Vernon Dent: Stooge Heavy

BeAStooge · 58 · 15734

Linked Events

• Vernon Dent: Stooge Heavy: September 01, 2010 - September 14, 2010

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Is his wife alive? One post here says she died of complications of the measles while another says she's still alive. If she's alive, she's gotta be way up there.

His first wife Grace died in 1938.  Widow Eunice is still alive.

Offline Bill Cassara

Hi folks,
Just for clarification; Eunice Dent (Vernon's widow) is still with us at 102.5 years old.  She is anxiously awaiting the book.  Euncie, by the way is wife # 3 for Vernon.  I wrote about Vernon's first wife whom he married late in 1915. 

Offline metaldams

Hi folks,
Just for clarification; Eunice Dent (Vernon's widow) is still with us at 102.5 years old.  She is anxiously awaiting the book.  Euncie, by the way is wife # 3 for Vernon.  I wrote about Vernon's first wife whom he married late in 1915. 

God bless her!  That's great.

My Great Aunt passed away a few years ago at 102 5/6 (I guess decimals do count at that age).
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Rich Finegan

Anyone else still awaiting the Vernon book, here's something to occupy our minds:
I sent Bill a copy of a rare Vernon Dent film recently and he commented on how well Vernon played a fine gentleman in the film and how well he might have been cast as The Wizard in "The Wizard of Oz".

I got to thinking: how might Three Stooges fans re-cast "The Wizard of Oz" with Stooges supporting players? Who would be a good scarecrow? Or Wicked Witch? Or Dorothy?
I think Joe Besser himself would be a natural as The Cowardly Lion..."Not so hard!"

Offline metaldams

Anyone else still awaiting the Vernon book, here's something to occupy our minds:
I sent Bill a copy of a rare Vernon Dent film recently and he commented on how well Vernon played a fine gentleman in the film and how well he might have been cast as The Wizard in "The Wizard of Oz".

I got to thinking: how might Three Stooges fans re-cast "The Wizard of Oz" with Stooges supporting players? Who would be a good scarecrow? Or Wicked Witch? Or Dorothy?
I think Joe Besser himself would be a natural as The Cowardly Lion..."Not so hard!"

For years I thought of The Three Stooges as the Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Cowardly Lion.  Larry, Moe, and Curly, respectively, would be in those roles.  Not really a "mean" type character for Moe of the three, but I'm sure he would play a fine Tin Man.  A '38/'39 Curly as the Cowardly Lion?  Bloody brilliant.  Never thought of Besser as the Cowardly Lion, but he wouldn't be bad either.

Vernon Dent would make a great Wizard, as would Emil Sitka.  Christine McIntyre as the Good Witch.....beyond that I'm kind of at a loss.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline afcomser

Yeah Larry(Scare Crow), Moe(Tin Man), Curly(Cowardly Lion), Christine McIntyre (Good Witch), Joan Howard (Dorothy), Vernon Dent(Wizard), Bud Jamison(Oz Gatekeeper), I think Grace Goodall could make a good (Wicked Witch of the West). If Emil Sitka was shorter, he could make a good munchkin Mayor
Well Open The Door Squirrel Bait!!

Offline Rich Finegan

Yeah Larry(Scare Crow), Moe(Tin Man), Curly(Cowardly Lion), Christine McIntyre (Good Witch), Joan Howard (Dorothy), Vernon Dent(Wizard), Bud Jamison(Oz Gatekeeper), I think Grace Goodall could make a good (Wicked Witch of the West). If Emil Sitka was shorter, he could make a good munchkin Mayor.

Good one!
I was trying to think who could have played Dorothy. And Joan really could have. She was just finishing up her 6-year movie career as a child actress when "The Wizard of Oz" was made in 1939.
And I agree with you about Emil. We have to think of a good role for him.

Offline afcomser

Cool We even got the Author Himself in on the discussion
Well Open The Door Squirrel Bait!!

Offline metaldams

Well, I couldn't wait any longer, forget about it.  I just placed my order, hopefully it'll arrive in a few days and you can be sure I will place my review in this thread when I'm done reading it.  I'm looking forward to learning more about Vernon and maybe even a little about The Three Stooges, Harry Langdon, and God knows who else.

I also got a laugh on amazon because I remember joking (well, partially, I really wish they would but in reality know it ain't happening), that we should all go to Target and demand they stock books on Vernon Dent and Edgar Kennedy, totally not realizing that Bill Cassara penned an Edgar Kennedy book as well!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Bill Cassara

I thought your idea of marching into Target stores and demanding Vernon Dent and Edgar Kennedy books was spot on, (naturally).  Most of us only know Vernon from his Columbia years...but how did he get there?  Answer:  Tremendous talent and experience, as with virtually all of the folks at Columbia (shorts) studios.   

Offline metaldams

I thought your idea of marching into Target stores and demanding Vernon Dent and Edgar Kennedy books was spot on, (naturally).  Most of us only know Vernon from his Columbia years...but how did he get there?  Answer:  Tremendous talent and experience, as with virtually all of the folks at Columbia (shorts) studios.   

Well, I certainly believe all the regulars like Vernon and Bud played a big part in making those Stooge films great, especially in the beginning.  No doubt these supporting players worked with the best before meeting up with The Three Stooges, and it only could've helped the Stooges along the way.

It's funny, when I first started branching out beyond The Three Stooges, I used to get excited to see somebody like Vernon Dent in somebody else's film.  It's now grown to the point where I've seen so many old comedies that I expect nothing less.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I caught this on Bud Jamison's wikipedia page.  Don't know if it's true, but does anybody have a reliable source for this tidbit?  It sounds cool, anyway.

"Moe Howard of the Stooges (who referred to Jamison as "Buddy Jamison") fondly recalled singing barbershop harmony with Charley Chase, actor Vernon Dent, and Jamison many times on movie sets."

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Bill Cassara

Vernon and Bud grew up singing barbershop.  They were both professional singers before they went into films...Charley too.  While waiting between scenes for the set-ups, the singers always got together with whomever could play an instrument.  Both Vernon and Bud can be seen in the very beginning of the feature movie "Nob Hill," singing the song "San Francisco."  Vernon and Bud were two of a quartett of singing waiters with 1890's period mustaches.  Only on screen for about 30 seconds...pity that.

Offline FineBari3

I caught this on Bud Jamison's wikipedia page.  Don't know if it's true, but does anybody have a reliable source for this tidbit?  It sounds cool, anyway.

"Moe Howard of the Stooges (who referred to Jamison as "Buddy Jamison") fondly recalled singing barbershop harmony with Charley Chase, actor Vernon Dent, and Jamison many times on movie sets."

I know that Moe's favorite music was barbershop, and had a very good baritone voice! 

I know that Bud also sang in a barbershop group called "The Rolling Stones". Rich Finegan, I know you can add to this conversation?
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline StoogeGirl

Vernon and Bud grew up singing barbershop.  They were both professional singers before they went into films...Charley too.  While waiting between scenes for the set-ups, the singers always got together with whomever could play an instrument.  Both Vernon and Bud can be seen in the very beginning of the feature movie "Nob Hill," singing the song "San Francisco."  Vernon and Bud were two of a quartett of singing waiters with 1890's period mustaches.  Only on screen for about 30 seconds...pity that.

That's really neat! It sheds some new light on the scene in "A-Ducking They Did Go."

Offline Rich Finegan

I know that Moe's favorite music was barbershop, and had a very good baritone voice!  

I know that Bud also sang in a barbershop group called "The Rolling Stones". Rich Finegan, I know you can add to this conversation?
Who, me?
I ain't been to a barbershop in years!

Actually, the Rolling Stones that Bud Jamison sang with was just a duet, not a group...his partner was Jimmy Adams (former silent comedy star and friend and occasional singing partner in "The Ranch Boys" with Charley Chase in several early thirties Hal Roach - Charley Chase shorts).

As "The Rolling Stones" Bud and Jimmy made two color one-reel shorts in 1930 for Tiffany Studios (six were announced and planned, but untimately only two were made). And they recorded a 78 RPM record for Victor in 1930, which consisted of two of the songs from one of the Tiffany shorts.
Fortunately one of the two Tiffany Rolling Stones shorts exists (under a 1944 reissue fake title) and the Victor 78 record is rare and can be expensive if found, but it's not lost. After decades of having it only on cassette I finally recently did acquire the actual record.

Bud Jamison recorded one more song for Victor Records in 1930. It was a solo (without any Rolling Stones) of the theme song from the 1930 Fox Picture "The Big Trail". Needless to say, he did a great job on it! A ballad crooned beautifully by Bud.

I've left out such details as film & song titles, release dates & recording dates and record numbers, etc.
But if anyone is interested, I can post those details later.
I believe I've written at least two different articles on Bud's singing and recording activities in The Three Stooges Journals over the years, if anyone wants to look back for them, or check to see if back issues are still available. All titles & dates details on Bud's Rolling Stones films and records are there.

Offline metaldams

Thanks for all the info guys, really fascinating stuff.  Stoogegirl, I too thought about A DUCKING THEY DID GO.

OK, I guess somebody's gotta ask this, so I'll bite.  Bud Jamison - did he play the Mick role or the Keef role?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

.....and by the way, Amazon has my book arriving on Monday.  Can't wait!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Book received, book read.  Great job, Bill!

I appreciated hearing a little about his early life and had no idea surrounding the tragedy of his parents.  I also had no idea Vernon worked for Thomas Ince.  While forgotten today, he was one of the biggest Hollywood producers back in the silent era.  Too bad there aren't really any in-depth interviews made with Vernon, because from a prestige point of view, I bet you he considered that his prime.

Of course, I'd rather see him with Moe, Larry, Curly, Shemp....and Harry Langdon too.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Bill Cassara

I'm very complimented you read the book, thank you.  Vernon was only interviewed two times in his life that I know of:  One in 1922 by a San Jose paper, then next one was 40 years later in 1962.  The latter interviewed him because he was "an old time silent picture star."  Unfortunately, no one sought out the supporting cast in anything back then.  Vernon would have had a great many things to say about the Stooges...if someone had asked him.  The reality is that between the years 1955-1963 Vernon was blind and at home.  If anyone wanted details about the Stooges; they would go directly to Moe or Larry back then.  They were still active as you know. 

The best chance for any first hand accounts from Vernon vanished in 1957.  A filmaker (Killiam), arranged to interview Vernon about Harry Langdon.  The equipment failed.  That last photo of Vernon is from that session.  We all would like to know more.  I hope that my attempt to bring the life of Vernon Dent in book form was informative and entertaining.  I was lucky to find out what I did and wanted to share the details for those who have a thirst for knowledge. 

Just thinking; if Vernon had stayed healthy and lived to be 100 years, people would have flocked to him to pick his brain.  He died too young and way before even Hollywood celebrated their own pioneers.     

Offline metaldams

The best chance for any first hand accounts from Vernon vanished in 1957.  A filmaker (Killiam), arranged to interview Vernon about Harry Langdon.  The equipment failed.  That last photo of Vernon is from that session.  We all would like to know more.  I hope that my attempt to bring the life of Vernon Dent in book form was informative and entertaining.  I was lucky to find out what I did and wanted to share the details for those who have a thirst for knowledge.  

Just thinking; if Vernon had stayed healthy and lived to be 100 years, people would have flocked to him to pick his brain.  He died too young and way before even Hollywood celebrated their own pioneers.      

You mean that picture on pg. 171? That's the last picture taken of him?  That was six years before he died.  I'd like to think somebody took a picture of after that, even if it's only in somebody's private collection we'll never know about.

But man, that's a shame about the equipment failing, I would've loved to have seen/heard that interview.  I heard a story on the Harold Lloyd DVD extras recently of a student interviewing Harold for a school project, only to find out at the end the student wasn't using the recording equipment properly.  Harold's advice to the student was to always make sure your equipment works when doing an interview.  Now I know what he means!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Bill Cassara

I agree.  What would that man have said?  I should clarify that the Vernon image (on pg 171) may or may not be  "the last photo."  There are no images of Vernon past that date that still exist to my knowledge.  The image you see in the book is actually a frame blow-up from that attempted interview, by kind courtesy of Paul Gierucki.

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

I just did a Google search for "Three Stooges Vernon Dent phone booth" to find the short in which the boys get jammed into phone booth with their cube-shaped nemesis (it's Scrambled Brains, in case anyone reading this didn't know—which seems to me unlikely, since people on this site seem to know all the shorts forwards and backwards), and it led me to a Vernon Dent fan page on Facebook.

The thing that I love about Dent is his consistently foul temper and violent reactions. He is the only recurrent character in the shorts who is even worse than Moe in those respects. Even when he starts a scene in a good humor, it takes only the smallest provocation to draw a violent outburst from him. The previously mentioned scene in the phone booth, where the Stooges clobber him with the groceries from the bags that he is carrying and eventually crush a lightbulb in his mouth ( [rotflmao]), is my favorite of all his scenes.

Offline Boid Brain

Welcome to the site, Hugo. You are right that there are some very stooge savvy folks around here!

NYUK1934

The scene was funny. I felt bad for Larry getting pelted with eggs, milk, a cake, and remaining pieces of the lightbulb. :D