Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Cover Songs

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Here's one tune that was silly to start with ... didn't need America's song butchers to make this one a guffaw getter!

[removed by moderator]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 06:13:47 PM by Giff me dat fill-em! »
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Here's one from the early days of TV ... The show Have Gun, Will Travel (1957 - 1963) starred Richard Boone. The show followed the adventures of Paladin, a gentleman-turned-gunfighter who preferred to settle problems without violence, yet, when forced to fight, excelled. When working, he dressed in black, used calling cards and wore a holster which carried characteristic chess knight emblems, and carried a derringer under his belt.

A proper turn for the TV's theme song came in this rib-tickling remake of the Paladin song.

[removed by moderator]
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 01:28:38 PM by Giff me dat fill-em! »

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Although NOT officially a cover song, this tune by the Galvatrons (2008 - to release their first album soon) is so similar to the 1980's Devo tune "That's Good" that I thought it worth noting. Also, wikipedia mentioned Devo as one of The Galvatrons' main influences.

It's nice to see that weird-ass, odd, idiotic, funky music is still sorta-kinda popular.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Speaking of cover songs, I didn't know until just the other day that the Three Dog Night hit "One" was actually a cover and Harry Nilsson was the originator.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

stooged and confused

It's funny that you guys bring this up, but my book mentions this very fact, along with lots of other information regarding covers and who did them originally.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well it was weird, I had my Windows Media Player on shuffle and TDN's "One" comes on and the composer info scrolled along saying "Harry Nilsson". I then looked it up on Wikipedia and sure enough Nilsson performed the original. I'm a fan of both so I found the Nilsson version and while it is good TDN's cover trumps it.

I am surprised nobody called out Shemoley a few years back. I did a quick Google search and found that the two most covered songs are both Beatles songs: "Yesterday" of course and surprisingly enough "Eleanor Rigby". Some sites even had Rigby ahead of Yesterday, and "Louie Louie was nowhere on any of those lists.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

My favorite covers:

[youtube=425,350]gi26YiMd1ys[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]mIC7KQPDuDc[/youtube]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline FineBari3

[headbang] [headbang] [headbang] [headbang]

Who's song is "Diamonds and Rust"?

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams

[headbang] [headbang] [headbang] [headbang]

Who's song is "Diamonds and Rust"?

Joan Baez.  Halford sings that song beautifully.

As for "House of the Rising Sun," not sure who does the original, but I found out recently Bob Dylan covered it on his first album. 

- Doug Sarnecky

stooged and confused

I think you guys will really like my project. So much of this material is covered in my book. Anyway, all of Three Dog Night's hits were composed by well known writers like Nilsson, Hoyt Axton, Leo Sayer and Paul Williams. Wikipedia is an ok source, but it contains much false information.

My favorite covers..I'll have to think about that. Most covers don't due justice to the originals, but there are some cases where the covers exceed the original versions. One that does stand out is Benjamin Gibbard's acoustic version of the Tracey Ulman hit of the 80's "They Don't Know". I also like the Jeffrey Gaines version of "In Your Eyes" much more than the Peter Gabriel standard.

stooged and confused

Joan Baez.  Halford sings that song beautifully.

As for "House of the Rising Sun," not sure who does the original, but I found out recently Bob Dylan covered it on his first album. 

"House Of The Rising Sun" is a traditional folk song by Josh White that was adapted by The Animals' Alan Price.

Offline FineBari3

Here's a cover that I bet you didn't know; The Knack covering The Kink's "The Hard Way".

The Knack was a band that I thought was a one-hit band, but their work stands up today, and also had some of the filthiest lyrics around.

Lead singer Doug Fieger passed away last week after a batttle with cancer. He was 57.

Did anybody ever see The Knack live? I bet they were great in person.

[youtube=425,350]Xk0lzdV0HSw[/youtube]
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline metaldams

Here's a cover that I bet you didn't know; The Knack covering The Kink's "The Hard Way".

The Knack was a band that I thought was a one-hit band, but their work stands up today, and also had some of the filthiest lyrics around.

Lead singer Doug Fieger passed away last week after a batttle with cancer. He was 57.

Did anybody ever see The Knack live? I bet they were great in person.

[youtube=425,350]Xk0lzdV0HSw[/youtube]

Whoa! I'll have to check that out tonight when I'm not at work and can check out youtube.  I'm a really a big Kinks fan, and "The Hard Way" isn't exactly a predictable choice.  There was a priod in the late 70's and early 80's where EVERYBODY was doing Kinks covers.  I think that's one of the reasons why they got their second wave of commercial success in America.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I think you guys will really like my project. So much of this material is covered in my book.

Just let us know when we can pre-order it, I remember you said it'll be available in May.  I'll definitely check it out.
- Doug Sarnecky