Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Favorite Abbott and Costello movies

Offline metaldams

I'm enjoying our weekly episode discussions, but I want to discuss somebody else briefly in addition to our weekly Stooge talks.  The way I've been watching Stooge shorts one a week for over a year now, I plan to do the same thing with Bud and Lou features, in order, starting this weekend.  There are about a half a dozen or so of their films I've never seen, and I plan on buying them individually when I'm about a month away from getting to them.

I have my opinions about favorite features, but I'll let somebody else discuss their's first.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Kopfy2013

Sorry to say I am not a fan of their's at all.  It took me 4 sittings to get thru Africa Screams.
Niagara Falls

Offline Svengarlic

Except for MEETS FRANKENSTEIN, their movies all left me cold as well. The TV show on the other hand was a bit of a treasure for me as a kid, as was Amos 'n Andy. They borrowed MUCH from Burlesque and Radio and that had a lot to do with their success as they were time tested bits honed over time.

I don't have a favorite episode, but I like all the shows that featured Mr. Boccagalupe. My favotite bit? "Boxcars!" (SLAP)

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Some of the earlier A & C features I have not watched in quite awhile, like In the Navy or Buck Privates, but I've always been a big fan of Hold That Ghost, and Who Done It? was a great one as well.

A lot of the A & C features from the late 40s, going into the 50s were hit or miss, but the TV show was awesome and I think for the same reason many of the stooge shorts are great--because Bud and Lou had 30 minutes to work, so there wasn't time for a lot of singing and dancing numbers, the Andrews Sisters or any romantic subplots. You just had time to get down to the business of comedy.

I think the episode "Hilary's Birthday" from Season 1 is my favorite.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Svengarlic

Diesel, you reminded me of Buck Privates. Right up there with Frankenstein. I don't mind the Andrews Sisters. Those simple little dance routines during the musical interlude of the songs made them the Destiny's Child of the day.  :)

Offline metaldams

I'm with you guys who like the TV show.  Pure Bud and Lou, great routines, no extravagant musical numbers or romantic subplots, sign me up for that.

Of course being a classic horror fan I like the monster films, that almost goes without saying.  I also really enjoy the more experimental mid period films like THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES and LITTLE GIANT.  Overall, I tend to enjoy the later stuff more than the earlier stuff simply because the focus tends to be on Bud and Lou more....and yes, I love AFRICA SCREAMS.

I will also single out IN SOCIETY as everything that's good and bad about their films.  The plumbing stuff sends me into hysterics, but I've literally fast forwarded through the romantic musical numbers.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline luke795

I'm enjoying our weekly episode discussions, but I want to discuss somebody else briefly in addition to our weekly Stooge talks.  The way I've been watching Stooge shorts one a week for over a year now, I plan to do the same thing with Bud and Lou features, in order, starting this weekend.  There are about a half a dozen or so of their films I've never seen, and I plan on buying them individually when I'm about a month away from getting to them.

I have my opinions about favorite features, but I'll let somebody else discuss their's first.

Are you going to do the Marx Brothers movies and Laurel & Hardy shorts and movies too?

Offline metaldams

Are you going to do the Marx Brothers movies and Laurel & Hardy shorts and movies too?

Yes, and other comedians as well.  This weekly episode discussion thing taught me a good way regularly watch older comedies without overdoing it at the same time.  I think I am going to stick to two comedians/teams at a time.

I just ordered all the Bud and Lou films I don't have and for the most part never seen with the exception of DANCE WITH ME, HENRY.  I figure by the time I get to that film, their last, I'll be able to find a cheaper price than what's available now.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

When my Dad took me to see the 50 or 60 ft. Bride of Candy Rock (I forget her exact height) I was fairly freaked out that there was no Abbott.

Can't say the same for Martin and Lewis. Lewis films were decidedly funnier and more madcap. That's all any kid wants.

Offline metaldams

When my Dad took me to see the 50 or 60 ft. Bride of Candy Rock (I forget her exact height) I was fairly freaked out that there was no Abbott.

Can't say the same for Martin and Lewis. Lewis films were decidedly funnier and more madcap. That's all any kid wants.

It's 50 foot and I actually ordered that film as well. 

As for Jerry Lewis, I like him when he's doing strictly physical comedy, but whenever he does anything remotely resembling character, I'm not a fan.  I remember watching LIVING IT UP once and there was a scene where he was on the edge of a high building.  I was hoping he'd fall, so I could never endear myself to Jerry's screen persona.  I kind of wish he'd just been a gag writer and nothing else.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

Oh for sure Metal. Everything he made after the mid sixties was a bomb. (unless you lived in Europe) Some very talented people only have so many grand efforts in 'em. Look at Tarantino. Has he made anything worth watching since PULP?

Edit: I hear that the INGLORIOUS film was good, but I haven't seen it.

Offline JazzBill

I have always considered Abbott & Costello comedy to be like the Three Stooges without a middle Stooge. I don't consider that to be totally bad, they put out some pretty good stuff.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Svengarlic

I have always considered Abbott & Costello comedy to be like the Three Stooges without a middle Stooge. I don't consider that to be totally bad, they put out some pretty good stuff.
The boys played a lot of schtick off of each other whereas A&C Usually had a civilian like the cop or one of Sid Fields' characters play off of. Both worked pretty good.  [3stooges]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Just watched Jack and the Beanstalk for the first time. And for those who haven't seen it, the Goodtimes DVD is definitely of high quality--hard to imagine there being a better version out there.

As for the movie itself, generally when my favorite comedians do "cute and whimsical" I'm not for it at all--i.e. Mutts to You and Snow White. But "Jack" was hardly the embarrassment those films were.

While it's definitely not prime A & C, I didn't find myself counting down the minutes for the film to end. I would rate it a 6 on the 10 scale....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, I just finished watching In the Navy, and the comments I have for it are comments I could have for a lot of Bud & Lou's early features--a film that's good not great, but could have been great if a lot of the fat was trimmed.

And by fat, I mean all the singing and dancing and, of course, the romantic subplot that seems to be an unnecessary ingredient in not only A & C comedies, but a lot of the comedies of that time--I know the Marx Brothers features seem to be plagued with the same sort of troubles.

Still, Bud & Lou do fine work when given the opportunity to do their stuff & I'm wondering about Shemp's role in the film. By many reports, Shemp did a lot of funny stuff in his A & C appearances that got left on the cutting room floor.

Offline Svengarlic

Diesel, that makes me wonder if A&C ever shared a bill with the Stooges at some early point.

Offline metaldams

Well, I just finished watching In the Navy, and the comments I have for it are comments I could have for a lot of Bud & Lou's early features--a film that's good not great, but could have been great if a lot of the fat was trimmed.

And by fat, I mean all the singing and dancing and, of course, the romantic subplot that seems to be an unnecessary ingredient in not only A & C comedies, but a lot of the comedies of that time--I know the Marx Brothers features seem to be plagued with the same sort of troubles.

Still, Bud & Lou do fine work when given the opportunity to do their stuff & I'm wondering about Shemp's role in the film. By many reports, Shemp did a lot of funny stuff in his A & C appearances that got left on the cutting room floor.

I agree with the basic sentiment of what you're saying, but IN THE NAVY is by far my favorite of the service comedies.  The plot is not as annoying as other films, the recruitment aspect somewhat lessened, the music not bad in spots, and the comedy stuff great.  7 X 13  equals 28 is an all time favorite, and I get the feeling Bud and Lou were genuinely enjoying themselves in the "Son of Neptune" bit.  It seems like they're trying to hold in laughter as they're spitting on each other.

The Andrew Sisters were also a step above the standard singing couple fare that was obviously Hollywood manufactured in that they were a genuine musical act.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I just started on the Best of Abbott and Costello vol. 2 and I have to say, In Society has to rate as one of Bud & Lou's best. About an 8.5 I would give it on a 10 scale.

Of course, there are some of the usual drawbacks one expects with an A & C feature--the singing and dancing numbers; although I will say they didn't grate on me here as they do in some of their other films.

And as far as laughs go--do Abbott and Costello, dare I say, do plumbing better than the Three Stooges? And the Susquehana Hat Company gag, I almost died laughing. Of course, I first became familiar with the hat routine from their tv show--but I think it was even better in this movie.

Looking forward to watching Here Come the Co-Eds and seeing what kind of a part Chaney Jr. has in it...

Offline metaldams

I just started on the Best of Abbott and Costello vol. 2 and I have to say, In Society has to rate as one of Bud & Lou's best. About an 8.5 I would give it on a 10 scale.

Of course, there are some of the usual drawbacks one expects with an A & C feature--the singing and dancing numbers; although I will say they didn't grate on me here as they do in some of their other films.

And as far as laughs go--do Abbott and Costello, dare I say, do plumbing better than the Three Stooges? And the Susquehana Hat Company gag, I almost died laughing. Of course, I first became familiar with the hat routine from their tv show--but I think it was even better in this movie.

Looking forward to watching Here Come the Co-Eds and seeing what kind of a part Chaney Jr. has in it...

IN SOCIETY's comedy scenes are among Bud and Lou's best, and yeah, I laughed as hard at their plumbing stuff as the Stooges.  Of course, I've seen the Stooges stuff a thousand times more, so that may be part of the reason.

Best WWII era film is HOLD THAT GHOST.  They managed to sneak the Andrew Sisters at the beginning and end in entertaining bits and have an actual coherent and funny comedy film in the middle.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

In agreement about Hold That Ghost--my favorite A & C feature, which means yes, I think it's better than Meet Frankenstein. Watching that film makes me wonder why Joan Davis and Lou Costello didn't get paired together again--a missed opportunity I would say....

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Perhaps my all-time favorite Bud Abbott face--a poster (or perhaps a lobby card) for In Society...

Offline Svengarlic

In agreement about Hold That Ghost--my favorite A & C feature, which means yes, I think it's better than Meet Frankenstein. Watching that film makes me wonder why Joan Davis and Lou Costello didn't get paired together again--a missed opportunity I would say....
The horror host on ME TV, Svenghoulie, said that the scene in A&C Meet Frankenstein where the monster throws the chick out of the lab window was performed by Chaney, and not Strange. I looked close, and it sure looked like he was right. Just sayin'  :)

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Yeah, the story I've always heard was that on the first take when Strange tried to throw Lenore Aubert's stunt double out the window, the glass didn't break and the double bounced off of it and landed on Strange who twisted his ankle.

So, yes that is Lon in a few brief shots during that scene you mentioned Garlic....

Offline Svengarlic

Yeah, the story I've always heard was that on the first take when Strange tried to throw Lenore Aubert's stunt double out the window, the glass didn't break and the double bounced off of it and landed on Strange who twisted his ankle.

So, yes that is Lon in a few brief shots during that scene you mentioned Garlic....
Obviously the Monster must have still been blind to throw this broad out the window.

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

This is a tough one. I've never seen Buck Privates, so I'll probably have to settle for either Hit the Ice, Buck Privates Come Home, or The Naughty Nineties.
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!