Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Elton John Album Discussion Thread

Offline hiramhorwitz

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/elton-john

The general consensus on Elton albums, though not necessarily ours, lots of ratings and reviews.  The IMDb of music sites.

Without getting into all the details, this list of ratings seems totally consistent with my opinions: a) the Goodbye Yellowbrick Road album being squarely on top; b) the glory albums being Elton John, 11-17-70, Tumbleweed Connection, Madman, Honky Chateau, Don't Shoot Me, and Captain Fantastic; and c) Victim of Love being the absolute worst, with Leather Jackets a close second.  Can't argue with that one bit.

Offline metaldams

I’m kind of curious as to how I’ll think of BLUE MOVES.  Really unusual for an artist to do two double studios.  Dylan and The Clash (a double and triple) are the only other artists I can think of.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Yeah, from the opinions I’ve heard, that list does seem to match up with the general consensus as far as the top and bottom albums go (although I will say I’m in the very rare camp that actually considers ICE ON FIRE to be worse than LEATHER JACKETS).

As for BLUE MOVES, we’ll cross that bridge when we get there, but let’s just say for now that the response is much more mixed than GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline HomokHarcos

I think this my new pick for favorite Elton John album so far, it's got a lot songs that are upbeat and catchy, while some of the slower songs are also memorable.

I didn’t know what the lyrics for "Daniel" are about, but I can say what the song brings to mind for me. My uncle (who I'm very closed to) had an older brother named Daniel, as the song mentions. He died so my Uncle wanted to play the song at his funeral, I can't remember if he ended up doing that or not (I wasn't there). My uncle was crying when he heard this song because it reminds him of his brother Dan. "Teacher I Need You" is one of those upbeat songs that I mentioned that I really like. Catchy piano and I like the "ooh ah oooh" at the end. Elton John is also a good song that as Umbrella Sam said could have been a hit. The 1970s is probably my favorite decade in music when it comes to hit singles. "Blues for My Baby and Me" is one of the more enjoyable Elton John ballads so far.

I think "Midnight Creeper" is a great guitar song and would be perfect for a family gathering party (my family used to have lots of those before COVID). I'm glad to hear another epic on here, Elton John was great at those and "Have Mercy on the Criminal" is no exception. "I'm Going to be a Teenage Idol" is another great 1970s style song with the horns. I don't know if Elton John is going to be using synthesizers later on, but I preferred the use of horns to the synthesizers which basically replaced them in mainstream pop in the late 1970s and 1980s. "Texan Love Song" is a song that goes back to the sort of country influence on Tumbleweed Connection, I'm happy to hear that style make a return for a song.

I had no idea "Crocodile Rock" was so disliked. It was one of two songs I was familiar with on this album, and think it's a pretty good guitar rock song that even has a sort of Creedence Clearwater Revival roots rock feel. "High Flying Bird" for me was not as enjoyable as the other ballad on the album. I did like the "Skyline Pigeon" version featured here more than the original recording.

Offline metaldams

Listening to this Alice Cooper 1978 show on YouTube.  King Biscuit Flower Hour radio broadcast, so good quality.  Checked out the lineup - Dee Murray on bass!  He definitely adds his own style to these songs.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

….and I have “Funeral For a Friend” stuck in my head this morning.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Listening to this Alice Cooper 1978 show on YouTube.  King Biscuit Flower Hour radio broadcast, so good quality.  Checked out the lineup - Dee Murray on bass!  He definitely adds his own style to these songs.

You seem to know a lot about Alice, so I have a question. I know Dee plays on FROM THE INSIDE, but was he ever actually in Alice’s touring band? I used to think not, but the fact that he played on that radio broadcast has me curious again (I know Dave was part of the touring lineup, since that was the one period he wasn’t working with Elton).

Interestingly, there’s a Ringo Starr special from the late 1970s and Dee appears in that. It seems like in that period especially people were really starting to take notice of his talents.

Offline hiramhorwitz

Interestingly, there’s a Ringo Starr special from the late 1970s and Dee appears in that.

Sounds like the TV special where Ringo played himself and Ognir Rrats.  I remember seeing that when I was in college, and thinking it was pretty good.

Offline metaldams

You seem to know a lot about Alice, so I have a question. I know Dee plays on FROM THE INSIDE, but was he ever actually in Alice’s touring band? I used to think not, but the fact that he played on that radio broadcast has me curious again (I know Dave was part of the touring lineup, since that was the one period he wasn’t working with Elton).

Interestingly, there’s a Ringo Starr special from the late 1970s and Dee appears in that. It seems like in that period especially people were really starting to take notice of his talents.

Alice has worked with so many different musicians since 1975 after the original group broke up that I can’t keep track of all of them.  I literally didn’t know until yesterday Dee Murray toured with Alice.  That would have been the spring and summer of ‘78 tour.  Alice introduces the band towards the end, Davey Johnstone also one of the guitar players.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Sounds like the TV special where Ringo played himself and Ognir Rrats.  I remember seeing that when I was in college, and thinking it was pretty good.

Yes, that’s the one.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Alice has worked with so many different musicians since 1975 after the original group broke up that I can’t keep track of all of them.  I literally didn’t know until yesterday Dee Murray toured with Alice.  That would have been the spring and summer of ‘78 tour.  Alice introduces the band towards the end, Davey Johnstone also one of the guitar players.

Looking at the entire FROM THE INSIDE lineup, it looks like there are even more Elton and Alice connections than I realized, including Kiki Dee. Speaking of Kiki, this is a song I’ve been meaning to share. It’s a song that was written during the YELLOW BRICK ROAD sessions, but not used for obvious reasons, so it was given to Kiki. Elton and the entire Elton John Band are backing her on it, making it feel even more like an authentic YELLOW BRICK ROAD song:

Offline Umbrella Sam

We now move on to arguably Elton’s most popular album, GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD. This is the one that had the most hits and as far as deep cuts go, is also the one fans are likely to know songs from.

Originally, the album was set to be recorded in Jamaica, as The Rolling Stones had recently recorded their album GOAT HEAD SOUP there. However, the studio ended up not being up to par, and Elton and the band instead returned to the Chateau d’Herouville, where they had recorded their previous two albums. The time in Jamaica was not entirely wasted, though, as Elton found time to write a good amount of songs, and wrote even more at the Chateau to the point where they had enough for a double album. It wasn’t even meant to be a double album, but it just happened to end up that way. There’s a lot to cover, so let’s just get straight into it.

It opens with “Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding”. And, really, could you start with anything better? The synth opening (performed by engineer David Hentschel) perfectly sets the mood for the album; very grand and atmospheric. Then, when Elton is finally introduced on piano, we get to hear this very chilling instrumental, something very moody. I don’t know why, but I always think of Halloween when I hear this song; people talk about Christmas songs being played in December, but this is the type of song I think is perfect in October. It builds up perfectly with even more cool synths and guitars supporting it, until finally it transitions into the great rocker, “Love Lies Bleeding”, featuring one of Davey’s catchiest guitar riffs and some really amazing camaraderie between the entire band throughout. I love this song so much; I remember the first time I got this album, hearing this for the first time, and realizing that it actually was cool to be an Elton John fan. It’s 11 minutes, but it flows so perfectly that it doesn’t feel like it; it’s a perfect song.

Next up is “Candle in the Wind”, probably one of Elton’s most known songs. Telling the tragic tale of actress Marilyn Monroe, this is a very memorable song, highlighted by the sad backing vocals and the equally sad electric guitar playing (as well as a surprisingly understated acoustic) from Davey. Considering how well-known it is, I do see this one often cited as one of the more overrated Elton songs, and I can kind of see that, but it is still a very atmospheric song that tells its tale so well, and I think it still deserves a lot of praise for that.

“Bennie and the Jets” was another big hit from the album, probably the biggest here in the U.S. Remember how I mentioned the audience effects in “Rock and Roll Madonna”? Well, Gus gave it another shot here, and this time it worked. Being that the song is about a fictional band, it makes complete sense that it would be here, and Dudgeon even mentioned how the opening, lone chord is the kind of thing you would sometimes hear in a live show. It once again helps make for a very atmospheric song, and Elton uses the Farfisa organ to create this very memorable sound near the end. I’ve seen people try to classify Elton in the “glam rock” category of music, and I don’t really agree with that, as I think it’s difficult to truly classify him under any genre. But if they were just basing it off of this song specifically, then I could kind of see that logic. It has a very showy, glamorous feel to it, something that really gets your attention from the get-go.

Then we have the title track, a beautiful ballad that takes the “No Place Like Home” message of THE WIZARD OF OZ, and pretty much builds a song around it. The orchestrations and the vocals have a very whimsical feel to them; it really does feel like they could be in a magical land like Oz, even if it’s not exactly the same style as the movie.

“This Song Has No Title” is a really interesting one because it’s pretty much an Elton solo performance. But it’s not like “Talking Old Soldiers”, where it’s just Elton and a piano, something that could be done the same live. Instead, it’s Elton tracking multiple layers of vocals and different types of keyboards, and it’s really cool. One track actually sounds a lot like a flute, but it’s actually Elton himself recreating that on Mellotron. Elton has often been critical of his playing of non-piano keyboards, but I think this is a song that really proves that perception wrong; it’s just as cool as the tracks that preceded it.

Next is “Grey Seal”, given a second chance at life after the failure of the “Rock and Roll Madonna” single. And, yeah, it really does work better here. It’s funny, because I was shocked the first time I found out it wasn’t written for this album, as it fits in so naturally; the band is again really tight and that ending fade out, while impressive in the original version, feels so much more spirited and full of life here. So glad they decided to bring this back.

“Jamaica Jerk-Off” is usually the one I see listed as the worst song on the album, and I can understand why; I’m still not entirely sure what the lyrics are about (other than they have something to do with their disastrous Jamaica trip), but I wouldn’t be surprised if some found it offensive. I do have to admit, though, that I actually do enjoy it. The chorus is really catchy, and much like in “This Song Has No Title”, Elton uses the chance to experiment with his upper vocal range. Everyone sounds like they’re having a fun time recording and it’s kind of infectious in a way. So, yeah, I understand why people don’t like it and admit it’s definitely more dated than most Elton songs, but I enjoyed it when I was younger and still enjoy it now.

“I’ve Seen That Movie Too” continues the cinematic theme that was especially prevalent at the beginning with songs like “Candle in the Wind” and the title track. And again, it’s very atmospheric in its production, with Elton’s piano and the strings sounding like something you’d hear in a ‘30s/‘40s crime drama, and Elton once again gives a gradually passionate vocal performance as the song continues.

“Sweet Painted Lady” is the one song on this album that I just flat out dislike. Sorry, I know a lot of people like this song, but it’s always really annoyed me for some reason; something about Elton’s voice in the choruses just sounds off, almost like he’s trying too hard when he goes for the upper range. I always thought the main melody itself was kind of bland too; nothing about it ever made me want to listen to it outside of the ending with the seagull effects.

Thankfully, the next song is “The Ballad of Danny Bailey (1909-34)”, one of my absolute favorite tracks on this album. It starts off with just Elton on piano, followed by a brief drum part from Nigel to represent the gunshot that killed the title bootlegger; I always thought that was such a clever effect. Then you also get to hear some really great bass playing from Dee before finally they’re joined by Davey and the orchestra. And, wow, it sounds so awesome with the orchestra. The arranger on this album was Del Newman, and he really came up with some clever uses of the strings throughout the whole album, but especially here. I especially love the end of the final chorus where the strings and Dee, Nigel and Davey’s backing vocals are all in sync. It’s almost as though they’re all representing the giant uproar this character’s death causes, and the orchestral fadeout is the result of that uproar. Such an awesome song, another one that proves that it is cool to be an Elton John fan.

Next is “Dirty Little Girl”, a song that always reminded me a bit of “Ballad of a Well-Known Gun” and “Susie” if you slowed it down. Not a bad idea, and I think it works for a certain amount of time. But it does get a bit repetitive and I think they could have easily cut it by a minute.

“All The Girls Love Alice” is pure rock, and does very a good job at it, with another one of Davey’s most memorable guitar riffs, some really cool bass parts from Dee and Kiki Dee also killing it on backing vocals. It’s so strange how Elton is able to take such dark topics and actually make rock songs out of them, but he really can do it so well, and “Alice” is proof of this. In fact, it actually stops being a rock song for two brief moments and goes in a completely different direction, yet transitions back so perfectly. Another really catchy song.

The rock focus continues with “Your Sister Can’t Twist (But She Can Rock ‘n Roll)”, which is a playful tribute to the early rock songs of the late ‘50s and early ‘60s. You can hear some Beach Boys influence; heck, even the backing vocals are a nod to “Twist and Shout”. The only things that make it inauthentic are how fast it is and the fact that Elton swears at one point. This is another one of my favorite songs on the album. I know I’ve said this before, but why is Elton so overly-critical of his organ playing? That little Farfisa organ instrumental section he does in the middle is so fantastic; every time I hear it, I’m so blown away by it. I love the energy, the fast tempo, the drums, the backing vocals, Davey’s especially crazy guitar playing at the end, and the fact that it transitions perfectly into the next track, which is of course...

“Saturday Night’s Alright (For Fighting)”. Another song you often hear on “Greatest Hits” compilations, and for good reason. One of his more guitar-driven hits, this has a real drive to it, the type of song I can imagine them really wanting to push towards the public to prove Elton was a legitimate hard rock act. Ironically enough, this was the lowest charting of the songs on the album, and they didn’t really push for this side of Elton again until “Grow Some Funk of Your Own” in 1975. What can I say? It’s another catchy song, with a strong vocal performance from Elton and another tight band performance showing that the Elton John Band really meant business when it came to rock music.

“Roy Rogers” obviously mentions the famous cowboy actor multiple times, but in general is about 1950s nostalgia, and the orchestration combined with Elton’s beautiful vocal harmonies does a great job at it. It’s another fantastic, atmospheric ballad, and the galloping ending enforces that. I’ve always wondered what Rogers himself thought of the song, since he was still alive when it came out.

“Social Disease” is a bit more country. I’m not crazy about how ridiculously low in volume the opening to this song is, but once it picks up, it actually does become a super good song. The ending of the chorus especially has a real singalong vibe to it, that’s how catchy it is. It keeps the fun pace still moving, before you’re inevitably reminded that it does indeed have to end soon.

And that’s where “Harmony” comes in. Short, simple, and to the point, that’s what this song is and does so well. All the voices are fantastic, there’s more of a piano focus, and the repeating of the title character’s name at the end make for what ultimately ends up being a memorable conclusion to a very memorable album.

Is GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD my favorite Elton John album? Well, since “Sweet Painted Lady” is on it, I do have to say no, but that still doesn’t take away from how fantastic most of the other songs on it. As with most Elton albums, there’s a great variety of rockers and ballads, and all of them are of such high quality that, even with “Sweet Painted Lady” on there, it definitely is still in my top 5. GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD is definitely deserving of the iconic status that it’s usually given, and is a great choice for people wanting to explore Elton’s catalog for the first time.

Now, believe it or not, there are a few B-sides, but don’t worry, most of them are short:

First up is “Jack Rabbit” one of the two B-sides to the “Saturday Night’s Alright” single. It’s a country song, so I can see why it wasn’t included considering “Social Disease” really filled that spot. Still, it’s a really fun song (despite also having a dark lyrical theme). I especially love Elton’s harmonizing during the choruses and Davey’s fast guitar playing throughout.

The other “Saturday” B-side was “Whenever You’re Ready (We’ll Go Steady Again)”. Again, I can see why this was cut, as it’s very clearly a ‘50s style number, and “Your Sister Can’t Twist” filled that spot on the album. Still, it’s a very catchy song with Elton and Davey’s awesome piano solos and another strong vocal performance from Elton.

And finally we have “Screw You (Young Man’s Blues)”, the B-side to “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road”. The opening on this one for some reason reminds me of the opening to Ringo’s “It Don’t Come Easy”. It’s a decent song; I don’t like it quite as much as the other two B-sides, but it still allows for Elton and the band to have some fun, and the saxophone especially near the end is pretty cool.

I know this is a lot to take in, but luckily this review comes at a perfect time, as I’m going on vacation this week, so I’ll be delaying the review of the next album by a week anyway.

Offline metaldams

Funny how Elton thought The Stones studio for GOATS HEAD SOUP wasn’t up to par.  Jethro Tull thought Château d'Hérouville wasn’t up to par when recording A PASSION PLAY and recorded somewhere else.  One musical artists gold is another’s dust.  All three of these albums were number one albums in 1973.

Looking forward to revisiting GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD in the next few days.  Some of my favorite Elton songs are here.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

From the great CLASSIC ALBUMS documentary on the making of this album, this illustrates perfectly what makes “Danny Bailey” such a great song.

Offline metaldams

From the great CLASSIC ALBUMS documentary on the making of this album, this illustrates perfectly what makes “Danny Bailey” such a great song.

The entire documentary is available for free on Amazon Prime.  If you guys subscribe, it’s available.  I’m going to check it out.  Also a doc from the same series of Black Sabbath’s PARANOID.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

I know it will sound like I'm falling victim to recently bias as I keep saying that each new Elton John album is my favorite one so far, but I really do believe they are getting progressively better. This was a fantastic rock album.

The opening track is certainly a contender for favorite Elton John so far, especially the instrumental bit at the beginning of the song. The synthesizers, the guitars, the keyboards, all of it give the song an epic feel. It's so good I wondered how the rest of the album could possibly match up to it. Thankfully, there are more good tracks through the rest of the album. I was mainly familiar with "Candle in the Wind" from the 1997 version, but this one is much better and I actually liked it when I wasn't expecting to. "Bennie and the Jets" was the first Elton John song I really liked. The piano playing is excellent and there is a good section near the end. There was a time I was very frustrated because I could only find a live version, until I was told that it's actually a studio song with audience noise piped in.

Ballads can be hit or miss for me, but "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" was a good one. Not the top track of the album for me, but good enough. "This Song Has No Title" feels like a filler track to me, and one where if I had to trim it down to a single LP would miss the cut. "Grey Seal" is a very good 1970s style song, I like the upbeat piano playing style. "Jamaica Jerk-Off" was probably the weak point in the album. "I've Seen That Movie Too" is a good song done in a less upbeat, slower paced style.

I agree with "Sweet Painted Lady" another filler-like song that I think could have been removed for a LP. "The Ballad of Danny Bailey (1909-1934)" is listed a ballad in the title, but it's not what I typically think of when a ballad comes to mind. It's a good song that has a good story in the lyrics. "Dirty Little Girl" has a guitar that reminds me of "Bennie and the Jets". I think I liked this song more then you did. "All the Girls Love Alice" was a song that took me by surprise, I liked it a long and is another contender for favorite Elton John song. It's a good rocking tune with a catchy riff.

“Your Sister Can’t Twist (But She Can Rock ‘n Roll)” is a very upbeat catchy 1950s style song. Like Umbrella Sam this is one of my favorite songs on the album, the backing vocals are cool. I like these 1950s throwback songs. "Saturday Night’s Alright (For Fighting)", on the other hand is a very 1970s sounding hard rock song. This was one of the few tracks I was familiar with, the bass playing was my favorite part of the song (it's most notable towards the end). "Roy Rogers" is a country-influenced song that is not one of my favorite songs on the album. Maybe if I heard it by itself I would like it more, but it doesn't stand out for me compared to the rest of the album. "Social Disease" also has a country influence, but it's more of the kind I like, being upbeat. "Harmony" was a fitting enough closer.

Talking about country again, "Jack Rabbit" is also a song that I like. Funny, as a child I would have stayed away from most songs with a pedal steel guitar, but I'm starting to like it more. "Whenever You're Ready (We'll Go Steady Again)" is another 1950s rock and roll style song that I like. I'm wondering where I heard "Screw You (Young Man's Blues)" before, because it's a B side single, but I'm definitely familiar with it. These B-sides are all good.

Offline metaldams

GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD is a classic and has the one necessary ingredient to make a double album stand out - songs with character that stand out as little islands in and of themselves.  The White Album has that in spades and so does this album.  Truthfully, if I listened to this more, which I will, I can easily see this join SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH and BILLION DOLLAR BABIES as one of the better albums of 1973.  I will say the only song I don’t like that much was “Your Sister Can’t Twist” but even that is not bad enough to skip. Just seemed a bit plain compared to all the gems surrounding it.  I’m not going to comment on every track, but I will mention the ones that stood out or I have more history with.

“Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding.”  A masterpiece for sure and one that changed my perception on Elton.  As a kid who only liked heavy stuff, I used to think of Elton as a lightweight pop singer who is the kind of things Moms listened to.  Keep in mind Homok, Moms of kids in my generation didn’t listen to Megadeth.  When I was a fifteen year old kid discovering Slayer, Elton was doing The Lion King soundtrack.  Just not where my young overly testosterone fueled hormones raging self was at the time.  When I heard this song on the radio one day, I couldn’t believe it was Elton John.   Really progressive, grand, moody, rocking and awesome.  I’ve kept more of an open mind towards Elton ever since.

“Candle in the Wind”. No, I was not alive in 1973.  I was alive in 1997.  When Princess Diana tragically passed away in that accident it was the weekend I was moving into my dorm my Freshman year in college.  This song got a serious second life back then.  Some people may criticize this song but I adore it.  I love the lyrics, the melody, Davey Johnstone’s guitar playing, everything.  As a Kinks fan, I want to suggest a song from the year before in a similar vein, “Celluloid Heroes.”  A Ray Davies penned classic worth your time.

“Benny and the Jets” I did watch the Classic Album Series documentary on Amazon Prime and was really surprised that this was a number one R&B hit.  I simply never associated it with R&B music,  it a cool song.

“Goodbye Yellow Brick Road”  One of those perfect pop songs.  This album really does play like a greatest hits up until this point.

“Jamaica Jerk-Off”. I generally am not a fan of rock bands doing reggae type stuff, something you will notice in a few weeks with a certain song from a certain other band we are discussing.  The fact that Elton and Bernie penned one that I like speaks volumes.

“I’ve Seen That Movie Too”. My all-time favorite Elton song tied with the opening track on this album.  I love the movie themed lyrics and the way it compares movie cliches to relationship cliches.  I also love the film noir like atmosphere of the song and that amazing Davey Johnstone guitar solo.

“Sweet Painted Lady”. Love this song.  The kind of song I can picture McCartney doing in a lighter moment - except it’s about a prostitute!  Really relaxing and breezy.

“The Ballad of Danny Bailey (1909 - 1934)”  Yes, that isolated bass thing in the video was cool.  Another very catchy, atmospheric tune that tells a cool story

“All the Girls Love Alice”  With a title like that, I figure it’s either about lesbians or Alice Cooper groupies.  Don’t laugh, the latter would be very believable subject matter in 1973.  Turns out to be the former.  Brave and edgy for 1973.  A really cool song.

“Saturday Night’s Alright (For Fighting)” Believe it or not, the first version of this song I ever heard was the Flotsam and Jetsam cover.  On the rare occasions metal bands cover Elton, this is the song.  I like Elton’s version much better.  A classic.

A really fantastic album overall and the kind of thing that made the seventies special.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Oh, and to piggyback on your glam rock comment, Sam.  That was mentioned in the documentary.  Elton says he never classified himself like Jagger, Bowie and Bolan and said it was impossible to be a sex symbol while playing the piano.  Obviously Elton forgot about Chico Marx.  [pie]

I also liked the way he talked about the camaraderie with his band around this time and how it made things comfortable.  He also admitted he was more creative back then which I found so refreshing.  There are certain artists I like, forty and fifty years into their career, still acting like their newest is their best.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD is a classic and has the one necessary ingredient to make a double album stand out - songs with character that stand out as little islands in and of themselves.  The White Album has that in spades and so does this album.  Truthfully, if I listened to this more, which I will, I can easily see this join SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH and BILLION DOLLAR BABIES as one of the better albums of 1973.  I will say the only song I don’t like that much was “Your Sister Can’t Twist” but even that is not bad enough to skip. Just seemed a bit plain compared to all the gems surrounding it.  I’m not going to comment on every track, but I will mention the ones that stood out or I have more history with.

“Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding.”  A masterpiece for sure and one that changed my perception on Elton.  As a kid who only liked heavy stuff, I used to think of Elton as a lightweight pop singer who is the kind of things Moms listened to.  Keep in mind Homok, Moms of kids in my generation didn’t listen to Megadeth.  When I was a fifteen year old kid discovering Slayer, Elton was doing The Lion King soundtrack.  Just not where my young overly testosterone fueled hormones raging self was at the time.  When I heard this song on the radio one day, I couldn’t believe it was Elton John.   Really progressive, grand, moody, rocking and awesome.  I’ve kept more of an open mind towards Elton ever since.

“Candle in the Wind”. No, I was not alive in 1973.  I was alive in 1997.  When Princess Diana tragically passed away in that accident it was the weekend I was moving into my dorm my Freshman year in college.  This song got a serious second life back then.  Some people may criticize this song but I adore it.  I love the lyrics, the melody, Davey Johnstone’s guitar playing, everything.  As a Kinks fan, I want to suggest a song from the year before in a similar vein, “Celluloid Heroes.”  A Ray Davies penned classic worth your time.

“Benny and the Jets” I did watch the Classic Album Series documentary on Amazon Prime and was really surprised that this was a number one R&B hit.  I simply never associated it with R&B music,  it a cool song.

“Goodbye Yellow Brick Road”  One of those perfect pop songs.  This album really does play like a greatest hits up until this point.

“Jamaica Jerk-Off”. I generally am not a fan of rock bands doing reggae type stuff, something you will notice in a few weeks with a certain song from a certain other band we are discussing.  The fact that Elton and Bernie penned one that I like speaks volumes.

“I’ve Seen That Movie Too”. My all-time favorite Elton song tied with the opening track on this album.  I love the movie themed lyrics and the way it compares movie cliches to relationship cliches.  I also love the film noir like atmosphere of the song and that amazing Davey Johnstone guitar solo.

“Sweet Painted Lady”. Love this song.  The kind of song I can picture McCartney doing in a lighter moment - except it’s about a prostitute!  Really relaxing and breezy.

“The Ballad of Danny Bailey (1909 - 1934)”  Yes, that isolated bass thing in the video was cool.  Another very catchy, atmospheric tune that tells a cool story

“All the Girls Love Alice”  With a title like that, I figure it’s either about lesbians or Alice Cooper groupies.  Don’t laugh, the latter would be very believable subject matter in 1973.  Turns out to be the former.  Brave and edgy for 1973.  A really cool song.

“Saturday Night’s Alright (For Fighting)” Believe it or not, the first version of this song I ever heard was the Flotsam and Jetsam cover.  On the rare occasions metal bands cover Elton, this is the song.  I like Elton’s version much better.  A classic.

A really fantastic album overall and the kind of thing that made the seventies special.

I’m surprised the first track was played on the radio, it must have been a shortened version of the track. Listing favorite albums by year of the 1970s would be fun, but seeing how much I like Santana and Steely Dan they’d probably take it most years.

Offline metaldams

Sam, I know you’ve got some catching up to do after your vacation, so take your time with Zeppelin and Sabbath, but I hope you review Elton if need be before listening to that stuff.  I’m enjoying this thread.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Sam, I know you’ve got some catching up to do after your vacation, so take your time with Zeppelin and Sabbath, but I hope you review Elton if need be before listening to that stuff.  I’m enjoying this thread.

Don’t worry, if I don’t get to it tomorrow, then I’ll definitely get to CARIBOU sometime early this week. Glad you’re enjoying this thread; it’s a lot of fun getting to share these and seeing everyone’s thoughts on these songs, especially the lesser known ones.

Offline Umbrella Sam

I’m surprised the first track was played on the radio, it must have been a shortened version of the track. Listing favorite albums by year of the 1970s would be fun, but seeing how much I like Santana and Steely Dan they’d probably take it most years.

Obviously not being from the ‘70s, I can’t confirm, but I’ve long assumed it was played in full. Oddly enough, my local bowling alley plays a lot of classic rock staples, usually hits, and somehow “Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding” always ends up on there. Sure enough, it’s always played in full, no evidence of any type of shortening.

Offline metaldams

Obviously not being from the ‘70s, I can’t confirm, but I’ve long assumed it was played in full. Oddly enough, my local bowling alley plays a lot of classic rock staples, usually hits, and somehow “Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding” always ends up on there. Sure enough, it’s always played in full, no evidence of any type of shortening.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I heard the whole version on the radio as well.

“In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida,” all seventeen minutes of it, was an FM staple back in the day and a bathroom break for DJ’s.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Forgot to mention, my Aunt and her boyfriend were at the New York City show a few weeks back.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

January 1974. Hot off the success of an instant classic in GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD, Elton John and band find themselves in the position of having to follow that up...and if that wasn’t stressful enough, they only had about 9 days to do it since they were set to start a tour of Japan soon after. On top of all of this, there were also multiple changes to their approach to recording albums.

First of all was a new studio. Despite practically saving them at a time of need for GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD, Elton and crew decided not to record at the Chateau again, instead taking the opportunity to record in the United States at Caribou Ranch in Colorado. Additionally, there was a new member of the Elton John Band: percussionist Ray Cooper. Ray’s association with Elton actually goes back as early as 1971, appearing sporadically on select tracks, including “Amy” and “All the Girls Love Alice”. Ray is a very good percussionist who can play a wide variety of instruments and has a real entertainer’s approach to playing them. To put it simply, he makes playing the tambourine look like fun! At the same time, though, he essentially is adding color to what’s needed for each recording, not overtaking them completely, so he fits in naturally with the Elton John Band. And, though they didn’t officially join the band, they were also joined by the Tower of Power horn section, effectively bringing back the brass focus that had been present on HONKY CHATEAU and DON’T SHOOT ME I’M ONLY THE PIANO PLAYER, but largely absent from GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD. The reception at the time was great (two more top 10 singles and another number 1 album for Elton), but these days it has gotten a bit of a reputation for being rushed and, of course, the obvious YELLOW BRICK ROAD comparisons. Heck, Gus Dudgeon himself was quoted as being very critical of the album. Does it deserve that reputation? In my opinion, no.

It starts with “The Bitch is Back”, another Elton classic lots of people know. I find it odd that Elton was able to get away with a song with this title at the time. “Your Sister Can’t Twist” has swearing, but “The Bitch is Back” was a single played on the radio. I think it speaks to how popular Elton was that he could get away with a song like this at the time. The phrase itself was inspired by something Bernie’s wife said, allegedly referring to Elton himself when he was in a bad mood. It has a real party song vibe to it, with a saxophone solo and backing vocals from Dusty Springfield. It’s good, but I think it plays better live, because the key is changed and it feels more like a proper rock song. Still, the studio version is a lot of fun too.

Next is “Pinky”, an incredibly beautiful ballad that’s more piano-based. I love this song; I love the beauty of the backing vocals, the fantastic chorus, and the way the congas add to the atmosphere. This doesn’t sound rushed in the slightest; it’s completely natural from start to finish.

“Grimsby” follows, based on a port town that Bernie lived near growing up. This is a very solid rock song with some awesome guitars from Davey and cool drumming from Nigel; super catchy and again something that feels completely natural from beginning to end.

“Dixie Lily” is one I used to not care much for, but now, I do find some enjoyment out of it. It’s sort of a country-style song, but much more campy in its musical approach compared to previous Elton country songs. Listening again, I do find myself appreciating more of that campy approach, with those fun whistles and guitars standing out.

“Solar Prestige a Gammon”, on the other hand, is a song I’ve strangely grown to dislike more over the years. When I first heard it, I kind of enjoyed it due to the chorus being catchy, but as the years have gone along, I’ve realized truly how little substance there is to it...which, to be fair, was the point, but the song just sounds bizarre and while the chorus is still catchy, I actually find it in that annoying, earworm type of way, not in a way that I want to keep hearing it again.

“You’re So Static” brings the album back to its full focus, with an awesome horn part from the Tower of Power and a really fun piano part from Elton near the end. A lot of Elton fans actually really dislike this song, and I’ve never entirely understood why. I find it catchy and enjoyable, never viewed it in a bad light, so I’d be curious to see what you guys think to see if I’m missing something.

“I’ve Seen the Saucers” is my favorite song on the album. You may get “Rocket Man” vibes from it, and that’s understandable, but, believe it or not, I actually kind of prefer it to “Rocket Man”, and there’s one reason for that: the vocals. The vocals on this song from both Elton and the band are fantastic! Just listen to that chorus; the passion Elton has in his voice is super emotional. And those soaring backing vocals keep the atmosphere so rich...gosh, every time I hear them, I just want to go back and listen to them again! Again, this might be something you’ll disagree with me on, and I get it; again, being a song about flying saucers, people might find it silly, but I love this song and the full atmosphere it creates.

“Stinker” is more of a blues-based song, and a darn good one. Once again, the Tower of Power horn section are back to keep things moving at a steady pace (including Chester D. Thompson on organ) and Davey’s guitar part is consistently cool throughout. Elton has that slightly harsher vocal tone that makes “Saturday Night’s Alright” so effective and it’s equally effective here.

“Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me” is, of course, another classic, with a grand brass arrangement by Del Newman and a roster of guest backing vocalists including Carl Wilson and Toni Tennille. It’s a grand arrangement that seems fitting given the song’s tale of potential heartbreak. I can see someone try to make the argument that it’s overblown in that sense, but for me, it makes sense; it’s a very cinematic thing, and Elton excels at those kind of things, as GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD and DON’T SHOOT ME I’M ONLY THE PIANO PLAYER prove.

It finishes with “Ticking”, a story about a man who’s brought up by a household not realizing the mental problems he’s struggling with until it’s too late...he ends up being a mass shooter in a bar and shot by the police. Bernie’s cinematic lyrics are backed up by a light arrangement, mostly Elton with some synth from David Hentschel. It supports the lonely atmosphere as this man continues with these struggles. It’s very effective...but that’s also kind of the problem. This song is unfortunately more relevant than ever these days, and it’s just hard to listen to as a result. Again, it’s a good song, I’d even argue it makes a great closer considering the way the synth part just keeps going and going, kind of like the ending to “A Day in the Life” and “The King Must Die”. But, man, it’s just so difficult to listen to; it would have been difficult to listen to back then, but it’s even harder now given what we’re always seeing in the news.

So, yeah, as a whole, I still really like CARIBOU. The only song I dislike is “Solar Prestige a Gammon”. While “Ticking” is hard to sit through, it’s still a good song, and the rest of it is very entertaining and still has the same charm that Elton and his band had had since they’d officially started recording together. Even if it’s not as good as the albums that immediately preceded and followed it, CARIBOU still very much deserves to be considered a classic Elton John album.

OK, now for some additional tracks:

First up is some songs we missed last time, the Christmas songs “Step Into Christmas/ Ho! Ho! Ho! (Who’s Be a Turkey at Christmas)”. Considering how much there was to talk about last time, I decided to wait until here to discuss them. The A-side is commonly heard on Christmas stations and now considered a Christmas classic, which makes me happy as I’ve always loved it. Essentially, it’s the Elton John Band doing their own Christmas song in the tradition of people like the Ronettes or Bobby Helms. It captures the Christmas spirit perfectly and always makes me happy when I listen to it. The B-side is possibly one of the most British recordings Elton ever made; much more silly, but the chorus is still pretty catchy. Interestingly, metaldams, these were both recorded at Morgan Studios, where both SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH and SABOTAGE were recorded. I’ve kept meaning to bring this up, but this studio was owned by Elton’s old studio drummer, Barry Morgan.

Next is the B-side to “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me”, “Sick City”. There are many Elton B-sides that I consider album-worthy material; “Bad Side of the Moon”, “Into the Old Man’s Shoes”, the list goes on. But if I had to make the case for one of them specifically, it would be this one. I think it was a mistake for them to leave this awesome song off the album. I love this song so much; I love the horn riff, Dee’s groovy bass playing, Elton’s piano playing, the backing vocals, Elton’s vocals and the overall R&B feel combine to creative this wickedly catchy song. Anytime I hear Elton sing “stage door monkey’s on my back”, I just can’t resist joining in; it deserves a lot more attention than it gets. This easily could have replaced “Solar Prestige a Gammon”.

The B-side to “The Bitch is Back” was “Cold Highway”, which is a song I also like, but unlike “Sick City”, I can kind of see why this one didn’t make the cut. It kind of sounds similar to “You’re So Static” and “Stinker” and therefore would have probably been considered as making the album too repetitive. Again, though, it’s a really good song, the vocals being the standout parts.

And, finally, even though it wasn’t released until 1975, I’m going to mention Elton’s version of “Pinball Wizard” for the movie version of TOMMY, which was recorded in early 1974. To the surprise of probably none of you, this is the version I grew up with, and while I like The Who version, I prefer the overall pace of the Elton version; even without watching the film, you can feel the frustration and adrenaline rush Elton’s character, “The Champ”, is having facing off against Tommy, trying to defend his crown. On top of that, it actually sounds like an Elton John song through and through, probably because, unlike the other performers on the TOMMY soundtrack, Elton was allowed to be backed by his own band and have Gus Dudgeon produce. It’s a great rendition, highlighted by Elton’s fantastic vocals and the great interplay between his piano and Davey’s guitar.

By this point, Elton was definitely a superstar, and there was no sign of that slowing down yet. The next album is proof of that.