deliver it to me!). 

Also, here is a quick thank you for your music information.  I'll have more time later to thank you properly.

Offline Larrys#1

Got a question. Why exactly is "The Yokes On Me" banned from being shown on TV? Never understood why. What makes it worse than any of the other WWII short they made?

And another thing.... this is not a stooge question or anything, but could the administrators of this site make the verification image easier to make out? I'm having a bit of a hard time making out the image and sometimes can't post because of it. Many thanks.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Why exactly is "The Yokes On Me" banned from being shown on TV?

It's not banned, and it never was.

The decision of a few individual stations to not show it over the years, is due to feelings and opinions related to the U.S. government's illegal internment of American citizens of Asian descent from 1942 - 1944.  It is explained on this webite's filmography page for THE YOKE'S ON ME.

Offline Larrys#1

Thank you, BeAStooge, for the quick response. Have a great weekend!

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
And another thing.... this is not a stooge question or anything, but could the administrators of this site make the verification image easier to make out? I'm having a bit of a hard time making out the image and sometimes can't post because of it. Many thanks.

I believe you are almost out of the woods as far as that goes. That should stop after your 5th post.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

The verification requirement will end completely after 10 posts.  I hate those things, too, and nothing pisses me off more than trying to post a comment somewhere and having to re-enter CAPTCHA codes over and over again.  If it wasn't for the fact that we've had major issues with spammers in the past I'd get rid of it altogether.

Since the other mods that I added to the forum seem to have the spammer problem largely under control, I decided to step the CAPTCHA images down to Medium for now, so hopefully you'll have less difficulty reading them now.  I'll leave the setting there unless we start having problems again.

Offline Larrys#1

Thank you, Dunrobin and Shemps#1, for your help with this matter. It is very much appreciated.

curly b

FNG here! (Frickin New Guy)     Been a collector for a while and of course have all the short's and from my research all of the motion pictures with one version of the trio or another, recently acquiring "Turn back the clock".   My question is "Laff Hour".  I understand this was up to the individual theater's to include "The Three Stooges" or not.   But are there no copies of any  theater's version anywhere?   :-\