Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Celeb spotted

Offline Boid Brain

You could have knocked me over with a feather! Over the years I have spotted Lucy, Lloyd Bridges, Jock Mahoney and Walter Brennan in Stooge shorts. I would have bet a million bucks that there were no more.

But just now watching "Dutiful But Dumb" on AMC I spotted the actor that played the intrusive miner in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and the husband in "Mildred Peirce". Two very prestigious, award winning films! Sorry, I don't know the guy's name.

So now I'm thinking: are there more no name actors that hit it big after doing the Stooge's that I have not spotted?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
But just now watching "Dutiful But Dumb" on AMC I spotted the actor that played the intrusive miner in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and the husband in "Mildred Peirce". Two very prestigious, award winning films! Sorry, I don't know the guy's name.

Bruce Bennett appeared in five Three Stooges shorts (four, plus one stock footage), in addition to a few other stooge-related credits.

The Summer 2010 issue of The Three Stooges Journal features a mini-bio on Bennett; the Spring 2007 issue includes an obituary.

Offline Boid Brain

Bruce Bennet! Yes.....well since there has been 43 views of this I guess those 4 mentioned were the only future celebs.

Offline Boid Brain

Dorothy Comingore
Dan Blocker
Adam West

I never heard of Dorothy so she can't be anybody. Dan Blocker is valid. I just forgot about that space goon. Adam West never appeared in a Stooge short. Just that one crappy Curly Joe movie.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Dorothy played Susan, Charles Kane's (Orson Welles) mistress in Citizen Kane (one of the greatest movies of all time). Just because you personally haven't heard of someone doesn't mean they are nobodies.

I don't recall you specifying shorts only. I think Adam West is a valid inclusion: he worked with the Stooges and went on to bigger things afterward.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Dorothy played Susan, Charles Kane's (Orson Welles) mistress in Citizen Kane (one of the greatest movies of all time).

I'm actually trying to get my brother to watch that movie.  He claims all acting in older movies is outdated and incapable of showing real human emotion.  I say the cream of any generation rises to the top and most the stuff he claims is great will be outdated 10 years from now.  Anyway, I've seen Kane probably more than a dozen times and it never gets old.

Yeah, Dorothy "Linda Winters" Comingore plays the second Mrs. Kane.  Citizen Kane is a Stooge nerd's dream, as it also has Phil Van Zandt, Sonny Bupp, Gino Corrado, and possibly other names I'm forgetting.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Boid Brain

Dorothy played Susan, Charles Kane's (Orson Welles) mistress in Citizen Kane (one of the greatest movies of all time). Just because you personally haven't heard of someone doesn't mean they are nobodies.

I don't recall you specifying shorts only. I think Adam West is a valid inclusion: he worked with the Stooges and went on to bigger things afterward.
Now if you had named Agnes Moorehead or Joseph Cotton from Kane I would agree that they became stars. I've seen Kane 10 times and I still would not be able to pick that actress out of a lineup. Tell me the Stooge short that she was in and I will probably recall her...maybe.

BTW, for future reference I don't even recognize the boys as the Stooges after Shemp. That fat sissy was funny as hell playing off of Costello, but not the stooges.  I don't even wanna think about DeRita!

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I never understood that line of thinking although I have come across it a lot in Stoogedom. In fact most people who think like that also disqualify Shemp ("As far as I'm concerned the Three Stooges are Moe, Larry and Curly"). You may not like the Joe's as Stooges (and to an extent I agree with you) but that doesn't mean they weren't Stooges.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Boid Brain

What's so hard to understand? When Curly left the team the production values started dropping big time. After Shemp arrived old episodes were re-used and location shots were abandoned. No more outdoors, just studio. Besser was an unfit replacement. But he deserved better than what he was given. The quality hit a new low. Some of the episodes made "Plan 9 from outer Space" look like "Ben Hur".