Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Elton John Album Discussion Thread

Offline Umbrella Sam

The singles have a more low key feeling to them than the album singles. I liked “Conquer the Sun”. Im surprised it took this long to get a release if it was recorded for the A Single Man sessions. “Cartier” is a beautiful piece. “White Man Danger” I think could have been included on the album. I think it’s funny that there was a song with white man and also a song with white lady in the title.

“Tactics” being instrumental and synth based sounds like a perfect song to go along with a video montage or slideshow. “Love Do Cold” is my favorite of these bunch of tracks, there’s a section with the guitar that reminds me of “Here Comes the Sun” by The Beatles.

It was nice to hear Elton song in French. I admittedly don’t understand the lyrics, but the vocals meshed well together, especially in “Donner Pour Donner”.

There were enough tracks here for a whole separate release, if they wanted to they could have released another album.

Believe it or not, this is actually not the last SINGLE MAN track to be released. Elton got a lot out of mileage out of both the 21 AT 33 and SINGLE MAN sessions when it came to B-sides in the ‘80s. The “Love So Cold”/“Here comes the Sun” connection is an interesting observation. I never thought of that before, but you’re right, the guitar part is similar at times.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline HomokHarcos

This album was fantastic and matches up to his 1970s peak. Not a single bad track in my opinion, I enjoyed this all. We have songs that feel more like the 1970s, and some that are more 1980s feeling.

"Breaking Down Barriers" gets the album starting off perfectly. You explained how great the song is, I don't know if I could defend it any better. "Heart in the Right Place" is a solid 1980s style track. I'm surprised it was a holdover, it sounds like it in with the music around the time this album came out. "Just Like Belgium" and "Nobody Wins" are my least favorite tracks on the album, but they are not bad songs. The lyrics in "Just Like Belgium" were kind of cheesy, though. I was a actually a big fan of "Fascist Faces", it was catchy, and had an excellent piano solo.

But, my favorite track overall on the album was "Carla/Etude - Fanfare". It starts off with a symphonic atmosphere, that would work well for a background score of a movie. Very beautiful piano playing. The next section was more synthesizer based, and reminded me more of what a band like The Alan Parsons Project would do. Then we have the Chloe section, that is a pretty good lounge rock song. "Heels of the Wind" is another good, upbeat song to follow it. I like the backing vocals that accompany Elton on the track. "Elton's Song" and "The Fox" are two more serious songs to end the album. A way to showcase Elton's vocals and piano playing.

An actually really good album, it seems to have been overlooked by the public. I also liked the B sides that came out during this time. "Fools in Fashion" is a good AOR song that has a smoother feeling. "Can't Get Over Getting Over Losing You" is better country track than Take Me Back. "Tortured" starts off mellow enough, then the guitars kick in. There were a lot of tracks recorded during those 21 at 33 sessions.

Offline metaldams

My God, I completely missed Sam’s review on this one.  [pie]  Going to have to listen soon.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

My God, I completely missed Sam’s review on this one.  [pie]  Going to have to listen soon.

Yeah, I kind of suspected that might happen when I realized it was the last post of the previous page. I was planning on bumping the thread in a few days if it didn’t get a response.

This album was fantastic and matches up to his 1970s peak. Not a single bad track in my opinion, I enjoyed this all. We have songs that feel more like the 1970s, and some that are more 1980s feeling.

"Breaking Down Barriers" gets the album starting off perfectly. You explained how great the song is, I don't know if I could defend it any better. "Heart in the Right Place" is a solid 1980s style track. I'm surprised it was a holdover, it sounds like it in with the music around the time this album came out. "Just Like Belgium" and "Nobody Wins" are my least favorite tracks on the album, but they are not bad songs. The lyrics in "Just Like Belgium" were kind of cheesy, though. I was a actually a big fan of "Fascist Faces", it was catchy, and had an excellent piano solo.

But, my favorite track overall on the album was "Carla/Etude - Fanfare". It starts off with a symphonic atmosphere, that would work well for a background score of a movie. Very beautiful piano playing. The next section was more synthesizer based, and reminded me more of what a band like The Alan Parsons Project would do. Then we have the Chloe section, that is a pretty good lounge rock song. "Heels of the Wind" is another good, upbeat song to follow it. I like the backing vocals that accompany Elton on the track. "Elton's Song" and "The Fox" are two more serious songs to end the album. A way to showcase Elton's vocals and piano playing.

An actually really good album, it seems to have been overlooked by the public. I also liked the B sides that came out during this time. "Fools in Fashion" is a good AOR song that has a smoother feeling. "Can't Get Over Getting Over Losing You" is better country track than Take Me Back. "Tortured" starts off mellow enough, then the guitars kick in. There were a lot of tracks recorded during those 21 at 33 sessions.

Glad you liked this one HomokHarcos; it really is a very overlooked album. I agree, the backing vocals on “Heels of the Wind” are really good, and “Carla/Etude” definitely feels like something out of a big movie score (Newton Howard was finding his calling.  [pie])

Offline metaldams

I didn’t listen to THE FOX as pure music yet and will comment on some of the songs once I do in the next few days, but I did watch the VISIONS video on YouTube.  You can find it on a playlist.  This is overall good music and the early 80’s Elton is much stronger than I was expecting.

The video itself is that old school, real early MTV vibe and I liked it a lot.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Now I listened to THE FOX without the videos and this probably is one of Elton’s stronger albums, which again I was not expecting at this point in his career.  Production wise I think the combination of the bass, piano and synths lends a real beefy sound and I think the songs are really strong overall.

Yes, I agree “Breaking Down Barriers” is another very strong album opener and that piano lick was certainly highlighted in the video.  Very catchy chorus, upbeat and a driving, beefy rhythm section (and I just read Dee Murray plays on a lot of these tracks, cool).  Shocked “Heart in the Right Place” was a leftover from the last album as it is another very strong track.  Great one two punch to open the album.

“Elton’s Song” may as well be Elton’s coming out song (especially if you watch the video) and for 1981, most pop stars didn’t do that - (example, George Michael had a big controversy 25 years later).  Today it would be easier to do, but a brave statement for the time and musically excellent.

“Carla/Etude-Fanfare-Chloe” is structured a bit like “Love Lies Bleeding/Funeral for a Friend” with the big progressive rock intro followed by the pop song.  Not saying it’s as good as the earlier effort, which is almost impossible to do, but a strong effort nonetheless.

The closing title track is another standout and really, I enjoyed every song on here.  I’m pleasantly surprised with this early 80’s run so far and though I know it’s two albums away, TOO LOW FOR ZERO is supposed to be a comeback.  Comeback from what I don’t know because these past couple of efforts are damn strong.  Looking forward to what’s directly ahead.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Really glad you both enjoyed this, since I like this album so much and think it deserves way more attention. Metaldams, you’re correct, most people call TOO LOW FOR ZERO the comeback, but in my eyes it truly started here.

Also, I just realized today is Wednesday, July 13th. You know what that means:

Offline HomokHarcos

Really glad you both enjoyed this, since I like this album so much and think it deserves way more attention. Metaldams, you’re correct, most people call TOO LOW FOR ZERO the comeback, but in my eyes it truly started here.

Also, I just realized today is Wednesday, July 13th. You know what that means:

Still my favorite Elton john song so far.

Offline Umbrella Sam

We move on to JUMP UP! Of all of Elton’s albums, JUMP UP! is probably the one I see the most split opinions on, some considering it among his best of the ‘80s and some considering it one of his worst. Even Bernie Taupin himself has apparently stated he considers it one of their worst albums, which is an odd statement to say considering that, much like the previous two albums, he only contributes lyrics to a select number of songs on the album instead of the whole thing. It also has a song that many fans consider Elton’s worst, but we’re getting ahead of ourselves. What’s the story of this one?

Well, much like the previous album, production duties were handled by Chris Thomas. It’s also the first album since 1976’s BLUE MOVES to feature a consistent band lineup throughout the entire album. Dee Murray is on bass guitar and backing vocals. That makes sense, as does Richie Zito on guitar and James Newton Howard on keyboards, having been part of the 1980 tour band. The only new addition is Jeff Porcaro on drums. Porcaro was a member of Toto and worked with multiple big acts as a session musician, including Steely Dan (yes, I’ve been reading ahead for that). It’s kind of like an interesting “What if?” Elton John Band lineup, one that never toured for reasons that we’ll get more into with the next album review.

Much like the previous album, this one opens with a John-Osborne track, “Dear John”. Though not nearly as compelling musically as “Breaking Down Barriers”, it nevertheless still manages to be a fun, upbeat opener, spotlighting some great harmonies from Elton and capturing the atmosphere that the cover and title promise.

The next track is the John-Taupin song, “Spiteful Child”. This one has an insanely catchy chorus, and I also really like the outro, especially when the guitars diverge into a different key before returning to the main key. Much like the first track, not an amazing song by any means, but still enjoyable.

The same applies to the third track, “Ball and Chain”. Once again, another fairly catchy chorus, though not nearly as much as “Spiteful Child”, and it is also nicely sequenced in that it doesn’t spotlight synthesizers as much as the previous two tracks, instead focusing more on a guest appearance by Pete Townshend on acoustic guitar. It’s another enjoyable track, but much like the previous two, it just doesn’t have the same impact as the tracks on THE FOX did. The tracks there felt like they had a lot of passion and heart put into them. These first tracks sound a bit more commercial, which I don’t mean in a bad way, especially since they are still catchy, but they do sound a bit more like products of their times as a result.

“Legal Boys” introduces us to an important future Elton collaborator, Tim Rice. Over a decade before their massive hit with THE LION KING soundtrack, Rice sent Elton the lyrics for this song. At this time, of course, Rice was more known for his Broadway work with Andrew Lloyd Webber, and unsurprisingly, this track does kind of have a Broadway feel to it. It’s really cool; as was par for the course by this time, Newton Howard provides the string arrangement, and it totally fits, as well as his natural use of synthesizers for dramatic effect. Porcaro also contributes to that grand quality; he does a really good job building up his drumming in the verses, which really does sound like the type of effect you’d hear in a Broadway orchestra.

Next is the John-Taupin track, “I Am Your Robot”, a song that many Elton fans consider his worst, or at the very least one of his worst songs. My take? It’s not a good song, but I do think that’s a bit harsh. Yes, the lyrics suck, and I do hate the way he sings “man” during the choruses; something about it is kind of annoying. But it still feels like there is something there in terms of a melody; I get the feeling listening to it that Elton really did have fun writing it and just wanted to share something he enjoyed with his fans. Dee’s bass playing is pretty good too. Musically, it does rely on synthesizers a bit too much, but to be fair, with a song with this title and theme, you’d expect that. So, yeah, I don’t really like it, but I can’t bring myself to necessarily hate it, as I feel there really was an effort to try to make it enjoyable.

“Blue Eyes” is one of the singles from the album, as well as one of the most known John-Osborne collaborations. It’s a very Sinatra-esque track; even Elton’s vocal has shades of Sinatra in it, with much more emphasis on his lower register than the other tracks on this album. It’s arranged very well too; great use of Fender Rhodes to capture that calm atmosphere, as well as a light string arrangement. Very good track.

Then we have another single, “Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny)”. This is a tribute to Elton and Bernie’s late friend, John Lennon, and uses the very clever analogy of Lennon being a gardener. It feels like a very genuine tribute, and not just due to the fact that the authors were friends with Lennon. Even from a musical/lyrical standpoint, it feels very authentic. The synthesizers sound a lot like a harpsichord, which calls to mind “In My Life”, and even the “can’t you come out to play?” lyric is just like the lyric in “Dear Prudence”. And, of course, it also helps that the musicians are all great; the drumming is powerful, the bass playing is great, and Elton’s vocal performance is incredibly emotional. You can feel the pain in his voice, it really works. This is my favorite song on the album.

Next is “Princess”. This one’s grown on me, as I used to consider it filler, but the more I listen to it, the more I like it. It actually reminds me quite a bit of the track, “Lonnie and Josie”, a YELLOW BRICK ROAD era track that Elton gave to Kiki Dee. The synthesizers near the end do feel a little excessive for a ballad of this type, but otherwise, the production on it is quite good, with the backing vocals being a highlight.

The next track is “Where Have All The Good Times Gone?” I really like this song; it’s kind of a throwback to the Motown songs of the ’60s, as evidenced by the mentioning of the Four Tops in the chorus. The string arrangement gives it some authenticity as well. Not a lot else to say; I just think it’s really catchy, and there’s great musicianship all around on it.

The album closes with “All Quiet on the Western Front”. When Bernie made his comments on JUMP UP!, I have to wonder if he remembered that this track was on here. In his comments, he mentioned “Empty Garden” as a standout, but dismissed the rest of it, which I think is unfair to the album in general, but it’s especially puzzling with this one. It’s a great track; as you can guess, the lyrics are inspired by the book of the same name and the music has kind of a Christmas feel to it. Very atmospheric, but what I especially love is the coda at the end. I can’t explain it, I just really love the musicianship on it; it has a very grand feeling to it, the right choice for a closer.

So that’s JUMP UP! It’s not quite as good as the album that immediately preceded it or the one that immediately followed it. Even though I liked most of the tracks, the first three are a bit more formulaic, and while “Legal Boys” has a unique style I like, the next album also has a song with that style that I prefer. But, to its credit, it is still a good album overall and the second half in particular is consistently strong, with two deserving hit singles and some underrated gems in the last two tracks. There are some instances where I think the synthesizers are a bit overdone and don’t fit, the first Elton album that I think truly has this problem, but even then, there still are a lot of tracks where it does work like “Empty Garden” and “All Quiet on the Western Front”. Another good album during what I consider Elton’s first comeback period.

Just a couple B-sides this time. First is the “Blue Eyes” B-side, “Hey Papa Legba”, which is (shocker) another 21 AT 33 holdover. It does go on a bit long, but I like it; the horns are catchy and Elton’s piano playing on it is cool too.

And then we have the “Empty Garden” B-side, “Take Me Down to the Ocean”, yet again a 21 AT 33 holdover. I also really like this one; kind of Beach Boys influenced in a way, and the backing vocals especially near the end sound that way. The synth riff is really catchy, the vocals are great...heck, even though it’s not from the sessions, I could very well see this fitting perfectly with the other songs on JUMP UP!, a good replacement for “I Am Your Robot”. There is one other B-side that was released around this time, but I’m going to wait until the next album to talk about it, as I think it tends to be more associated with that album anyway.

Offline HomokHarcos

Yes, I can see why some of the songs on here aren't as well liked, but I would still give this album a plus overall.

"Dear John" is a opener I like. It starts off the album with a catchy, tune. I like the piano solo in the song. I feel mostly the same way about "Spiteful Child", a fun catchy song with a good, brief, instrumental section. The acoustic guitar in "Ball & Chain" was pretty good, I actually wish it would have been just an acoustic song with Elton John doing vocals so the guitar could be in the forefront.

"Legal Boys" has a more emotional pack to it, I agree about feeling fit for a Broadway production or a film score. I could see it being played during a particularly dramatic moment. The strings give the song a little extra punch to it. I viewed "I Am Your Robot" as a fun novelty tune. I like the guitar in the chorus. I definitely don't think this song was meant to be taken seriously, so I will judge it by how much I enjoyed it. "Blue Eyes" and "Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny)" are more mellow tracks that emphasize Elton's vocals. I like how they can showcase different uses of his voice, as Umbrella Sam stated the vocals in "Blue Eyes" are lower pitched, giving it a Sinatra feel (the blue eyes title also reminds me of him).

I thought "Princess" sounded like filler too when I heard it. It's not too offensive, I just didn't find it very memorable of a track. "Where Have All The Good Times Gone" is a good way to follow up the previous tracks. After a few, more serious track, I liked hearing this more danceable track. The strings in the song were giving me disco vibes, which I'm not saying as a negative remark. "All Quiet on the Western Front", I could guess what the lyrics were about from the title of the track. This also sounds like a song that I would imagine in a film, like a montage after the movie ends showing actual pictures of the dead soldiers. I like the organ near the end of the song, it gives off a haunting vibe of what war could bring.

Not an album that I would call one of my favorites, as none of these tracks would make my list of top Elton tracks. Not anything I find terrible either, and that's including "I Am Your Robot".

Offline metaldams

“I AM Your Robot” Elton needs to release a career spanning compilation with this as the opening track followed by “Big Dipper.”  The compilation can be called WTF.  I have to admit I was laughing, but for all the wrong reasons.  Stranger still because the first few bars of the song were kind of heavy but then got weird fast.

Basically a ten song album where I like seven of the songs.  Throw “Princess” and “Where Have All the Good Times Gone” as the other two I don’t like.  Seriously, for the latter, The Kinks already took that title and Van Halen even covered the song in 1982.  But what was worse than that was Elton was treading disco come chorus time.  Ugh!

But the rest is very cool.  Fantastic opening track in “Dear John” whose chorus is in my head as I’m typing this - always a good sign.  “Spiteful Child” is another very cool track and I really love the brief instrumental interlude, it gave me some Billy Idol “White Wedding” vibes.  “Ball and Chain” has this fun, danceable acoustic vibe that is so catchy and “Blue Eyes,” in addition to being a sigh of relief after the previous track, has a cool, smoky vibe to it,

Just in general, there are times in this album where Elton sounds like Freddie Mercury.  It’s like when the 80’s came, their voices got closer to each other.  A good album but a step down from THE FOX.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Just in general, there are times in this album where Elton sounds like Freddie Mercury.  It’s like when the 80’s came, their voices got closer to each other.  A good album but a step down from THE FOX.

Interesting comment. I agree, I’ve long supported the thought that Elton and Freddie’s voices were a lot closer than most people give them credit for. It’s ironic you mention this now, though, as we’ll very soon be approaching the time where that will no longer be the case.

I suppose for “Where Have All The Good Times Gone?”, I should have mentioned that there is an alternate version that ended up as a B-side. You may like that one better, as it’s more hard rocking and de-emphasizes the disco elements to the track. I forgot Van Halen had a track with that title, but from my understanding it was a pretty popular track for them, so I can understand the obvious comparisons.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Next is TOO LOW FOR ZERO, arguably Elton’s most lasting album of the ‘80s. No, it wasn’t his highest charting album of this decade or even the most successful commercially, but it did have multiple big hits that still remain popular today. Many fans consider it his best work of the ‘80s. My thoughts? I think THE FOX and at least one or two other albums are better, but it’s still very good and I think the people who do say that have a good argument.

One good point for that argument is the band lineup: Dee Murray, Nigel Olsson, and Davey Johnstone. Yes, that’s right. Elton finally reunited the classic lineup in 1982 for the JUMP UP! tour, and kept them on to record this album. Elton did work with some great musicians in the interim, creating some really excellent songs in the process. But there is a certain magic to the original lineup; they always seemed to be in perfect sync with each other, knowing the right place at the right time for each member to come in and contribute. They truly felt like an “Elton John Band”, and that continues here, just with an updated ‘80s twist.

Another point in this album’s favor? Well, in addition to the classic band lineup, how about having exclusively John-Taupin songs again? For the first time since BLUE MOVES, Bernie is the main lyrical collaborator. So already, we have most of the elements of the classic Elton John era for this album. But what’s just as interesting is the fact that there is no additional keyboardist. Elton plays every keyboard and synthesizer on this album. In fact, Elton actually wrote a lot of these songs on synthesizers instead of piano, which is a very good approach, as instead of being forced in as an afterthought as they were on some of the JUMP UP! tracks, the synthesizers here feel like a very natural part of the songs considering that’s what they were built around. But once again, we’re getting ahead of ourselves. Let’s do the track-by-track.

The opening song is “Cold as Christmas (in the Middle of the Year)”. If the Elton John Band isn’t enough, the guests on this track read like a “who’s who” list of classic Elton collaborators: Ray Cooper on percussion, Kiki Dee on backing vocals, Skaila Kanga (the harpist on “Your Song”) on harp, this really is a true nostalgia trip. Despite what the title may have you thinking, it’s not actually a Christmas song, more using that as a metaphor for a broken relationship. Very melancholy, but in a good way. As with the other great Elton songs of this type, he sings it so convincingly, you can believe he has experience with this, even though they’re not his lyrics.

The second track is “I’m Still Standing”, one of Elton’s most popular songs of the decade. Yes, it’s overplayed, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s a very catchy song and, lyrically, does capture Elton very well. Through all the troubles he had over the years, he still continued to stand, and still managed to find commercial success for a longer time than a lot of the acts from his era did. The guitar and bass work are fantastic, and I just love hearing that backing vocal combination again. I think I mentioned this before, but I consider the vocal combination of Dee, Davey and Nigel just as important to the classic Elton sound as Elton himself; they just go together so well and have a unique sound that’s never entirely been recaptured.

Next is the title track, which is my least favorite track on the album. As I mentioned, most of these songs were written on synthesizers and are often based around that. However, most of the songs also balance it properly with the right amount of guitars, bass and drums, similar to how the classic albums do so with Elton’s piano. The synthesizers dominate this track, though, which doesn’t necessarily make it bad; some of the effects are cool, but relying on that alone dates the song more than anything else. “Nobody Wins” was heavily programmed too, but it also told this lyrically heartbreaking story that it felt like it was supporting properly. “Too Low For Zero” feels like it’s trying to recapture that, and while the lyrics are definitely sad and relatable, the synthesizers kind of unfocused, especially near the end when they go psychedelic with random different synth sounds. It’s an interesting curiosity especially when you remember the synthesizers are all performed by Elton, but I do think it’s a bit too technical for its own good, and the almost 6 minute running time doesn’t help.

Thankfully, the next track is “Religion”, a guitar-heavy track. There’s really not a whole lot for me to say about it; I just find this track really catchy. It shows off once again just how great of a guitarist Davey is while at the same time being backed by the dependable rhythm section of Dee and Nigel, and Elton and Davey do some really great interplay during the solo section. One effect that’s always stood out to me about this song is that whenever Dee, Davey, and Nigel sing the word “stereo”, it kind of does sound like they’re actually singing it through a radio. It contributes to the kind of “summer” vibe the track musically has to it. Great track; I really like it.

Closing out side 1 is “I Guess That’s Why They Call It the Blues”, another popular song deserving of its status. Elton’s piano playing is great, the band once again sounds really tight and there’s even a harmonica solo from the great Stevie Wonder. It actually kind of feels like something that could have been on one of his ‘70s albums, as it focuses more on piano than synthesizers, the only major difference being Elton’s lower register vocals. Such a beautiful song and a great side closer.

Side 2 opens with “Crystal”, a song that definitely couldn’t have been on a ‘70s Elton John album, as it is much more synth based. But it’s still a good song. Unlike “Too Low For Zero”, and more in line with most of the other tracks, the synthesizers feel much more balanced out with the rest of the band. Some great bass work from Dee on this one, especially in the last minute or so, and it’s nice hearing Elton try the occasional synth solo, which again is something you don’t hear often. It’s a good song with kind of a haunting atmosphere; it even opens with kind of a similar effect to the opening of “Funeral For a Friend”.

Track 7 is “Kiss the Bride”, a single that didn’t take off as well commercially as “I’m Still Standing” or “Blues”, which is a shame because it is also a really good, radio friendly number. Great synth and guitar combination; once again, Davey pulls off another great guitar solo, and I love how all the backing vocals bring everything back together when the solo ends back into the chorus. I still can’t understand why it didn’t take off, because it is really catchy.

Next is “Whipping Boy”, probably the most guitar-heavy track on the album. This one’s conflicting, because musically and productionwise, it’s really solid; the guitar riff is catchy and the drums are particularly heavy. But the lyrics are pretty creepy; knowing Bernie, he probably wrote it as some kind of weird joke, although the theme also reminds me of a certain later song he unfortunately wrote. Just ignore the lyrics and this one’s fun to listen to.

Track 9 is my favorite track on the album, “Saint”. I love everything about this song. I love how it starts with this trumpet style synthesizer sound, how it starts off somewhat quiet, and then in the first chorus, the drums come in and it plays almost like a stadium rocker. The chorus is beautiful; once again, some really fantastic bass work from Dee and the synthesizer really feels like it’s in tune with the rest of the song. It feels like this is a song meant to be played on a synthesizer. The closing guitar solo fadeout is also very emotional. Fantastic track.

Closing out the track is the also fantastic, “One More Arrow”. It’s kind of similar to “Legal Boys” in that it has this Broadway style arrangement, but this one has the advantage of having Dee, Davey and Nigel backing it. Seriously, those backing vocals during the final chorus are so effective emotionally; I know I’ve said this before, but I just love getting to hear that classic backing vocal combination again. Elton’s vocals are performed in falsetto, one of the last major times he does so and the arrangement starts off sparse only to become much heavier in the final chorus, even including a James Newton Howard orchestral arrangement, and it’s very effective. A very good song to close out the album with.

And that’s TOO LOW FOR ZERO. Yes, I wish the lyrics to “Whipping Boy” were different and I’m not crazy about the title track (I don’t necessarily think it’s bad, though). But otherwise, this is a really well put together album and having the classic lineup gives it a real authenticity. If I had never heard an ‘80s Elton album before, this is what I would honestly expect it to sound like. More synth based, but more in a way that it’s just replacing Elton’s piano and the rest of the band is working around it in the same way they would around Elton’s piano on the classic era albums. I really do think the fact that Elton not only played all of the synthesizers but also wrote the songs on them really helps as well. It doesn’t feel like they’re being used for the sake of using them; these feel like songs that were specifically built around these new devices and therefore need to be played on them. Chris Thomas does a great job with the production, and it all feels like a true team effort, just like the old days. Definitely worth checking out.

As for B-sides, there are a few, though keeping in line with the theme of Elton B-sides in the early 1980s, most of them do not come from these sessions. First is “Earn While You Learn”, a holdover from A SINGLE MAN which was released as the B-side to the UK single for “I’m Still Standing”. It’s an instrumental, and I think it was very fitting of them to release it around this time. Similar to TOO LOW FOR ZERO itself, the song features Elton experimenting with various keyboard sounds. It’s a pretty cool experience, even if it does get a bit repetitive at times.

Next is the UK B-side to “Kiss the Bride”, another SINGLE MAN holdover called “Dreamboat”. The version of this track that’s on the TOO LOW FOR ZERO remastered CD and on streaming services is actually not the version originally released on vinyl, but instead it is an extended version. It’s a decent song; the chorus is fun and the backing vocals are especially spirited, but it does get pretty repetitive in the extended version. Obviously the shorter version lacks that repetition, but I actually think it fades a bit too early, because despite the extended version’s ridiculous runtime, it does feature a very excellent Paul Buckmaster arrangement that you can’t really appreciate on the original vinyl because of how early it fades.

Next is “Choc Ice Goes Mental”, the UK B-side to “I Guess That’s Why They Call It the Blues”, and this actually was recorded during the TOO LOW FOR ZERO sessions. It’s a pub style instrumental that sounds like it was recorded in someone’s basement. If you like that type of thing, maybe you’ll enjoy this. I don’t.

And finally, we have the U.S. B-side to “Blues”, “The Retreat”, which is a 21 AT 33 holdover. And this is another track where I find myself asking, “how did this not make the original album?!” Much like “All Quiet in the Western Front”, it lyrically describes life during war. The chorus is super memorable and the musical accompaniment is great, including some organ accompaniment from Toto’s David Paich. The only thing I’m not crazy about is the “flying saucer” style ending, but that’s a very minor complaint compared to how memorable the rest of this song is, and I think its creators would agree, as it’s shown up on multiple compilations throughout the years, including the TOO LOW FOR ZERO remastered CD, the TO BE CONTINUED box set from 1990, and even the recent JEWEL BOX box set.

Offline HomokHarcos

An album with good tracks on it, I am surprised to be hearing some songs I still recognize and like, even if we're getting further away from his "golden age" there are still some tracks definitely worth listening to. The two songs I was most familiar with were "I'm Still Standing"  and "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues". Both songs I hear a lot at my work, and because of that I assumed it was from the earlier period. My views on them are a little different. I liked "I'm Still Standing" right away, it's just so catchy and fun that it's easy to like. "I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues" is a song that didn't make much of an impression on me at first, but I have enjoyed more as I listen to it now. Fitting with the blues theme, I could totally get it being played at a bar.

"Cold as Christmas (In the Middle of the Year)" is an interesting way to open the album. Usually his opening tracks are rocking and upbeat songs, but this one starts off with a more somber, serious track. I liked this song, though. "One More Arrow" bookends the album with another more downbeat track. As for the more upbeat tracks? I really liked "Religion", "Whipping Boy" and "Kiss the Bride". "Whipping Boy" was a good rocking tune, I didn't really know what the lyrics were about, so they didn't bother me. "Too Low for Zero" and "Crystal" were the most dated feeling tracks on the album. They scream 80s with those synthesizers. I was a bigger fan of "Crystal" as I felt it made better use of the synths.

What I had the most fun was listening to the B sides, those are definitely my favorite releases from this period. I didn't listen to the B sides from Jump Up! last time, but I got around to it this time. "Hey Papa Legba" was really fun, I liked the horns in it as you mentioned. "Take Me to the Ocean" did remind me of The Beach Boys too, it almost sounds like it could be a tribute, especially in the chorus and with the ocean lyrics. I was a really big fan of "Earn While You Learn". It took me by surprise, and it might be one of my favorite Elton songs believe it or not. A song I definitely didn't get sick of. "Chock Ice Mental" I even liked. It reminds me of a 1890s bar setting, the audio quality even gives off that vibe.

I enjoyed the album, and really had a blast with the B sides!

Offline metaldams

First off, what I’m about to say I’m surprised this is the first time I’m going to say.  My previous Elton experience is some familiarity with a few classic era albums and I know the hits of that era.  After the classic era, my familiarity drops off but I figure there’s gotta be some song I’ve heard but didn’t realize it was Elton.  Well, it finally happened as I definitely know “I Guess That’s Why They Call It the Blues.”  Great song with some cool Davey Johnstone guitar playing and is there a more distinct harmonica guy than Stevie Wonder?  Obvious it’s him.

My overall impression is this is a very enjoyable album and there is not one track I disliked.  The vast majority of it, I would say tracks 2 - 8, sounded like a consistently enjoyable upbeat pop album with a lot of cool electronic sounds.  I really love the electric guitar and synth playing throughout this album.  After track eight things got a bit moodier on the final two tracks and my theory of Elton and 80’s Queen morphing into each other on occasion rings true here.I can totally picture Freddie singing “One More Arrow.”

I dug Elton’s piano solo on the title track and loved Dee’s bass on “Crystal” very much.  Cool to see the band truly back together and Bernie back full time as well.  So overall, a very enjoyable pop album and I would say perhaps the only thing missing are the occasional dramatic and progressive elements of his classic work, but again, what’s here is fine.  In 1983?  Even the mainstream progressive bands were going pop.

I also have this weird theory about 60’s and 70’s artists,  I always think for the most part, their last good works in the 80’s were around ‘83 or ‘84 and then they drift for a while.  I’m curious if this happens to Elton.  But TOO LOW FOR ZERO, in 1983?  A thumbs up for me.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

The relationship between TOO LOW FOR ZERO and BREAKING HEARTS is kind of similar to that of Black Sabbath with HEAVEN AND HELL and MOB RULES. Sensing a successful formula with TOO LOW FOR ZERO, Elton basically went ahead and did it again. Dee, Davey and Nigel joined Elton once again at the AIR studios in Montserrat with Chris Thomas again acting as producer. One noticeable personnel change was the recording engineer. On the previous album it was Bill Price. For this album, Renate Blauel, who was a tape operator on the previous album, got the job; before the release of BREAKING HEARTS, she would end up becoming Elton John’s wife!

Besides that change, this album pretty much followed the same process as TOO LOW FOR ZERO. All Bernie lyrics, songs written on synthesizers, all synthesizers on the final album played by Elton. And yet, somehow this one doesn’t seem to get as much love as TOO LOW FOR ZERO, even though it did have some hits, including another track that would survive the ‘80s and still end up on Elton’s setlist even for the farewell tour. From a lyrical perspective, I can kind understand, as they often seem to cover similar ground, especially failing relationships and breakups. However, I think BREAKING HEARTS is just as good as TOO LOW FOR ZERO.

The first song is “Restless”, a hard rock song in the old tradition of something like “Saturday Night’s Alright (For Fighting)”. Very guitar heavy, and Elton recaptures that kind of gravelly tone he had in songs like “Saturday” and “Grow Some Funk of Your Own”. It’s a good opener.

Next is “Slow Down Georgie (She’s Poison)”. This is a really awesome track. It’s one of those songs that starts off kind of quiet and slow, but then suddenly turns into this really catchy rock number. The chorus is super catchy, and I love the build up into it, especially those wonderful backing vocals. The drumming is great, the bass work is great...this is a song that really feels like a traditional Elton piece off of something like DON’T SHOOT ME I’M THE ONLY PIANO PLAYER.

The third track is “Who Wears These Shoes?”, a top 20 hit here in the U.S., and also my least favorite song on the album. There’s nothing inherently wrong with it; the “Who wears these shoes” lyrical hook is kind of catchy, but the song doesn’t really feel like it builds to anything, it’s always the same rhythm, same key. That kind of thing can work with something that immediately pulls you in, but this one doesn’t; the beginning sounds kind of generic. It’s fine, just nothing super special.

That’s followed by “Breaking Hearts (Ain’t What It Used to Be)”. This is a ballad, an almost lullaby style song with just Elton on piano; the band appears, but only on backing vocals. I think it’s done very well; there are times where the backing vocals are so high it almost sounds like they brought in completely different singers, but they really were just that talented. And Elton’s vocals of course are fantastic as well, occasionally making use of his falsetto, but for the most part keeping it grounded and sounding like he’s in some kind of despair.

Side 1 closes with “Li’l Frigerator”, which is more in line with the first three tracks. I really like the synthesizer sounds during the chorus and the saxophone/guitar-focused instrumental section is effective. Not much more to say than that; it’s another good rock track.

Side 2 opens with “Passengers”. This one is credited to Elton, Bernie, Davey and Phineas Mkhize. The reason for this is that the main synth melody is based off of Mkhize’s song, “Isonto Lezayone”. It’s a good riff too; very catchy and it captures the anti-apartheid theme of the song very well. Even the verses manage to capture the African theme thanks to the light synthesizer sounds. A really unique song in the Elton catalog; definitely worth checking out.

I also really like the next track, “In Neon”. A tale of broken dreams while trying to find success in a Hollywood or Broadway type setting, this is a very beautiful ballad, with lots of acoustic guitar and a heavy amount of keyboards; in addition to synthesizers and piano, Elton also plays Fender Rhodes and harpsichord on this track. The backing vocals are beautiful, the chorus is lovely, and it feels like it captures the full story as written in Bernie’s lyrics. It was released as a single, but bombed, which is a shame, as I think it’s one of the best tracks on the album.

And yet, my favorite track is actually the next one, “Burning Buildings”. It’s another one of those songs that’s constantly changing throughout; the verses start off in a different key, then build up to a really dramatic chorus. There’s even a cool little Spanish-inspired instrumental section near the end before going into one final chorus. It’s such a great ballad; the vocals from everyone involved are fantastic, the drums are really heavy during the choruses, you get to hear more acoustic piano than usual. A really well produced track, highly recommended.

Next is “Did He Shoot Her?” Definitely an odd title and lyric, but it does have a lot of catchy hooks in it. This is a bit more of a synth heavy rock track. It also uses sitar, and quite effectively; the sitar kind of contributes to the technical atmosphere of the production, but it’s not so technical to the point that it’s lifeless. It’s just a fun track in a digital style. I could see some people not liking this one, but I enjoy it.

The last track is also the most known track, “Sad Songs (Say So Much)”. It’s not hard to see why this is the one track that lasted all these years, as it does have a certain energy in it live that keeps the crowd engaged. I saw Elton live again last month and this was the one that really stuck out to me; I could just feel the energy in the stadium, it felt so lively. As far as the studio version goes, it’s really good. Also kind of synth heavy, with a good solid drum beat, this is a tribute to sad songs while ironically being very joyous in its own musical approach. And joyous it is, very much a sing along type of song, and a great way to close out the album.

And finally, there are 2 B-sides, both of them older songs that were not from these sessions. “A Simple Man” is kind of just an average country number, nothing super special. “Lonely Boy”, on the other hand, is amazing. Very synth heavy with some awesome guitar work (probably Steve Lukather) and lots of hooks throughout; the jamming near the end is great, everyone’s in top form.

BREAKING HEARTS was another commercial success for Elton, charting even higher than TOO LOW FOR ZERO did in both the U.S. and the U.K. A successful tour followed showing the classic lineup still had what it took to make a great show. And so, taking all of this into account, Elton....split the band again. Yes, in a pretty familiar repeat of what happened before, Elton retained Davey, but let Dee and Nigel go. Only this time, the split would be a bit more permanent. While this isn’t the last album to feature the classic lineup together, it is the last to feature them together playing their respective instruments. And honestly, it’s a pretty good way to go out. A big focus on rock, along with a really catchy anti-apartheid song, three beautiful ballads and ending with a certified classic, it’s a consistently strong album. I really do consider it and TOO LOW FOR ZERO to be on the same level; the engagement from everyone is still there.

So, we once again say goodbye to Dee and Nigel, where to next? Well, ROCK OF THE WESTIES was the album that followed CAPTAIN FANTASTIC, and I really liked that album, so who knows? Maybe the next album could also be really good. OK, so what’s the next album?

Offline metaldams

BREAKING HEARTS is another good album, one that for me has a stronger side one than a side two.  Actually, side one is fantastic!  The side is bookended by two great rockers and in between are some fine ballads, pop songs and rock bits.  Really entertaining.  “Restless” sounds like a latter day Stones rocker and man, listen to how meaty sounding that bass is!  Actually, the production on this album as a whole is pretty good.

Side two - well….I do like “In Neon” and “Burning Buildings” a lot.  “Passengers” is almost reggae like at parts and not quite my style and “Did He Shoot Her?” a bit too robotic rhythmically.  “Sad Songs (Say So Much),” a hit single, is a pretty good way to end the album.  It’s a catchy chorus and I can understand why it was deemed hit worthy.

So yeah, overall, classic side one, mixed side two with some good stuff thrown in means overall I like this.  One great thing about this exercise is it got me to explore Elton past the mid 70’s and I’m finding this early 80’s stuff has a lot to recommend, so I will definitely be listening to these albums again at some point.  As far as what I call the curse of 1985 for 60’s and 70’s artists, Darth Vader told me this may be the case with Elton.  Vee shall see.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

BREAKING HEARTS is another good album, one that for me has a stronger side one than a side two.  Actually, side one is fantastic!  The side is bookended by two great rockers and in between are some fine ballads, pop songs and rock bits.  Really entertaining.  “Restless” sounds like a latter day Stones rocker and man, listen to how meaty sounding that bass is!  Actually, the production on this album as a whole is pretty good.

Side two - well….I do like “In Neon” and “Burning Buildings” a lot.  “Passengers” is almost reggae like at parts and not quite my style and “Did He Shoot Her?” a bit too robotic rhythmically.  “Sad Songs (Say So Much),” a hit single, is a pretty good way to end the album.  It’s a catchy chorus and I can understand why it was deemed hit worthy.

So yeah, overall, classic side one, mixed side two with some good stuff thrown in means overall I like this.  One great thing about this exercise is it got me to explore Elton past the mid 70’s and I’m finding this early 80’s stuff has a lot to recommend, so I will definitely be listening to these albums again at some point.  As far as what I call the curse of 1985 for 60’s and 70’s artists, Darth Vader told me this may be the case with Elton.  Vee shall see.

Yeah, your 1985 prediction was quite spot on, but I figured I’d wait until we at least got through BREAKING HEARTS.

Offline HomokHarcos

I enjoyed this album over Too Low for Zero, and that was mostly due to how good the beginning of the album was (I agree with Metaldams on this). A very strong opening rock track with “Restless”. I think opening an album with a track like this makes more sense than what they did in Too Low for Zero. “Slow Down Georgie (She’s Poison)” was my favorite track on the album. I loved the acoustic opening and was expecting to to stay like that, but when it changed to a more rocking tune I was fine with that too! Very catchy like Umbrella Sam stated.

I didn't think "Who Wears these Shoes?" was bad, it just had an odd placement on the album. I think it should have been placed later, as we had two upbeat tracks to open the album and we could have used a ballad. Speaking of ballads “Breaking Hearts (Ain’t What It Used to Be)” was a good one at that. Although the band were only on backing vocals, that was my favorite part of the song, it added something to the track to make it even better. “Li’l Frigerator” was a another great hard rock track. I never really thought that was mostly his style, but he made quite a few of songs like this.

After that I find the tracks were mostly forgettable. I agree "Burning Buildings" was a touching track, and maybe the best from this run. I did recognize “Sad Songs (Say So Much)”. It's a song I've heard many times before, and I think it was as good as hits from Too Low for Zero.

My overall verdict? I think I preferred it over Too Low for Zero because of the beginning of the album.

Offline metaldams

Yesterday I watched the DVD with a friend of that show Elton did in 2001 in Turkey where he was just singing and playing piano with no band.  It was awesome.  “Burn the Mission Down” was especially good and I even liked “Crocodile Rock” somewhat with a more stripped down arrangement.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Well, after a pretty good comeback, Elton immediately fell to rock bottom with ICE ON FIRE. In my opinion, ICE ON FIRE is the worst Elton John album. What’s that? I said that VICTIM OF LOVE was the worst Elton John album? Well, technically yes, it is worse considering the lack of variety, but as I’ve stated before, I don’t really consider it an Elton John album. ICE ON FIRE is a real Elton John album; he wrote the songs and plays keyboards, although half the time, the production is so all over the place that it’s hard to tell where he’s playing.

That last part may seem shocking because a quick glance shows that the producer is none other than Gus Dudgeon. Yeah, the man behind TUMBLEWEED CONNECTION, GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD, and CAPTAIN FANTASTIC is also behind this mess. Elton fans criticize Chris Thomas, but at least he had a technical mindset and knew how to work with that. Even if I didn’t like the title track on TOO LOW FOR ZERO, it at least feels like it was a track that was meant to be played on a synthesizer. Dudgeon seems like he just has to throw in synths and drum machines simply for the purpose of filling space. No, it’s not entirely fair to blame all of the album’s problems on Dudgeon considering the quality of songwriting, but...man, he does not help.

The lineups are all over the place on this album. Davey is here, as is keyboardist Fred Mandel, who had played on the BREAKING HEARTS tour and will stick around for the rest of the decade. It’s kind of a “Who’s who?” lineup; George Michael, Roger Taylor and John Deacon of Queen, Pino Palladino; there are great musicians here, but they just feel so lost in the shuffle. It rarely has heart or emotion; it’s a very cold album. Let’s get to the track-by-track.

The opening track is “This Town”. For all the complaining I do with this album, I do have to admit that this is a pretty decent track. Granted, it doesn’t compare to any of the opening tracks from earlier in the decade, but the horn section and backing vocals do give it some much needed life. The bass playing’s actually kind of cool too, the more I think about it I actually do enjoy this song more than I used to. At the same time, though, just listen to that intro. Almost immediately, you can tell that the synthesizers are going to dominate like crazy, and not in the kind of way where they help.

The next track, “Cry to Heaven” has probably been the biggest revelation this listening. When you get down to the song at hand, it’s actually good, and Dudgeon’s production works most of the time. There are still cases where he throws in a random synthesizer sound that doesn’t fit, like during the line “I saw a black cat”, but there are also cases where he does capture this lonely, isolating atmosphere while at the same time not keeping the song too stark. A pleasant surprise to revisit.

Track 3 is “Soul Glove”. The production on this track actually isn’t bad either, but... this song is super generic. It doesn’t help that it’s another dance song which we just had with “This Town”. The styles are already beginning to feel limited, we’re a long way from true rock and roll here. It’s not terrible or anything, but it’s just not an engaging track whatsoever.

And then we have the main reason people remember this album: “Nikita”. This was a huge hit, reaching the top 10 in the U.S. and the UK and still often finds itself included on Greatest Hits packages. I have never liked this track; on GREATEST HITS 1970-2002, this was always the one track I would skip, it just sounds so bland and ugly from a production standpoint. I can understand how it was a hit when you take into account Cold War sensibilities and, therefore, the song being relevant, but it just doesn’t sound good. The drums and percussion don’t sound good, the synthesizers don’t sound natural to the song. George Michael also appears on backing vocals at the end and, man, it really brings the song down even more. Nothing against George Michael, but his high pitched singing at the end is really out of place; they’re trying to do this dramatic ending and they have Michael doing this weird screeching on top of it. So yeah, the production is bad, but even as written, I just don’t like this song. I’ve heard solo renditions of this and it still doesn’t sound good to me. Even when placing the lyrics in their time, it still just feels like such a formulaic ballad. And unfortunately, things get even worse with the next track.

The next track is “Too Young”, which gets my vote for the worst Elton John song. The lyrics are ridiculously creepy, it wastes guest appearances from John Deacon and Roger Taylor thanks to bad synth sounds and way too much percussion, the guitar sounds too distant. It’s a terrible sounding and written track, and I would much rather listen to “I Am Your Robot”. I know I haven’t actually said that much about it, but frankly, I just get sick talking about it. Next!

Side 2 opens with “Wrap Her Up”, which was another single. Once again, Elton is joined by George Michael, though this time it’s more of a duet, and Michael’s high pitched vocals actually work in the context of this song. It’s more upbeat, and the vocals do work well off of Elton’s lower pitched vocals; there’s a reason these two would have a big hit together later on. There are elements to this song that I like; I think the string arrangement is pretty decent and there is a sense of fun between the band here that felt lacking on “Soul Glove”; apparently, this originated as a jam of Roy Orbison’s “Dream Baby” before turning into something else. That being said, it still does scream “overdone pop machine”. The horns actually feel a bit overbearing at times and there’s an occasional sense in loss of direction. The throwing out names at the end thing may seem like a fun novelty to simply check what names you recognize, but it still doesn’t warrant the amount of time dedicated to it. I guess you could argue that it was cut for the single release and therefore works better there, but...I don’t know, to me it’s still not that interesting, but others may like it.

OK, “Satellite”. The intro is way too long and sounds too digital. When we finally get to the actual song, it’s not an improvement. Super generic melody matched with too many digital sounds and some average studio drum work.

Then we have “Tell Me What the Papers Say”, yet again another attempt to do a dance song like “This Town”, only this time with the horns replaced by stiff keyboards attempting to sound like horns. I don’t mean to knock Fred Mandel; he did some good work with Elton as time went along, but on this album in particular, things just kind of feel like they’re being thrown together without any of the emotion of previous albums. Not much else to say; not terrible, but it’s not enjoyable either.

“Candy By the Pound” is fine; at the very least, it sounds like they’re trying to break out of the repetitive mold as this sounds more like a funk song, and the keyboards actually sound pretty good on it as well. The melody still isn’t that memorable, but considering some of the other tracks on here, this song can get a pass for that.

The closing track is “Shoot Down the Moon”. This is a song I feel I should like; it’s got an interesting title and the synth effects have a “Cry to Heaven” feel that creates a dark atmosphere. It’s definitely not as bad as some of these other tracks, but at the same time, it actually comes across as a bit boring and I think the slightly more minimalist style really shows off the problems with Elton’s voice. Oh, did I forget to mention that? Yes, this is the album where Elton’s voice really starts to change. Elton’s change to a permanent lower range is a debatable topic. Honestly, I think he adapted quite well to it and still had a very rich and warm sound, but that was after the vocal surgery. Here, it sounds strained, and you can tell he was starting to develop some sort of problem, one that would become more apparent the next year while on tour. It’s not a bad song, but I never find myself coming back to it.

As for additional tracks, one of them is “Act of War”, a duet with Millie Jackson that was included as a bonus track on early CD editions of ICE ON FIRE. It sucks; don’t listen to it.

And finally we have “The Man Who Never Died”, which was the B-side to “Wrap Her Up” (U.S.) and “Nikita” (UK). This is an instrumental that’s superior to anything on the album, so it should probably come as no surprise that this actually was not written during the ICE ON FIRE sessions. It’s actually a track that Elton wrote in response to John Lennon’s death, but after Taupin wrote “Empty Garden”, it got pushed aside in favor of that track. Dudgeon later revived it by adding synthesizers and drum machines, but they actually do work in the context of the song. It’s like “Cry to Heaven” and “Shoot Down the Moon” in that they build upon the dark atmosphere and yet it somehow seems even more controlled, maybe because it is an instrumental and more attention had to be put on those kinds of details. It has kind of a “Song For Guy” effect, and it pulls it off very well.

And that’s ICE ON FIRE. I will admit, my opinion on it has slightly improved considering I never really gave much attention to “Cry to Heaven” before, but even that’s not enough to improve my opinion drastically. I still consider it the worst Elton John album; most fans argue that the next album, LEATHER JACKETS is worse, and we’ll get to that soon enough, but at the very least, I’ll say for now that there are songs on there that I like from start to finish. Even the better songs on ICE ON FIRE still have problems; it’s so odd how big of a shift in tone there is between BREAKING HEARTS and this, they could almost sound like different artists, even though BREAKING HEARTS was also a synth heavy album. It’s not just the production, though. Heavy reliance on synths and drum machines would continue to be a thing for Elton even into the ‘90s, with varying degrees of success, but the quality of songs were, for the most part, more like Elton. Songs like “Nikita” and “Satellite” feel like they could have been written by just about anyone. They’re super generic and as a result, I don’t think it’s fair to entirely blame Dudgeon for their failures. At the very least, things do get better from here...well for me, I am very curious to hear everyone’s thoughts on LEATHER JACKETS.

Offline metaldams

I actually enjoyed ICE ON FIRE a lot more than I thought I would.  No, it’s not anywhere near the classics but it’s an enjoyable 80’s pop album.  I think I’m developing a soft spot in my heart the older I get for this kind of thing - I was six when this was released and for better or worse, that synthetic 80’s sound are my first memories of contemporary music.  Sounds like the kind of thing that would play at the mall when my mother and grandmother were dragging me and my brother around clothes shopping.

The two ballads, “Cry to Heaven” and “Shoot Down the Moon” stand out majorly here.  The (relatively) stripped down feel gives these songs some distinction and I really enjoyed them both.  I didn’t notice anything with Elton’s voice but yes, I heard he had polyps removed around this time, or something like that.  A friend of mine, who I’m actually going to hang out with today, swears the live versions from the 80’s with this voice gave some of the old songs a different character.

The rest of the album was simply highly produced 80’s pop with some Elton style songwriting.  He seems to eschew the progressive elements for straight pop at this point, but again, I find it enjoyable in an 80’s way.  Crazy how starting in the mid 80’s, nobody from Elton’s generation could do a subtle production.  It’s like the new technology and trends effected them the same way.

George Michael having an appearance gave me a smile.  I never owned anything by him, but he was a constant presence when I was a kid nonetheless on MTV and I was bummed when he passed.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I actually enjoyed ICE ON FIRE a lot more than I thought I would.  No, it’s not anywhere near the classics but it’s an enjoyable 80’s pop album.  I think I’m developing a soft spot in my heart the older I get for this kind of thing - I was six when this was released and for better or worse, that synthetic 80’s sound are my first memories of contemporary music.  Sounds like the kind of thing that would play at the mall when my mother and grandmother were dragging me and my brother around clothes shopping.

The two ballads, “Cry to Heaven” and “Shoot Down the Moon” stand out majorly here.  The (relatively) stripped down feel gives these songs some distinction and I really enjoyed them both.  I didn’t notice anything with Elton’s voice but yes, I heard he had polyps removed around this time, or something like that.  A friend of mine, who I’m actually going to hang out with today, swears the live versions from the 80’s with this voice gave some of the old songs a different character.

The rest of the album was simply highly produced 80’s pop with some Elton style songwriting.  He seems to eschew the progressive elements for straight pop at this point, but again, I find it enjoyable in an 80’s way.  Crazy how starting in the mid 80’s, nobody from Elton’s generation could do a subtle production.  It’s like the new technology and trends effected them the same way.

George Michael having an appearance gave me a smile.  I never owned anything by him, but he was a constant presence when I was a kid nonetheless on MTV and I was bummed when he passed.

Your friend is right. If you listen to the LIVE IN AUSTRALIA album which was recorded right before his vocal surgery, there is a certain brave feeling to his vocal performances. You can tell at times that he’s struggling, but he sings songs like “Your Song” as though they may be his last performances, which they very well could have been, and it is really impressive when he does get the high notes on those songs.

As for ICE ON FIRE, I’m glad you were able to find enjoyment in it, even if I’m not a fan. I can see what you mean about developing a soft spot for that kind of music; even though I was never exactly into early 2000s music when it was popular, I do find myself occasionally feeling nostalgia for some of those early 2000s tracks that I heard on the radio as a kid.

Offline HomokHarcos

I listened to this album before reading your review, and I seemed to enjoy it more than you did. I used to not like synthpop, but I'm starting to warm up a bit to it. At this point I'm not expecting Elton's albums to match his 1970s peak, so I'm more just enjoying them as music releases, aside from a double punch to the gut at a certain point during this album.

Some of the upbeats tracks I really liked. "This Town" was a good way to start off the album, and I liked hearing some of the other upbeat songs like "Soul Glove". Not just doing fun songs, he also had some ballads I liked, "Cry Me to Heaven" and "Shoot the Moon" like metaldams mentioned, are also good songs.

"Wrap Her Up" was my favorite song on the album, I liked it a lot. It reminded me of new wave, and it is a song I would probably play at a family party. I know I will personally put in on in a setting like that eventually. George Michael's high-pitched vocals really added to this track. One of my favorite Elton songs after his golden age. "Satellite" was enjoyable when it started, but I think it went on for a little too long.

That brings me to the main issue with this album, two tracks you also didn't like: "Nikita" and "Too Young". My thoughts on hearing "Too Young" was also "bland" and "worst Elton song so far", so I laughed when I saw that's how you described also described it! Both songs I found very boring, and they seemed to go on forever with no end in sight. It didn't help that they were sequenced back-to-back either. That alone would dampen my excitement a little if I ever listened through this full album again.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Well, we’re finally here. The album that often finds itself near the bottom of Elton John album rankings, the album that Elton John himself has declared his worst album, the album that tanked commercially (it peaked at 91 in the U.S. and had no Top 40 singles). Is it as bad as everyone says it is?

…No. To me, ICE ON FIRE is clearly the worse album. That doesn’t mean it’s devoid of bad moments; there are a couple of songs that are as bad as some of the tracks on ICE ON FIRE, but in general, the album is more of a combination between songs that are just kind of forgettable and songs that I actually enjoy, including one that I think is among his most underrated. But once again, we’re getting ahead of ourselves. What’s the story behind this one?

Kind of a mess, to be honest. Elton has described the recording of this album as a very drug heavy atmosphere and considers that a major reason why it became a so-called “disaster”. I’ve often suspected that ICE ON FIRE was recorded under similar circumstances, but I haven’t seen that confirmed. As a matter of fact, some of the tracks on this album were actually tracks that didn’t make ICE ON FIRE. Once again, Gus Dudgeon is producing and it’s again filled with guest stars; John Deacon and Roger Taylor are back, Cher co-wrote a song, there’s a duet with Cliff Richard. Let’s dive in.

First up is the title track. I always thought this was such an odd title for an album of this period; it made it seem dated even when it was released. As far as the track itself, it’s dominated by synths and electronic percussion, as is expected by this point. It’s not particularly memorable, but it also doesn’t drag in a way that the worse ICE ON FIRE tracks do; this track doesn’t offend me in any way. It’s in one ear and out the other, it’s just OK.

The second track is “Hoop of Fire”. Despite his hatred of the album, Elton himself has singled out this track in both his autobiography and on JEWEL BOX as a standout. I guess I could see why; it’s a bit more dramatic and there is some good piano and guitar work, especially near the end. I wouldn’t go as far as he goes in praising this one, but it does kind of have a charm to it; this one’s kind of grown on me over the years.

Track 3 is the Cher collaboration, “Don’t Trust That Woman”. Cher had previously collaborated with a man named Les Dudek to record this track, but apparently decided to have Elton try it out several years later. I have no idea what made this so appealing, because these lyrics are atrocious. Seriously, I can’t even imagine how these lyrics were considered worthy enough to have a song written around them. But what’s even stranger is that, despite these awful lyrics, the music and production are actually kind of decent. Yeah, there actually is kind of an upbeat, infectious quality to the music here; it’s one of those tracks where the lyrics and melody feel so mismatched that I wish the melody had been applied to something else entirely. This one’s weird.

Track 4 is “Go It Alone”. I like this track; it’s very electronic and a product of its time, sure, but it does have kind of a fun quality to it; I feel like there was a lot of energy put into this. The guitar work is good, the electronic drums work, the opening is kind of cool. It’s by no means a masterpiece, but it’s still enjoyable.

And then we get to my favorite track on the album, the track that I consider among Elton’s best of the ‘80s, the incredibly underrated and beautiful “Gypsy Heart”. When I first heard LEATHER JACKETS, I was stunned to find that a song of this quality had come out of these sessions. In fact, it apparently comes from the ICE ON FIRE sessions! While there are other tracks on LEATHER JACKETS that I like, I also know that they’re products of their time, and I could see people making arguments against them. But I will always continue to defend this one; this sounds like something that could have been on THE FOX. Elton’s piano is much more prominent than usual, the backing vocals at times sound like Davey, Dee and Nigel, the chorus is absolutely beautiful, supported by some fantastic guitar chords from Davey. This is a true Elton John ballad; no over reliance on synths, no distracting high pitched vocals, the melody is distinct and not generic at all; the difference between this and “Nikita” is shocking. It’s insane that it got rejected for ICE ON FIRE as it is much better than any song that made that album. Wonderful song, I absolutely love it.

Track 6 is “Slow Rivers”, the duet with Cliff Richard. Richard isn’t someone I’m too familiar with. I know he had hits, and in fact one song he recorded, “Annabella Umbrella”, was actually demoed by Elton in the ‘60s when he was still an unknown session singer. Richard’s voice works pretty well off of Elton’s in this song, and overall, the song is pretty decent too. The chorus is memorable and it even has a string arrangement. Not much else to say; it’s another song I like.

Next up is “Heartache All Over the World”, the album’s lead single. This is another one of those tracks that often comes up when fans are discussing the topic of “worst Elton John song”. Even Elton himself tends to single this one out when discussing why he doesn’t like the album. My thoughts? I like it, and not just because the music video has a ton of silent movie clips in it (although that is also cool). Yeah, it’s a very synth/electronic dominated track, but I feel like unlike some other tracks from this era, they came in knowing it would be that. There are a lot of differing synth sounds throughout and I think it’s kind of cool to hear them vary them up throughout the song. One part I like in particular is when they sing the line “heart’s on fire”, where the synths start sounding a bit more dark, capturing a sense of hopelessness. And unlike “Wrap Her Up”, I feel like this one’s a lot more contained; in addition to being shorter, you also don’t have the overbearing horns or a gimmick that kind of overstays its welcome. Sure, it’s not top tier Elton, but I find myself in the mood to listen to it every now and then; it’s a fun track.

Track 8 is “Angeline”, which credits Elton, Bernie, and backing vocalist Alan Carvell, who came up with the backing vocal part heard throughout this song. I don’t like this song; the lyrics are awful and the melody feels a bit uninspired. The only thing I kind of like is the rhythm section of John Deacon and Roger Taylor who actually do feel better utilized here than on “Too Young”. At the very least, they sound like they’re trying to make it more lively.

Then we have “Memory of Love”. There was a time where I hated this song; once again, the lyrics are pretty bad, but looking back, the song itself is not as bad as I remembered. This is a John-Osborne collaboration, the very last one to appear on an album. Admittedly, this is a pretty weak way for this collaboration to go out, as I felt it had gradually improved over the years and this feels like a big step down lyrically. But the melody’s listenable and, to be fair, Elton actually does sound pretty engaged in his vocal performance. And it doesn’t drag in the same way that “Nikita” and “Too Young” do. I still wouldn’t go so far as to call it a good song, but I’d still rather listen to it over “Angeline”; it’s kind of started to fall in the title track category where it just kind of moves along without ever really going anywhere. Even with the bad lyrics, I don’t necessarily hate it anymore.

That’s followed by “Paris”. This is another track that’s grown on me, although I never necessarily disliked it. It’s in the same category as “Hoop of Fire”, in that it’s a bit more dramatic production wise and though keyboard heavy, the keyboards feel like they fit in the context of the song, giving off a slightly more European vibe. This is another one I like.

The final track, “I Fall Apart” is probably the track I’m most conflicted on, and a lot of that has to do with Elton’s voice, which is sounding more noticeably strained due to the fact that he has to sing partially in falsetto. It really sounds like he is falling apart, because he was, and it’s just so sad to listen to as a result. On the other hand, though, it kind of has a LIVE IN AUSTRALIA vibe where you have to appreciate that, despite what he’s going through, he clearly is trying to make something out of it. The song is more minimalist in production and at times reminds me a bit of “One More Arrow” without the string section. I feel like there is a lot of heart being put in here, but it can just be a bit too sad to listen to at times, especially when you have an idea of what Elton’s emotional state was at this point.

And that’s LEATHER JACKETS. Yes, production-wise, it’s still a bit of a chaotic mess and some of the lyrics are pretty awful at times, but I feel like they do have a slightly better handle here than on ICE ON FIRE. It doesn’t feel like they’re constantly having to fill up dead space; there are moments on this album where the production and melodies do feel properly matched up and not generic. Yeah, they’re still products of their time, but they don’t ever drag in a way that tracks like “Nikita” or “Too Young” do. And, of course, there’s the fact that “Gypsy Heart” is on here. I adored this track the moment I heard it and still do; even if there are other tracks on here that I like, I wouldn’t go out of my way to defend them as “objectively good” songs, but this one I will. It’s a real hidden gem in the Elton catalogue, one I can’t recommend enough. In my opinion, an improvement over ICE ON FIRE, but I know a lot of Elton fans disagree with me on that, so I’m curious to hear your guys’s opinions.

As for B-sides, the B-side to “Heartache All Over the World” is an instrumental called “Highlander”. A recording of this was used to open shows on the ICE ON FIRE tour and it’s believed it also might have been intended for the 1986 film, HIGHLANDER (the director, Russell Mulcahy, directed many of Elton’s music videos). I like this track; it’s very synth dominated, and I believe all of the synths are performed by Elton himself. It’s got a very mellow, calm atmosphere for the majority of it until it suddenly goes in a different direction near the end, showing off more synth/piano combos. Cool song.

“Slow Rivers”, on the other hand had two B-sides. One of them is “Lord of the Flies”, which is fine despite an annoying intro trying to replicate the sounds of flies, as well as a less than good instrumental section in the middle. Still, there’s elements to it that I like such as the bass playing. On the other hand, the other B-side, “Billy and the Kids”, is a super catchy track. The theater organ-like keyboards are cool, and the horn section has a good groove. This is a track I feel should have been on the album, as there feels like there’s a lot of energy put into it.