Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Obama or Hilary?

Poll

Do you think Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton stand a chance of becoming President?

Yes, we've come so far as a nation that sex and race don't matter
3 (27.3%)
No, certain parts of this country will not vote for women or minorities
2 (18.2%)
No, neither are qualified
3 (27.3%)
Yes, but if either were to win they'd be assassinated
1 (9.1%)
I'm waiting for the day a third party candidate wins
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
There has been alot of talk lately about both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama being possible Democrat candidates for President in 2008. Seeing as though we have never had a black or woman Presidential candidate from the two major parties get past the primaries, if either one won the nomination do you think they would stand a chance against a WASP male republican?

The only non-WASP President we had was Kennedy (Catholic), and we all know what happened to him, hence the assassination option.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I voted "Yes, but they'd be assassinated" - and I'll qualify the vote ...
I feel that a woman president will be more tolerated than a "Barack Obama" president just because of all the hubbub Georgy Bush has inflicted upon the people with middle-eastern sounding names. If Hilary risks assassination, I don't feel it will be just 'cause she's a woman. (although many bible-thumpers would claim that women should never usurp the male authority due to Eve being the first to be deceived in The Garden of Eden - [even though she brought the "apple" to Adam and said "Here, bite this" and he did it without even thinking]). Based upon my latter parenthesized musings I'd say she may run a risk of bodily harm if elected, but to a lesser degree than Barack.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Jayne1955

Hope you don't mind a newbie starting this up again. As someone who used to live in Illinois, I'm familiar with them both. (I used to date a guy who'd had a huge crush on Hillary at Maine South High School, and I heard more about her over the years than I ever wanted to.) I think they both have a chance at getting the nomination, but I'd give the edge to Obama. Anyone who'd be racist enough to want to assassinate him would also be racist enough to feel he's gotten as far as he has because his mother raised him and she was white. Sad, but probably true.

Hillary has more political experience, but in my opinion, it really depends on if you surround yourself with experienced people. How much experience in government do people like Cheney and Rumsfield have, and look how people feel about them. I just think Hillary brings out too many strong negative emotions in too many people to win.

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Jayne1955,

First off, welcome. We are frequently discussing nonsense. Like politics. How much can be asked and answered about the 3 Stooges, after all?

I think you are spot on in your assessment of HRC. Except I think Hillary has the edge. She is leaking those missing FBI files and quietly dissing potential opponents.

James

PS. If Hillary becomes the President, will she return the things they stole from the White House?
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline Jayne1955

The thing is, with Hillary, people who hate her REALLY hate her, and for very specific reasons. What she did as first lady, what she did or failed to do in Congress, her personality, or her husband usually. And they will not change their minds at this point. Their hate is too ingrained.

I think it's harder to be that specific hating Barack. Most of the people who say they hate his inexperience are kind of hypocritical, considering how many experienced politicians those same people also hate, like Cheney and Rumsfield, and Ted Kennedy, just for a few examples. Racists can hate him, but he's not a reparation demanding descendant of slaves, who talks like a gangsta rapper. And, like I said before, it's really easy for the milder racists (if there is such a thing!) to find pictures of him and his mother, and credit his rise to the fact that he is directly half-white. (I've talked to blacks at work who say he is not black enough, because he does not understand the slave experience,and speaks out against rap music. I get exasperated, and usually suggest gently that this is the best they are going to do at this time.) Nothing, at any rate, that people hate him for has had time to become that ingrained.

He's the Tiger Woods of politics, as I see it He's a little bit of everything, and not enough of anything for most people to latch onto when it comes to honest dislike. He's well spoken, well-educated, with a beautiful wife, and clean, well-dressed small kids that wear cute dresses and ankle socks. And young people graviate to him, in a way I have not seen since Bobby Kennedy.

Shrugs.

Offline uncivilwarrior

Obama-all the way-Republicans have mess up everything with
the War-Obama have a fighting chance.

But for me 1-Cliton was good enough-Obama-Woooh,Wooooh,Woooooh.....

Offline kinderscenen

Man, it's too bad they can't make a white guy out of the good points of Hilary and Obama, because that guy would have a chance. 

I hear people all the time talking about how they think that either could win, and I wonder what are they taking, and where can I get some?  ;D I will never believe that there would be a Democratic president that isn't a WASP.  Now, if it were a Republican, perhaps there'd be a better chance, since you'd get the female/Black vote (at least a bit of it); you'd have a conservative (which could shut up all those 'pesky' minorities 'whining' about how white/male the Republican party is); and you could shut up the racists/sexists/classists because women and minorities couldn't complain about how they're still being paid unequally for the same work with similar credentials, etc., because you have an African American or woman president.

(I suppose I should be correct and say African American, since that is what Obama really is.)
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!