Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

New Columbia DVD, Oct. 3

Linked Events

• New Columbia DVD (colorized): October 03, 2006

Offline BeAStooge

Sony Home Entertainment has announced a new Three Stooges DVD for October 3, 2006, "The Three Stooges: Stooges on the Run."

DIZZY DOCTORS (1937)
CALLING ALL CURS (1939)
DISORDER IN THE COURT (1936)
POP GOES THE EASEL (1935)

B&W and Colorized; all four shorts are already on DVD.
Link to package art...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000H5TH1G/

Offline AKStoogeFan

Hopefully they don't try and use this release as a 'gauge' for interest in those chronological sets they talked about.

Offline dgx222

This is very upsetting and disappointing.

I think we should appoint a dictator to go in and kick out the people who are in charge of the Stooges DVDs at Columbia.

How long has it been? A year since the last Stooges DVD came out? Didn't they once have 4 or 5 a year? And these are probably colorzied like the last set. I did buy those, only because there were new shorts on them. But I refuse to watch the color ones, or the special features that tell how and why they colorzed them. I don't even like the menus because they are in color.

I'm only 24, and I'm an old school Stooge. I don't see the purpose of colorizing. Is it just to attrack today's kids into the Stooges so Columbia can earn more money? If kids aren't going to like the Stooges in black & white, I doubt they will like them in color. Who sits there and watches a short, wondering what color the walls are? Who cares, grab a pie and throw it at somebody! Hah.

I know this is a venting post, but it is just very disappointing to me. I have enough knowledge and experience, and if given the proper equipment, I could create Stooges DVDs that people would be proud of.

First off, they need to be in chronological order.

Second, there needs to be a ratio set for the number of Curlys, Shemps, and Joes. And they need to have their own sets within a set. So lets say there needs to be 12 Curly shorts to 6 Shemps. Six shorts per DVD (seven if possible), no crazy space & time wasting menus; just a click and go system, and no colored shorts.

The first DVD would be "The Three Stooges:  Curly Vol. 1" which has the first 6 shorts, followed by "The Three Stooges:  Curly Vol. 2" (with the next six Curly shorts), followed by "The Three Stooges:  Shemp Vol. 1" (Shemp's first 6 shorts)....etc. And whenever the Joe ratio comes into play, there would be a "The Three Stooges:  Joe Vol. 1"

No cut scenes (like in Three Little Beers), and no flash frames (like in Bridelss Groom).

I don't have too big of a problem with the DVD insert art, but I would proabably make the Curlys, Shemps, and Joes different from each other with different shades of grey.

I would also make the subtitles more accurate.

I would go in a do a complete overhaul of the Stooges releases if given the opportunity. Also, I would try to make some sort of a system that people could get a discount if they sent their old Stooges DVDs back. That probably wouldn't be the case with Columbia because they would lose some money, but to me it's about the Stooges and the fans.

I hate to become one of the people who says "You're not going to get my money for this set Columbia!" but I guess I have.

xraffle

If Sony wants to re-release a short, then the first short that they should re-release is "Three Little Beers" since they screwed up the first release by editing the funniest part of the short. Why Sony didn't even bother to recall that dvd is beyond me.

And I don't understand. It's been over a year since the last stooge dvd was released, then finally a new dvd is coming out and it ends up being 4 shorts that were already released. It seems that Sony is just getting worse.

Pilsner Panther

If Sony wants to re-release a short, then the first short that they should re-release is "Three Little Beers" since they screwed up the first release by editing the funniest part of the short. Why Sony didn't even bother to recall that dvd is beyond me.

Amen to that! I'm so glad that I held on to the VHS tape, so I can watch "Three Little Beers" the way it was meant to be seen.

The quality of the Buster Keaton DVD package is a sign that maybe Sony is taking the Columbia shorts more seriously; the packaging is above-average (a nice slipcase instead of that cruddy plastic they've used for the Stooges DVD's), and the video transfers are sharp and clean. Also (thank the classic film gods), there's no colorization.

I don't know how it's selling, but if it's doing well, maybe Sony will be moved to do better by the Stooges in the future. One can only hope...

Curley91

This really sucks!  >:(

What got me upset was that all these shorts are already on DVD.  When the box sets do come out, I hope we see a better effort being put forth. I hope all the shorts are uncut.
Speaking of them, has anybody heard any further news as to when the actual release date is or how long it will be inbetween releases?

Offline falsealarms

Pilsner Panther

Worse yet, Sony's site says those shorts star Moe, Larry and Joe DeRita.

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/catalog/catalogDetail_DVD043396162457.html

(as of this posting)

Sometimes, you just want to give up being accurate about anything in the face of such total idiocy. I mean, think about it— someone got paid to write that blurb, they're on Sony's payroll, and they're probably getting (I won't say earning) a pretty nice paycheck.

At least, thanks to the internet, people who are new to the Three Stooges and to the whole world of slapstick comedy can always come here for the correct historical information about their favorite films and stars.

We do try hard, but look what we're up against!

[faint2]

Offline Double Crosser

Hi guys, I wanted to chime in.  To me, these colorized releases are bittersweet.  I am both pissed off and happy about the DVDs, so let me explain. 

I agree that the way Sony/Columbia have been releasing the DVDs over the years is akin to a chisler mentality.  They should have started at the beginning and went chronologically.  They should have given us much more per disc.  They could have done box sets.  And, as mentioned, the edited Three Little Beers is nothing less than a crime.  Then came the two colorized DVDs, which I initially refused to buy for multiple reasons. 

1 - I had most of the shorts already on DVD.
2 - Colorizing anything black and white never works.
3 - The prices were far more than the normal DVDs.

However, some time passed, and I decided to buy them while at a Costco (I think the price was pretty good).  When I watched them in color, I was stunned.  Simply floored.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  It was like watching them for the first time again.  I really tried to play devil's advocate and flip back to the black and white versions, but I couldn't deny the color versions.  I showed them to my dad (born in 1935 and a classic B&W nut).  He had the same reaction, he loved them.  I showed them to more family and friends.  It was unanimous.  Everyone loved the Stooges in color.  This was not the crap Ted Turner colorization of the late 1980's.  This was bringing the film to life.  Not only the film, but the ERA.  I always thought that despite being filmed during the Great Depression era (1934-1941), I always thought the Stooges dressed semi-decent.  It was only in color that their true ratty suits were brought to my attention.  I also watched the black and white versions and the prints were the best I've ever seen.  The fact that they offered you both the top quality B&W print and a colorized version was something I would never have thought possible. 

So my verdict is this.  The colorization is going to be huge, and not just with the NEW fans.  My dad is 71 and he loves them in color.  I'm 34 and I love them in color too.  I've been taping Stooges stuff off TV since the 70's and I am a die-hard fan and collector, so it's not like I'm a newbie.  I'm not saying Sony should ONLY issue them in color.  They must keep the black and white versions as well.  Since they do offer the original version (in best prints yet) in black and white, everyone gets to watch what they want, and if you refuse to watch the color version, don't.  Let's face it, Sony could easily only offer color - I know many of you would go insane over that. 

I just wish they'd do a proper release that is not going to be 4 shorts per title.  That's a joke.  But I'm not going to pass up on buying any of the official releases.  That said, I am excited for this new set.  Four "new" shorts in color is fine by me. 

One other thing.  I read on here a while back that someone said the public domain shorts were not going to be included with the new colorized versions.  I see Disorder in the Court is on here, so I guess not.

xraffle

I really tried to play devil's advocate and flip back to the black and white versions, but I couldn't deny the color versions. 

I was the opposite. I tried to watch the color versions, but I couldn't deny the black and white versions. When I first heard about these colorized dvds, I was excited because I thought colorizing them would make them look better. So, when I first bought the colorized dvds, I was amazed at how well the colorizing was. However, while watching the color versions, it felt like something was missing. What was missing is the black and white. Watching the stooges in b&w isn't the same as watching them in color. It's a completely different experience. I've been watching and enjoying the stooges for years in black and white, so watching them in color just doesn't feel the same. So, buying these colorized dvds has actually turned me into a purist. But, this probably is just me. I'm sure many others like these new colorized versions, but me, I prefer the black and white versions and always will.

Since they do offer the original version (in best prints yet) in black and white, everyone gets to watch what they want, and if you refuse to watch the color version, don't.  Let's face it, Sony could easily only offer color - I know many of you would go insane over that. 

The reason why people go insane over the colorized dvds even though the black and white versions are included as well is because of the price. Sony used to offer 6 shorts on DVD for a retail price of $24.99. Now, the retail price is the same, but the number of shorts is reduced to only 4. If Sony would put 6 shorts both in color and b&w for the same retail price, then people wouldn't complain as much. If Sony would release them chronologically in sets for a reasonable price, then people wouldn't complain at all. What also annoys people is the fact that these 4 shorts on this upcoming release were already released on dvd. I understand if Sony wants to re-release a short because their original release had a poor quality, but these four shorts were already on dvd in excellent quality.

Pilsner Panther

I'm with xraffle (and others) on this one. The original black and white has a "period" feel that's totally destroyed by colorization, no matter how well it's done.

I notice that Sony didn't colorize its recent DVD set of Columbia Buster Keaton shorts, and I'm sure I know why— Keaton fans are real purists, and the Damfinos (the major Keaton fan club) and a lot of other people, including me, would have raised hell! Sony would have been absolutely deluged with negative letters and e-mails if they'd done that, not to mention being stuck with a product that hardly anyone would buy.

The difference here is that Buster is a member of the Holy Trinity of Silent Comedy, along with Charlie Chaplin and Harold Lloyd. He's a true film icon, and even his lesser works like the Columbia shorts are held sacred. Some of his fans, though, are such purists (or snobs), they even look down their noses at the Columbia shorts; I'm thinking here of Keaton biographer Tom Dardis and filmographer Jim Kline, neither of whom have anything good to say about Buster's Columbia period. Mr. Kline even likes some of Buster's Educational Pictures shorts better, and those are absolute bottom-of-the-barrel Keaton, shot during his alcoholic years and on budgets that make the average Columbia short look like "Gone With The Wind." By the time Buster went to Columbia, he'd overcome his drinking problem or at least fought it to a draw, and he was back in good form, doing his brutally hilarious pratfalls with all of his old elan.

In any case, after all these years the Stooges still aren't treated with nearly the same kind of respect; which I think is dead wrong, but that's how it is. One reason, perhaps, is that they never made a feature film during their peak years with Curly and Shemp, so they're thought of by some as "second-tier" comics. Another might be that if you're a Baby Boomer or a Gen-X'er, you probably had at least one parent who sneered at the Stooges and maybe even wouldn't let you watch them due to the "violence."

So, we get the colorization, the cheap packaging, the missing scenes, etc., and I'm not buying into any of that. I've seen one colorized short, "An Ache In Every Stake," and to my trained eye (trained in graphic design, that is), the color still looks artificial. Bleahhh...!

[thumbsdown]

Offline JazzBill

I have never went out and paid for colorized versions of Stooge shorts. But my family knows what a Stooge fan I am, and have bought me some colorized DVDs for my birthday or Christmas. At first I was dead set against them, but I did watch them to see how they looked. There are good quality and bad quality DVDs. I have one called Stooge And Confoosed, put out by Columbia, the quality is really not all that bad. I have another one put out by Legend Films, and the quality is crap. Every now and then I watch a color version just to make it look different. Sometimes I feel guilty after watching one, like I did something illegal. My feeling towards them now is, as long as you have a choice of watching them in color or black and white, it's alright.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Pilsner Panther

I have never went out and paid for colorized versions of Stooge shorts. But my family knows what a Stooge fan I am, and have bought me some colorized DVDs for my birthday or Christmas. At first I was dead set against them, but I did watch them to see how they looked. There are good quality and bad quality DVDs. I have one called Stooge And Confoosed, put out by Columbia, the quality is really not all that bad. I have another one put out by Legend Films, and the quality is crap. Every now and then I watch a color version just to make it look different. Sometimes I feel guilty after watching one, like I did something illegal. My feeling towards them now is, as long as you have a choice of watching them in color or black and white, it's alright.

You're not doing anything illegal... just sinful! What would Uncle Mortimer say?

>:D

Only kidding— I think.

Curley91

In my opinion, the color on "Goofs On The Loose" and "Stooged And Confoosed" didn't look too bad. 
However, I thought the 4 PD shorts looked pretty bad.  The color just seemed so unfitting.   I didn't care for the colorized "Hoi Polloi" either.  The color seemed way too overdone, and it just didn't look natural. 

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The colorization is nicely done, but I don't care about colorization. I would much rather they put more shorts on a disk, and in chronological order, than have 4 colorized shorts for $25 a disk.

I'll pass.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

This is what Sony should do. They should release a set called "The Complete Curly Collection" which should have all the Curly shorts on 9-10 discs. Then, after that, they should release "The Complete Shemp & Joe Collection" on 8-10 discs. If each set were around $70-80, I would say that's a fair price, much better than what they are charging now. If only Sony would release the stooges this way, then the DVDs would definitely be a success.

Offline Double Crosser

I agree with you guys on most of your points, but the bottom line is, I'm buying the Sony releases.  If they are expensive, so be it.  I'll just shop around for the best deals (one of which is NOT the official Stooges site). 

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Buying these releases only encourages them to continue with the poor treatment. It's your money though.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline locoboymakesgood

Through many painstaking years and many empty wallets later, I've shelled out money for ALL of the Sony released Stooges discs.. I have this massive collection of only a handful of shorts.. since they're not re-releasing Three Little Beers on this disc I'm going to pass since I already have the other ones. Cool or no, colorization isn't worth $25.

HOWEVER.. on the Home Theater Forum, a rep from Columbia CONFIRMED that the chronological sets will be released next Summer or Fall.. this is just to "tide the fans over".

Sigh.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Pilsner Panther

Anyone who wants me to watch a colorized Stooges short (or a colorized anything else), will have to pay me $25.00!

[stone]

Offline 3Stooges

I'm just gonna Netflix this to check out the coloring. I can't see shelling out dough for this retread of shorts that are already on dvd.

Curley91

I am curious to see what this DVD will be like.

I've been thinking about it, and have decided not to waste my money on shorts I already have seen in black and white.  At the same time, it would be interesting to see these shorts presented in a new way. 

I'll probably just rent it.  :-\

Curley91

I ran into the disk at Sam's Club.  Just by looking at the package, I could tell that it was definetly not worth 25 smackers. 

Has anyone bought/rented it yet?