Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Vernon Dent: Stooge Heavy

BeAStooge · 58 · 15508

Linked Events

• Vernon Dent: Stooge Heavy: September 01, 2010 - September 14, 2010

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

The scene was funny. I felt bad for Larry getting pelted with eggs, milk, a cake, and remaining pieces of the lightbulb. :D

Funny? It reduces me to tears. And the scene is a day at the beach for Larry compared to what happens to the Vernon Dent character!

Writing about the scene made me feel the need to watch it again: it's at 2:35 in the video at YouTube.

By the way, this site has a button for "YouTube" that introduces a code, but I don't understand how it works. Is it supposed to let you embed a video? If so, how? Sorry if this question gets asked a lot. The help page on posting does not even mention this button.

Offline Bill Cassara

I found a little item too late for the book, but it does stand out:  On 10-13-1925 on radio station KFO in Los Angeles, Vernon Dent is listed as a "soloist," performing at 7 p.m.  Then if you stayed tune; on the same station at 10 pm was "The Packard Ballard Hour" and featured Bud Jamison singing.  This was a lucky find; no telling how many times Vernon and Bud were on the radio singing.   

Offline metaldams

I found a little item too late for the book, but it does stand out:  On 10-13-1925 on radio station KFO in Los Angeles, Vernon Dent is listed as a "soloist," performing at 7 p.m.  Then if you stayed tune; on the same station at 10 pm was "The Packard Ballard Hour" and featured Bud Jamison singing.  This was a lucky find; no telling how many times Vernon and Bud were on the radio singing.   

When you say "find," are you referring to a piece of information or the actual recordings themselves?  Either way, fascinating to know.

Kind of funny, I was just having a discussion with my roomate tonight about the oldest recordings in our collections, and I don't go earlier than 1933 (some Bach violin pieces).
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Bill Cassara

The reference I was making was in one of the Los Angeles newspapers.  Actually in the daily radio guide, much like what the t.v. guide became later.  Unfortunately there is no way of even guessing what Vernon and Bud were singing.  Vernon had about 3 music sheets published, but that was in the late teens.  No doubt Vernon sang contemporary tunes and actually had a gig as a nightclub singer for years.     

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
By the way, this site has a button for "YouTube" that introduces a code, but I don't understand how it works. Is it supposed to let you embed a video? If so, how? Sorry if this question gets asked a lot. The help page on posting does not even mention this button.

Those buttons (which I just rearranged, by the way) were added in a mod installed to the forum, which is why there isn't anything in the Help page.  Your question has come up before, so I just posted a new thread on the Youtube board on "How to post a video" that should give you the info you need.

Offline Rich Finegan

Congratulations to Bill Cassara, whose book "Vernon Dent: Stooge Heavy" has been named one of the best film books of the year.
Check out entry no. 20 here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thomas-gladysz/best-film-books-for-2010_b_789485.html#s194101

Offline FineBari3

Congratulations to Bill Cassara, whose book "Vernon Dent: Stooge Heavy" has been named one of the best film books of the year.
Check out entry no. 20 here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thomas-gladysz/best-film-books-for-2010_b_789485.html#s194101

Way to go, Bill!!!!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams