Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Cover Songs

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
This nitpick topic is obvious ... MOST of the time, a cover song SUCKS!
(Just read some of Shemps#1 "Music that Sucks" selections and you'll see what I mean)

I'll begin with one of the mother-of-all rock tunes, I Can't Get No Satisfaction first recorded by The Rolling Stones. With its relentless, driving guitar riffs and unconventional lyrics, this tune soon won a spot in the charts and stayed there for some time. But it wasn't long until the cover-song-apes pounced upon this tune. The Troggs did a much softer version soon after the release of the original. Thereafter, a plethora of singers and groups have had their hand at a version of this tune, from Otis Redding to Aretha Franklin, and even Britany Spears! The only version I enjoy listening to besides the original is the version done by Devo, only because they did not try to make it latin flavored, or a softer version, etc ... but simply re-performed it in a similar quirky, unconventional way that the original had.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/soldonsong/songlibrary/covers/satisfaction.shtml
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline FineBari3

I always enjoy punk covers of tunes! If you are looking for strange music, go on your favorite music site and search 'punk covers'. You'll find punk versions ranging from Slim Whitman to the Monkees!

My favorite cover of all time is the heavy metal band WASP's version of 'The Real Me' from the Who. I am a HUGE Who fan, and the version is very true to the original....even down to Entwistle's bass lines, but it is certainly a heavy metal version.

All-time worst cover? "I Saw Him Standing There" by Tiffany or some other late 80s piece of crap girl singer. I remember a friend taking that tape out of the radio in his sisters car when we were driving down the road. He wrapped it around his hand and threw it out the window, leaving a trail of tape for miles.
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Dog Hambone

I admit to never having been much of an Aerosmith fan anyway, but didn't they do a cover of the Beatles' "Come Together" a few years back. In my opinion, it was truly awful, especially Tyler's "singing". (I apologize in advance if I have offended any Aerosmith devotees)

Pilsner Panther

Okay, you guys are asking for this... keep in mind, I didn't start the topic. But I just might finish it.

>:D

"We're not trying to be perfect, right, man?" —Wild Man Fischer

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline FineBari3

I admit to never having been much of an Aerosmith fan anyway, but didn't they do a cover of the Beatles' "Come Together" a few years back. In my opinion, it was truly awful, especially Tyler's "singing". (I apologize in advance if I have offended any Aerosmith devotees)

They dont even play the Beatle's version on the two stations I listen to in Pittsburgh!!! They always play the crappy Aerosmith version!

How about Johnny Cash singing NIN's 'Hurt'???? I thought it was a joke at first!
Mar-Jean Zamperini

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Okay, you guys are asking for this... keep in mind, I didn't start the topic. But I just might finish it.

Evil

"We're not trying to be perfect, right, man?" —Wild Man Fischer

I doubt if you'll finish it, Pils ...
check out THIS trash!
http://www.clivebanks.co.uk/Shatnersings.htm

Sorry, I didn't take time to see that you had included Bill's woeful rendition of Mr. Tamborine Man in your attachments ... but it does reinforce the fact that as long as there are microphones and idiots ready to use them, we'll have plenty of musical gunk to rail against.

Offline JazzBill

As a rule the cover is not as good as the original. But I always thought Joe Cocker made some good covers of some Beatle's songs. Maybe not ''as'' good but enjoyable. And then again, I always thought John Belushi did a good cover of Joe Cocker, so what do I know ?
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Pilsner Panther

I doubt if you'll finish it, Pils ...
check out THIS trash!
http://www.clivebanks.co.uk/Shatnersings.htm

Sorry, I didn't take time to see that you had included Bill's woeful rendition of Mr. Tamborine Man in your attachments ... but it does reinforce the fact that as long as there are microphones and idiots ready to use them, we'll have plenty of musical gunk to rail against.

The only intentionally bad song in that bunch I posted is Mel Blanc's takeoff on super-ham Al Jolson. Otherwise... well...
I used to have the Wild Man Fischer LP, but I sold it (now I'm sorry I did). It's just the thing to play when guests have stayed too late and you want them to go home. Fischer was a demented homeless guy who used to wander around Hollywood, "singing" for spare change. Frank Zappa uh, "discovered" him, brought him into a studio, and recorded an album, which he then released on his Bizarre/Straight record label.

Zappa built a whole, elaborate routine around trying to turn Fischer into "the next teen heart throb." This was a man who, according to people who knew him, never took a bath.

[pound]

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Ya gotta remember ... Zappa is the guy who recorded "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" and "Nanook Rubs It" fer corn's sake, and named his kids Moon Pie and Snickers (or something like that).

Pilsner Panther

Ya gotta remember ... Zappa is the guy who recorded "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" and "Nanook Rubs It" fer corn's sake, and named his kids Moon Pie and Snickers (or something like that).

Moon Unit, Ahmed, and Dweezil, to be exact. "Moon" is actually a pretty name for a girl (my ex's name is Starr, so why not?). But the boys must have gotten a terrible ribbing in school!

Zappa was one of the great eccentric geniuses of all time...  [thumbsup]

Pilsner Panther

Okay, here's one that nobody can top, for sheer awfulness. I honestly can't decide whether it's horrible accidentally or on purpose... ol' Pat does have an excellent big band behind him (which sounds kind of like Count Basie's).

But, but... what's the word I need here? Incongruous?

It seems to come from an alternate universe where Led Zeppelin was a Vegas lounge act... go figure.

???

Offline Bangsmith

• Citizen of Greater Stoogedom
  • Chucklehead
I always enjoy punk covers of tunes! If you are looking for strange music, go on your favorite music site and search 'punk covers'. You'll find punk versions ranging from Slim Whitman to the Monkees!

My favorite cover of all time is the heavy metal band WASP's version of 'The Real Me' from the Who. I am a HUGE Who fan, and the version is very true to the original....even down to Entwistle's bass lines, but it is certainly a heavy metal version.

All-time worst cover? "I Saw Him Standing There" by Tiffany or some other late 80s piece of crap girl singer. I remember a friend taking that tape out of the radio in his sisters car when we were driving down the road. He wrapped it around his hand and threw it out the window, leaving a trail of tape for miles.
You must have heard of Me First And The Gimme Gimmes. They are a Punk "supergroup" who do only covers. Their cover of Don Henley's "Boys Of Summer" was on the radio for a little while. I love the line:"Out on the road today-I saw a BLACK FLAG sticker on a Cadillac"! Also, The Revolting Cocks (Ministry with Chris Connolly singing) recorded a version of Rod Stewart's "Do You Think I'm Sexy". Best Punk cover? I think that would be Government Issue's version of Nancy Sinatra's "Boots"! Worst Punk cover? The Offspring's version of The Damned's "Smash It Up"!
"How low can a Punk get?!" Bad Brains-'Rock For Light'
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do "suck seed"!!

Offline JazzBill

I think the worst cover of a song goes to William Shatner, doing " Lucy in the Sky ". I could never figure out if he was serious or goofing around. (I now believe he was serious)
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Bangsmith

• Chucklehead
I think the worst cover of a song goes to William Shatner, doing " Lucy in the Sky ". I could never figure out if he was serious or goofing around. (I now believe he was serious)
That whole album was unreal. My choice for worst cover (non-punk) would be The Fugees' cover of "Killing Me Softly"! It actually outsold the original, for some godawful reason!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
A cover of Killing Me Softly?? ... geez

Here is an example of coverdom ...
listen and make your own judgement:

Offline Bangsmith

• Chucklehead

Yes, indeed, a cover! Roberta Flack did the original, and while lame in it's own right, the Fugees' rap version was a massacre! An example of a good cover, I think, is The Clash's version of Eddie Grant's "Police On My Back".

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Occasionaly a cover song is better than the original e.g when Lady Ree covered  Redding's Respect even otis admited several times "that girl just took my song away"  Clarence  Carter's rendition of Patches IMO far exceeded the fist version by a country singer.

Here's a bit of trivia:
Anyone know which song had 3 different versions hit the Top 40 Charts? (come to think of it, theremight 2 different correct answers for this one)
How about the only song to be number one on the Top 40 charts on 2 different occasions?
Which is the most covered song of the so-called rock n roll era?
Who had the original version of Big Brother & The Holding Company's (Janis Joplin) Piece of My Heart?  bonus, what's special about that artist?

I have known about all of these and mucho more, decades before the internet age so answer if you know without having to Google them....

S F
Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline garystooge

Occasionaly a cover song is better than the original e.g when Lady Ree covered  Redding's Respect even otis admited several times "that girl just took my song away"  Clarence  Carter's rendition of Patches IMO far exceeded the fist version by a country singer.

I think the best cover song ever was Vanilla Fudge's "You Keep Me Hangin On".  They transformed a fluffly & bouncy Motown number into something that sounds like a bad acid trip....it still sounds good today, even when straight.

Here's a bit of trivia:
Anyone know which song had 3 different versions hit the Top 40 Charts? (come to think of it, theremight 2 different correct answers for this one)

Would "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" be one of them? Love that CCR version.

Which is the most covered song of the so-called rock n roll era?

"Yesterday" ????

Offline Bangsmith

• Chucklehead

I think the best cover song ever was Vanilla Fudge's "You Keep Me Hangin On".  They transformed a fluffly & bouncy Motown number into something that sounds like a bad acid trip....it still sounds good today, even when straight.

Would "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" be one of them? Love that CCR version.

"Yesterday" ????
Great band!!!!! Most of Vanilla Fudge's first album was cover tunes, and the one you mention is a total blockbuster!! Also, does anyone know how many cover versions there are of Bob Dylan's "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue"? I know The Grateful Dead, Steve Howe(solo), and The Chocolate Watch Band all covered it, but there must be others!

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Re: Aerosmith's Come Together
This was recorded for the musical abomination that was Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band The Movie, which I inducted into MTS awhile back.

The song with 3 different versions to hit the Top 40 that I can think of is I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Gaye, Knight, CCR)

The most covered song is indeed Yesterday

Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton recorded the original Piece of My Heart. I'm not sure what you mean by "special", other than she had a hell of a set of pipes on her. Perhaps the fact that she recorded original Hound Dog is what you were looking for.

The question about a song being #1 on two different occasions, I can't pinpoint it right now. I know I've come across that tidbit somewhere...I'll have to get back to you.

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Ok, I'll guess It's Now Or Never by Elvis. I remember it having a comeback recently.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Shemoeley Fine

Aretha Franklin's sister, Irma had the original version of Piece of my Heart, hence the "speical connection"

I just realized there are 3 songs that charted Top 40 3 times,
Dedicated to the One I Love has charted 3 times by different groups, the first time by the extremely under rated and often forgotten, 5 Royales with their brilliant guitarist  Lowman Pauling. This group was B A D.
After the 5 Royales, the Shirelles and Mamas & Papas all charted with it.  Locomotion by Little Eva, Grand Funk Railroad and then Lilie Monogue also charted 3 times, the first 2 were number 1's.  The one I forgot about was I Heard It Through the Grapevine, my favorite version being Gladys Knight & The Pips, the other 2 charters as indicated by Gary Stooge were Marvin Gaye and CCR.

During the 60's it was common for a newly penned song by a Motown composer to be recorded by several roster artists to see which would do the best, there are many hit Motown songs that have 2 or 3 other previous or subsequent versions by other groups, often better versions.

Chubby Checker's cover version of The Twist is the only song to hit number one on 2 different occasions, I believe it was 1960 and then '61. Another King label group that is extremely under rated is Hank Ballard and the Midnighters who launched the famous Annie series with several sequels and dozens of answers songs, a virtually forgotten art.  The twist as a dance goes back to the early 1950's in the Black community, the original early 1950's Drifters with Clyde McPhatter(what a voice, he was Sam Cooke before Sam) had a song, Whatcha' Gonna Do, considered the first twist song. Dick Clark's wife baptized Ernest Evans Chubby Checker as a reference to Fats Domino.

Yesterday and then Louie, Louie are the 1-2 most covered songs of the rock era.

I was lucky to have met Big Mama Thornton in the late 1970's at a concert of oldies R n B stars organized by the Godfather of Rn B-Johnny Otis in Los Angeles. Besides her own material she did a great tribute to her competitor-friend Big Maybelle who had recently died and did a great vesrsion of Whole Lotta Shaking Goin On that was Big Maybelle's song before Jerry Lewis.

I am an oldies fan going back to my teens in the early 60's, I'll turn 56 in a few weeks so I have accumulated tonnage of trivia and knowledge through experience of radio listening and collecting, after my own Cuban and salsa music which I perform as a part time musician, my favorite music is late 1940's through mid 60's, RnB, vocal harmony(misnamed doo-wop), jump blues and soul. Second favorite late 1960's through mid '70's funk, then came disco to ruin everything.

S F

Los Tres Chiflados son The Three Stooges
Ma'. Lorenzito y Rizzado

Offline FineBari3

Yeah! A lot of the punk bands seem to do covers of really bad 70's AM stuff....Probably the songs that they grew up with, like I did.
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline FineBari3

Aretha Franklin's sister, Irma had the original version of Piece of my Heart, hence the "speical connection"

Locomotion by Little Eva, Grand Funk Railroad and then Lilie Monogue also charted 3 times, the first 2 were number 1's. 

S F

There was a crappy 1980's version of the Locomotion...late 1980's, buy some female singer like Tiffany or some other mall rat. I dont know if it went top 10 though.

Locomotion has been a hit in every decade since the 1960s, I thought. When did the last version come out?
Mar-Jean Zamperini

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
That's Kylie Minogue who came out with a cover of Loco Motion in the late 1980's.