Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The 2008 Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 459 · 84780

Offline metaldams

I wonder if Jamie Moyer will retire?  He's 45, his contract's up, and he's on top of the world now.  Good for him.

I still say Bartlett running home after Utley kept that ball in the infield was the deciding factor, but I too was shocked to see Zobrist in for Baldelli.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

I'm glad I watched. I didn't have Philadelphia in my sights to go all the way when the playoffs started.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Did you see the way Gillick winced when the fans booed when he congratulated the Rays?  He knows what he's dealing with.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I wonder if Jamie Moyer will retire?  He's 45, his contract's up, and he's on top of the world now.  Good for him.

I still say Bartlett running home after Utley kept that ball in the infield was the deciding factor, but I too was shocked to see Zobrist in for Baldelli.

I heard somewhere that no matter what Game 4 was his final game.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline falsealarms

Too bad for the Rays. Really had wanted to see them win it.

Offline metaldams

My closing thoughts on 2008.  Congratulations to the Phillies.  Living in Delaware since 1992, I've lived in an area where pouting and whining prevailed, and now I get to see how the locals will conduct themselves as winners. 

The Red Sox were a beat up team all year AND lost Manny Ramirez in a distracting manner, so to make it all the way to game 7 of he ALCS was quite an accomplishment.  My favorite things for the year were Lester's no-hitter, Lester shutting out the Yankees in Yankee Stadium (Lester in general, really), watching Pedroia and Youk kick ass, Brandon Moss's opening day homerun, Jason Bay fitting this team like a glove, Masterson and Lowrie, Manny's 500th, and having lived through so many Dice-K starts.  Oh yeah, game 5 of the ALCS was special as well.

Finally, the Yankees didn't make the playoffs.  Call me a jerk for rubbing it in, but after 15 years, it's about damn time.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm gonna let Phillies fans get the last word when they are finished partying and then close this awesome thread.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline garystooge

WOW
What a great ending and how appropriate for Lidge to finish it off with a K.  He was clearly our MVP this year.  That Rays manager seemed like a nice guy when the series opened and he proved it last night by letting Jenkins bat against a righty and Burrell against a lefty. Yeah, the baserunning blunder helped, but without great athleticism and awareness by Utley and a great catch & tag by Ruiz, that run would have scored.

How sweet is this?
AH......LIFE IS GOOD!

Offline Lefty

Mazel Tov to my favorite baseball team, the Trenton Thunder.  Just kidding, I meant the Phillies!  That 2-day delay turned out to be for the best, as I was able to record, almost live on audio tape from the radio, Harry Kalas' play-by-play of the final strike.  They set a record for the longest World Series game ever played -- 49 hours, 20 minutes.  The Flyers hold the NHL record, 2 decades, in a game in Vancouver 12/31/89 to 1/1/90.   ;D

The Yankee fans at work were congratulating me today.  (I did something?  It must have been those hints I gave Charlie Manuel on how to pitch against the opponents.  LOL)  On the other foot, the Met fans have been in complete denial that there ever was a postseason this year.

Next year, as per the tentative schedule, the Phillies will play in Tampa June 23, 24, 25.  And for you Red Sox Nation members, come on down to the Bank on June 12, 13, 14 to see the World Champions.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 05:07:33 PM by shemps#1 »