The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

How to post a video

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
To post a video on the site, you one of the three buttons on the toolbar above the textarea where you enter your posts.    Those are for Youtube, Google and  other Flash videos, respectively.

Clicking on the button will insert the appropriate code that the forum needs to embed the video; you just need to put the appropriate identifying information between the tags.  For Youtube and Google videos, you just need the video's ID, as shown below; for other Flash videos you will need the video's URL (web address.)

1. Youtube  

Example video: 
&feature=related

The video's ID is the part after the ?v= and before the ampersand (&).  In this example it is R-8Xrv_FYno.  Copy the ID and paste it between the Youtube tags, as follows:

Code: [Select]
[youtube=425,350]R-8Xrv_FYno[/youtube]
You can change the size of the video when it's displayed by changing the dimensions in the Youtube tag (which defaults to the standard 425 pixels wide x 350 pixels high.)

2. Google 

Example video:  http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8301874778398374631#

The video's ID is the part after the ?docid= and before the pound sign (#).  In this example it is 8301874778398374631.  Copy the ID and paste it between the Google tags, as follows:

[googlevid=425,350]8301874778398374631[/googlevid]
Like the Youtube tag, you can change the size of the video when it's displayed by changing the dimensions in the Google tag (which also defaults to the standard 425 pixels wide x 350 pixels high.)

3.  Other Flash videos 

Example video: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ne4i_three-stooges-busy-buddies_fun

For other Flash videos you will need the actual address for the video file, which can usually be found in the embed code that most video sites provide to allow bloggers to display the video on their sites.  The embed code for the example video above looks like this:

That is a lot to look at, but the part we want in this example is near the beginning.  We want the value of the param tag named movie (<param name="movie"...)  In this case we want everything from the "http" up to the question mark, which should be copied into the flash tag as shown in the example below.  Different sites will vary on how this value is written, so you may have to experiment a few times by previewing your post to see if you got it right.

[flash=200,200]http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/x2ne4i[/flash]
Again, you can change the size of the video when it's displayed by changing the dimensions in the Flash tag (which for some reason defaults to 200 pixels wide x 200 pixels high.)

Offline OldFred

I've tried to post YouTube videos using the above button, but for some reason the video doesn't show up on my message, there's just a blank space. So, I just leave the link and trust that folks will click it to view the video.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I've tried to post YouTube videos using the above button, but for some reason the video doesn't show up on my message, there's just a blank space. So, I just leave the link and trust that folks will click it to view the video.

I'm not sure what you did wrong to get the blank space, Fred, but I modified your post about Lon Chaney's The Penalty to make the video display.

Offline OldFred

I'm not sure what you did wrong to get the blank space, Fred, but I modified your post about Lon Chaney's The Penalty to make the video display.

Thanks. I'm clicking the YouTube button when I put the link in, but for whatever reason it doesn't show up in my preview of the post. On other message board that I post YouTube videos on that have the YouTube button I don't have this problem. I'm not sure if it's my computer or what.  ???

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Thanks. I'm clicking the YouTube button when I put the link in, but for whatever reason it doesn't show up in my preview of the post. On other message board that I post YouTube videos on that have the YouTube button I don't have this problem. I'm not sure if it's my computer or what.  ???

I doubt that it is your computer.  Did you put the entire link between the tags?  If so, that is the problem; you should only put the ID between the tags, not the entire link.  Using the clip from The Penalty as an example, you would enter:

[youtube=425,350]IOLPRfTNdAI[/youtube]
NOT:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOLPRfTNdAI[/youtube]
The first example will display the video, while the second example will result in a blank space.  Other message boards may have similar functions, but they may not work in exactly the same way.

Offline OldFred

I doubt that it is your computer.  Did you put the entire link between the tags?  If so, that is the problem; you should only put the ID between the tags, not the entire link.  Using the clip from The Penalty as an example, you would enter:

[youtube=425,350]IOLPRfTNdAI[/youtube]
NOT:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOLPRfTNdAI[/youtube]
The first example will display the video, while the second example will result in a blank space.  Other message boards may have similar functions, but they may not work in exactly the same way.

Yes, I have placed the link between the YouTube tags. As mentioned, I've posted YouTube videos on other message boards and have not had any problems. I'll give it another shot.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Just bumping this to the recent post list as I have noticed that quite a few people are not informed as to how to embed a YouTube video as of late.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

stevenfrank38

I think if you follow the given instruction, You will be able to post any video. Because I have experienced it & it's a effective process.