The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The 2008 Baseball Thread

shemps#1 · 459 · 84289

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Don't worry Doug, the MFY aren't going anywhere. They haven't done anything of note in the offseason, except fire their manager and eventually keep a clubhouse cancer. With the improvements Detroit has made I'll be surprised if they make the playoffs (not very surprised mind you, but still...). Even if they do get the wild card they'll be out in the first round again. With their lackluster rotation I'm surprised they didn't try to take a low-risk gamble with Bartolo Colon like the BoSox did.

While the Yanks/BoSox and Yanks/Mets have legit gripes and feuds, Justin, I think the other baseball fans hate the Yankees, and even the Red Sox and Mets out of envy and jealousy. It's a simple case of the Haves and Have Nots. A rabid Yankee hater who is a Twins fan for instance is jealous that their cheap-assed owner won't pony up the dough to at least keep their stars and remain competitive, or even better pick up up a decent free agent or two to improve. I think it's also a geographical thing, most of the power in baseball lies in the northeast. Both the Red Sox and Yankees do travel well (Boston was #1 in road attendance, NYY #2), and have fans all over the country...the world at this point.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Justin,

I love the rivalry and am for all the shit talking in the world.  I obviously meant no personal offense in that little rant, as it's all meant in fun.  Oh, I do genuinely hate the Yankees, but I try to keep that hatred in check when discussing the game on a serious level.  It's fans who let their bias get in the way when discussing the game on a serious level that truly bother me, fans from both sides of the rivalry, I should add.  The irony is, I have more Yankee fan friends than Red Sox fan friends.

I also agree with Jim that people hate the Yankees because of jealousy, myself included.  Even now that the Red Sox have the upper hand, I'll always be pissed about the 15 or so years I had to put up with 1918 chants.  That said, I notice a much greater Red Sox hatred now that Boston is a winning team, and that truly is because people hate winners. 

As for the Yanks not having a chance in the East, I don't believe it.  They have a couple of really good young pitchers in Hughes and Kennedy, and IF they work out, the Yanks will be dangerous.  That line-up also scares the shit out of me still.  I think the division can go either way.  I'm actually more convinced Tampa Bay will finish ahead of Baltimore this season then I am picking a winner between Boston and New York.

Hmm, guys I'll start a baseball thread, 'cause we can go on all season about this and I'd like to keep this thread comedy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

OK guys, I did this as a "split topic" 'cause I want to start a baseball thread which I think can last all season and let the comedy discussion, which I still think has life, continue on its own.  Just trying to get used to the new moderating toys.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I am not at all impressed with Hughes and Kennedy as they are nowhere near battle tested. Look at Boston's young pitching by comparison: Jon Lester is definitely battle-tested thus far in his young career, what his his performance in the World Series and all, not to mention his battle with cancer. Then we have Bucholz, who threw a no-no last season. Did I forget that Beckett and Dice-K both turn 27 this year? As far as pitching goes there's no contest: Boston is better hand down.

As the old adage goes, a great pitcher will get a great hitter out 9 out of 10 times, and while the MFY will score some runs and do have a better line-up, the Sox lineup will tear apart that decrepit Yankee rotation. And don't get me started on Wang, he's a sinker pitcher and sinker pitchers tend to have their sinkers flatten out more and more as time goes by. Here's another old adage for you, a flat sinker is the equivalent of a batting practice fastball: just ask Derek Lowe.

I think Carmona in Cleveland is best sinker baller out there, and that's because he's a wicked fastball to back it up. He shut the MFY down in the ALDS last year while Wang got bitch-smacked by the Tribe (although Fausto did get his ass kicked by the Sox in the ALCS, but he'll be more dangerous in the playoffs this time around).

Let's kick this thread off right, with prognostications. Who do you guys think will make the postseason in each league? Here are my pre-season picks:

AL EAST: BOSTON RED SOX
AL CENTRAL: CLEVELAND INDIANS
AL WEST: LOS ANGELES ANGELS
AL WILD CARD: DETROIT TIGERS

other teams with winning records: Yankees, Mariners, Blue Jays

NL EAST: NEW YORK METS
NL CENTRAL: CHICAGO CUBS
NL WEST: ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS
NL WILD CARD: PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

other teams with winning records: Dodgers, Rockies, Padres, Brewers

The National League is a lot harder to figure out since there is so much parity, but I think Santana gives the Mets a very distinct advantage.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Shit, I'll even go as far to predict how the divisions will play out:

AL EAST
1. BOSTON
2. NEW YORK
3. TORONTO
4. TAMPA BAY
5. BALTIMORE

AL CENTRAL
1. CLEVELAND
2. DETROIT
3. CHICAGO
4. MINNESOTA
5. KANSAS CITY

AL WEST
1. LOS ANGELES
2. SEATTLE
3. TEXAS
4. OAKLAND

NL EAST
1. NEW YORK
2. PHILADELPHIA
3. ATLANTA
4. WASHINGTON
5. FLORIDA

NL CENTRAL
1. CHICAGO
2. MILWAUKEE
3. ST. LOUIS
4. HOUSTON
5. CINCINNATI
6. PITTSBURGH

NL WEST
1. ARIZONA
2. LOS ANGELES
3. COLORADO
4. SAN DIEGO
5. SAN FRANCISCO

Offline metaldams

I am not at all impressed with Hughes and Kennedy as they are nowhere near battle tested. Look at Boston's young pitching by comparison: Jon Lester is definitely battle-tested thus far in his young career, what his his performance in the World Series and all, not to mention his battle with cancer. Then we have Bucholz, who threw a no-no last season. Did I forget that Beckett and Dice-K both turn 27 this year? As far as pitching goes there's no contest: Boston is better hand down.

I'd say Phil Hughes is as battled tested as any rookie can be.  He won an elimination game relieving his beat up childhood hero and in two games, gave up a single run in 5 2/3 against a tough Cleveland line-up.  He also had a no-hitter going in his second career start until his hamstring acted up on him.  I'd say the kid's got potential and I wish he were in a Sox uniform.  Kennedy, on the other hand, is definitely less battle tested.  As for Wang, he's still young and I think he'll have a relatively similar year to last.  Mussina is a huge ? and I'm not sure who the fifth starter is, Igawa, perhaps, or is Chamberlain starting? 

I do agree on paper the Boston rotation is stronger, even without Schilling.  Colon, at the price they got him, was an awesome pick-up.  Lester should post a 4.30 ERA and hopefully improve his control, but he has a lot of guts and pitches out of jams constantly.  Beckett will be Beckett barring injuries and I think a more culturally adjusted Dice-K should improve this season.  It should be interesting to see Wakefield and Kevin Cash work together now that Belli's gone and Buchholz?  Well, the kid is very impressive (and he's banging a Penthouse Pet), and he has one of the nastiest curve balls I have ever seen, but he's still only pitched four major league games.  Still, I watched the Baltimore broadcast when I saw the no-hitter, and Jim Palmer was comparing Buchholz to a young Jim Palmer.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Almost a no-hitter does not a no-hitter make, just ask Schilling. On top of the starting rotation the Sox also have a stronger bullpen; the strongest in MLB. With kids like Papelbon and Delcarmen and vets like Okajima and Timlin we have innings 6-9 covered. Add to that long relievers like Snyder and Tavarez, and whomever doesn't make the rotation and it's quite obvious that Theo has the Sox well stocked. The MFY do have Chamberlain and Rivera, but they'll need more than that most nights with past their primers like Pettitte and Mussina leading the rotation.

Mussina hasn't had a good season since 2003. Did you see him in the postseason last year? Have you seen Mussina at all the past four or five seasons? He has no heart and his tank is empty. It'll be a miracle if he remains in the rotation all season.

You also have to factor in the MFY X-factor that is A-Rod. This man thinks the word "team" is spelled I-I-I-M-E-M-E. No matter his personal stats he is a clubhouse cancer and will never win a World Series ring; nor will he ever care about winning one. He's the new Barry Bonds. I just hope he gets caught with another piece of Boston strange so the fans can wear more masks when he's at bat.

Offline metaldams

Almost a no-hitter does not a no-hitter make, just ask Schilling. On top of the starting rotation the Sox also have a stronger bullpen; the strongest in MLB. With kids like Papelbon and Delcarmen and vets like Okajima and Timlin we have innings 6-9 covered. Add to that long relievers like Snyder and Tavarez, and whomever doesn't make the rotation and it's quite obvious that Theo has the Sox well stocked. The MFY do have Chamberlain and Rivera, but they'll need more than that most nights with past their primers like Pettitte and Mussina leading the rotation.

Timlin's older now and while he may very well be a good thing, I wouldn't pencil him in as definitive.  2005 was his last strong, injury free season.  He was better in 2007 than 2006, but was hurt the first half of last year.  Not a bad guy to have, but I wouldn't consider Timlin a sure thing at this point, just good for depth.

Snyder and Tavarez are inconsistent and Snyder is at best a long reliever, but even that's not a sure thing.  Snyder can have his good days, but after 4 innings is usually toast.

I agree about everything else, though, and I think Manny Delcarmen is going to have a breakout year.  Paps is adding a slider to his arsenal and may be even stronger and I think Oki will stay strong all season, 'cause like Dice K, he should be better adjusted to the schedule.  Overall, we probably do have the best bullpen in baseball.

Mussina hasn't had a good season since 2003. Did you see him in the postseason last year? Have you seen Mussina at all the past four or five seasons? He has no heart and his tank is empty. It'll be a miracle if he remains in the rotation all season.

You're probably right, which makes me wonder if Joba will ever be considered to start?  Then again, they may just buy or trade for a good starter at the deadline, they can afford it.

You also have to factor in the MFY X-factor that is A-Rod. This man thinks the word "team" is spelled I-I-I-M-E-M-E. No matter his personal stats he is a clubhouse cancer and will never win a World Series ring; nor will he ever care about winning one. He's the new Barry Bonds. I just hope he gets caught with another piece of Boston strange so the fans can wear more masks when he's at bat.

Fuck A-Rod.  Seriously, I don't care how good he plays, I can't stand the guy, and it has nothing to do with the fact he's a Yankee.  He's the biggest primadonna in baseball right now.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

I'm just praying for the Pirates to finish above .500!

We have such a great ballpark here and it has been SO long since we had a good team (1992).

....Kicked Billy Crystal's ass!
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Justin T

Don't worry Doug, the MFY aren't going anywhere. They haven't done anything of note in the offseason, except fire their manager and eventually keep a clubhouse cancer. With the improvements Detroit has made I'll be surprised if they make the playoffs (not very surprised mind you, but still...). Even if they do get the wild card they'll be out in the first round again. With their lackluster rotation I'm surprised they didn't try to take a low-risk gamble with Bartolo Colon like the BoSox did.

While the Yanks/BoSox and Yanks/Mets have legit gripes and feuds, Justin, I think the other baseball fans hate the Yankees, and even the Red Sox and Mets out of envy and jealousy. It's a simple case of the Haves and Have Nots. A rabid Yankee hater who is a Twins fan for instance is jealous that their cheap-assed owner won't pony up the dough to at least keep their stars and remain competitive, or even better pick up up a decent free agent or two to improve. I think it's also a geographical thing, most of the power in baseball lies in the northeast. Both the Red Sox and Yankees do travel well (Boston was #1 in road attendance, NYY #2), and have fans all over the country...the world at this point.

That's very true Shemps, one of the main reasons is the money factor. The Yankess have spent INSANE ammounts of money since the 90's and only this decade
have other teams like Boston have been able to match that.

And despite the fact I am a die hard Yankee fan, I was PISSED at what A-Rod did and was less happy that he got resigned for that INSANE contract.
I pray he actually delivers or I will join the chours of wanting him to get his greedy ass out of New York.

They wish their small market team had the money to get quality free agents AND be able to keep the young talent they have. Most of the time they go
to NY or Boston or any team who can poney up the big bucks and give them a shot at getting their World Series ring. It's a sad fact of baseball.

"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline Justin T

Justin,

I love the rivalry and am for all the shit talking in the world.  I obviously meant no personal offense in that little rant, as it's all meant in fun.  Oh, I do genuinely hate the Yankees, but I try to keep that hatred in check when discussing the game on a serious level.  It's fans who let their bias get in the way when discussing the game on a serious level that truly bother me, fans from both sides of the rivalry, I should add.  The irony is, I have more Yankee fan friends than Red Sox fan friends.

I also agree with Jim that people hate the Yankees because of jealousy, myself included.  Even now that the Red Sox have the upper hand, I'll always be pissed about the 15 or so years I had to put up with 1918 chants.  That said, I notice a much greater Red Sox hatred now that Boston is a winning team, and that truly is because people hate winners. 

As for the Yanks not having a chance in the East, I don't believe it.  They have a couple of really good young pitchers in Hughes and Kennedy, and IF they work out, the Yanks will be dangerous.  That line-up also scares the shit out of me still.  I think the division can go either way.  I'm actually more convinced Tampa Bay will finish ahead of Baltimore this season then I am picking a winner between Boston and New York.

Hmm, guys I'll start a baseball thread, 'cause we can go on all season about this and I'd like to keep this thread comedy.

Thanks for starting the thread Metal. I'm always game to talk baseball.  8)

I didn't think it was personal at all, I understand why Yankee Haters feel the way they do.

Yeah, I also try to not let any bias creep in when it comes to talking baseball. I'm not fond of Boston but I dont hate em, I respct how
good they are now and I enjoy the good aspects of the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry.

I was suprised you gave the Yanks good odds of winning the division this year! I don't try to be too optimistic untill the regular season
gets underway. Last year they started HORRIBLE and then they got hot and stayed right behind Boston for the rest of the season.

They COULD win the AL East but it won't be easy by a long shot. Boston is still strong, but they prob need to worry about their lineup if
Schilling's shoulder problem persists, I'm surprised they kept Wakefield around, hes not that great anymore. He's prob the only major weakness
in their staff. Their young guns did well last year so it will be interesting to see how well they do this season. Beckett is Beckett as long as
he's healthy, if hes not then he struggles.

Yanks got some questions marks no doubt, but the lineup is still good, Wang is young and def will improve as time goes on. Andy will prob have a
solid season again. I'm def keen on Hughes and Kennedy, Kennedy didn't get as much innings and work as Hughes but his ERA was 1.83 in 5 starts
before he got injured, that was impressive so I hope he keeps that up.

Hughes was great in the Cleveland series so Im expecting more from him to start then Kennedy. As for Moose, I have no idea what
were going to get out of him. Mussina has been so inconsistant the last few seasons it's been annoying. He's the big X factor and
def. the biggest weak spot in our rotation.

Our bullpen still has issues, and yeah Boston's is better in comparison. But with Joba still there I hope that we can find the guys we can count on
during teh season, its a work in progress so we shall see.

No worries about the lineup, its one of the strongest in baseball. Melky and Cano are really starting to take off, I'm really keen on Cano he is one
of the best 2nd Basemen in the League.

As for Joba, I love the guy (I got to see him get his first career save against the Blue Jays last season in person, I loved being at the stadium for that)
but I'm glad their doing to wait and see with him. I'd love to see what he can do as a starter, but I see the merits of keeping him in the bullpen and see
if he will be the guy that they can replace Rivera with when he retires. I'm torn which way to go, so i'm glad their not rushing him because he has
amazing stuff.

I was watching the speed count on his slider during that Jay's game, and even at 78-79 miles an hour the Jays still couldn't touch it.
I was like wow, now that's a killer pitch.

No matter what, the Yankess are going to win 90+ games and  probably make it into the postseason again, its what they do when they get there that I'm concerned about. This postseason slump has got to end sometime.

I'm def keeping an eye on the Tigers, if they can gell they could challenge Cleaveland for the Central, or take the Wild Card if the Yankess slump too
much late in the season.

AL East: Red Sox
AL Central: Indians
AL West: Angels
AL Wild Card: Yankess

Angels are still good but their not as good as they used to be, they showed that last year vs Boston in the first round of the playoffs. Besides
these four only the Tigers have a real shot of getting into the playoffs in the AL. Red Sox and Yanks own the top two spots in the East, Blue Jays
will prob finish third and I def think Tampa Bay will be better than Baltimore, leaving the Birds to rot in the basement. Indians vs Tigers should
be fun to watch this season, and unless they make some moves during the season I dont see how Seattle can stop the Angels from winning the
West again.

NL East: Mets
NL Central: Cubs
NL West: Rockies
NL Wild Card: Phillies or Padres.

The NL West is very interesting, I dont think the Rockies were a fluke last year, they will most likely contend again this year, Diamondbacks don't have
the lineup or pitching to really compete with the Rockies and Padres. Cubs will prob win the Central again, we'll see if the Brewers were a fluke or
not this season. Mets will be challenged again by the Philles and it will def be interesting. Phillies will not be understimated this season IMO
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Die hard Yankee fans should be pissed at A-Rod, moreso than even Red Sox and Rockies fans. You should also be pissed at the front office for flat out lying by saying there was no way they would not resign him then go ahead and do just that. The World Series should be the "holy grail" of baseball; nothing else should even be discussed while it's taking place. The fact that he attempted to put the spotlight on himself while it was still taking place sickens me as it should sicken every baseball fan. If Baby Steinbrenner were at all smart he would have let the asshole go, because there is no way any team is going to win with him in the lineup.

I'll tell you guys what I'm going to do; I'm going to some research and post preseason reports on every team as time permits. I'll go alphabetically by location, so I think that makes Arizona first.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Arizona Diamondbacks

2007 Payroll: $52 million, 26th in MLB

2007 Record: 90-72, 1st place NL West

Defeated CHC in 2007 NLDS 3-0
Lost to COL in 2007 NLCS 4-0

Key transactions: Acquired SP Dan Haren from OAK, traded RP Jose Valverde to HOU

Projected lineup/age:
C Chris Snyder/27
1B Connor Jackson/25
2B Orlando Hudson/30
3B Mark Reynolds/24
SS Stephen Drew/25
LF Eric Byrnes/32
CF Chris Young/24
RF Justin Upton/20

Starting Rotation:
Brandon Webb/28
Dan Haren/27
Randy Johnson/44
Doug Davis/32
Micah Owings/25

Relief Pitching:
Tony Pena/26
Chad Qualls/29
Juan Cruz/29
Doug Slaten/28
Dustin Nippert/26
Brandon Lyon, closer/28

The Diamondbacks have a great 1-2 punch in the front of the rotation with Webb and Haren, and are OK at the 4-5 spots, but I'll be surprised if Randy Johnson makes it through the entire season without injury. I also question how effective the Big Unit will be when he's able to pitch, what with his turning 45 by season's end. The lineup is young and has some experience thanks to last year's playoff run, and also plays great fundamental baseball. However, there is no one that instills fear in the opposing pitcher. The bullpen is questionable at best, especially with the loss of Valverde at closer. Brandon Lyon is a big step down.

The National League West is the hardest division to figure out in all of baseball, and should be an out and out dogfight between everyone except for SF. For the time being, with the parity in the NL I'm going to tentatively the D-Backs repeat as NL West champs, but it will be a photo finish.

Offline metaldams

Awesome about the team reports, Jim.

Speaking of Randy Johnson, here's a game I was at as a 12 year old where he pitched.  It was at Fenway, and I did the online reseach based on a picture I have of the scoreboard while Wade Boggs was at bat.  The results?

http://baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=199109070BOS

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Atlanta Braves

2007 Payroll: $87.2 million, 15th in MLB

2007 Record: 84-78, 3rd Place NL East

Key Transactions: Signed SP Tom Glavine, Acquired OF Mark Kotsay from OAK, lost OF Andruw Jones to FA, traded SS Edgar Renteria to DET

Projected lineup/age
C Brian McCann/24
1B Mark Teixeira/27
2B Kelly Johnson/26
3B Chipper Jones/35
SS Yunel Escobar/25
LF Matt Diaz/30
CF Mark Kotsay/32
RF Jeff Francoeur/24

Starting Rotation:
John Smoltz/40
Tim Hudson/32
Tom Glavine/42
Mike Hampton/35
Jair Jurrjens/22

Relief Pitching:
Mike Gonzalez/29
Peter Moylan/29
Manny Acosta/26
Will Ohman/30
Tyler Yates/30
Raphael Soriano, closer/28

With the Mets and Phillies in the same division and question marks in their lineup and bullpen, the once mighty Braves shouldn't be much of a factor in 2008. The 1990's Braves caled...they want their starting pitchers back. Their is nowhere to go but down for Glavine, especially after the disappointing end to his career in Queens. Smoltz has perhaps one or two good seasons left in him, and Hudson nor Hampton have done anything of merit besides spend time on the DL for some time now. Amidst all that age their is a young pup pencilled in at the ass end of the rotation. They have a great closer with some wicked stuff in Soriano, but how often will he come in to tight games with the Braves ahead? The lineup has some punch with Teixeira and Chipper knows how hit despite a drop-off in power, but that's pretty much it; Francoeur could improve though. I'll say the Braves will win anywhere from 76-81 games.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Baltimore Orioles

2007 Payroll: $93.5 million, 10th in MLB

2007 Record: 69-93, 4th Place AL East

Key Transactions: Traded SP Erik Bedard to SEA, traded SS Miguel Tejada to HOU

Projected Lineup/age:
C Ramon Hernandez/31
1B Kevin Millar/36
2B Brian Roberts/30
3B Melvin Mora/36
SS Luis Hernandez/23
LF Luke Scott/29
CF Adam Jones/22
RF Nick Markakis/24
DH Aubrey Huff/31

Starting Rotation:
Jeremy Guthrie/28
Daniel Cabrera/26
Adam Loewen/23
Garrett Olson/24
Radhames Liz/24

Relief Pitching:
Dennis Sarfate/26
Jaime Walker/36
Greg Aquino/30
Jim Hoey/25
Brian Burres/26
George Sheriff, closer/30

One word describes the 2008 Baltimore Orioles on paper: Yuck. With one of the worst owners in MLB it doesn't look to get better anytime soon for O's fans. The lineup is full of guys who have seen better days and would probably rather be somewhere else (Millar, a member of the 2004 Red Sox, threw out the first pitch during one of the World Series games last year I believe), the rotation is full of young guys that don't show too much promise, and the weak bullpen will be heavily taxed all season (especially when facing the division's two beasts). Look for the Orioles to claim the AL East cellar from TB and easily cross the 100 loss threshold.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Jurrjens in ATL was in DET last year.

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Boston Red Sox

2007 Payroll: $143 million, 2nd in MLB

2007 Record: 96-66, 1st Place AL East

Defeated LAA in 2007 ALDS 3-0
Defeated CLE in 2007 ALCS 4-3
Defeated COL in 2007 World Series 4-0

Key Transactions: Signed SP Bartolo Colon

Projected lineup/age
C Jason Varitek/35
1B Kevin Youkilis/29
2B Dustin Pedroia/24
3B Mike Lowell/34
SS Julio Lugo/32
LF Manny Ramirez/35
CF Coco Crisp/28 OR Jacoby Ellsbury/24
RF J.D. Drew/32
DH David Ortiz/32

Starting Rotation:
Josh Beckett/27
Daisuke Matsuzaka/27
Clay Bucholz/23
Tim Wakefield/41
Jon Lester/24

Relief Pitching:
Hideki Okajima/32
Manny Delcarmen/26
Mike Timlin/42
Javier Lopez/30
Jonathan Papelbon, closer/27

I'm sure most teams would love to have the problems the reigning World Champions have. For instance, deciding who to start in center field? ESPN.com has Coco Crisp pencilled in as the starter, but most pundits agree that Jacoby Ellsbury will eventually get the nod. The BoSox resigned all of their key components from last year and have a surpringly young nucleus. While their are some guys a little long in the tooth like Timlin and Wakefield they should be able to provide great leadership as should team captain Jason Varitek. Expect Big Papi to have a better year than last after healing his wounds, and Ortiz says Ramirez will have a stellar year as well. The rest of the lineup, while not mashers, are mostly great hitters who'll get the job done. A couple of question marks are Julio Lugo and J.D. Drew, who are coming off subpar seasons.

The rotation is shaping up to be one of the best in baseball, and you can't count out Curt Schilling or Bartolo Colon. The bullpen is pretty much intact from last year's, which was tops in MLB. I think the Sox will win the AL East again and make a run at a title defense, possibly winning 100 game in the process, beating up on BAL and TB.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Chicago Cubs

2007 Payroll: $99.6 million, 8th in MLB

2007 Record: 85-77, 1st Place NL Central

Lost to ARI 3-0 in 2007 NLDS

Key Transactions: Signed OF Kosuke Fukudome, signed SP Jon Leiber, released SP Mark Prior

Projected lineup/age:
C Geovanny Soto/25
1B Derrek Lee/32
2B Mark DeRosa/33
3B Aramis Ramirez/29
SS Ryan Theriot/28
LF Alfonso Soriano/32
CF Felix Pie/23
RF Kosuke Fukudome/30

Starting Rotation:
Carlos Zambrano/26
Ted Lilly/32
Rich Hill/28
Jon Lieber/37
Ryan Dempster/30

Relief Pitching:
Bob Howry/34
Jose Ascanio/22
Scott Eyre/35
Michael Wuertz/29
Jason Marquis/29
Carlos Marmol, closer/25

The starting rotation for the Chicago Cubs leaves a lot to be desired. Sure Zambrano is a great ace, and Lilly is a good middle rotation guy, but after that it's slim pickings. The lineup is formidable; it'll be interesting to see how Fukudome acclimates and if Derek Lee is his power stroke back. If he doesn't he's always good for average. Soriano should bring in over 100 runs and strike out over 100 times, and Ramirez should be as dangerous as ever. The relief corps is a big question mark. The Cubs should repeat as NL Central champs and might even win 90 games this year.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm going to do these at clips of five at a time. Next up will be the White Sox, Reds, Indians, Rockies and Tigers.

Offline Justin T

I'm going to do these at clips of five at a time. Next up will be the White Sox, Reds, Indians, Rockies and Tigers.

Very cool.

Nice job Shemps, I agree with alot of what you have said when looking at each team's outlook for
this season.
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

"Studio Stoops"

Offline IFleecem

• Puddinhead
  • "Hey Moe, Wher'd You Get The Sunglasses"
Yeah, tell me about it.  The Orioles haven't had a great season in years, Pitching always sucks and they spend money and Still suck.  Hmm, wish Cal Ripken could come back, At least he was good for the team and baseball in general.

Robin
(dissapointed near Baltimore resident)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Chicago White Sox

2007 Payroll: $108.6 million, 5th in MLB

2007 Record: 72-90, 4th Place AL Central

Key Transactions: Acquired CF Nick Swisher from OAK, acquired SS Orlando Cabrera from LAA for SP Jon Garland, signed RP Octavio Dotel

Projected Lineup/age:
C A.J Pierzynski/31
1B Paul Konerko/32
2B Juan Uribe/29
3B Joe Crede/29
SS Orlando Cabrera/33
LF Carlos Quentin/25
CF Nick Swisher/27
RF Jermaine Dye/34
DH Jim Thome/37

Starting Rotation:
Mark Buehrle/29
Javier Vazquez/31
Jose Contreras/36
John Danks/22
Gavin Floyd/25

Relief Pitching:
Octavio Dotel/34
Scott Linebrink/31
Matt Thornton/31
Boone Logan/23
Mike MacDougal/31
Bobby Janks, closer/27

The ChiSox held the dubious distinction last year of being the team with the highest payroll to have a losing record. While they have made improvements by getting Cabrera and Swisher, I don't see how they'll challenge CLE or DET in the AL Central. Their biggest problem is starting pitching. I'm not entirely sold on Buehrle as an ace, although he would make a great 2-3 starter. Vazquez is a classic example of potential unfulfilled while Contreras and his questionable age should be seen as an overall bust in the Cuban defection department. Danks does show promise though, but could probably use more seasoning. The bullpen is lacking with the exception of the closer spot; Jenks is an absolute heat missile firing tank of a closer.

The lineup is a powerful one, with Konerko, Swisher, Dye and Thome. Cabrera is also bound to give opposing pitchers fits. Overall I thought the Southsiders had a pretty good offseason, which should move them up to a possible third place finish and maybe 85 wins.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yeah, tell me about it.  The Orioles haven't had a great season in years, Pitching always sucks and they spend money and Still suck.  Hmm, wish Cal Ripken could come back, At least he was good for the team and baseball in general.

Robin
(dissapointed near Baltimore resident)

It really is a shame what has happened to a once proud franchise in Baltimore, especially with one of, if not THE most beautiful ballpark in the MLB. Too bad everything else surrounding the Camden/Inner Harbor area looks like shit warmed over.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Cincinnati Reds

2007 Payroll: $68.9 million, 20th in MLB

2007 Record: 72-90, 5th Place NL Central

Key Transactions: Signed RP Francisco Cordero, signed SP Josh Fogg

Projected Lineup/age:
C David Ross/31
1B Joey Votto/24
2B Brandon Phillips/26
3B Edwin Encarnacion/25
SS Alex Gonzalez/31
LF Adam Dunn/28
CF Ryan Freel/32
RF Ken Griffey Jr./38

Starting Rotation
Aaron Harang/29
Bronson Arroyo/31
Matt Belisle/27
Josh Fogg/31
Homer Bailey/21

Relief Pitching:
David Weathers/38
Mike Stanton/40
Jeremy Affeldt/28
Jared Burton/26
Gary Majewski/28
Francisco Cordero, closer/32

The oldest franchise in baseball is also one of the most powerful. Phillips is perhaps the best second basemen in MLB; he along with Dunn and soon-to-hit-his-600th-HR Griffey can make any opposing pitcher weak in the knees. Alex Gonzalez had a bit of a bounce back year in '07, improving on his numbers with BOS from the year prior.

The Reds' major problem is pitching. Harang is a great ace, but Arroyo is more of a 4-5 starter than a #2. Cordero is a premier closer, but getting to him with the lead intact should be an adventure. The Reds should improve on last year's record, but are a good starting pitcher or two  away before making any serious waves.