Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Four DVDs from Legend Films, March 27

BeAStooge · 28 · 12846

Linked Events

• 4 New DVDs from Legend Films: March 27, 2007

Offline BeAStooge

I spoke today with a representative from Legend Films, and she provided the following preliminary DVD information...

"Swing Parade of 1946"

- SWING PARADE OF 1946 (1946), restored, colorized and B&W
 - PHONY CRONIES (1944), B&W only, Columbia short starring Tom Kennedy, El Brendel and Dudley Dickerson
 - Shemp Howard and Joe Besser clips from AFRICA SCREAMS (1949)
 - NEW 3 STOOGES (1965) cartoon, "Souperman"
 - Clips of Gale Storm (costar of SWING PARADE) with the East Side Kids from SMART ALECKS (1942)
 - A complete episode from Gale's MY LITTLE MARGIE sitcom (not the episode Joe Besser guest starred in)

"Greatest Routines"

- 35 live-action wraparounds from THE NEW 3 STOOGES (1965), with intros by Mike Nelson and Kevin Murphy
 - Three bonus NEW 3 STOOGES cartoons

"Extreme Rarities"

- Skits from their three 1959 STEVE ALLEN SHOW appearances, colorized and B&W
 - HOLLYWOOD ON PARADE (1934), colorized and B&W
 - SCREEN SNAPSHOTS Series 18 # 9 (1939), the entire 10 min. short about the San Fernando Valley Horse Show; B&W, but the Stooges' scenes alone will have a colorized option
 - HEAVENLY DAZE (1948), colorized and B&W
 - Joe Besser interview footage, with a trailer clip from THREE STOOGES FUN-O-RAMA (1959)
 - Trailers for STOP! LOOK! AND LAUGH (1960), SNOW WHITE & THE THREE STOOGES (1961) and 4 FOR TEXAS (1963)
 - "Simoniz" and "Dickie Work Pants" commercials, and "Arthritis Foundation" psa
 - 8 min. & 30 sec. of scenes from DANNY THOMAS MEETS THE COMICS (1965)
 - The Stooges' clip from STAR SPANGLED SALESMAN (1968)
 - 1973 Larry Fine interview footage from the Motion Picture Country Home
 - Home movie clips
 - 9 minutes from ON THE GO (1960)
 - KNIFE OF THE PARTY (1934)
 - Film clip of Mousie Garner, Sam Wolfe and Dick Hakins as "The Gentlemaniacs"
 - Clip of Moe on the TV pilot STRICTLY FOR LAUGHS (1960)
 - 1937 film clip of Moe, Larry & Curly with 3 Stooges hand puppets
 - Circa 1945 film clip of Moe, Larry & Curly at a celebrity baseball game

"Triple Whammy"
A 3 disc set that will contain "Extreme Rarities" and "Greatest Routines" (see above), plus a 3rd disc not available separately...
"Live and Hilarious"

- CAMEL COMEDY CARAVAN (THE ED WYNN SHOW) (1950), colorized and B&W
 - Eight trailers (1941 - 1965), B&W only
 - Stooges clips from THE FRANK SINATRA SHOW (1952)
 - Film clips of Shemp performing with The Andrews Sisters from PRIVATE BUCKAROO (1942)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 05:31:43 PM by BeAStooge »

Offline Genius In the Lamp

• Unofficial genealogist of pretty blonde daughters of Canadian mining engineers
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
Isn't PHONY CRONIES an El Brendel short (as opposed to being a Hugh Herbert short)?
"I like very much your English punk rock stars, you know, your Lulu, your Dave Clark Five!"  - Jerzy Balowski

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I spoke today with a representative from Legend Films, and she provided the following preliminary DVD information; more detailed information will be available within the next week or two... (et al) restored, colorized and B&W

I own a DVD from Legend Films containing the four "public domain" episodes. They did a wonderful job in remastering the eps to appear clearer, sharper, sound better, etc. I still have trouble watching the colorized eps, though ... I spend all my time wondering why the walls were made pastel blue and why Gale Storm was wearing a purple bathing suit, instead of just enjoying the episodes. All said, I endorse these acts by Legend because the eps are being restored, and we are given the opportunity to view them in B&W.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline BeAStooge

Isn't PHONY CRONIES an El Brendel short (as opposed to being a Hugh Herbert short)?

Yes. Something I should know from having VHS and 16mm copies of it in my library... but, when it came time to put it in writing, I suffered an Alzheimer-moment.

Following up on the original post...

The Videography is updated for these four new DVDs, with Amazon links.

I personally do not approve of colorization, but the price point of these discs, combined with options to view remastered B&W items like the 1939 SCREENS SNAPSHOTS short, additional footage from ON THE GO, DANNY THOMAS MEETS THE COMICS, etc., makes these discs recommended items...

Unlike Sony/Columbia's discs, whose price & short-changed, duplicated content is contrary to common sense.

Legend did a wonderful job with its Laurel & Hardy BABES IN TOYLAND (1934) disc. The B&W version looks better than any prior video release, and it restored Hal Roach Studios' original BABES IN TOYLAND title credits (vs. the long-standing MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS re-release, replacement title/credit segments).

Legend also did a B&W and colorized version of 1960's LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS. Its costar, Jackie Joseph, was a guest at last September's Mayberry Days in Mt. Airy NC; she told me that she was thrilled with Legend's B&W remaster, better than any video copy she ever saw.

My point...
Arguments about colorization set aside...
Legend Films has marketed the best B&W remasters/restorations of popular public domain material to date, at a very reasonable cost.

Offline BeAStooge

Legend Films' press releases for the 4 DVDs...

The Three Stooges
Extreme Rarities

Newly Compiled and Now in Color…See All 6 of the 3 Stooges! Featuring Rare Footage including…

•   Curly’s First Appearance
•   Screen Snapshots- Lost film short with Moe, Larry and Curly
•   Heavenly Daze- Rare film short with Moe, Larry and Shemp
•   Fun-o-Rama Promo with Joe Besser interview
•   3 Never-before-Released Live TV Sketches on Steve Allen
•   Stop! Look! Laugh! Rare Movie Trailer with Moe, Larry and Curly
•   Rare TV Commercials starring The Three Stooges
•   Rare TV Special with The Three Stooges hosted by Danny Thomas -unseen since original broadcast!
•   Bonuses Galore and Much, Much More!

The Ultimate Stooges DVD!

Synopsis:

Three Stooges fans rejoice! These beautifully restored and extremely rare routines are in color for the very first time, and most have never been released on DVD before. Take a privileged look behind the scenes, with rare interviews, specials and three classic appearances on the Steve Allen Show and more. Featuring loads of bonus material, Extreme Rarities is sure to please both casual and hardcore fans alike.

DVD Special Features:

•   Heavenly Daze- Original Black-and-White Version
•   Larry Fine Interview
•   Knife of the Party with Shemp and his Stooges
•   3 Stooges Hand Puppets
•   3 Stooges on Stage with Curly
•   Gentlemaniacs- (Three Stooges Imitators)
•   Celebrity Charity Baseball Game with the 3 Stooges
•   3 Stooges on Stage with  Curly Joe
•   3 Stooges Arthritis Commercial
•   Strictly for Laughs Talk Show with Moe
•   Four for Texas Trailer with the Stooges, Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra
•   On the Go- Rare TV Interview with the Stooges

The Three Stooges In
 Swing Parade

•   First Time in Color, also Includes Restored Original Black-and-White Version
•   Moe, Larry and Curly… in an Uncut Feature Film Rarely Seen in Over 50 Years! Side-Splitting Gags and Classic Routines!
•   Contains Hilarious RiffTrax® by Mike Nelson of RiffTrax.com
•   Bonus Extras! Including Rare Shorts & More!

Synopsis:

The Three Stooges at their bumbling, eye-poking, hair-pulling best! This time around “The Boys” must protect talented nightclub owner Danny Warren (Phil Regan) from the schemes of his powerful and overprotective father -- who will go to any lengths to shut him down. But things get complicated when the senior Warren enlists the help of beautiful chorus girl Carol Lawrence (Gale Storm of “My Little Margie”). Can Moe, Larry and Curly run the club, manage Danny’s budding love life, and avoid the wrath of Moose, their cantankerous boss?

A warm, hilarious, musical romp, Swing Parade has been beautifully restored and is in vibrant color for the very first time.

DVD Special Features:

•   Newly Restored and In Color Version
•   Original Black-and-White Version
•   RiffTrax® Audio Commentary by Mike Nelson of Mystery Science Theater and  RiffTrax.com
•   Phoney Cronies- A Stooge-like film short featuring an African American version of Curly
•   Africa Screams clip featuring  Shemp and Joe Besser with Lou Costello
•   Souper Man- A Rare Stooges Cartoon with live action
•   Smart Alecks- featuring Gale Storm with the East Side Kids
•   Episode of My Little Margie with Gale Storm
•   Swing Parade Trailer
•   Legend Films Trailers

The Three Stooges
Greatest Routines

•   Digitally Enhanced and In Color!
•   Classic Skits!
•   Pies in the Face!
•   Pratfalls and Mayhem! It’s All Here…
•   Hosted by Mike Nelson and Kevin Murphy of Mystery Science Theater and RiffTrax®
•   Their Funniest Live Action Scenes Ever…Back-to-Back!

Synopsis:

Join Moe, Larry, and Curly Joe for 35 hilarious misadventures! You’ll laugh till it hurts as the boys do their best to run an ice cream stand, go on a seemingly simple fishing excursion, or do the old spit and polish on a dilapidated house – all with disastrous, but side-splitting, results!

Hosted by Mike Nelson and Kevin Murphy of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and RiffTrax®

DVD Special Features:

•   3 Bonus Three Stooges Cartoons
•   Legend Films Trailers

The Three Stooges
Live and Hilarious

•   First Time in Color!
•   Moe, Larry & Shemp on Live TV in a Half-Hour of Hilarity On the Ed Wynn Show
•   Trailermania featuring All the Stooges In a Comedy Compilation 1941-1965
•   Bonus: The Stooges Meet Frank Sinatra & More!

Synopsis:

The Three Stooges are at it again in this zany collection of live appearances and rare trailers, including a hilarious and unique hard-to-find turn on the Ed Wynn Show and even one with the Chairman of the Board himself on the Frank Sinatra Show!  Also includes a parade of eight original Stooges movie trailers not available anywhere! This zany Stooge content is being released for the first time on DVD!

Special Features:

•   Private Buckeroo highlights featuring Shemp with the Andrew Sisters
•   Frank Sinatra Show Stooges Segments
•   Snow White and The Three Stooges Special TV Promo
•   Trailers and More!

Offline Bangsmith

• Citizen of Greater Stoogedom
  • Chucklehead
These look basically like reissues of the Goodtimes material, but in better condition. I may pick these up, even though I already have all eight Goodtimes discs. Hopefully "Swing Parade" is in much better condition than the two versions I have now!!
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do "suck seed"!!

Offline scgenres

Amazon.com also has the 2000 movie being released for a $4.98 price. Does anyone know if this is a legit release, or a bootleg?

Offline BeAStooge

Amazon.com also has the 2000 movie being released for a $4.98 price. Does anyone know if this is a legit release, or a bootleg?

It's neither. Amazon mislisted this latest entry in an endless series of cheapo DVDs with the 4 Columbia public domain shorts.

Offline Larry Larry

The 4 Legend DVDs are now on sale.

Has anyone picked them up or have any thoughts?  (Or know of any online reviews?)
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline Bangsmith

• Chucklehead
The 4 Legend DVDs are now on sale.

Has anyone picked them up or have any thoughts?  (Or know of any online reviews?)
When I posted that they look like a reissue of Goodtimes material, I was more exact than I realized!!! I've only watched "Extreme Rarities", and the footage is the same, except for some additional stuff that just wasn't used on the GT discs. They even took the Goodtimes disc "T.S. Story", broke it up, and added pieces of it as extras and supplemental footage, with the original narration intact! The material is much better than Goodtimes, however. I assume the other discs are the same way---I'll watch those tonight. One drawback; "Hollywood On Parade" is colorized, but it only has the Stooges' very brief scene! I definitely recommend these, based on what I saw with "Extreme Rarities".

Offline 2reelers

I am guessing the similarities have something to do with Sandy Oliveri's involvement with both the Goodtimes discs and these new discs from Legend. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think he was one of the producers of that Goodtimes "Three Stooges Story" (which I thought was well done).

Offline Bangsmith

• Chucklehead
I am guessing the similarities have something to do with Sandy Oliveri's involvement with both the Goodtimes discs and these new discs from Legend. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think he was one of the producers of that Goodtimes "Three Stooges Story" (which I thought was well done).
You are right. Actually, I think he oversaw all of the Goodtimes DVDs. Those DVDs were the best budget DVDs on the market. I have all eight of them, but, except for the Ed Sullivan appearance on "Funniest Moments 2", I no longer need them!

Offline Larry Larry

When I posted that they look like a reissue of Goodtimes material, I was more exact than I realized!!! I've only watched "Extreme Rarities", and the footage is the same, except for some additional stuff that just wasn't used on the GT discs. They even took the Goodtimes disc "T.S. Story", broke it up, and added pieces of it as extras and supplemental footage, with the original narration intact! The material is much better than Goodtimes, however. I assume the other discs are the same way---I'll watch those tonight. One drawback; "Hollywood On Parade" is colorized, but it only has the Stooges' very brief scene! I definitely recommend these, based on what I saw with "Extreme Rarities".

Thanks Bangsmith.  On your recomendation, I'll pick up the 4 Legend DVDs.  I don't have the Goodtimes releases, but if you find more material other than the Ed Sullivan appearance, let us know and I'll hunt down the Goodtimes discs.  Otherwise, it sounds like the Legend set is an improvement and the way to go.

Offline Bangsmith

• Chucklehead
Thanks Bangsmith.  On your recomendation, I'll pick up the 4 Legend DVDs.  I don't have the Goodtimes releases, but if you find more material other than the Ed Sullivan appearance, let us know and I'll hunt down the Goodtimes discs.  Otherwise, it sounds like the Legend set is an improvement and the way to go.
I believe that the Ed Sullivan appearance is the only substantial piece not on the Legend DVDs. There are a few small clips of some MGM material (Hollywood Party, Dancing Lady, etc.) spread across the Goodtimes DVDs, but nothing to hunt those down over. I watched the "Live And Hilarious" disc last night, and the Ed Wynn show is a BIG improvement over the other versions I've seen!

Curley91

Offline Larry Larry

WOW!

I'm very impressed by this set so far.  I've watched "Extreme Rarities", and what a pleasant surprise.  I've never seen any of this material.

I never thought I'd laugh at some of the Curly-Joe material, but the Steve Allen skits and the Danny Thomas stuff were very good.  I think the Stooges were very good live. 

And Legend's "clean-up" job on these films is very impressive. 

It's 2007 & DVDs are 10 years old.  Any yet we still don't have box sets of the classic 190 shorts.  Sony should be ashamed of themselves for their crappy product.  >:(

Way to go Legend!  Pick this one up!!!   8)

Curley91

It's interesting to note that on the video release of "A Pain In The Pullman," Sony says they are making an effort to release all 190 shorts.  It's 11 years later, and we still don't have them all. 

What ever became of that effort?   ???

ThumpTheShoes

That "effort" evolved into, "Let's release the same 30 films 190 times"!

Which brings up some interesting questions, since Sony has decided to take this colourisation route-- What will they do about A Pain In The Pullman? Will they try to colourise the "wobbly" version that suffers from shrinkage? Will they use some other, lesser source previously mastered on videotape and try to tell us it was the best available?

Finally, doesn't Sony actually own a safety negative/interpositive of this short in pristine condition, without the damage? Seems like I mighta heard that somewhere...

Uh, I think I helped hijack this thread. Sorry! To stay somewhat on topic I'd just like to add that I have enjoyed all 4 of the new Legend discs with just one small gripe: If Legend truly is the leader in restoration and colourisation, then maybe they could have done something about the excessive gate-weaving in the telecine of Heavenly Daze! And, and, AND... maybe have some consistant colour happening (watch the blue on Shemp's heavenly robe, for instance!).

Still, alot of care was put into this package, and there's a ton of content, considering the low price point.

-ThumpTheShoes

Offline JazzBill

There was a short in the "Swing Parade" dvd I enjoyed. It was a short from Official Films called "Phoney Cronies". It has some of the people from the Stooges shorts in it, like Monty Collins and Tom Kennedy. But what I really enjoyed, was seeing Dudley Dickerson with a real speaking roll with some real lines, where he wasn't a porter or a cook.
Another thing I liked was the price of this 4 dvd set. I paid $6.00 for "Swing Parade" & $14.00 for the "Triple Whammy" set at Meijer's. You get a lot of bang for your buck on this one.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline BeAStooge

It was a short from Official Films called "Phoney Cronies".

PHONEY CRONIES (1942) is a Columbia short. Official Films was a distributor of 16mm films for home rental/TV syndication, that handled some of Columbia's product in the early-mid 1950s. Official always replaced the opening credits with their own logo. Collector 16mm prints of Columbia's Charley Chase, El Brendel, Hugh Herbert, Glove-Slingers, etc., series are often old Official Films prints.

By the end of the 1950s, Columbia self-distributed for TV with its "Screen Gems" division.

Offline JazzBill

Thanks "BeAStooge". I noticed something I believe to be a mistake on the back of the DVD box for "Extreme Rarities". They listed "Heavenly Days" as being B&W, it is actually in color.

Offline 2reelers

There was a short in the "Swing Parade" dvd I enjoyed. It was a short from Official Films called "Phoney Cronies". It has some of the people from the Stooges shorts in it, like Monty Collins and Tom Kennedy. But what I really enjoyed, was seeing Dudley Dickerson with a real speaking roll with some real lines, where he wasn't a porter or a cook.

The non-Stooge shorts are definitely worth a look at. The bad outweigh the good on many occasions, but they provide a wonderful look at some of your favorite Stooge co-stars doing basically the same things they do with the Stooges. It can be a somewhat surreal experience for first time viewers of one of these other Columbia shorts. It's nice that Legend included this sampling, which comes off as very Stooge-like.

IMO, Dudley was a very gifted comic. He has a lot of screen time in a handful of Andy Clyde and Hugh Herbert's Columbia two-reelers (mainly the "scare" comedies).  I believe Dudley should have shared an over- the-title billing with Hugh in some of these efforst, especially in the short ONE SHIVERY NIGHT (1950).

Greg
www.theshortsdepartment.bravehost.com

PS I've never seen a 16mm print of PHONEY CRONIES with the the original Columbia titles, and I've owned about 6 over the years.

Offline BeAStooge

They listed "Heavenly Days" as being B&W, it is actually in color.

HEAVENLY DAZE, in B&W, is on the bonus features menu.

Offline JazzBill

HEAVENLY DAZE, in B&W, is on the bonus features menu.
Yeah, I seen that after I posted. I was hoping no one would notice it. Fat chance of that happening with you around.  :-[