Vernon Dent: Stooge Heavy

BeAStooge · 58 · 15502

Linked Events

• Vernon Dent: Stooge Heavy: September 01, 2010 - September 14, 2010

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Bear Manor Media's site now has a catalog entry for Vernon Dent: Stooge Heavy by Bill Cassara. It's still in "Coming Soon" status, but is set up for pre-ordering.

Thanks to Bill Cappello for the information.

Update
Shipping @ September 1, 2010.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 12:20:43 AM by BeAStooge »

Offline metaldams

This book will sell 15 copies, and I'll probably buy one of them.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I might be in for this too.

Wouldn't Bear Manor be a great place to get Stooge Kids published?

Offline Blystone

What timing... just when I decided that I've been spending too much money on entertainment and I ought to cut back. But I won't be able to resist this book, and I suspect that it's going to sell a lot more than 15 copies.

Most people probably just identify Vernon with the Stooges (understandably) and don't know that his film career went back to the silent days. At one early point, he was teamed with Harry Langdon as a "big guy-little guy" comedy duo along the lines of Laurel & Hardy, although I couldn't tell you which team came first. Maybe BeAStooge or another of the "expoits" here knows?

I've only seen two of those films, and I'll be the first to admit that I can't find anything funny at all about Harry Langdon, whose shtick seems to consist mainly of standing around doing nothing with a simpering look on his face. The major interest for me turned out to be watching a young Vernon, who in the 20's hadn't gotten really heavy yet, and could best be described as "stocky" rather than "portly;" he was built like a linebacker! And, he made up exactly half of a good team. I welcome Langdon fans to come to his defense and explain his appeal (there must be some of you out there).  ???

The pre-Stooges Vernon also turns up alongside Buster Keaton in "The Cameraman" and W.C. Fields in "Million Dollar Legs," but unfortunately, only in bit parts. However, his place in history is secure, as being the "male Margaret Dumont" to our favorite knuckleheads.

[3stooges]

Offline metaldams

What timing... just when I decided that I've been spending too much money on entertainment and I ought to cut back. But I won't be able to resist this book, and I suspect that it's going to sell a lot more than 15 copies.

Most people probably just identify Vernon with the Stooges (understandably) and don't know that his film career went back to the silent days. At one early point, he was teamed with Harry Langdon as a "big guy-little guy" comedy duo along the lines of Laurel & Hardy, although I couldn't tell you which team came first. Maybe BeAStooge or another of the "expoits" here knows?

I've only seen two of those films, and I'll be the first to admit that I can't find anything funny at all about Harry Langdon, whose shtick seems to consist mainly of standing around doing nothing with a simpering look on his face. The major interest for me turned out to be watching a young Vernon, who in the 20's hadn't gotten really heavy yet, and could best be described as "stocky" rather than "portly;" he was built like a linebacker! And, he made up exactly half of a good team. I welcome Langdon fans to come to his defense and explain his appeal (there must be some of you out there).  ???

The pre-Stooges Vernon also turns up alongside Buster Keaton in "The Cameraman" and W.C. Fields in "Million Dollar Legs," but unfortunately, only in bit parts. However, his place in history is secure, as being the "male Margaret Dumont" to our favorite knuckleheads.

[3stooges]

OK, I was wrong, this will will sell a lot more than 15 copies.  Twice as much at least!  Seriously, I hope it's a bestseller, but the cynic in me feels this is too much a special interest book.

As far as Langdon and Dent....I don't remember the exact film they started "teaming" together, but I'd say just before Laurel and Hardy, probably around late 1924 or 1925.  Vernon is excellent in LUCKY STARS as the charltan doctor.

The appeal of Langdon......well.....I know you're more into major knock about type stuff, so I can understand you not being a Langdon fan.  Harry is about delayed reactions and was an ADD child before the term ADD existed.  He usually has trouble focusing on tasks (again in LUCKY STARS, how they can milk 2 minutes of him deciding to go into a bar for a drink or to follow Vernon's character is classic), and I also find his complete lack of understanding towards sex to be a riot, though some find it creepy.  To each their own, I guess.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Blystone

Yeah, metaldams, you know my taste all right... give me "They Stooge To Conga" or "Goof On The Roof" or Tex Avery cartoons, anytime. Subtle, I ain't!

[club]

Offline Rich Finegan

I've only seen two of those films, and I'll be the first to admit that I can't find anything funny at all about Harry Langdon, whose shtick seems to consist mainly of standing around doing nothing with a simpering look on his face. [3stooges]

It's hard to describe Harry Langdon to anyone. It seems either one ''gets him" or doesn't.

I happen to like him, but readily admit he had some very low points along with the classics.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Is this a biography, a summary of his works, or what?

Either way I'll snag a copy. It's not every day a book about Vernon Dent comes out.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Rich Finegan

Is this a biography, a summary of his works, or what?

It should be both.
Author Bill Cassara has dug up all kinds of interesting material on Vernon's early life, and will cover his life and career all the way up to the end. There will be coverage of his films and other works, too, with much on his work with The Stooges.
Bill has worked diligently and passionately on this project for a long time, and has had the able assistance of many experts (foreword will be by Ed Watz), so we all may be assured this will be an essential book for all Vernon Dent fans (and aren't we all?) as well as Three Stooges fans and all fans of classic comedy.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Bill Cassara's Vernon Dent: Stooge Heavy became available effective September 1. Publisher Bear Manor Media, and some online retailers like Amazon have it ready for shipping.

Highly recommended!

ThumpTheShoes

Thanks for the heads up! I can't wait to tear into this!

Offline afcomser

I already ordered mine on Amazon, it has already shipped.
Well Open The Door Squirrel Bait!!

Offline JazzBill

I just put my order in. (I must be close to order #15)
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

I just put my order in. (I must be close to order #15)

You're #7.

I'll pick up my copy at Target or Walmart next week.  If I can't find it there, it'll be on my Christmas list.  I'm really cutting back on my spending after a trip to Boston and two concerts this summer.  For you guys who read it, let us know how it is.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Bud_Jamison

How could I not buy a book about Vernon!  How great!!  Where is a book on Bud!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
You're #7.

I'll pick up my copy at Target or Walmart next week. 

With a product line focused on the entertainment industry... film, radio, TV, Broadway/stage, vaudeville/burlesque, etc., Bear Manor has become a very successful niche publisher. Some BM books, like Dent author Bill Cassara's 2005 bio/filmography Edgar Kennedy: Master of the Slow Burn, received high-profile website & broadcast promotions from Leonard Maltin and his peers.

You will not find the Vernon Dent book stocked in retail chain stores. Bear Manor markets thru its website, online partnerships with Amazon, B&N, Borders, etc., entertainment fan clubs and organizations, and conventions around the country. Paul Mular reported earlier today on the 3 Stooges Fan Club Yahoo newsgroup that the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum in San Francisco will carry the book and may host (TBA) an author signing.

No, Stooge Heavy will not turn up on The Times' best seller list. With the Stooge-angle, it will certainly meet or exceed BM's marketing plan.

Offline Blystone

I'm going to buy this book, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. The role of the straight men (and some women) in classic comedy isn't appreciated enough, I say. Just yesterday, I watched Laurel & Hardy's "Blockheads," which has both Billy Gilbert and Jimmy Finlayson in it! Fin has a pretty small part, but he makes the most of his screen time. That's true of all the really skilled comic foils, especially Vernon, Fin, and Bud Jamison. There are many others... like for example, the great Emil Sitka, Christine McInytre, Stanley Blystone (ahem), and Phil Van Zandt.

Without them, the starring comics would have had no one to "bounce off" of... sometimes literally, with Curly!

[3stooges]

Offline Rich Finegan

How could I not buy a book about Vernon!  How great!!  Where is a book on Bud!
I helped Bill with his Edgar Kennedy book, and again with this one on Vernon Dent. When I asked him recently "When are you starting one on Bud Jamison?" he answered "You do it!"

Actually the one on whom I have almost enough material to actually do one, is Phyllis Crane (I hope nobody here is saying "Who's that?")

Offline metaldams

I don't care what Brent says, I'm marching into my local Target and demainding they burn all their Harry Potter and Twilight books and replace it with books on Vernon and Edgar Kennedy.  I suggest you all do the same.....and if you think I'm being serious you A.) don't know me very well, and B.) consider the above my version of..... http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php?topic=1242.0

.....but if I may be serious, I'd love to read reviews from those of you who read it first.  Like I said, mine will be on my Christmas list, so I'm waiting a few months.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Stooge-Adam

Actually the one on whom I have almost enough material to actually do one, is Phyllis Crane (I hope nobody here is saying "Who's that?")

I liked Phyllis Crane! I'd read a book on her.

Offline afcomser

It came today from amazon, and very interesting. I didn't know Vernon Dent & Harry Langdon did a Laurel & Hardy act 3yrs before Laurel and Hardy Started. Sadly I doesn't give us any info personal info about working with the stooges. It just gives a breif history about the stooges, lets us know his wife dies of complications of the measles, and a filmography of stooges shorts he was in, it doesn't even mention his movie appearance with them. Still very interesting, parrallels alot of the stooges life experiences, starting out as a musician, working for vaudeville, tragic losses in life. Mind you I've just skimmed the book, I'll get more into detail as soon as I read it entirely.
Well Open The Door Squirrel Bait!!

Offline JazzBill

I'm in the middle of the book now. Vernon Dent has always been my favorite Stooge supporting actor, so I'm enjoying it. I knew that he had a acting career before the Stooges, but I didn't realize that it was as extensive as it was. So far,one of the most interesting things I learned is that his wife Eunice is still alive today. I would love to be able to talk to her for a little while. She sure has seen a lot.

Offline falsealarms

Is his wife alive? One post here says she died of complications of the measles while another says she's still alive. If she's alive, she's gotta be way up there.

Offline metaldams

Is his wife alive? One post here says she died of complications of the measles while another says she's still alive. If she's alive, she's gotta be way up there.

He must've been a widower and remarried, because I've heard he has a wife still with us, or at least with us fairly recently. 

He must've landed a younger woman too.  Vernon would be what, 115?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

I think she is. In the Acknowledgments section on page 10. Mr. Cassara makes a special note of thanks to a Vernon Dent family member named Eunice (Dent) Friend. He then states that " Eunice, now past the century mark continues to live a full and happy life". I assumed that she was his wife at the time of his death. He was married two times before he married Eunice. I could be wrong, I haven't finished the book yet. I'll let you know if I find out differently.