Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Elton John Album Discussion Thread

Offline Umbrella Sam

Well, after weeks of debating it, I’ve finally decided to go through with this project. Elton John’s music has always been such a huge part of my life and I thought it would be fun to introduce people to the wide variety of songs he’s recorded over the years. Obviously, we’ve been doing a lot of different discussions lately, so I’ll do my best to accommodate for that (maybe posting on weeks where not a lot is happening; I can figure out as we go along what works best).

A few things I’ve long debated. One is the fact that there are a ton of Elton John albums. I plan on taking part in the Black Sabbath album discussion thread and looking at that discography, there still aren’t nearly as many as there are Elton John albums, and that’s just counting studio albums. So, for now, the goal is to at least get through 1976, which is usually considered the end of Elton John’s classic period, and then I’ll reevaluate from there depending on if people are interested in still continuing. I also am going to focus mainly on the studio albums, but will briefly mention some highlights from the soundtrack/live albums of this period and, much like the Beatles discussion, will devote some time to non-album singles/B-sides as well. I’m also not starting with REGIMENTAL SGT. ZIPPO, which was technically the first Elton John album. The reason for this because it’s currently a vinyl-only album that was made a limited release for Record Store Day, so it’s not officially available to stream, and I’m probably the only person here who went out and bought a copy.I am holding out hope they’ll make it available on CD/streaming eventually.

That being said, before I start the EMPTY SKY discussion, I would like to briefly mention some tracks that were released beforehand (I was going to mention them as part of the EMPTY SKY review, but figured it would take up too much space):

I’ve Been Loving You/Here’s to the Next Time: Not counting two singles he released with his band Bluesology, this was the very first release of an Elton John composition. The A-side was credited to Elton and Bernie Taupin, but Bernie had nothing to do with it. At the time, Dick James wanted Elton and Bernie to write for the likes of Tom Jones and Engelbert Humperdinck, and this is very clearly an attempt to meet that expectation. It’s an extremely poor lyric. When you read the title, you get exactly what you expect; basic lyrics about love matched with a corny arrangement. The B-side, “Here’s to the Next Time”, is another Elton composition that’s way better than its A-side. Reconnecting Elton with his bluesy roots, Elton sounds much more engaged vocally and it’s supported by a nice horn arrangement. I also really like the bass playing on this song (I can’t confirm currently, but I believe that’s Dee Murray on bass). There’s also a rare Portuguese EP that contains two additional songs: “Thank You For All Your Loving”, which is a nice, Motown-style song, and “Angel Tree”, a naive, but still cute song that marked the first official release of an Elton/Bernie composition.

Lady Samantha/All Across the Havens: The A-side is more in the direction Elton and Bernie wanted to take. Encouraged by producer Steve Brown to write more about what interested them, this is a much more unique song than “I’ve Been Loving You”. Elton plays organ and electric piano on this song, and the organ is a really good fit for its depressing theme. I also really like Caleb Quaye’s guitar playing and Roger Pope’s drumming. Both would figure prominently on Elton’s earliest albums and really excelled at heavier rock pieces. The B-side was All Across the Havens, a lighter song I’ve never been a huge fan of, although I kind of like the ragtime piano intro that recurs throughout.

It’s Me That You Need/Just Like Strange Rain: The A-side of this was a bit out of left field for Elton at the time. Released a few weeks before EMPTY SKY, this attempted to present an Elton closer to the one that would be prominent on the ELTON JOHN album in 1970. Unlike I’ve Been Loving You and most of the ZIPPO era tracks ( “Tartan Coloured Lady” being an exception), the orchestra here does not take a pop or overly-sentimental approach, but does feel a bit more in line with the classical approach on ELTON JOHN; heck, I’d argue it does it better than some tracks on ELTON JOHN, since it doesn’t completely overtake the song; Caleb’s acoustic and electric guitar playing is still prominent throughout and when it’s all over, the focus is back on Elton and his piano. It’s a very nice ballad. The B-side, “Just Like Strange Rain”, is a fun rock song that was actually a leftover from EMPTY SKY that should have made the album. Lyrically, it’s very psychedelic, something that would not have been too uncommon in the ZIPPO era. Like “Lady Samantha”, it’s supported by some excellent drumming from Roger Pope and an ending that allows Caleb Quaye to have fun with his guitar playing.

Well, hopefully I’ve convinced some of you. Soon, the discussion will continue with Elton’s first album released, EMPTY SKY.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

Sweet!  I’ve always wanted to explore Elton’s catalogue.  Yeah, I’ve had people tell me not to bother past 1976, but the older I get, the more I’m interested in exploring those non classic era years.  In Elton’s case, I know the guy has consistently had hits independent of their quality. 

Yeah, I’ll try to pitch in this week.  The pre Empty Sky stuff I’ll search for streaming and on YouTube.  I imagine it will get easier once we get into an actual album and just have to stream the album.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Sweet!  I’ve always wanted to explore Elton’s catalogue.  Yeah, I’ve had people tell me not to bother past 1976, but the older I get, the more I’m interested in exploring those non classic era years.  In Elton’s case, I know the guy has consistently had hits independent of their quality. 

Yeah, I’ll try to pitch in this week.  The pre Empty Sky stuff I’ll search for streaming and on YouTube.  I imagine it will get easier once we get into an actual album and just have to stream the album.

I personally do think his post-1976 material is better than people give it credit for, although there are certain low periods (mid-1980s in particular). Glad to hear you’ll take part.

Offline HomokHarcos

Already here there is quite a bit of variety. "I'll Be Loving You" is a pop song that was quite standard for the time period, but "Here's to the Next Time" is a good song with horns in it. I've always liked hearing horns in music, especially funk. "Thank You for All Your Loving" is very catchy, and I think my favorite song of these mentioned here. The piano solo is just excellent there, and Elton's vocals fit the music perfectly. "Angel Tree" was not too much of a stepdown, but I'll admit I actually never put too much weight on lyrics when it comes to my enjoyment of music.

"Lady Samantha" is a rocking tune that reminds me of the early music Santana released. "All Across the Havens" has a noticeable country influence, the type of song that makes me think of corn fields. "It's Me that You Need" is nice ballad that is enhanced by the guitar playing throughout. "Just Like Strange Rain" is a song that I'd like to use to make an argument that I made before: piano would be a great addition to rock music. Typically rock music is about the drums, guitar and bass, but I would like to add keyboards as an addition.

Offline metaldams

I’ve Been Loving You/Here’s To the Next Time:  Yeah, for the a-side, I agree, I can imagine someone like Tom Jones doing this.  That style of music really doesn’t suit Elton as he has a different kind of character and grit to his voice than a lounge singer.  I hear that character on the verses then the strings in the chorus give the song a completely different vibe.  The b-side is indeed better.  In 6/8 time, a hint bluesier and some killer bass work.

Lady Samantha/All Across the Havens: While I wouldn’t call either an amazing song, they’re both pleasant.  I really like Elton’s voice a lot and the arrangement on “Lady Samantha” is excellent.  I love the lead guitar tone and playing and that’s Elton on the organ?  Excellent, I’m a big fan of that guitar/organ sound of the era.  On the heavier end of the spectrum for the time, worked well with Deep Purple and Uriah Heep (the latter band having Nigel Olsson playing drums on their first album).

It’s Me That You Need/Just Like Strange Rain:  The a-side is definitely the kind of song I imagine Elton John doing.  Really, epic, cinematic, big orchestration, lots of mood changes, and all thrown in a few minutes worth of pop music.  A really cool song.  There were parts at the beginning where with a sparser arrangement, I can picture Bob Dylan doing this.  The b-side is pleasant pop rocker with some good guitar work and a catchy chorus.  Not quite the standard of the a-side but good.

None of these songs were bad, all enjoyable to an extent.  “It’s Me That You Need” is my favorite of the bunch.  Elton is still getting his feet wet here and I know there is better material ahead, but not a bad start.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Already here there is quite a bit of variety. "I'll Be Loving You" is a pop song that was quite standard for the time period, but "Here's to the Next Time" is a good song with horns in it. I've always liked hearing horns in music, especially funk. "Thank You for All Your Loving" is very catchy, and I think my favorite song of these mentioned here. The piano solo is just excellent there, and Elton's vocals fit the music perfectly. "Angel Tree" was not too much of a stepdown, but I'll admit I actually never put too much weight on lyrics when it comes to my enjoyment of music.

"Lady Samantha" is a rocking tune that reminds me of the early music Santana released. "All Across the Havens" has a noticeable country influence, the type of song that makes me think of corn fields. "It's Me that You Need" is nice ballad that is enhanced by the guitar playing throughout. "Just Like Strange Rain" is a song that I'd like to use to make an argument that I made before: piano would be a great addition to rock music. Typically rock music is about the drums, guitar and bass, but I would like to add keyboards as an addition.

Variety is the key word I always use when describing Elton John. He covers so many genres that it’s difficult to truly classify him under one specifically.

I’m not too familiar with Santana, but I decided to listen to “Waiting” from their first album and I can already see what you mean with the crazy guitar and organ playing. I’m already kind of hooked on that one song; I’ll definitely have to check the rest of that album out later this week.

Offline Umbrella Sam

I’ve Been Loving You/Here’s To the Next Time:  Yeah, for the a-side, I agree, I can imagine someone like Tom Jones doing this.  That style of music really doesn’t suit Elton as he has a different kind of character and grit to his voice than a lounge singer.  I hear that character on the verses then the strings in the chorus give the song a completely different vibe.  The b-side is indeed better.  In 6/8 time, a hint bluesier and some killer bass work.

Lady Samantha/All Across the Havens: While I wouldn’t call either an amazing song, they’re both pleasant.  I really like Elton’s voice a lot and the arrangement on “Lady Samantha” is excellent.  I love the lead guitar tone and playing and that’s Elton on the organ?  Excellent, I’m a big fan of that guitar/organ sound of the era.  On the heavier end of the spectrum for the time, worked well with Deep Purple and Uriah Heep (the latter band having Nigel Olsson playing drums on their first album).

It’s Me That You Need/Just Like Strange Rain:  The a-side is definitely the kind of song I imagine Elton John doing.  Really, epic, cinematic, big orchestration, lots of mood changes, and all thrown in a few minutes worth of pop music.  A really cool song.  There were parts at the beginning where with a sparser arrangement, I can picture Bob Dylan doing this.  The b-side is pleasant pop rocker with some good guitar work and a catchy chorus.  Not quite the standard of the a-side but good.

None of these songs were bad, all enjoyable to an extent.  “It’s Me That You Need” is my favorite of the bunch.  Elton is still getting his feet wet here and I know there is better material ahead, but not a bad start.

Yeah, Elton actually played a lot of organ early on, since that’s what was in at the time and he had lots of experience playing it while touring with Bluesology. We’ll hear more of that on EMPTY SKY. Elton’s always been critical of his organ playing, but I think he’s being overly-critical. To my ears, he really seemed like he knew what he was doing when it came to the heavier organ tracks.

Offline Umbrella Sam

The Elton John journey officially begins with EMPTY SKY. Elton actually had recorded an album before this called REGIMENTAL SGT. ZIPPO, which was an album full of psychedelic songs modeled after acts like the Beatles or Procol Harum, but DJM promotions man Steve Brown didn’t like the album and suggested they try again, this time with Brown producing. Now, Brown was not an experienced producer; as far as I’m aware, Elton was the only act he ever produced for. As such, there are tracks where this feels kind of obvious, especially some of the lighter tracks like “Val-Hala” or “Hymn 2000”.

That being said, this also contributes to the album’s charm. Elton has called it naive, but also considered it an “all or nothing” approach. Nowhere is this more evident than in the title track. This was Elton’s tribute to “Sympathy For the Devil”, but they threw everything they could into it: backwards guitar solos, flutes, harmonicas, congas...it really feels like there was a lot of love and effort put into it. In general, the rock songs here are pretty solid. “Western Ford Gateway” has a great harmony guitar part and “Sails” is a really catchy number; the electric piano, the guitar solo, Elton’s harmony vocals in the chorus...they all come together to create a really fun rock number.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Elton is not solely on piano here; he pretty much plays every keyboard instrument here, from organ to harpsichord. This is not the norm; it’s not the only instance, but even in the albums immediately following this, other musicians were often brought in to play the non-piano keyboards. I think Elton does a good job on these instruments; I especially like the electric piano on “The Scaffold”. But here you can get the feeling that Elton did feel more comfortable playing piano specifically. Just listen to the way he plays it on the title track; you can already hear elements of what would soon become more prominent in his early live shows.

As I hinted at earlier, some of the lighter songs are the weaker points here;  “Hymn 2000” and “Lady What’s Tomorrow” in particular feel kind of awkward from a songwriting perspective and feel even more dated in terms of the production. Still, I like “The Scaffold”, and “Skyline Pigeon” is of course a great song as well. “Skyline Pigeon” is an important song in the Elton John catalog. Written as far back as the summer of 1968, Elton and Bernie considered it a real breakthrough in their songwriting partnership, a song that had its own unique style and didn’t feel patterned after anyone else. And, to Brown’s credit, he does create this unique atmosphere in his production. It’s just Elton on vocals, harpsichord and organ and it has this very Baroque feel to it. The vocal was recorded on the DJM studios fire escape, making it sound like Elton’s in some sort of echo chamber, which fits the song’s theme of wanting freedom.

As much as I love “Skyline Pigeon”, the song following it, “Gulliver”, is my favorite song on the album. Telling the tale of a dead dog, this folk rock song highlights some really excellent guitar and piano playing between Caleb and Elton. I especially love how the organ sounds after the first chorus; it’s almost as though you can vision the funeral on the farm that the child is giving his dog. It’s a really atmospheric song with great playing from all involved and makes for a satisfying end to the alb...

...It’s not over. Yeah, instead of ending with the obvious choice, they instead decided to segue into a jazzy instrumental called “Hay Chewed” (and yes, the song you’re inevitably thinking of was an intentional reference). It’s not bad; it’s kind of cool to hear the band just letting loose and having fun, but it doesn’t really reach a solid conclusion and leads into an awkward “Reprise” section where they basically play snippets of each song again. This apparently was commonly used on albums back then, and I could see this practice working on albums that are all tied to a specific theme, but this one doesn’t feel that well edited and further ruins the flow of what could have been a great album ending in “Gulliver”.

So, overall, EMPTY SKY is a fun, but still somewhat naive album that shows Elton and Bernie already had a gift for writing interesting songs. I can see why Elton still has such fond memories of it.

Offline metaldams

I was checking out the Wikipedia page and it appears EMPTY SKY did not get a a U.S. release until 1975.  Now I imagine there must have been some hardcore fans of Reggie’s who scoured the import bins and spent a higher price on this thing beforehand, but still.  Shows that Elton hadn’t quite made it commercially yet.  I don’t remember if I told this story before, but a co-worker of mine from years back got married in 1970 in England to a British husband and claims an unknown Elton John played her wedding.  It makes a good story, anyway.

I agree with the idea this still sounds like Elton and Bernie were still trying to find their identity as a team.  None of the songs here are terrible but a lot of it does sound like trying to fit into the times.  David Bowie went through a very similar thing early on before finding himself around the exact same time, even down to the obscure early recordings.  The title track indeed does have some influence from “Sympathy For the Devil,” but is still a good song.  One thing I like about Elton is that as much as he always aims for the pop hit, he’s not only about that.  He’ll go for the longer, more progressive piece and is not afraid of a bit of adventure.  I have a thing for the harpsichord stuff so I actually liked “Val-Halla.”  Baroque pop stuff, but I can recall The Kinks and The Zombies also doing that kind of thing so yeah, Elton is searching here. 

I remember thinking “Western Ford Gateway” had some awkward stereo mixing in the vocals for a bit and made me wonder what the mono version sounds like.  “Hymn 2000” got an eyebrow raise from me.  That flute intro sounds an awful lot like Jethro Tull’s “Cross Eyed Mary,” except this predates the more famous Tull song by two years.  Heck, the AQUALUNG album even has a song called “Hymn 43.”  I’m really starting to think Ian Anderson heard this album. 

“Skyline Pigeon” is indeed the standout.  Cool harpsichord and the lyrics are again, very cinematic.  Just a cool tune overall.  The sentiment of not being a fully realized album but the potential is there - I agree with this.  Doesn’t the next album have “Your Song?”  That alone beats anything here.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I was checking out the Wikipedia page and it appears EMPTY SKY did not get a a U.S. release until 1975.  Now I imagine there must have been some hardcore fans of Reggie’s who scoured the import bins and spent a higher price on this thing beforehand, but still.  Shows that Elton hadn’t quite made it commercially yet.  I don’t remember if I told this story before, but a co-worker of mine from years back got married in 1970 in England to a British husband and claims an unknown Elton John played her wedding.  It makes a good story, anyway.

I agree with the idea this still sounds like Elton and Bernie were still trying to find their identity as a team.  None of the songs here are terrible but a lot of it does sound like trying to fit into the times.  David Bowie went through a very similar thing early on before finding himself around the exact same time, even down to the obscure early recordings.  The title track indeed does have some influence from “Sympathy For the Devil,” but is still a good song.  One thing I like about Elton is that as much as he always aims for the pop hit, he’s not only about that.  He’ll go for the longer, more progressive piece and is not afraid of a bit of adventure.  I have a thing for the harpsichord stuff so I actually liked “Val-Halla.”  Baroque pop stuff, but I can recall The Kinks and The Zombies also doing that kind of thing so yeah, Elton is searching here. 

I remember thinking “Western Ford Gateway” had some awkward stereo mixing in the vocals for a bit and made me wonder what the mono version sounds like.  “Hymn 2000” got an eyebrow raise from me.  That flute intro sounds an awful lot like Jethro Tull’s “Cross Eyed Mary,” except this predates the more famous Tull song by two years.  Heck, the AQUALUNG album even has a song called “Hymn 43.”  I’m really starting to think Ian Anderson heard this album. 

“Skyline Pigeon” is indeed the standout.  Cool harpsichord and the lyrics are again, very cinematic.  Just a cool tune overall.  The sentiment of not being a fully realized album but the potential is there - I agree with this.  Doesn’t the next album have “Your Song?”  That alone beats anything here.

Mono pressings of EMPTY SKY are extremely rare and expensive, so I unfortunately can’t tell you how that sounds, but I do see what you mean regarding the stereo vocals. There is something kind of off about it, but it personally never really bothered me.

The idea of Elton playing a wedding back then isn’t totally unbelievable. Prior to Troubadour, he was pretty much still a regular session musician during the day and a lot of the venues he did play live were much smaller things like college shows or country clubs. Sadly, there’s not a ton of information on pre-Troubadour venues/setlists.

Offline HomokHarcos

The intro track is a great start to the album. They went all out for it, it has an epic feel. Elton John's vocals reminded me of Mick Jagger here. The song was 8 minutes long but didn't feel like iot. I agree with Metaldams "Val-Hala" is a good track, one of those songs that make me think of being a child in my parent's car driving past corn fields. A lot of the lighter songs give me that feeling, including "Lady What's Tomorrow", "The Scaffold" and "Gulliver".

I like the two later rock songs that are included "Western Ford Gateway" and "Sails". I'm noticing more of that hard rock/blues influenced type of music showing up later in the 1960s, it's also noticeable in the White Album. Before everybody was psychedelic, now they're getting into hard rock. Reading your opening statement about Regimental Sgt. Zippo suggests Elton John went through the some sort of transition like that.

OK with the end track I love jazz, so even if it's comes out of nowhere I still had a lot of fun listening to it. It shows Elton John could have been a jazz musician! I'm he occasionally has more jazz influenced songs in the future. May have been unnecessary, but it sounded good to my ears so I won't complain. Now the reprisals didn't make sense to me. That's something I would expect to hear in ending for a documentary or a biopic, not at the end of an album I just listened to.

Offline Umbrella Sam

I guess I should have been a little more clear on Val-Hala. I don’t dislike it, I just think it kind of pales compared to the other few Elton harpsichord-focused songs, including “Tartan Coloured Lady” from ZIPPO. I like most of the ZIPPO tracks, but “Tartan Coloured Lady” is the only one I feel could have been on a later album. Here’s the JEWEL BOX version, which is the same one that appears on ZIPPO.

Offline hiramhorwitz

Lady Samantha/All Across the Havens: The A-side is more in the direction Elton and Bernie wanted to take. Encouraged by producer Steve Brown to write more about what interested them, this is a much more unique song than “I’ve Been Loving You”. Elton plays organ and electric piano on this song, and the organ is a really good fit for its depressing theme. I also really like Caleb Quaye’s guitar playing and Roger Pope’s drumming. Both would figure prominently on Elton’s earliest albums and really excelled at heavier rock pieces. The B-side was All Across the Havens, a lighter song I’ve never been a huge fan of, although I kind of like the ragtime piano intro that recurs throughout.

It’s Me That You Need/Just Like Strange Rain: The A-side of this was a bit out of left field for Elton at the time. Released a few weeks before EMPTY SKY, this attempted to present an Elton closer to the one that would be prominent on the ELTON JOHN album in 1970. Unlike I’ve Been Loving You and most of the ZIPPO era tracks ( “Tartan Coloured Lady” being an exception), the orchestra here does not take a pop or overly-sentimental approach, but does feel a bit more in line with the classical approach on ELTON JOHN; heck, I’d argue it does it better than some tracks on ELTON JOHN, since it doesn’t completely overtake the song; Caleb’s acoustic and electric guitar playing is still prominent throughout and when it’s all over, the focus is back on Elton and his piano. It’s a very nice ballad. The B-side, “Just Like Strange Rain”, is a fun rock song that was actually a leftover from EMPTY SKY that should have made the album. Lyrically, it’s very psychedelic, something that would not have been too uncommon in the ZIPPO era. Like “Lady Samantha”, it’s supported by some excellent drumming from Roger Pope and an ending that allows Caleb Quaye to have fun with his guitar playing.
Sam, I appreciate the history you provided regarding Lady Samantha and It's Me that You Need.  I found out about these two songs when I first purchased MCA's 1973 release of them on opposite sides of a 45 rpm vinyl disk, during my high school years.  Here are scans of the front and back of that 45, in the unlikely event you haven't seen this version before.  I still listen to the 45, and remember the day I first loaded the platter onto my turntable, to find out how the early John singles fared.  Two other of my favorite 45 John releases include Young Man's Blues and Cold Highway.  I definitely find it hard to believe I first obtained these singles about half a century ago.  Yikes!

Offline Umbrella Sam

Sam, I appreciate the history you provided regarding Lady Samantha and It's Me that You Need.  I found out about these two songs when I first purchased MCA's 1973 release of them on opposite sides of a 45 rpm vinyl disk, during my high school years.  Here are scans of the front and back of that 45, in the unlikely event you haven't seen this version before.  I still listen to the 45, and remember the day I first loaded the platter onto my turntable, to find out how the early John singles fared.  Two other of my favorite 45 John releases include Young Man's Blues and Cold Highway.  I definitely find it hard to believe I first obtained these singles about half a century ago.  Yikes!

Thanks for sharing. I was aware there was an MCA pressing at some point, but I’d never actually seen them. Always cool to see the various vinyl releases.

ELTON JOHN review coming either tomorrow or Saturday.

Offline Umbrella Sam

After EMPTY SKY’s release, Elton and Bernie kept writing more and more songs, enough so that they actually were able to get two albums’ worth of material out of them (a bit more on that when we get to TUMBLEWEED CONNECTION). Initially, things looked like they might proceed in a similar fashion to EMPTY SKY. In 1969, a few months after EMPTY SKY’s release, Steve Brown recorded run-throughs of some of these songs with Elton and Caleb’s band Hookfoot. In the end, though, Brown came to the conclusion that he was not the right man for the job and instead found arranger Paul Buckmaster and producer Gus Dudgeon, both fresh off working on David Bowie’s “Space Oddity” and both would play an important part throughout the Elton John journey.

For the first album based on this new material, Gus and Paul took a completely different approach. Instead of using a regular band, session musicians were hired, making Caleb the only musician besides Elton to be involved in these sessions, and even he doesn’t appear on that many tracks. And on top of that was the orchestra, which brought an extra layer to the proceedings that gave the album and Elton their initial identities. It both worked for and against him…more on that in a moment.

It starts off with some song called “Your Song”. Of course it’s a classic, we all know that and, yeah, it’s completely deserving of that. The source of inspiration for Elton and Bernie songs has often not been very clear; unlike Lennon-McCartney, they’re usually more willing to let others find their own interpretations. With “Your Song”, Elton had previously claimed it was about Bernie’s girlfriend at the time, while Bernie claimed it was about everyone. I have no idea who’s right, but I think Bernie’s interpretation speaks as to why the song works so well: it’s spoken to the audience, and gives a very positive message.

It’s then followed by “I Need You To Turn To”, which again features Elton on harpsichord. Interestingly, much like “Your Song”, it’s again using the second person. The harpsichord playing is nice and the orchestra is subtle enough that it provides the appropriate backup.

“Take Me to the Pilot” was actually originally an A-Side with “Your Song” as the B-Side, but people tended to prefer the latter when playing it on the radio. But “Take Me to the Pilot” is still a fun song. I especially love the little orchestra flourishes after Elton sings “Take me to the pilot for control”.

“No Shoestrings on Louise” is another Rolling Stones tribute, and you can really hear the Jagger influence in Elton’s vocals. It’s really fun, and the background singers make it even more fun to listen to.

The middle is where things go a bit downhill. “First Episode at Hienton” is kind of a boring song that gets weird due to its use of the Moog synthesizer. The Moog was an instrument that could work, and there is a better example on this album, but here it sounds like a flying saucer is about to abduct Elton while he’s just trying to sing this ballad that has nothing to do with that!

“Sixty Years On” is my least favorite song on the album. The song itself is not the problem (17-11-70 is proof of that), but rather the issue is the ridiculously overdone arrangement. It starts with this weird string part at the beginning that wasn’t even supposed to be part of the song; it was just a random thing Buckmaster recorded and Gus decided to attach it to the beginning of the song. Then the song essentially becomes a showcase for Buckmaster to demonstrate how he uses strings and harp, and…my gosh, it’s so boring! I appreciate certain classical music, but it’s got to have a melody that truly supports it, and this doesn’t. This was meant to be a heavier rock song, as evidenced by the way Elton played the chords on the demo, and instead of following that, Buckmaster had Elton not even play piano at all on it. No, it’s not always a bad thing for Elton to be on vocals only; TUMBLEWEED CONNECTION is proof of that. But this one takes it to a point where it doesn’t even sound like an Elton John song at all, but rather a song he’s the guest on…and let me tell you, considering how many styles Elton covers, that’s pretty hard to do!

Things improve with the next song, “Border Song”, which is a spiritual-like number featuring a much more subtle arrangement backed by a choir. I really like this song; the piano’s in the forefront, Elton’s voice is great, and I especially love the drumming. Actually, the drumming is really good throughout the record in general. The main drummers were Barry Morgan and Terry Cox, both of whom create this incredibly full drum sound that I haven’t hear on many other records. In his book on Elton, TIN PAN ALLEY, Keith Hayward mentions Morgan was hired because he had the ability to make his tom-tom drum sound like an orchestra timpani, and I can hear that in both Morgan and Cox’s work. I love Nigel Olsson, and he also created a full drum sound in his own way, but the drumming style here is its own unique thing that contributes to giving the album its own identity.

“The Greatest Discovery” is another one I’m not a huge fan of. I like the trumpets on it, but overall, it’s another song that kind of bores me and while not nearly as bad as in “Sixty Years On”, it has another drawn out orchestral intro.

“The Cage” picks things up again with a cool, upbeat melody. The drumming, guitar, and bass playing are all excellent and this one does make good use of the Moog synthesizer for the middle instrumental section. It works here because the song is a dark song and it properly contributes to that atmosphere.

And finally, there’s “The King Must Die”, the very definition of grand ending. I love everything about this song; I love the way it starts with just Elton on piano, the way the trumpets come in and really give off this regal sound, the drums that sound like a legitimate orchestral timpani, the way Elton keeps singing “the king is dead” in the coda only to pause and then leave us with a chilling ending…gosh, this song is just so good. This is where the balance between Elton and Buckmaster is at its best. The orchestra does provide a really great support to Elton…but they’re still support. At the end of the day, it’s still Elton who’s leading the charge; just listen to the way he bangs the chords out after the second chorus and try telling me Buckmaster and Dudgeon didn’t realize this! It’s often a toss-up between this and “Your Song” for my favorite song on the album. At the moment, I’m leaning towards this, but tomorrow it could very well be “Your Song”; both songs just have such a great impact in two totally different ways.

ELTON JOHN is an album full of great songs and professional production that usually works very well. But at the same time, I do see what Elton meant when he later said he feared getting labeled specifically as that type of act. There are some cases where Buckmaster and Dudgeon felt like they were going a bit too overboard with the arrangements and lost sight of who they were working with. Luckily, they would not repeat this mistake and, again, it’s only really a problem on a few songs; most of them do benefit from their work and are really memorable songs. Overall, a good album that just has a few flaws that would be worked out in the future.

And now, for the singles:

“Bad Side of the Moon” was the B-Side to the “Border Song” single. This song actually did become a hit in Canada, but it was for a band called April Wine. Every time I drive up to Canada, I somehow manage to catch this on a classic rock station. Elton’s version is great; I love the fade-in with the snare drum and the lead guitar playing as well. Elton doesn’t play piano here, but it works because the musicians properly support the style he was going for, and the orchestra adds an extra flair. I think the album could have benefited from its inclusion; it could have easily replaced “Sixty Years On”.

“Rock and Roll Madonna” was a single-only A-side that was actually recorded at the beginning of the TUMBLEWEED sessions, but it’s usually associated with this album due to being released close to it. This is another early instance where I think Dudgeon made the wrong decision. The song is played kind of slow and he put in these crowd effects, which was an idea he would successfully use for atmosphere later on “Bennie and the Jets”, but here it comes across as them trying to make the song sound more impressive than it actually was. When Giles Martin recorded his version of this song for the ROCKETMAN soundtrack, he made a good decision and modeled it after the faster and looser Steve Brown version instead.

And finally, we have “Madonna”’s B-Side, “Grey Seal”, which some of you may recognize as it was later re-recorded for GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD. Overall, the song itself is great and I do think the arrangement here works. It’s a nice version, but I still prefer the YELLOW BRICK ROAD version. It feels much more at home on that album whereas here it was a fascinating outlier; lyrically, it had a bit of a mythological thing going, which was actually more in line with what was on EMPTY SKY. It just needed a few years before it could properly get the spotlight and when it did, it delivered.

Offline metaldams

I’ve listened to ELTON JOHN twice. I enjoyed it in the first listen and enjoyed it more on the second listen - always a good sign.  “Your Song” I obviously know and it is unquestionably a classic.  One of those perfect pop songs.  I also have some familiarity with “Border Song” and “Take Me To the Pilot” which are the more joyous and upbeat songs on the album.  Good stuff.

“No Shoe Strings on Louise” is indeed very Stones like.  Not only does Elton sound like Mick, but the drunken backing vocals even sound like Keith Richards!  Here’s the thing though.  This song was recorded in 1970 and this track sounds like an outtake for 1972’s EXILE ON MAIN STREET so if anything, this sounds like it’s anticipating the Stones.  Yeah, the Stones did country rock on BEGGAR’S BANQUET, but it didn’t sound this full until Exile.

I actually really dig the symphonic stuff and that includes “Sixty Years On” and especially “First Episode at Hienton.”  Perhaps this kind of thing isn’t standard Elton, I don’t know.  It reminds me of the progressive pop stuff of the time like The Moody Blues and Procol Harum.  I dig that sound and I like moody stuff like that.  “I Need You To Turn To” and “The King Must Die” are really awesome too.  Again, the moody arrangements and epic sounding nature is pretty aligned with my taste.

Overall, this sounds like a much more confident and consistent album than EMPTY SKY.  Looking forward to the next several.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I’ve listened to ELTON JOHN twice. I enjoyed it in the first listen and enjoyed it more on the second listen - always a good sign.  “Your Song” I obviously know and it is unquestionably a classic.  One of those perfect pop songs.  I also have some familiarity with “Border Song” and “Take Me To the Pilot” which are the more joyous and upbeat songs on the album.  Good stuff.

“No Shoe Strings on Louise” is indeed very Stones like.  Not only does Elton sound like Mick, but the drunken backing vocals even sound like Keith Richards!  Here’s the thing though.  This song was recorded in 1970 and this track sounds like an outtake for 1972’s EXILE ON MAIN STREET so if anything, this sounds like it’s anticipating the Stones.  Yeah, the Stones did country rock on BEGGAR’S BANQUET, but it didn’t sound this full until Exile.

I actually really dig the symphonic stuff and that includes “Sixty Years On” and especially “First Episode at Hienton.”  Perhaps this kind of thing isn’t standard Elton, I don’t know.  It reminds me of the progressive pop stuff of the time like The Moody Blues and Procol Harum.  I dig that sound and I like moody stuff like that.  “I Need You To Turn To” and “The King Must Die” are really awesome too.  Again, the moody arrangements and epic sounding nature is pretty aligned with my taste.

Overall, this sounds like a much more confident and consistent album than EMPTY SKY.  Looking forward to the next several.

The symphonic stuff is kind of an “on-off” thing in those earlier years; it’s only on a few songs on TUMBLEWEED whereas it returns full swing on MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER. I do like this part of Elton’s career; the orchestra often does add a really great edge to songs like “The King Must Die” and “Madman Across the Water”. It’s just those few songs I mentioned in my review that I think they kind of misfired on, especially the overextended intros on “Sixty Years On” and “The Greatest Discovery”. Pretty much every time they used an orchestra after this album, though, they got it right. There’s a really excellent concert from 1972 at the Royal Festival Hall where he performed with a full orchestra; “Tiny Dancer” and “Madman Across the Water” were especially excellent performances at that show.

Here’s something I always thought was interesting. Around the time of this album’s release, Elton did a special where he performed some of the songs on the album with Buckmaster and the orchestra. It’s one of his earliest TV appearances, but what interests me most is, when he plays “I Need You To Turn To”, he actually plays it on the harpsichord. To my knowledge, this is the only time he ever played this instrument live.

Glad you liked the album.

Offline HomokHarcos

"Your Song" is a song I've heard a lot but never actually knew it was called. I assumed it was called "I Hope You Don't Mind". I also didn't know the instrument in "I Need You to Turn To" was called a harpischord. It makes me think of medieval Europe and royalty, whether it was used then or not.

"Take Me to the Pilot" is a groovy song that had me moving my feet. I liked when the guitar in the second verse and in the solo. The nanana scat singing was also fun. "No Shoe Strings on Louise" is a good follow-up. He does sound like Mick Jagger here. He's got a pretty diverse vocal style, if I didn't know better I might not catch that it was the same singer. The piano playing is also enjoyable, it reminds me of boogie woogie.

Aside from power ballads I've never been the biggest fan of them for the most part. Your description made me laugh, that sounds like the plot for a cheesy sci-fi horror.

I actually liked "Sixty Years On". Once or twice on an album a song like that can be pretty effective. Music in this orchestral style always sound like film score music to me. "Border Song" gives me a church feeling. The way Elton sings in addition to the backing music reminds me of gospel music. My mom might hate that but I don't.

"The Cage" is more of my style. It sort of has a funk and R&B feel. The synthesizer break is different, but it goes right back.

I've heard "Bad Side of the Moon" quite a bit, I didn't even realize it was a cover. April Wine are played quite a bit in Canada, another song of theirs that gets played a lot is "Sign of the Gypsy Queen" that is also a cover. There are quite a few bands that get a lot of airplay in Canada and I wonder if they are known in the U.S.

I stated a few times in the Beatles thread that I really like 1950s style rock and roll, so "Rock and Roll Madonna" is is one of my favorite songs of this bunch. I agree with the crowd noise, it disrupts the music. I see no need for that outside of live performances.

The ending for "Grey Seal" was excellent. The vocals, pianos and strings made for an epic climax.

Offline metaldams

Yeah, I was shocked to hear Elton and April Wine linked together.  I definitely know “Sign of the Gypsy Queen.”

….and a harpsichord is a baroque era instrument.  Goes back to Bach.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

"Your Song" is a song I've heard a lot but never actually knew it was called. I assumed it was called "I Hope You Don't Mind". I also didn't know the instrument in "I Need You to Turn To" was called a harpischord. It makes me think of medieval Europe and royalty, whether it was used then or not.

"Take Me to the Pilot" is a groovy song that had me moving my feet. I liked when the guitar in the second verse and in the solo. The nanana scat singing was also fun. "No Shoe Strings on Louise" is a good follow-up. He does sound like Mick Jagger here. He's got a pretty diverse vocal style, if I didn't know better I might not catch that it was the same singer. The piano playing is also enjoyable, it reminds me of boogie woogie.

Aside from power ballads I've never been the biggest fan of them for the most part. Your description made me laugh, that sounds like the plot for a cheesy sci-fi horror.

I actually liked "Sixty Years On". Once or twice on an album a song like that can be pretty effective. Music in this orchestral style always sound like film score music to me. "Border Song" gives me a church feeling. The way Elton sings in addition to the backing music reminds me of gospel music. My mom might hate that but I don't.

"The Cage" is more of my style. It sort of has a funk and R&B feel. The synthesizer break is different, but it goes right back.

I've heard "Bad Side of the Moon" quite a bit, I didn't even realize it was a cover. April Wine are played quite a bit in Canada, another song of theirs that gets played a lot is "Sign of the Gypsy Queen" that is also a cover. There are quite a few bands that get a lot of airplay in Canada and I wonder if they are known in the U.S.

I stated a few times in the Beatles thread that I really like 1950s style rock and roll, so "Rock and Roll Madonna" is is one of my favorite songs of this bunch. I agree with the crowd noise, it disrupts the music. I see no need for that outside of live performances.

The ending for "Grey Seal" was excellent. The vocals, pianos and strings made for an epic climax.

One thing about Elton is that you can find connections to things you wouldn’t even imagine, April Wine being a perfect example. Elton hasn’t played this song live since the mid-1970s, so it doesn’t surprise me that many people don’t know it was his song.

Fair enough regarding “Sixty Years On”, and I know people who do like this version. You’re right, the middle section does kind of sound like something you’d hear in a ‘70s/‘80s horror film. It’s just not really my style; my cutoff for horror films is probably sometime in the 1960s. The 17-11-70 version is the definitive version of this song to me.

Offline metaldams

I think I may have mentioned this before, but Elton plays piano on a couple of tracks from Saxon’s 1986 album, ROCK THE NATIONS.  A traditional British metal band with Elton.  “Northern Lady,” which Elton plays on, is a cool song.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

TUMBLEWEED CONNECTION is a special kind of album. It’s the only studio album in Elton John’s classic period which doesn’t ever have tracks included in Greatest Hits compilations, as the album didn’t have any singles released (“Your Song” started to gain some traction around this time). As such, it’s an album of discovery; one that shows a side of Elton that’s not really known to most fans of the current generation.

Inspired by the likes of Laura Nyro, David Ackles and especially the Band’s MUSIC FROM BIG PINK, TUMBLEWEED CONNECTION is an Americana-focused album. Considering the fact that it was released after Elton’s famous Troubadour shows, one might assume it was written after visiting America for the first time. In fact, this album was entirely written and recorded before Elton and Bernie had set foot in America; heck, some of them were written before a lot of the ELTON JOHN songs (a cover version of “Son of Your Father” was released the same month as EMPTY SKY).

Gus Dudgeon and Paul Buckmaster were both back for this album, but unlike the previous album, there was a more band-oriented approach and only a select number of songs had orchestrations. There still are some similarities to ELTON JOHN; various lineups are used instead of one consistent one, for example. But overall the mood was quite different to the ELTON JOHN album, which was good because it showed already how versatile Elton was.

It starts off with “Ballad of a Well-Known Gun”, a great song that has this really interesting delayed guitar intro. I really love the energy on this one; the interplay between Elton and Caleb, the cowbell, the backing vocals…it’s such a good number to open with. The backing band on this and a decent amount of other songs on this album was Caleb’s band Hookfoot, who usually backed Elton for his 1969 live shows and who also specialized in blues and progressive numbers, making them a great lineup for these types of songs.

The second song is “Come Down in Time”, which is more in line with the previous album’s songs. The arrangement is lighter; it makes use especially out of the harp and the oboe. Elton doesn’t play piano on it, but that’s OK because the light arrangement is so beautiful that that’s all it really needed. And Elton gives such a great vocal performance here; you can really here the sorrow in his voice, especially during the verses.

The third song, “Country Comfort” is more of a generic country song compared to the others on the album. I still like it, though. The chorus is catchy, the steel guitar is cool, and the addition of violin and harmonica adds a nice touch.

“Son of Your Father” is one of those great, unknown Elton songs that I wish more people knew about. To be fair, I could say that about most of the songs on this album, but “Son of Your Father” feels like the one that’s really flown under the radar. It does appear on a couple BBC set lists from 1969 and probably was done live by Elton and Hookfoot at some point, but it’s the only song on the album that has no documented live performance post-Troubadour. Once again, Hookfoot is backing Elton and when combined with the really energetic backing vocals and a subtle brass arrangement from Buckmaster, it creates this really fun, upbeat, bluesy sound that’s not really present on most other Elton recordings.

“My Father’s Gun” is probably my least favorite song on the album, but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad song. Heck, Bob Dylan apparently mentioned this song specifically when he first met Elton and Bernie. It’s in the same key as “Son of Your Father”, had the same backing band…heck, it was even recorded on the same day. But unlike “Son of Your Father”, repetition gets in the way of this one; the ending goes on forever, and unlike something like “Empty Sky”, where a lot of different stuff is going on to keep it from dragging, this consists of Elton and the backing vocalists repeating the same lyrics over and over again. I think Elton himself may have realized this, because the few existing live recordings of this song never reach 5 minutes, and they play better as a result.

Remember when I mentioned “great, unknown Elton John songs that I wish more people knew about?” “Where to Now St. Peter?” really fits this description. Telling a tale of a dead soldier and the afterlife, this one creates a very unique atmosphere with Caleb’s Leslie guitar effects, Dee Murray and Nigel Olsson’s surprisingly very high pitched voices, and a beautiful piano part from Elton. It’s one of his most progressive pieces, an area he really excelled at.

“Love Song” is actually not an Elton composition, but was instead written by Lesley Duncan, who had quite the interesting career of her own. In addition to performing backing vocals for Elton on his early albums, her work included singing lead on an Alan Parsons Project song and backing vocals on Pink Floyd’s DARK SIDE OF THE MOON. She also was a singer-songwriter, and “Love Song” was probably her most famous composition. I know some people have argued against its inclusion, but of all the albums to include it on, I think this makes the most sense. It’s an album of artistic integrity and I think the song with its light acoustic arrangement fits that bill just right. And, there’s also the fact that I like the song; the light arrangement does work and it is nice to hear just him and Lesley performing together. She really had a great voice; very Karen Carpenter-like, a type of voice you don’t hear often.

That’s followed by “Amoreena”, which features Caleb on guitar, Dee Murray on bass, and Nigel Olsson on drums, the latter two by this point already having become part of the official Elton John Band. Unlike Hookfoot, they didn’t have a certain specialty, which made them more suited for Elton in the long run; they could play pop music in addition to the more progressive stuff, and they had a real chemistry with Elton; whether it was just them or them with Davey, they sounded like a real unit, not just backing musicians, and that can be heard clearly even here. The playing is just so tight; there’s the right balance between the piano, the drums, the bass and Caleb’s guitar. Yeah, Hookfoot was great too (I mean, come on, this is the band that played on “Tiny Dancer”), but they were their own act with their own interests; Dee and Nigel were in it for the long haul and that reflects in their varying styles throughout the years. And of course, it helps that the song itself is catchy too.

“Talking Old Soldiers” features just Elton on piano and vocals with no backing band, and it was the perfect choice to do so. The tale of an old soldier at a bar remembering the tragedies he’s seen, the piano-only decision really captures that lonely atmosphere of a bar. It doesn’t have a standard musical structure; no chorus or anything, it really is just Elton singing this story, and doing it very well with this complicated piano piece.

Then there’s “Burn Down the Mission”, another complicated song musically. Overall, it’s an effective ending; the sudden changes for the instrumental sections are really cool, and Buckmaster provided a suitable arrangement. But this is a song that overall works better live than in the studio, especially in that first year. It’s a song that already has so many chord changes, so being able to change to other songs in the middle of it makes complete sense, and it made for such an effective closer on 17-11-70. The studio version is still good, though; Elton’s piano playing in the fadeout is really cool and I like the way the orchestra builds up in the final vocal section.

And, finally, we have the only B-side from these sessions, “Into the Old Man’s Shoes”, which was the B-Side to the UK release of “Your Song”. And it is a shame that a song this beautiful had to get cut from the album. I understand why; there were already so many worthy candidates, but it’s still a wonderful song that deserved more attention. It tells the tale of a man who has to deal with standing in the shadow of his late father. Bernie really could tell such interesting stories with these lyrics, and Elton delivers it with a wonderful vocal performance backed by Hookfoot and another really good Buckmaster arrangement. There is a certain other song that was recorded during these sessions, but it wasn’t released at the time and I think it makes more sense to talk about it during the next album discussion.

TUMBLEWEED CONNECTION is an essential album in the Elton John journey. The various stories in Bernie’s lyrics combined with the excellent atmosphere created by the musicians with each song make this such a wonderful experience. Metaldams mentioned in the PARANOID discussion the overkill regarding the earlier Black Sabbath albums in live performances and how he wished there would be more attention from fans to the other albums. This is the album I really wish Elton would play more live tracks from; he brought “Burn Down the Mission” back for the farewell tour, but I find it unlikely any other songs from it will surface before his retirement. It’s not my absolute favorite Elton album, but it comes very close. Such a wonderful album, highly recommended.

Offline HomokHarcos

Safe to say this is my favorite album so far. I've never really listened to country, but I do like southern influenced rock.

"Ballad of a Well-Known-Gun" is different from what I expected after seeing the title. I thought it would be more of a, well, ballad. It's not... and that makes it even better! Terrific opening with excellent guitar and piano playing. I like the high pitched vocalists at the end, do you know who's doing them?

"Come Down in Time" and "Country Comfort" are my least favorite songs on the album. That's not to say they are bad songs, they are just not as good as the rest of the album (which is a pretty high standard).

"Son of Your Father" is a very fun song. I think it could have been a big hit, it's very catchy and it seems like the type of song my mom would like. I wonder if she's aware of it, I'll probably show it to her. I like "My Father's Gun", but I agree it could have been shorter.

You said what I was thinking when I heard "Where to Now St. Peter?" in that the piano playing is very beautiful. In "Love Song" it's the guitar that is beautiful. I also think the harmonies are pretty good here. "Amoreena" is the only song I was familiar with because it was featured in the opening of the movie Dog Day Afternoon. It was actually the first song I really liked by Elton John and made me want to discover more of his music.

"Talking Old Soldiers" is a song I could imagine him playing at a public appearance by himself. It's all him and he's a good enough singer and pianist that's all you need. "Burn Down the Mission" was the perfect way to end the album as it has an epic feel. The end of the song fires on all cylinders.

"Into the Old Man's Shoes" is a wonderful song. It's a good thing you and metaldams mention the singles that the bands release, I probably I would have missed a lot of songs otherwise.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Safe to say this is my favorite album so far. I've never really listened to country, but I do like southern influenced rock.

"Ballad of a Well-Known-Gun" is different from what I expected after seeing the title. I thought it would be more of a, well, ballad. It's not... and that makes it even better! Terrific opening with excellent guitar and piano playing. I like the high pitched vocalists at the end, do you know who's doing them?

"Come Down in Time" and "Country Comfort" are my least favorite songs on the album. That's not to say they are bad songs, they are just not as good as the rest of the album (which is a pretty high standard).

"Son of Your Father" is a very fun song. I think it could have been a big hit, it's very catchy and it seems like the type of song my mom would like. I wonder if she's aware of it, I'll probably show it to her. I like "My Father's Gun", but I agree it could have been shorter.

You said what I was thinking when I heard "Where to Now St. Peter?" in that the piano playing is very beautiful. In "Love Song" it's the guitar that is beautiful. I also think the harmonies are pretty good here. "Amoreena" is the only song I was familiar with because it was featured in the opening of the movie Dog Day Afternoon. It was actually the first song I really liked by Elton John and made me want to discover more of his music.

"Talking Old Soldiers" is a song I could imagine him playing at a public appearance by himself. It's all him and he's a good enough singer and pianist that's all you need. "Burn Down the Mission" was the perfect way to end the album as it has an epic feel. The end of the song fires on all cylinders.

"Into the Old Man's Shoes" is a wonderful song. It's a good thing you and metaldams mention the singles that the bands release, I probably I would have missed a lot of songs otherwise.

These are the backing vocalists on “Ballad of a Well-Known Gun”:
Dusty Springfield
Lesley Duncan
Madeline Bell
Kay Garner
Tony Burrows
Tony Hazzard

Yeah, I meant to mention DOG DAY AFTERNOON, but couldn’t fit it in. Such an unusual choice to pick, but it clearly worked; lots of people tend to associate it with this movie.

Glad you’re enjoying the singles, too. B-Sides tend to get unfairly overlooked in album discussions, which is why I’m glad we decided to include them in our discussions.