Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Larry Fine's 112th birthday

Offline hiramhorwitz

As I commemorate Larry Fine's 112th birthday today, I can't help but think back on the wonderful afternoon I spent with him 40 years ago.  A meeting I'll never forget.  What a warm, gregarious, and generous host he was.  One of those rare individuals who knew how to make his guests feel like the most important people in the world.  After forty years, I'm still in awe of his talent and his humility.  The great Larry Fine!     

Offline Signor Spumoni

What a photo!  I love it.  Larry is my favorite Stooge, so this is an extra-special treat for me.  You must have had the time of your life.  You were just a lad at the time, I see.  Lucky lad!  Thanks, HH!

Offline hiramhorwitz

What a photo!  I love it.  Larry is my favorite Stooge, so this is an extra-special treat for me.  You must have had the time of your life.  You were just a lad at the time, I see.  Lucky lad!  Thanks, HH!

I was seventeen at the time, but looked about twelve.  Now I'm fifty-seven, but look about sixty.  I definitely had the time of my life that afternoon!

Offline Svengarlic

I was seventeen at the time, but looked about twelve.  Now I'm fifty-seven, but look about sixty.  I definitely had the time of my life that afternoon!
SEVENTEEN??? I thought it was a 11 year old with a premature mustache coming in!  :o

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
hiramhorwitz, thank you for these posts.  Seeing you with Larry makes me think of myself, although I spend my time talking to 80-90 year old retired NASCAR drivers, much as you got to speak to the Stooges.  It must have made him proud that a younger (at the time) person such as yourself would be interested in a group of actors who had become pretty much forgotten.

Happy birthday, Larry Fine.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

One of my best friends was born five days after Larry died, and I rag him for it.  At least he shares a birthday with W.C Fields.

Hiram, you're a lucky man.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline hiramhorwitz

Seeing you with Larry makes me think of myself, although I spend my time talking to 80-90 year old retired NASCAR drivers, much as you got to speak to the Stooges.
That's good to hear.  Any particular elderly NASCAR favorites? 

Offline Signor Spumoni

hiramhorwitz, thank you for these posts.  Seeing you with Larry makes me think of myself, although I spend my time talking to 80-90 year old retired NASCAR drivers, much as you got to speak to the Stooges. It must have made him proud that a younger (at the time) person such as yourself would be interested in a group of actors who had become pretty much forgotten.

PaulPayne, you make a very good point, although I disagree that the Stooges had become pretty much forgotten by then.  Remember their popularity revived thanks to the '50s-'60s children's television programs which featured the Stooges.  However, I think you are exactly right that Larry must have felt proud to have a younger person interested in him and in the Stooges.  HiramHorwitz said he had the time of his life, and I think Larry must have had the time of his life, too.  Imagine what a kick it would have been for Larry to meet his young fan.

Offline Signor Spumoni

hiramhorwitz, thank you for these posts. Seeing you with Larry makes me think of myself, although I spend my time talking to 80-90 year old retired NASCAR drivers, much as you got to speak to the Stooges.  It must have made him proud that a younger (at the time) person such as yourself would be interested in a group of actors who had become pretty much forgotten.

I'd, too, would like to know if you have any favorites among the NASCAR drivers.  Or maybe you're saving that for a book.  Either way, it's interesting.

Offline Paul Pain

• Bunionhead
I will list some of the guys I've met for you two; see how many you can recognize without using Google.

Dick Passwater (yes, that's really his name!), Joe Mihalic, Ken Ragan, Bobby Brack, Jack Anderson, Dave Dion, Dick Foley, Jim Bray, Ralph Liguori, Bill Wimble, Johnny Allen, Ken Squier (the announcer), Jim Reed, Blackie Wangerin...
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline luke795

Has anyone on here ever met Moe, Curly, Shemp, Joe Besser, or Curly-Joe?

Offline Signor Spumoni

I will list some of the guys I've met for you two; see how many you can recognize without using Google.

Dick Passwater (yes, that's really his name!), Joe Mihalic, Ken Ragan, Bobby Brack, Jack Anderson, Dave Dion, Dick Foley, Jim Bray, Ralph Liguori, Bill Wimble, Johnny Allen, Ken Squier (the announcer), Jim Reed, Blackie Wangerin...

This was great, Paul Payne, because I have a perfect score on identifying these men:  I don't know a single one!  :)  But how fascinating it must be for you.  You sound like a longtime NASCAR fan, knowing these "vintage" drivers.

Offline metaldams

Celebrities I've met, use Google if you must.

James Hetfield, Jason Newsted, Joey Belladonna, Steven Adler, Bruce Kulick, John Corabi, Ray Traylor, Bill Aucoin, Alex Webster, Warren Spahn, Dave Winfield, Don Larsen, Sam Horn, Darryl Strawberry, Hank Bauer, Boog Powell, Gregg Jefferies, Jim Rice
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

100 percent Google!  Just shows there's a lot in this world that not all of us recognize, but others do.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Bunionhead
This was great, Paul Payne, because I have a perfect score on identifying these men:  I don't know a single one!  :)  But how fascinating it must be for you.  You sound like a longtime NASCAR fan, knowing these "vintage" drivers.

Quite!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Lefty

Sports stars and other celebrities whom I have met:

Johnny Callison, Ken Patera, Gorilla Monsoon, the 1978 Pittsburgh Pirates (the Phillies' most hated rival then), Debbie Reynolds, Jan Murray, Frank Gorshin, and last but certainly not least relatively speaking, George Eiferman.

Offline Paul Pain

• Bunionhead
Are you a fan of other racing, F1, for example?

I follow a good 2 or 3 dozen series.  'Nuf said.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Svengarlic

Sports stars and other celebrities whom I have met:

Johnny Callison, Ken Patera, Gorilla Monsoon, the 1978 Pittsburgh Pirates (the Phillies' most hated rival then), Debbie Reynolds, Jan Murray, Frank Gorshin, and last but certainly not least relatively speaking, George Eiferman.

Nice list Lefty. (who's Eiferman?) Metal's list, sans the ball players have me scratching my head, as does Paul Payne's. This is something I've been thinking of doing for a long time, before I forget. My list is rather large. All were chance meetings on the street, in a restaurant, race track or poker game.

Sports: Al Jackson, Bob Shaw, Jesse Gonder, Harry Carey, Ken Norton, Lou Brock, Ted Simmons, Dal Maxville, OJ Simpson, Dan Deirdorf, Conrad Dobler and Bob Gibson.

Through racing: Paul Newman, Jill St. John, Gene Hackman (yes, I missed Steve Mc Queen)

Misc: Chubby Checker, Wolfman Jack, Jennifer Tilley, Gabe Caplin, Scotte Wilson (Dick Hickock from In Cold Blood) John Byner, John Cassevetes, The Ink Spots, Kay Ballard and AJ Cervantes (St. Louis mayor)

The list of current "celebrity" poker players is too long to list, and most I never spoke to, except for Layne Flack (real name Delayne) who was a coworker and friend in Montana before he struck it rich.

I noticed that these lists are short on women. Why IS that?  ???

Offline Lefty

Nice list Lefty. (who's Eiferman?) Metal's list, sans the ball players have me scratching my head, as does Paul Payne's.

The late George Eiferman, Mr. American of 1948 and Mr. Universe of 1962, occasional actor (as a muscle man) and uncle of Lefty and Navy friend of my late father-in-law.

As for Metal's list, Joey Belladonna (metal group Anthrax) and Ray Traylor (wrestler Big Boss Man) were the only ones I recognized who were not baseball players.

As for Paul Payne's list, "I got a poifect scaw!"  Zeeeeeeeeeeeeeroooooooooooooohhhhhhhh!

Offline Paul Pain

• Bunionhead
Now that you're all depressed from not knowing anyone on my list...

I've also met Bobby and Donnie Allison, as well as Ned Jarrett and Rex White.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

The late George Eiferman, Mr. American of 1948 and Mr. Universe of 1962, occasional actor (as a muscle man) and uncle of Lefty and Navy friend of my late father-in-law.

As for Metal's list, Joey Belladonna (metal group Anthrax) and Ray Traylor (wrestler Big Boss Man) were the only ones I recognized who were not baseball players.

As for Paul Payne's list, "I got a poifect scaw!"  Zeeeeeeeeeeeeeroooooooooooooohhhhhhhh!

100 percent serious question Lefty - how the heck do you know who Joey Belladonna is (a really nice guy based on my meeting), but not James Hetfield?  They both came from the same musical scene and era, yet if Joey Belladonna is Ray Davies in thrash metal  James Hetfield, the singer and rhythm guitarist of Metallica, is John Lennon as far as relative fame goes.  A really famous dude, easily the most famous rock star I've met, and I'm kind of shocked more people here don't know who he is.

Meeting James Hetfield in my world is the equivalent of meeting Larry Fine, as well as Jason Newsted, who at the time was Metallica's bass player.  Hetfield is that much the man to me, Larry level.  I met him for two minutes, he was humorous and we talked about the Garage Days EP and what they were going to play later that night  (this was March 1997 in Philly).  Below is a picture of my jean jacket and the great man's signature.  He signed it as I was wearing it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline RICO987

Turning back to Larry, the subject of this thread…  I recently found this article:

http://www.empireonline.com/features/the-three-stooges

I include it here because it really gives Larry more credit than he usually receives.  The author calls Larry “underestimated”.  He also states, “Larry was the essential, non-threatening intermediary, and he brought a special genius to the role.”  I agree with this assessment.

The author gives a bit of history on our boys, of which I am certain others on this site have a better knowledge as to whether he gives the real story or not.  He then discusses Curly’s decline, Shremp’s role with the group and generally gives them credit as being “arguably the most popular and influential comedy institution in Hollywood history. “  The author also discusses how the “internal mechanism” of The Three Stooges was deceptively simple. 

Generally I have to say an interesting read about my favorite comedy group of the past 50+ years.