Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Professor Horwitz gives his students the Moe treatment

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

Actually, this Horwitz's actions and his tone were quite un-Moe like, but, given that it wasn't feasible to twist the ears and conk the noses of every student individually, he did act pretty aggressively by professorial standards.

From "Failing the Entire Class" (Scott Jaschik, Inside Higher Ed, April 27, 2015):

Irwin Horwitz had had enough. His students, he thought, weren't performing well academically and they were being disruptive, rude and dishonest. So he sent the students in his strategic management class an email:

"Since teaching this course, I have caught and seen cheating, been told to 'chill out,' 'get out of my space,' 'go back and teach,' [been] called a 'fucking moron' to my face, [had] one student cheat by signing in for another, one student not showing up but claiming they did, listened to many hurtful and untrue rumors about myself and others, been caught between fights between students…."

Horwitz said he would fail every single student. "None of you, in my opinion, given the behavior in this class, deserve to pass, or graduate to become an Aggie, as you do not in any way embody the honor that the university holds graduates should have within their personal character. It is thus for these reasons why I am officially walking away from this course. I am frankly and completely disgusted. You all lack the honor and maturity to live up to the standards that Texas A&M holds, and the competence and/or desire to do the quality work necessary to pass the course just on a grade level…. I will no longer be teaching the course, and all are being awarded a failing grade."

Headlines of other articles on this incident:  "None Shall Pass"; "Professor Gives Students a Final 'F You.'"

Offline metaldams

The problem with college these days is that it's considered a right for everybody to go instead of those selected few who actually deserve to go.  All it does is devalue a college education and breeds situations like this.  Good for Professor Horowitz, though.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Oh, snooty, eh?  [pie]

I know you're being light hearted and most likely not as opiniated on this matter than I am (though I could be wrong), so it's cool.  That said, I'm very serious with what I say.  I'm not going to get more detailed than the statement I'm going to make, but considering some life experiences of mine which I'd be much more detailed about in a private setting, let's just say I'm more than qualified to know what I speak of.  I wish I wasn't.   [pie]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Squirrelbait

Actually, this Horwitz's actions and his tone were quite un-Moe like, but, given that it wasn't feasible to twist the ears and conk the noses of every student individually, he did act pretty aggressively by professorial standards.

From "Failing the Entire Class" (Scott Jaschik, Inside Higher Ed, April 27, 2015):

Headlines of other articles on this incident:  "None Shall Pass"; "Professor Gives Students a Final 'F You.'"

I don't blame him one bit.
As far as comparisons to the Stooges though, he'd even be more Moe-like if he changed his last name from 'Horwitz' to 'Howard'. Just sayin'. ;)
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline hiramhorwitz

Horwitz should know - he graduated with the highest temperature in his class.

Offline Lefty

The problem with college these days is that it's considered a right for everybody to go instead of those selected few who actually deserve to go.  All it does is devalue a college education and breeds situations like this.  Good for Professor Horowitz, though.

Then there are those who get free rides through college, having others take tests for them in their "Bird Watching 101"-type courses, just because they can play football or basketball, and probably would get stuck "Swinging the Alphabet" at the letter "D" or earlier.