Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The 2008 Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 459 · 84904

Offline metaldams

Game 6 2004 ALCS, an injured Schilling beats the Yankees 4 - 2.  A previously struggling Mark Bellhorn delivers the game winning blow.
Game 6 2008 ALCS, an injured Beckett beats the Rays 4 - 2.  A previously struggling Jason Varitek delivers the game winning blow.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Finally!!! Some good post season baseball. Best of luck to all you Boston fans. [cheers]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline falsealarms

Boston will win game 7.

Tampa Bay should have closed out the series in game 5, leading by 7 runs with 7 Boston outs left to go. After they blew that one, I thought they had to win game 6. If it went to a game 7, I thought Boston would win. Boston has all the momentum and I give them the edge with Lester over Garza. I don't see Lester having a second consecutive poor outing and I just like him a little more in a big spot. I also favor Boston if its tied late. Tampa needs to get a lead by the middle innings and keep it because I don't see them winning it late.

Tampa's biggest mistake was leaving the door open in game 5 and now Boston seems poised to break through it tomorrow night. I'd much rather see Tampa win this thing, but I don't see it happening anymore.

Offline Stooges#1

There used to be three teams that couldn't find the promised land for decades and decades. Finally the Red Sox, and my White Sox finally made it. There's only a handfull of people alive today that were around when the Cubs won their last World Series. Good Luck !

Thanks.  ;) I know that this seems like a stupid way to choose a team but as i've been into Baseball for a number of years i think its about time that i started really supporting a team. Some people just start supporting the team with the most championships, the best players or the best chance to win the championship but thats just not me.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
If there is one thing that I cannot stand in sports fandom it's someone who switches allegiances. Wrestler John Cena, who grew up in Massachusetts and has professed his love for Boston sports in the past can apparently be seen on Tampa's Jumbotron during the game rooting for the Rays. I don't care what team you're a fan of, switching sides is despicable and in my eyes makes you not a real fan.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Stooges#1

If there is one thing that I cannot stand in sports fandom it's someone who switches allegiances. Wrestler John Cena, who grew up in Massachusetts and has professed his love for Boston sports in the past can apparently be seen on Tampa's Jumbotron during the game rooting for the Rays. I don't care what team you're a fan of, switching sides is despicable and in my eyes makes you not a real fan.

I know what you mean. I could never switch teams, the team i support in Australia had their bleakest 6 yearss, were in major debt, and 6 years later their owner is the countries 3rd richest man, they ended up getting the best player in the competition and they have a good chance of winning the championship in the next 2-3 years with a young team and guess what? I stuck with them and its paid off, alot of supporters of my team probably jumped on another bandwagon, its a real shame. 

Offline metaldams

Let me get this striaght.  Game 7, and Alex Cora is in the line up?  I just got home from work, so I'm in on this game late.  Ugh!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Let me get this striaght.  Game 7, and Alex Cora is in the line up?  I just got home from work, so I'm in on this game late.  Ugh!
1 to 1 in the 5th, you Boston boys have to be going nuts. Finally, some good play-off baseball. I love it!!!!!!  [yay]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

1 to 1 in the 5th, you Boston boys have to be going nuts. Finally, some good play-off baseball. I love it!!!!!!  [yay]

I have no clue how Aybar hit that pitch.  If Tampa wins tonight, Matt Garza's the ALCS MVP, or Upton, or Longoria, or.....this team is good.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well congrats to Rays. I couldn't be prouder of the Red Sox at the moment, there really shouldn't have even been a game 7, with the huge game 5 lead and how banged up we are. The team nor the fans have nothing to be ashamed of. Hopefully we softened Tampa up for the Phillies, and at least Doug can sleep with both eyes closed.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Justin T

What a game, I thought coming into tonight Boston would pull it off, but Garza pitched
a gem for Tampa Bay and now their going to the World Series, unreal.

Ugh, now its Tampa vs Philly. Fox has to be pissed, ratings will be low.

Since I'm AL, I  kinda hope Tampa Bay wins. If they keep playing like this they will earn it,
But I dont care at this point, I'm already looking foward to next year.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
What a game, I thought coming into tonight Boston would pull it off, but Garza pitched
a gem for Tampa Bay and now their going to the World Series, unreal.

Ugh, now its Tampa vs Philly. Fox has to be pissed, ratings will be low.

Since I'm AL, I hope Tampa Bay wins. If they keep playing like this they will earn it.

Yeah, I'm sure Rupert Murdoch is downing a 5th of JD at the moment. A Rays/Phillies is not in the least bit appetizing or interesting to anyone outside of the local markets. I predict record lows ratings-wise, unless the series goes 7.

Offline metaldams

How appropriate Boston's season ends with the bottom of the order stranding a guy.  That's been their Achilles heel all season.

Lester was good tonight, Garza was better.  I like this Tampa team, if not so much the cowbell and mohawked fans, and I congratulate them. I can't say I'm cheering them on in the WS, as the Philles are the local team for me and are in a very, very, very, (VERY) distant second to the Red Sox for me.  I have a lot of friends who are Phillies fans, so go Phils!  The Red Sox have been my team since 1987 when I still lived in CT. and were my grandfather's team going back to Jimmie Foxx.  Grandpa, my Red Sox are better than yours.

Boston themselves have nothing to be ashamed of.  Game 5 was incredible, and they'll be contenders for years to come.  My car thanks them for losing tonight, as it has a lisence plate and bumper sticker with the Red Sox logo on it.  Living in a Philadelphia sports town, my tires most likely won't be slashed.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
You're lucky, I first started watching baseball and became a Red Sox fan during the 86 season.

Offline metaldams

You're lucky, I first started watching baseball and became a Red Sox fan during the 86 season.

My parents had a ridiculous bedtime rule with me until I was in high school (I demanded I stay up later once Monday Night Raw started), so there's no way I was allowed to stay up to see game 6.  Perhaps Mom and Dad knew what they were doing after all. 

I discovered baseball in '86, and I tangled back and forth between Yankees and Mets fan, finally settling on Boston in '87 by watching lots of Sox games with my parents and hearing stories of '49 from Grandpa.  I'm sure I told you this story before, but my parents were in Boston on vacation in '86 when they beat the Angels for the pennant and got caught up in the town's hysteria.

Man, the reality's hitting me that I won't watch another Sox game until April.  That's what's depressing me the most.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Kane, gotta ask the question:  Do we keep Varitek?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JoeCobbFan

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Kane, gotta ask the question:  Do we keep Varitek?

I say yes for a couple of reasons. #1, he brings so much to the table and is the team captain for a reason...and #2, there is no one who can take his place at the moment. If there's one spot in the lineup where you can skimp on the offense it's catcher.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It's looking good for the Phils after winning with Moyer on the mound. I'm surprised they got that game in.

Offline metaldams

It's looking good for the Phils after winning with Moyer on the mound. I'm surprised they got that game in.

My boss was at that game.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline garystooge

I spent about 9 hrs at the ballpark last night/this morning....but well worth it! Just glad that the first base ump didn't wind up costing us that game. We're ofer the series with RISP but still leading 2-1?  We thank thee O baseball gods for thy wondrous gifts!
Gary

Offline falsealarms

There's not too many better ways to spend 9 hours than at the ballpark.

Offline metaldams

I spent about 9 hrs at the ballpark last night/this morning....but well worth it! Just glad that the first base ump didn't wind up costing us that game. We're ofer the series with RISP but still leading 2-1?  We thank thee O baseball gods for thy wondrous gifts!
Gary

Tampa Bay was holding back Boston for the most part with RISP as well.  Whoever their pitching coach is needs to be commended for the way he has those young guys pitching from the stretch.

Last night was huge for the Phils.  I was thinking before the game it'd be best if the Phils got the PPD game so the possibility of another Hamels start would be more likely, but it turns out they didn't need it.  That 9th inning was nuts, as a ball wasn't hit more than 45 feet the whole inning and they still managed to score.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

Tampa Bay was holding back Boston for the most part with RISP as well.  Whoever their pitching coach is needs to be commended for the way he has those young guys pitching from the stretch.

Last night was huge for the Phils.  I was thinking before the game it'd be best if the Phils got the PPD game so the possibility of another Hamels start would be more likely, but it turns out they didn't need it.  That 9th inning was nuts, as a ball wasn't hit more than 45 feet the whole inning and they still managed to score.

That was one hell of a game last night, Phillies pulled it off and now have the momentum going into Game 4 tonight.

Its been reported that Game 2 was one of the lowest rated WS games ever but thats kinda sad, because even though my
team isn't in it, I'm still finding this World Series to be very entertaining.

Glad you got to see that game in person Gary! I wish your Phillies luck tonight.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"