Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ask Team Stooge **NEWBIES**

shemps#1 · 1290 · 336934

Offline locoboymakesgood

Has anyone ever heard the theme song with different lyrics; It started with "all the birds in the treetops".  I looked on youtube and have searched the web for months and haven't found anything.  We are hoping that a die hard stooge fan has any info on the song?
Well the Stooges didn't have lyrics. I mean yeah it was a jazzed up take on Three Blind Mice, but that's it. Are you asking if anyone knows a similar version of Three Blind Mice with "All the birds in the treetops" in the lyrics.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Isn't Beer and Pretzels in a bunch of public domain DVDs, too?

From time-to-time, but it is not public domain, nor are the other Healy/Stooges MGM shorts. It usually doesn't take long before Warner Brothers' legal dept. has those discs withdrawn from the market.

Offline locoboymakesgood

From time-to-time, but it is not public domain, nor are the other Healy/Stooges MGM shorts. It usually doesn't take long before Warner Brothers' legal dept. has those discs withdrawn from the market.
That was my next question. I didn't think they were in the public domain. I know I saw most of the MGM shorts in one of those crappy DVDs in the bargain bin. I was surprised.

"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline FineBari3

Has anyone ever heard the theme song with different lyrics; It started with "all the birds in the treetops".  I looked on youtube and have searched the web for months and haven't found anything.  We are hoping that a die hard stooge fan has any info on the song?

This sounds like the Listen to the Mockingbird theme, maybe? I don't know my Stooges theme music that well!

Hey, Richard.....this is right up your alley!

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Dog Hambone

Assuming you're not referring to the Three Blind Mice theme song, that one is called "Listen To The Mockingbird". I've never heard it used with lyrics in a Three Stooges Short. It's in one of my fake books (a fake book is a songbook musicians use that just has the melody line in musical notation with the chords written in above - so the musician can "fake" it if he/she doesn't already know the song). The composer is Alice Hawthorne and the lyrics are as follows:

I'm dreaming now of Hally,
Sweet Hally, sweet Hally,
For the thought of her is one that never dies;

She's sleeping in the valley,
In the valley, in the valley,
And the mockingbird is singing where she lies.

Listen to the mockingbird,
The mockingbird still singing o'er her grave;
Still singing where the weeping willows wave.

Ah! well I yet remember,
Remember, remember,
Ah! well, I yet remember,
When we gather'd in the cotton, side by side;

'Twas in the mild September,
September, September,

In the theme song from Three Stooges shorts of the 30s, only the verse melody (I'm dreaming now of Hally) was used; the chorus (Listen to the mockingbird, listen to the mockingbird) was not included.

Speaking of trivia, does anyone know when the shorts started using Three Blind Mice instead of Listen to the Mockingbird? I know there were a few other theme songs that were only used once, but I mean as a regular, recurring theme song. While watching the new Sony sets (in the original order of their release), I thought I noticed Three Blind Mice being used for the first time in Flat Foot Stooges, but then I heard Listen to the Mockingbird being used a time or two after that before Three Blind Mice became a permanent fixture. I'll try to pay a little more attention next time I watch these sets.       

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:01:54 AM by BeAStooge »

Offline FineBari3

Assuming you're not referring to the Three Blind Mice theme song, that one is called "Listen To The Mockingbird". I've never heard it used with lyrics in a Three Stooges Short. It's in one of my fake books (a fake book is a songbook musicians use that just has the melody line in musical notation with the chords written in above - so the musician can "fake" it if he/she doesn't already know the song). The composer is Alice Hawthorne and the lyrics are as follows:

Sweet Hally, sweet Hally,
For the thought of her is one that never dies;

In the valley, in the valley,

Ah! well I yet remember,
Remember, remember,
Ah! well, I yet remember,
When we gather'd in the cotton, side by side;

September, September,

I had no idea that this song was SO sad!  The melody sounds so happy.....
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline manningtx

I am trying to find the shorts where the stooges "huddle".  It is a repeated routine and in at least one they each say "huddle" as they run around and then get into a football-like huddle.  Any hints?  Much appreciated!

Offline FineBari3

I am trying to find the shorts where the stooges "huddle".  It is a repeated routine and in at least one they each say "huddle" as they run around and then get into a football-like huddle.  Any hints?  Much appreciated!

At the very top of the web page, there are pull-down items. Go to the one that says "Stooge Info", and you will find a section called "Stooge Routines".  I would look it up myself, but I don't have any time right now!

You may have to look for awhile, as they are listed in alphabetical order, and may be listed under something else other than 'huddle'.
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline mrmurray

Hi,

Morbid questions:

When did the Howards' parents die? 

Also, when did their brother Irving die?  I think I read somewhere years ago that he died relatively young but it was so long ago I can't remember the source for verification.

Thanks

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Also, when did their brother Irving die?  I think I read somewhere years ago that he died relatively young but it was so long ago I can't remember the source for verification.

Jennie Horwitz, 9/6/39
Solomon Horwitz, 12/21/43
Each appears with DOB, DOD and filmography credits in this site's cast database.

Irving Horwitz died in August 1939.

Offline mrmurray

Thanks for the answers and for the links.  Hey, Jennie and I share a birthday. 

Sad to confirm Irving died too young.  What was the cause?

Offline curlysdame

Sad to confirm Irving died too young.  What was the cause?

I remember Joan telling me it had something to do with appendicitis.  When he died though, it was quite the family secret, because no one had the heart to tell Jennie (who was very ill at the time) that her first-born son was dead.  Then three weeks later, Jennie passed away.
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Ingarotie

Looks like you are among the unwashed masses without the ten required reply posts before you can start a new topic (4)

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Looks like you are among the unwashed masses without the ten required reply posts before you can start a new topic (4)

Five posts, and each and every one of them bitching about the rules of this site. This was one of the easiest bans of all time.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline JazzBill

Five posts, and each and every one of them bitching about the rules of this site. This was one of the easiest bans of all time.
I read his post last night. I didn't figure him to be around much longer. What took you so long ?  :laugh:
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

Thanks, Jim - I was about to do the same thing.  (And there was at least six like that - I had already deleted one of them.)   ::)

Offline FineBari3

I read his post last night. I didn't figure him to be around much longer. What took you so long ?  :laugh:

What a whiny bitch that guy was! Thanks for the ban!
Mar-Jean Zamperini

xraffle

I wonder what topic he wanted to start. I linked him to this thread hoping he would stop complaining and would post whatever question/topic he wanted over here.

Offline metaldams

Never in the history of threestooges.net has a moderator ever been late banning a troll!

(Finds out troll has been banned)

You mean I made this long, nasty trip for nothing?  What would Dunrobin say about this?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline peterstrom

I need to know the episode where the boys encounter a beehive and Moe (I think) utters the one word exclamation, "Bees!".

xraffle

I need to know the episode where the boys encounter a beehive and Moe (I think) utters the one word exclamation, "Bees!".

Welcome to the site. I believe the episode you're looking for is "Yes We Have No Bonanza."

Offline peterstrom

Wow!  Two minutes 23 seconds to get an answer.  That's service, or dare I say Super Service!  The exclamation was not as expressive as I remember, but it will definitely get the job done.

Thank you.

Offline mrmurray

Hi,

Morbid questions:

Thanks

Hello again, and thanks again for answering my questions.  I finally found out where I first heard about Irving's untimely death: "Curly," by Joan Howard.  I'm reading it again and came across the passage about Irving and Jennie dying around the same time. 

Speaking of which, what do you guys think of that book?  Jeez, Joan really tears into her grandmother, doesn't she?  Sol, too.  In his autobiography, seemed Moe had nothing but praise for his parents, while this one, Joan makes them out to be almost the villains!  Thoughts?  Good book, bad book?

Offline metaldams

Speaking of which, what do you guys think of that book?  Jeez, Joan really tears into her grandmother, doesn't she?  Sol, too.  In his autobiography, seemed Moe had nothing but praise for his parents, while this one, Joan makes them out to be almost the villains!  Thoughts?  Good book, bad book?

It's been years since I've read both books, but really, I think most families have differing views on generations, especially when they come from different cultures.  It's the same way in my family.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline mrmurray

Finished reading the "Curly" biography.  Good book all around.  My only two qualms were making Jennie Horwitz out to be some sort of mini villain in Curly's early life.  And of course, the throw away mention of Irving's death.  Just one sentence, no build up, no cause of death listed, just, "Oh yeah, Irving died three weeks before Jennie died but they didn't tell her."  Next topic.  Whaaat?  Other than that, good book, I enjoyed it.

So there's a Moe biography, a Larry biography and a Curly biography.  Someone needs to do a Shemp biography.  It would be an interesting angle, "The Stooge in the Shadows" anyone?  Wonder why Joan never tackled that one.

P.S. I laughed at that early advertisement for the Two-VHS Gift Set for ONLY $54.95.  In 1984.  In today's dollars that would be around $110.  For 6 whole episodes.  We've come a long way. [cool]