Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

What Stooge shorts work before what features?

metaldams · 31 · 11843

Offline metaldams

Have fun, be creative.  Examples.

You Nazty Spy and I’ll Never Heil Again with The Great Dictator

Boobs in Arms and G.I. Wanna Home before a double feature of Buck Privates and Buck Privates Come Home.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline larrysfinenose

• Grapehead
  • my mother knows my name
Uncivil Warriors and Uncivil Warbirds before Gone With The Wind... a little comedy before an epic film.

Offline Umbrella Sam

DISORDER IN THE COURT before TWELVE ANGRY MEN. So, if people complain about not enough court scenes in the latter...well, DISORDER will provide that.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline larrysfinenose

• Grapehead

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

Offline metaldams

Nice job everyone.  Keep it up.  A few more.

Idle Roomers before Return of the Vampire.  Both Columbia films around the same time with a similar wolf man.

Shot in the Frontier before High Noon

Brideless Groom before Seven Chances

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Bunionhead
THREE HAMS ON RYE before ALL ABOUT EVE
THREE MISSING LINKS and THE SITTERDOWNERS before Keaton's THE THREE AGES

OUTER SPACE JITTERS and SPACE SHIP SAPPY before HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL
as opposed to...
FLYING SAUCER DAFFY before THE THREE STOOGES IN ORBIT
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Tony Bensley

YES, WE HAVE NO BONANZA (1939), and PHONY EXPRESS (1943), before THE OUTLAWS IS COMING (1965).

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Umbrella Sam

Here’s another one: WHAT’S THE MATADOR before THE THREE CABALLEROS.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

Three Little Pigskins with Horse Feathers

Hoi Polloi with Trading Places (1983) - Similar plots

A Merry Mix Up with Our Relations

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

As a fan of old b horror movies, I’d love to see this bill.  However, look on tHe bottom of the poster below.  The year is 1941, a shame we don’t know what short.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline larrysfinenose

• Grapehead
As a fan of old b horror movies, I’d love to see this bill.  However, look on tHe bottom of the poster below.  The year is 1941, a shame we don’t know what short.

If I could make an educated guess, perhaps All the World's a Stooge or Dutiful but Dumb? Those were their newest releases at that time, but I'm sure they showed older shorts, too. Who knows? If so, We Want Our Mummy would be a good short with that lineup.

Offline metaldams

If I could make an educated guess, perhaps All the World's a Stooge or Dutiful but Dumb? Those were their newest releases at that time, but I'm sure they showed older shorts, too. Who knows? If so, We Want Our Mummy would be a good short with that lineup.

Yeah, you raised the right question.  Did they show older shorts or only new ones?  A topic worth researching.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Bunionhead
Well, they certainly recycled them in the 1950s and the 1960s when the Besser shorts and Curly Joe films were still in production... that's why some of the non-Stooge shorts we have today survived.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Tony Bensley

One thing I've found in using imdb.com for referencing 3 stooges shorts, is the number of them that were named after feature length films.  Besides the more obvious ALL THE WORLD'S A STAGE (1917), there's also  BEAUTIFUL BUT DUMB (1928).

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

One thing I've found in using imdb.com for referencing 3 stooges shorts, is the number of them that were named after feature length films.  Besides the more obvious ALL THE WORLD'S A STAGE (1917), there's also  BEAUTIFUL BUT DUMB (1928).

CHEERS!  [pie]

All The World’s A Stage is a line from a Shakespeare play which is what I imagine the Stooge title is parodying.  It was also later a live album from your greatest countrymen, Rush.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

All The World’s A Stage is a line from a Shakespeare play which is what I imagine the Stooge title is parodying.  It was also later a live album from your greatest countrymen, Rush.
I was referring to the line as being the obvious originator of the Stooges derivative parody title. I'm well aware of it originating from Shakespeare and it being the name of a RUSH double live LP. That it was a 1917 silent isn't at all obvious, and was poorly worded, on my part.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Paul Pain

• Bunionhead
BOOTY AND THE BEAST before IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline larrysfinenose

• Grapehead
If a Body Meets a Body before House on Haunted Hill. The Vincent Price version, of course.

Offline Paul Pain

• Bunionhead
Hey! That's not McIntire

WITH

Hey! That's Mrs. Robinson

Along those lines, how about SPOOKS and THREE MISSING LINKS before KING KONG?  [glasses9]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Spooks with House of Wax (1953)

Both 3D films and I’ve ironically never seen either in 3D.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

Spooks with House of Wax (1953)

Both 3D films and I’ve ironically never seen either in 3D.
I've seen both in 3-D, but only the sub-par DVD version of the former.

It was over 35 years ago that I saw HOUSE OF WAX (1953) in 3-D at The Reportory Theatre in downtown London, not far from where we now live.  That was quite an experience!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]