Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

3 Stooges' STEVE ALLEN SHOW screening at The Library of Congress

Linked Events

• 3 Stooges STEVE ALLEN SHOW: August 22, 2006

Offline BeAStooge

http://www.loc.gov/rr/mopic/pickford/pickford-current.html

August 22, The Library of Congress' Mary Pickford Theater will screen THE STEVE ALLEN SHOW (April 5, 1959 NBC), with guests The Three Stooges and Lenny Bruce. One of three appearances that Moe, Larry & Curly-Joe made on Allen's show in early 1959, they performed 'The Maharaja' skit that night.

Part of LoC's summer-long "Bob Hope and the American Comedy Tradition" series, the August 22 event is sub-titled "Variety TV Shows: The Innovators"...

7PM - 8PM THE ERNIE KOVACS SHOW (4/13/56)
8PM - 9PM THE STEVE ALLEN SHOW (4/5/59)

Seating is limited to 60, and reservations are required (202) 707-5677.

The Mary Pickford Theater
The Library of Congress - James Madison Building
3rd Floor
101 Independence Ave. SE
Washington DC

Pilsner Panther

Wow, now there's an odd pairing on the same bill: the Stooges and Lenny Bruce! Definitely two different eras of American comedy, and that's putting it mildly. Lenny had at least a few routines that were suitable for family audiences; I'm sure he didn't do "Thank You Masked Man" or the one about the strung-out junkie musician auditioning for Lawrence Welk:

Junkie: (slurred voice) "I got a monkey on my back, man..."

Welk: "Vunderful, vunderful! Ve love having animals on the show!"

Too bad I'm nowhere near D.C., I'd love to see this.

3refugees

I heard that the Steve Allen show with the Stooges was out in DVD.  Does anyone know if that is the case?  I heard that the Stooge's performance was outstanding.  If anyone knows, I would love to see this even though they did the same performance in "Around the World in a Daze"

3refugees=Danl57

Posting under multiple accounts (or Mults) will not be tolerated whatsoever as per rule 5 of the Posting Guidelines.

Offline BeAStooge

I heard that the Steve Allen show with the Stooges was out in DVD.  Does anyone know if that is the case?

The Stooges appeared on THE STEVE ALLEN SHOW three times in early 1959. The complete shows are not on video, but three of the Stooges' skits from those appearances are.

The three skits can be found on two GoodTimes (*) home videos, "Kings of Laughter" and "Lost Comedy Treasures." This website's Videography page provides all the details, along with Amazon purchase links, http://threestooges.net/videography.php .

* GoodTimes went bankrupt in 2005, and acquired by exercise home video producer Gaiam Americas. Gaiam is currently liquidating GT's existing inventories, and in a few weeks is releasing yet another repackaging of GT's Stooge DVDs as part of the stock liquidation. GoodTimes' Stooges DVD titles should remain readily available for another year or so, and then will probably disappear from the retail market.

Contrary to GT's long-standing bargain-basement reputation, several of their DVDs contain rare Stooges footage that cannot be obtained elsewhere, e.g., clips from DANNY THOMAS MEETS THE COMICS (1965), Arthritis Foundation psa (1961), SCREEN SNAPSHOTS Series 18 # 9 (1939), ON THE GO television interview (1960), Dickie Work Pants commercial (1969), "The Operation" skit from THE ED SULLIVAN SHOW (1963), the aforementioned ALLEN skits, more.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I apologize for "taking this thread hostage", Brent; but as everyone can see from the ban message "3refugees" is a Mult of "Danl57".

Posting under multiple accounts is a major no-no here, due to past events, and an automatic ban of all accounts. Not only that, but using a Mult is nothing short of deception as this fellow tried to do by refraining from posting in his usual "writing a letter" style.

I go to ban both accounts, and I find Danl57 already banned! Out of curiosity, Rob and Pils, which one of you guys banned his account previously? It wasn't me for once!
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline JazzBill

I have that GoodTimes DVD with the Steve Allen bits in it, and it is really good. If anyone thinks Joe DeRita couldn't be funny, they need to see this. There's a bit with Larry playing a big movie star, Moe is the director, (sick with the flu in real life) and DeRita is Larry's stand in. He is hilarious in it. (In my opinion)
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Pilsner Panther

I go to ban both accounts, and I find Danl57 already banned! Out of curiosity, Rob and Pils, which one of you guys banned his account previously? It wasn't me for once!

It must have been Rob, although I would have banned him if I'd caught it first. I'm all for freedom of religion, but hypocritical Bible-thumping types like this geek are a special sore point with me, just on general principles.

[duck]

Offline BeAStooge

There's a bit with Larry playing a big movie star, Moe is the director, (sick with the flu in real life) and DeRita is Larry's stand in.

The Stooges first performed "The Stand In" sketch in 1939, on Broadway in The George White Scandals.

Moe, Larry & Curly added the routine to their live shows when they toured the British Isles later that year, and when they returned to doing live appearances in the States during their off-time from Columbia. At one point in the '40s, producer George White sued them for copyright infringement, but an agreement was reached, and "The Stand-In" remained a regular Stooge bit thru the DeRita years.

Attached is a cover pic of the 1939 playbill for The George White Scandals. Moe, Larry & Curly are shown performing "The Stand In."

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Bangsmith

• Citizen of Greater Stoogedom
  • Chucklehead
I have all the Goodtimes DVD's. If you're going to go budget, they are the way to go. I have never seen the Steve Allen material anywhere else, plus the picture quality is better than any other budget Stooges DVD's I've seen. "Simply Hilarious", the one with the four PD episodes, looks almost as good as the Sony DVD's! Only the sound is slightly subpar. "The TS Festival" (Also Goodtimes) also has some rare footage, along with some material already on "Kings..." and "Lost Comedy...". It has more Stooges footage from the Ed Wynn appearance than "Lost Comedy Treasures". By the way, If Dan was smart enough to hide his "3refugees" E-mail, or not use the same one that he uses on threestooges.com, he could have gotten away with it!!
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do "suck seed"!!

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
All of that Mult crap actually side-tracked me from what I was originally going to post!

I can't believe GoodTimes actually went bankrupt. I thought they made a killing releasing all of the PD material. This leads me to a couple of questions I have:

1. Do you happen to know exactly why GoodTimes went under?

2. Do you know how GoodTimes was able to release The Three Stooges Collection, that 5 volume VHS set of Shemp shorts? I know those shorts aren't in the PD.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline BeAStooge

2. Do you know how GoodTimes was able to release The Three Stooges Collection, that 5 volume VHS set of Shemp shorts? I know those shorts aren't in the PD.

Although they had a reputation as a pd distributor, GoodTimes' often licensed material for their videos. Those five volumes of 15 shorts, along with AROUND THE WORLD IN A DAZE and STOP LOOK & LAUGH were licensed from Columbia. Although, GT paid for the use of 16mm Screen Gems prints (used), not 35mm library prints.