The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Some MGM Stooges on DVD, June 20

Linked Events

• DANCING LADY on DVD: June 20, 2006
  • SAN FRANCISCO on DVD: June 20, 2006
  • PLANE NUTS on DVD: June 20, 2006
  • ROAST-BEEF & MOVIES on DVD: June 20, 2006

Offline BeAStooge

June 20, Warner Bros. is releasing "Clark Gable: The Signature Collection," with six MGM Gable features:

BOOM TOWN (1940)
CHINA SEAS (1935)
MOGAMBO (1953)
WIFE VS. SECRETARY (1936)
and...

SAN FRANCISCO (1936), costarring Ted Healy

DANCING LADY (1933), costarring Ted Healy, Moe, Larry & Curly

Warner's press release says that each of the six will also be sold separately @ $19.97 SRP. The complete collection SRP is $59.92.

The bonus extras on DANCING LADY include...
ROAST-BEEF & MOVIES (1934) with Curly, Bobby Callahan & George Givot
PLANE NUTS (1933), starring Ted, Moe, Larry, Curly & Bonnie Bonnell

Warner Brothers' VP of Classic Catalog Mktg., George Feltenstein, has said that DANCING LADY has been transferred from a restoration of the original nitrate negative (thought lost in a fire in the late 1970s, but rediscovered a few years ago). Hopefully this means a scene with Larry & Ted, that has been missing from home video & TV prints for the past 25+ years will be present.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
As far as Dancing Lady is concerned ... I have a few comments:
First of all: I will quote my  thoughts in the FAN REVIEWS section of the episode:
This is one of those "no plot" movies that feature future "big-name" stars with no theme until well into the flick. THE plot point in this movie comes when Gallager (Clark Gable's character) late in the film decides to produce his own stage show. The STOOGES get very little screen time (less than 5 minutes total) as opposed to Ted Healy, who gets a minor supporting role. The GREAT moments in this film are ACTUALLY delivered by BIT PART players! (Sterling Holloway and Fred Astaire!)
AND as concerned with the Dancing Lady extras are concerened ... buy this one!
Roast Beef and Movies and Plane Nuts will showcase Curly in some of his very best, as a team member AND as a stand-alone comic. I have yet to view the Plane Nuts ep in its entirety, but of the small snippets of the movie I have viewed in the compilation flicks I have seen, this is a must own for Curly fans. I look forward to Dancing Lady's release.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.