Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Lon Chaney...was he the goods?

Offline Boid Brain

Don't get me wrong, I love his work. That movie where he had no legs (the penalty?) was good. The movie where he had 2 thumbs was very good..and the Hunchback, Phantom and about 10 more films were great, especially to the 1920's film goer's.

I'm sure that all of you know that he was to be Dracula, not Lugosi...in the '31 production from Universal...and probably would have played the Frankenstein monster too had he not died.

I think it was throat cancer....how ironic is that??

Dog Hambone

That movie where he had no legs...

I recall THE UNKNOWN (1927) where he played an "armless" knife thower. He actually had arms at first (hidden under his shirt) but then had a doctor remove them. But I don't recall a legless Lon Chaney. He was a character called "Dead Legs" in WEST OF ZANZIBAR. His legs were paralyzed, but still attached. To what movie are you referring?   

Offline OldFred

Not sure if this the film being referenced, but it could be 'West of Zanzibar'. I saw this still in a copy of Famous Monsters of Filmland, and it could have been a test makeup that was later used to shocking effect in the Todd Browning film 'Freaks'.

Offline Boid Brain

I recall THE UNKNOWN (1927) where he played an "armless" knife thower. He actually had arms at first (hidden under his shirt) but then had a doctor remove them. But I don't recall a legless Lon Chaney. He was a character called "Dead Legs" in WEST OF ZANZIBAR. His legs were paralyzed, but still attached. To what movie are you referring?   
The knife thrower movie is is one of the few silent pictures that I have watched all the way thru. The plot was a bit fantastic, but entertaining. A young Joan Crawford nee' LeSeour was the hottie that he had his arms whacked off for.

I can't remember the name of the film where he had 2 stumps for legs, but it was visually stunning. Apparently he had his lower legs taped backwards for the effect.

Hollywood can be baffling...the choice of James Cagney as Chaney in the bio pic was just plain stupid.

Offline OldFred

I can't remember the name of the film where he had 2 stumps for legs, but it was visually stunning. Apparently he had his lower legs taped backwards for the effect.

The Penalty is the movie you're thinking about, where Chaney had his legs strapped up to make it appear he was legless. A very painful dedication to his art. Watch the YouTube video for a clip from the movie. Chaney is amazing in it.

[youtube=425,350]IOLPRfTNdAI[/youtube]

http://www.classichorror.free-online.co.uk/penalty.htm
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:36:42 AM by Dunrobin »

Offline Boid Brain

That's a great photo, Fred. You gotta give the guy kudo's not just for his performances, but also for being able to come up with the ideas for the many quirks in his charactors. I wonder if Jack Pierce ever met him?

Offline OldFred

That's a great photo, Fred. You gotta give the guy kudo's not just for his performances, but also for being able to come up with the ideas for the many quirks in his charactors. I wonder if Jack Pierce ever met him?

According to Widipedia (which keep in mind isn't always the most reliable of sources, but you take what you can), Jack Pierce never worked with Lon Chaney, but he was obviously inspired by him. He did the makeup for 'The Monkey Talks' in 1927 and 'The Man Who Laughs' starring Conrad Veidt. Pierce later went on to great acclaim by creating the makeups for the famous Universal Horror films like 'Frankenstein', 'The Wolf Man', etc.

And yes, Veidt's makeup was the inspiration for the Joker in the Batman comics.

Dog Hambone

The Penalty is the movie you're thinking about, where Chaney had his legs strapped up to make it appear he was legless.

Thanks for that info, OldFred. I've never seen that one, & will have to check it out.

I recall in THE UNKNOWN, Chaney was smoking cigarettes & drinking coffee with his feet/toes. I'd venture to say most actors & actresses wouldn't go to that much trouble training for their roles.

I'm still wondering about BoidBrain's reference to a movie where he had 2 thumbs. Heck, I have 2 thumbs, as do most of us, & there isn't anything special about that. What's up with that, BB?

Offline Boid Brain

Good stuff, Fred....I just saw "The man who laughs" the other day. I had forgotten how hideous the guy was! They don't show his face 'till damn near the end of the film, but it's well worth the wait. That 1st 3/4 shot of him looking up.....what a sight!

That smile was reproduced in the '90's teen horror "Fright Night" on a girl. One of my kids freaked out and will never watch it again!

A word about Pierce: I'm trying to remember which actress said it....when it comes to me I will name her...but anyway she stated that he kept her waiting outside of his office, kind of like a Doctor. He was wearing that barbers smock he is always pictured in and would not make small talk. When he was done with her lightning bolt hairdo he just said "goodbye" and showed her the door.

In his bio, James Whale takes credit for the look of the Karloffstein. There are doodles of it still around today. Jack Pierce refuted it vehemently, claiming full credit. As the director it seems to me more his concern about the height of the monster, not the makeup man; ergo the big shoes, and head extension. Some say it was a collaboration between the 2 of them and Boris.

Whale wanted a Glenn Strange type actor, but when he met Boris in the commissary he had taken his bridge out of the right side of his mouth and had that "cadaverous" look. He liked it!But Karloff was only 5'10''....well, that's how the story goes....

Offline OldFred

A word about Pierce: I'm trying to remember which actress said it....when it comes to me I will name her...but anyway she stated that he kept her waiting outside of his office, kind of like a Doctor. He was wearing that barbers smock he is always pictured in and would not make small talk. When he was done with her lightning bolt hairdo he just said "goodbye" and showed her the door.

The actress is Elsa Lanchester who played the Monster's Mate in 'Bride of Frankenstein', and she also played Mary Shelley in the films' prologue. Lanchester was also married to actor Charles Laughton.

Offline Boid Brain

The actress is Elsa Lanchester who played the Monster's Mate in 'Bride of Frankenstein', and she also played Mary Shelley in the films' prologue. Lanchester was also married to actor Charles Laughton.

Yes Fred...I know. I was just foolin' around ;)

But did you know that Lawton was queer? He was. And they stayed married all those years! (It was James Whales' association with Charles that led to her getting the role) I'm sure you know that Whale was openly gay.

Offline OldFred

I knew Whale was gay, but we're talking about the 1930's when homosexuality was still a crime in England, so he had to keep his orientation quiet while working in America.

Offline Boid Brain

I knew Whale was gay, but we're talking about the 1930's when homosexuality was still a crime in England, so he had to keep his orientation quiet while working in America.
Yep, they kept it from the general public but the Hollywood insiders knew what was what. The word "gay" was an insider buzzword...the censors were not privy to it...that's why Cary Grant can hop up in the air and yell: "I just went gay" in "Bringing up Baby"...they didn't know what the fuck he meant. BTW, that was the 1st use of the word in that connotation in a movie.

Offline metaldams

I recall in THE UNKNOWN, Chaney was smoking cigarettes & drinking coffee with his feet/toes. I'd venture to say most actors & actresses wouldn't go to that much trouble training for their roles.

Those were not Chaney's feet, they were somebody else's.

Lon Chaney was awesome, but even he had his limits.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

Those were not Chaney's feet, they were somebody else's.

Lon Chaney was awesome, but even he had his limits.
Correct. The angle was all wrong. Quite noticeable. I remember wondering whose smelly feet he was smoking with!